• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

Camjo-Z

ER4jGt8.png

Developer: Konami / Hexadrive
Genre: Party / Action
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: March 3rd, 2017
Price: $49.99 / £49.99 / €49.99

HgddH6q.png

Story Mode - After a 20 year hiatus, the Super Bomberman series makes its long-awaited comeback on Switch! Choose from the eight members of the Bomberman Bros. and travel through over 50 stages across five worlds in single-player or local co-op to defeat the evil Buggler and his Five Dastardly Bombers. For the newcomers among you, Bomberman is a game where you traverse grid-based stages using bombs to defeat enemies and the occasional boss. The challenge lies in not only avoiding the baddies and hazards, but also making sure you don't blow yourself up with friendly fire. Note: don't expect a story mode like that of Bomberman 64, Bomberman Quest, or any of the other non-traditional entries, as this game is not like those games. It sticks strictly to its old-school identity while also including modern features such as 3D graphics and voiced cutscenes.

Battle Mode - Of course, it wouldn't be a Bomberman game without multiplayer! The gameplay is much the same as the Story Mode, only instead of slow-moving AI you have to contend with intelligent humans trying to trap you in a corner with various deadly explosives. Though not as extensively customizable as some previous Bomberman games, the maps come complete with stage gimmicks, revenge carts, power-ups, and special abilities. You can play with up to 8 players locally by using 8 controllers with a single Switch, or 4 Switch consoles with 2 controllers each. There's also 4-player online play with a lobby system, though it's quite laggy at the moment and Konami is looking into it.

In-Game Shop - Gems earned through playing the game can be used to buy cosmetics for your Bomber, as well as new maps/characters for multiplayer and extra continues for Story Mode.

viJj4oK.png

xt90OHp.png

Nintendo Life - 8/10

If you're looking to share the joy with your friends at launch, Super Bomberman R is your best bet, but for those flying solo, it might be a less fulfilling experience.

Cubed3 - 8/10

The White Bomber and family head up a worthy return for the Nintendo Switch. Barring hiccups with online lag and repetitious voice clips, Super Bomberman R is a satisfying candidate for multiplayer competitions and online battles.

Destructoid - 7/10

It's Bomberman, man. It feels like an arcade game with a $50 price tag. The campaign isn't as strong as it could be, but there's enough here to keep the series going until Konami can muster up a little more for the next iteration.

Metro - 6/10

Bomberman itself is still a classic, and works very well on the Switch, but the insanely high price makes this impossible to recommend.

The Sixth Axis - 6/10

Bomberman R isn't remotely a £50 game. It is, at its base, a solid entry in a much-loved franchise, and one that plays to the Nintendo Switch's strengths, even if will require plenty of investment to get the most out of it. The current online woes also do little to make it feel like a well-rounded package, making it difficult to recommend to anyone but the most committed Bomberman fan.

Attack of the Fanboy

If you really love Bomberman's signature multiplayer, or if you really have to have a new Switch game, then Super Bomberman R will serve its purpose.

2iWl4Vc.png

vw9vaE3.png

This isn't bomberman 64 :(
Lol wat at that last text message

I think I'll pick this up tomorrow at GameStop

8 players online or 4 players?

Camjo-Z

This isn't bomberman 64 :(
Lol wat at that last text message

I think I'll pick this up tomorrow at GameStop

8 players online or 4 players?

The site says that up to 4 Switch consoles can connect for multiplayer, which I think means it's 4 player online with 8 players only possible if everyone has a second local player with them, but I can't confirm it yet.

Malus

Still plan on at least renting it since it looked fun in the trailer. Never played a Bomberman before.

Awesome OT in light of the negativity surrounding the game hahah. I'm sure this will be a fine package if you love Bomberman and want more with a modern coat of paint.

Savitar

Curious to see what people think of this, as much as I want Zelda a real good Bomberman game is something I crave.

Meohsix

So there's costumes you can unlock and collect for multiplayer?
That was one of me and my cousin's favorite things in Bomberman ultra on ps3

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow on my way home from work.

Hopefully we can get some GAF lobbies/games going this weekend.

Seik

Banned
Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

Hope this will be a long lasting, healthy thread. 😁

Great OT by the way!

Question: is local multiplayer only two players per Switch? I was hoping for 4 players per screen like old school Bomberman on the SNES. Then I could bring it to trivia night for some arcade style action.

SenkiDala

Bought the game today yesterday (March 2nd, it's 2.18am March 3rd here in France), and I'm getting my Switch in a few hours! Can't wait to play this. Great OT!

ManeKast

Bought it hour 1. Its GREAT FUN.

Need a GAF list/lobby. Hard tonfind matches but you guys arent live yet, right? (USA)?

I'd be interested to hear impressions of the game from BomberGAF. I really liked Bomberman as a kid and haven't really played any of the games since Bomberman Hero. I remember getting a few Zelda-like adventure games for the GameBoy that had awesome music, I remember being bad at them though!

Pein

Banned
I'm probably gonna buy this when I go to pick up my switch, only if they actually have extra copies seeing as I only preordered zelda.

The site says that up to 4 Switch consoles can connect for multiplayer, which I think means it's 4 player online with 8 players only possible if everyone has a second local player with them, but I can't confirm it yet.

WHOA. I am going to return the game if it isn't just straight up eight player lobbies.

Are you sure that isn't referring to local wireless multiplayer?

Already got my copy via Best Buy shipping it out. Switch, Zelda, screen protector and Pro Controller are coming sometime tomorrow from Best Buy (Switch, Pro Controller) and Amazon (Zelda, Screen Protector). Hope to get them all by the time I get home tomorrow.

I'll probably try Bomberman first, getting through some of the campaign and stuff with my little brother.

Great OT!

hutna

My purchase hinges on if my wife and I can play online together (2p on one Switch playing online).

Looks like from the link the kind bomberman posted below it is possible. Purchase confirmed.

Stopdoor

I'm pretty interested in knowing the controller compatibility, and flexibility of wireless LAN and Online. Can you use 8 pairs of Joy-cons/Pro Controllers rather than just single Joy-cons, can you connect 2 Switches for 4 & 4 players, etc.? Will be hard to find anyone to test that this early though, haha.

I'm enjoying it, though I'm not completely used to the slightly tilted camera angle.

I haven't played any multiplayer yet, but I'm meeting up with friends on the weekend.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Was waiting for this OT to drop.

Looking forward to reading some impressions and sinking my teeth into this game

Really excited for this game since its been forever since another Bomberman.

Does anybody that has this now know if there's a leaderboard online?

lt519

Haha that last answer, great OT, can't wait to get some rounds in this weekend. Will post my friend code or whatever it is that's needed later tonight.

japtor

So does this actually have download play (i.e. single cart multi system multiplayer) or was that tweet a while back just misinterpreted?

Edit: I have this ordered too, Visa Checkout deal and BB GCU made it ~$30 basically. But I couldn't get a system preordered sooo...

Stopdoor

So does this actually have download play (i.e. single cart multi system multiplayer) or was that tweet a while back just misinterpreted?

Edit: I have this ordered too, Visa Checkout deal and BB GCU made it ~$30 basically. But I couldn't get a system preordered sooo...

I haven't heard anything about this and tried googling it, and this is the only "evidence" I can find. Seems extremely flimsy, "Local multiplayer with one game" easily describes plain multiplayer on 1 Switch. There's been zero real hints at Download Play being a thing on Switch, I don't think it's worth hoping for.

https://twitter.com/KONAMIFR/status/826004620325560322?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Bane

Got this for $21 at Best Buy but am keeping it sealed until more impressions come out. I really hope it's fine.

I am ready and waiting... Bomberman and Zelda tonight. Switch tomorrow from Amazon. I cannot wait to exchange some friend codes and actually play with some people.

Top Bottom