• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried to play Horizon after Zelda, and the lack of motion control aiming upset me

impirius

I started Horizon, put it on hold for a BOTW playthrough, and had a rough time adjusting to the lack of gyro fine-tuning when I went back. For a game like this that puts such an emphasis on targeting specific weak points and has a hold-to-aim button, gyro would be a perfect fit.

Smeags

I remember Rich from Previously Recorded also commenting on the two control styles back when they reviewed both games. Rich comes from a PC background so he wasn't thrilled with the dual analog aiming while appreciating how gyro assisted aiming really helped with that precision he desired.

Brix

Beat Horizon, played Zelda after. I enjoyed Horizon more. Better protagonist, better story, better combat, better stealth (hacking machines), better soundtrack, better performance. Breath of the wild is still a great game, but I prefer Horizon.

PetrCobra

Beat Horizon, played Zelda after. I enjoyed Horizon more. Better protagonist, better story, better combat, better stealth (hacking machines), better soundtrack, better performance. Breath of the wild is still a great game, but I prefer Horizon.

Okay but would you say that the aiming in Horizon could be improved by gyro fine tuning or not.

A great game design is one that is simple to play but difficult to master. BOTW is one of the few games where it would appear simple but is surprisingly deep and complex if you approached combat and traversal outside of conventional modern gameplay sensibility.

I see so many post of people complaining about BOTW's weapon durability. I guess those posters never did anything outside of fighting enemies head on with weapons. That is the beauty of BOTW, it allows all sorts of gameplay style and reward each type accordingly.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

These are so awesome lol.

I don't know why these games always dissolve into a pissing contest between the two, can't they both just be great lol

Gyro aiming is awesome, there's almost always sensitivity settings, and as others have mentioned, options are always great.

I've never played Zelda, but I'm sure it's gyro aiming is great. Horizon would have been even better with it, especially considering the bullet time during focus. Guerilla has been wonderful regarding support, so maybe we can get an option for it.

Brix

Okay but would you say that the aiming in Horizon could be improved by gyro fine tuning or not.

I didn't really like the gyro aiming, I turned it off after a couple of hours. But if people really love the feature Guerrilla Games could implement a patch. More options is always a plus.

Bold One

Come the fuck on man, you know damn well you acted like the entirety of the Zelda fanbase loves to shit on Horizon. That's what you wrote in your original comment, which still is an interesting way of starting participation btw. If you meant "certain" fans in your head, you certianly didn't write that. And now acting like people will jump down everyone's throat who has whatever problem with the game is simply disingenuous. Don't see much stanning in here.

And before you tell me to move on already again maybe stop taking quips at me in posts not directed at me. That kinda stuff is real petty when you didn't feel the need to react to my last post adressed at you.

you're so precious, you're starting to grow on me

tumblr_static_dn5dkf40i9s04k0ggosggsoso.gif

Wamb0wneD

you're so precious, you're starting to grow on me

Yeah, keep talking shit and act like you have some kind of high ground without owning up to the bs you get called out on, that'll show me. Pretty telling you didn't answer the other guy's post that was directly under mine as well, btw.

If that was supposed to be ban-bait you need to work on that.

Yeah, keep talking shit and act like you have some kind of high ground without owning up to the bs you get called out on, that'll show me. Pretty telling you didn't answer the other guy's post as well. If that was supposed to be ban-bait you need to work on that.

.. Why are you losing your cool?

Mailbox

I use a Steam Controller, so every game I play on PC uses motion controls for fine-tune aiming (yeah,yeah, sorry i ain't a kb/m kinda guy). After playing on pc w/ that fine tune control even w/ a ds4 on steam, its definitely hard to go back.

Nabs

The PS4 gyro is quite good, it's a shame it's being wasted. I use the Steam Controller Gyro for just about every game I can. If there's shooting or even driving, then I'm throwing gyro on it.

Mezoly

I only like gyro aiming when in handheld mode in Zelda. When I play with pro controller, I don't like it as much due to it being less needed with the Pro controller.

I played Horizon before Zelda so I wouldn't know what to think if it was the other way around, so while I was playing Horizon I never thought aiming needs to get better. In fact I thought pretty much it was perfect.

Sure an option wouldn't be bad, but motion controls are frowned upon among PS4/Xbox one players.

Wamb0wneD

.. Why are you losing your cool?

Am I? Good to know, thanks. Didn't notice.

Don't worry about my cool, the guy is obviously trolling. The other poster adressing him actually put effort in his response and Bold One straight up ignored him.

What i know is that I'm seriously off topic and I'd like to change that, problem is half the thread is not talking about the topic at hand lol.

Maybe I misread, but there were a couple of posts that I felt deviated a bit from the OP's point into a motion controls vs analog argument. Either way, I've never been too hot on motion controls, but I wouldn't mind trying a system like BOTW's.

I haven't seen every post in the thread but I haven't read any of that. But yeah, it's definitely worth giving this type of gyro aiming a try. It's incredibly intuitive once it clicks (which took me about 5 minutes but YMMV) and it really improves your firing rate and accuracy.

I'm sure it's not for everyone though.

None of that has to do with the topic here which is the gyro aiming implementation in BotW, and how other games would benefit from having that option too.

Admodieus

One of the first things I did was turn it off, was genuinely game ruining for me.

If the day ever comes that shit is mandatory and not a toggle I'll be fine with gaming

HZD has better combat as well. Zelda is mechanically a very very simple game.

Agreed. Zelda combat is fine but I had far more challenging and engaging encounters in Horizon. Fighting a Stormbird high up on a snowy mountain was such an incredible experience.

Wamb0wneD

Agreed. Zelda combat is fine but I had far more challenging and engaging encounters in Horizon. Fighting a Stormbird high up on a snowy mountain was such an incredible experience.

I would agree as well if he wasn't talking about Zelda's mechanics in general, outside of combat. Then his statement becomes ridiculous.

NotLiquid

No reason not to have the option in games that aren't Nintendo games. Now that controllers feature gyro capabilities they should take full advantage of it. BoTW and Splatoon have some of the best controls out of any game with shooting/aiming elements because of it and nowadays it annoys me to no end when I play a TPS on a controller that I'm not getting anywhere near the same level of accuracy.

schopaia

That would be awful. Aiming something like a bow without pointer controls? No thanks.

Haven't played BoTW or Majora's Mask 3D yet, but I don't think I'd bother with gyro aiming controls in those games. I assume you can't use Wiimote/nunchuck or touchscreen for aiming in those games?

Why don't playstation games implement it? See Exhibit A above. People get mad at things they don't understand, and playstation brand as a whole is very risk averse this generation.

The emotional angle in the thread title is awesome. I picture op getting teary eyed moaning softly, then dropping the controller to bury his face in a pillow and sobbing.

Gaenor

Banned
I never play with motion control on, but the more options the better.

And I'm late af, but that guy though :
onemanasylum
Banned

Like clockwork, he's always getting himself banned. Reminds me of :

tumblr_mpnkpzTcDp1somw7ho1_500.gif

HeroR

People on this site hear motion controls and get trigger. It's especially funny when most turn them off without using them or get mad for even asking for the motion control option.

But I'm not surprise. I saw a thread trying to say that keyboard and mouse shouldn't be allowed on consoles. Apparently, Duel Sticks is the only accepted control scheme for consoles.

The lack of PS4 games supporting optional gyro aiming is absolutely baffling. It's not for everyone, and I honestly think outright replacing the right stick with a Steam Controller-esque trackpad would be even better, but having that extra precision is a godsend.

Seriously, if more PS4 exclusives had that option I wouldn't be using remote play to play Uncharted and Destiny with a mouse, and I'll probably be doing the same thing for Horizon when I eventually get it. Pure dual-stick aiming is cancer.

Nosgotham

I turned off the gyro immediately. Absolutely hate it.

sounds like you didn't attempt to give it a chance. it makes aiming so much better because you still aim with the sticks, just use motion to make tiny nuanced controls to perfect the shot. its much more precise and fluid

I wonder sometimes if all of us who prefer the Nintendo method of gyro-assisted aiming are also folks who grew up playing shooters on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. Perhaps the "turned off gyro immediately" people are just only acquainted with dual sticks, and therefore lack a real appreciation of the fine movements possible with sticks + gyro and mouse + keyboard?

In Splatoon, the combination of the sticks and the gyro are essentially equivalent to WASD and mouse. If you don't have experience with WASD and mouse, perhaps this simply doesn't click for you!

I know that feel of being on an upgrade mission. I just feel like that's not what BotW is good at so I try to avoid it as much as possible.
Getting all Personas in P5 is more fun.

I have been programmed to play games in this particular style for so long.

I ant to play Persona 5, just don't have the time to fit it in this year.

Exactly. Fuck these things, seriously. Now everytime I'm near Death Mountain I get flashbacks of these little assholes.

Lmao

Same... sometimes I wonder if it's worth fighting against it. Trying to scratch that itch is going to hamper my Zelda experience, fighting against the urge might as well though. We are cursed!

Pretty much mate.

I had the feeling every Dragon always spawned at two different locations and it's random where they'll show up. the problem stays the same though, wonder and excitement become doing chores to do checklist stuff like in every other open world game. Granted the dragons are cooler fetch quest amterial than 99% of other stuff but it still becomes a chore.

Once you figure out that it's not random, the excitement you once felt sort of disappears.

And yeah visually it's the most striking among the fetch quests.

]
Dunno if that was a rethorical question since we can't really tell but the trials are neat yes. Not $20 neat but I was getting that stuff anyway, I'm a sucker for Zelda (except Skyward Sword... Ugh.)

Nah I wanted to know your opinion. I was interested in the season pass until I saw what they were actually offering.

Yeah thats another bane of gaming lol. No can do about that, and I guess as a hoarder people will find weapons they like breaking easily a pain in the ass.

Kind of glad that I'm only a hoarder in the virtual world lol

Well i guess they are bigger than average weapons so they cancel out their range a bit.
Also aren't there bows that shoot 5 arrows at once? Some really broken stuff especially because Bows for some reason break waaay slower than normal weapons. No clue what's up with that.

Yup. I think 3 and 5 arrow bows break faster than the single ones.

Bows are the best weapon against Lynels.

It's funny you edited this an hour or so after you posted it ( so I didn't see it ) then PM'd me still salty 3 days later that I said something unflattering about your favourite game.

If you want to address me , do it publicly.

Weirdo.
Lol did you really just air grievances over a private PM?

Reg

Banned
It's funny you edited this an hour or so after you posted it ( so I didn't see it ) then PM'd me still salty 3 days later that I said something unflattering about your favourite game.

Weirdo.

lol hilarious. Some people need to relax.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This thread is an embarrassment. OP said he likes gyro aiming and wishes other games had it. Thread blows up into nonsense for hundreds of posts.

AGITΩ

This thread came to mind today on the title alone. Picked up Horizon the other day ave finally started playing it today. Gotta say i agree. After zelda botw and splatoon 2, its hard to aim in this game with out the gyro.
Its become second nature by this point for me. And i know the DS4 has the tech but its rarely used. So what's the deal? At least allow the option for it. Id enjoy the combat more in the game if motion were added.

Both games are amazing. Both games have faults. Both games are incredible experiences that everyone should try. Even if they don't like it in the end or, I guess, read the ending on Reddit and decide not to play it anymore.

In a way, both games compliment each other!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Weirdo.

off-topic stuff is usually further discussed in PMs.

Top Bottom