• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried to play Horizon after Zelda, and the lack of motion control aiming upset me

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Agreed here too.

Find myself constantly emptying arrows everywhere but my target due to imprecise fine-tuned jerky movements using the stick(not all the time, but often enough when it matters). It's almost like a comedy reel for laughs as my arrows are constantly flinging several feet off course as I make attempts to correct my aim as the bots lurch toward me. Can be really difficult to make minor adjustments with the stick especially when backpeddling or strafing on the move yourself.

By the way, does BotW on Switch allow proper pointer aiming with the joycon? (I have only played the Wii U with the usual accelerometer stuff)

Gyro controls less accurate than analog sticks... wtf am I reading. That's demonstrably false.

Feel free to prefer sticks only but they are less accurate.

They have robot dinos in the game.

Even fantasy games need to be grounded in reality to some extent. Otherwise it would all be obscure, vague, abstract garbage.

Jeez guys. All I'm saying is I don't like the hitscan feel of the bows in HZD, you don't need to be so hurt about it.

phanphare

Banned
After reading the Splatoon thread, it would appear people don't want motion aiming in games

that's just a bunch of new players who haven't given the control method enough time

there is a learning curve to gyro assisted aim and many people just get instantly turned off and don't give it a proper shake beyond that

if you look to the competitive splatoon community you'll see unanimous agreement on motion controls, even by those who prefer to use only the sticks

parabolee

Could not agree more!!! I am at a loss that it has not caught on more. Ever since Uncharted Golden Compass and Killzone on the Vita, I have sworn by it!

Thankfully with Steam (and DS4Windows/Inputmapper before it) you can add to all PC games.

Is Gyro aiming where you need to actually move the Switch to aim like in the Splatoon 2 demo?
It's actually moving the controllers, not the Switch itself

And Splatoon uses a hybrid, analog stick for big movements and motion for precise aiming

Because motion is more precise than analog

Floody

I feel the same, OP.

HZD does a poor job overall with bow combat, it's amazing how many people don't seem to be bothered by it.

The arrows at full draw have basically no drop due to gravity, no arc or curve at all. They're pretty much hitscan weapons. You don't have to lead your target or aim above an enemy to account for curvature. It's so weird, why are people okay with bow combat behaving this way?

This coupled with analog sticks makes it feel so...jarring.

Higher difficulties would be near impossible if you had to lead your shots in any major way, most machine move too fast at close to mid ranged, that you'd pretty much only be able to hit them in a weak point right after dodging.
Also I'm pretty sure they adjust the auto-aim the higher you go, nothing too crazy mind, but enough to make stuff like Glithawks massive arseholes to fight on Ultra Hard, as you need to lead your shots a lot more.

It would make combat massively frustrating. In case you didn't know....Horizon has certain areas on the bots that open up more damage situations. Coupled with trying to aim for those spots,the enemy, moving and having to worry about bow drop and gravity....that's not fun. At all.

This is literally how bow combat works in Zelda, though (with motion aiming, even!), and that's a game that seems to be much more popular than Horizon.

Jackano

Weird thread guys.

Looks like there is a group of people totally accustomed to motion controls like OP and thinking it's standard to the industry now;

And another group who still is so stranger to the thing like it still is 2006 motion controls.

In both case, what a long way since the wiimote.

Gyro aiming is great. Think it's better in the 3DS remakes, but it's still pretty great here.

Shame that people made their minds up about the technology despite it being fundamentally different to waggle back in 06

Dremorak

Banned
This thread just goes to show there are still people out there with crazy levels of motion control stigma. They hear the term and instantly they are thinking of kids waggling wiimote in wiisports and how casual all these people must be with their talking about motion controls.

If they really gave it a good chance they would see that its much more intuitive and fast for your hands to aim an object in your hands than move a stick. And when you combine the two, stick for broad movements and motion for fine movements, it works super well.

After reading the Splatoon thread, it would appear people don't want motion aiming in games
Happened with the first Splatoon as well. It's new to a lot of people so it takes a bit of time to adjust.

New things scare people. See: this thread, or for example the negative control reviews of the first time dual analog was standard in a FPS.

The good Splatoon players will adjust and use motion, because generally you will get clowned on if you stick to analog only.

MUnited83

For you.
LOL, inaccurate? how? There is nothing weird about the combat it works, has weight, gives the player lots of options and utility..I mean it is praised for a reason. Some of the best bow combat ever. You know analog is more accurate then motion controls right? It's why no one competitively would use motion controls.

Factually false.

theWB27

Even fantasy games need to be grounded in reality to some extent. Otherwise it would all be obscure, vague, abstract garbage.

Jeez guys. All I'm saying is I don't like the hitscan feel of the bows in HZD, you don't need to be so hurt about it.

Most of Horizon is grounded in realism....but the way they have combat would make having more realistic bow behavior a big chore on the combat. I couldn't imagine trying to take down a bird while being attacked by a ground enemy and worrying about bow drop.

NM...I'm done talking to you. Damn why do so many people pretend a simple conversation means feelings are involved.

This is literally how bow combat works in Zelda, though (with motion aiming, even!), and that's a game that seems to be much more popular than Horizon.

Enemies have those same hitpoints as Horizon on the enemies? Certain arrows do certain damage to certain areas and enemies have parts that fall off and all?

Most of Horizon is grounded in realism....but the way they have combat would make having more realistic bow behavior a big chore on the combat. I couldn't imagine trying to take down a bird while being attacked by a ground enemy and worrying about bow drop.

NM...I'm done talking to you. Damn why do so many people pretend a simple conversation means feelings are involved.

Apologies, I wasn't referring to you in particular, but another poster on here. Just feels like people are piling on because I'm insulting their precious game, if I'm honest.

But regarding it being too difficult, that is how bows behave in BotW. Sure, it might be a little more difficult to hit a moving target, having to take into account gravity, but it makes landing that shot all the more satisfying.

You have to do that in BotW too. Maybe Zelda players are just more advanced than HZD players?

Maybe if HZD had motion controls, it would be possible.

Wereroku

I hated the gyro I'm botw. Haven't played much of horizon though so not as familiar. Also why are people still using Zelda to rag on horizon at this point it feels like Zelda fans have an agenda.

It would make combat massively frustrating. In case you didn't know....Horizon has certain areas on the bots that open up more damage situations. Coupled with trying to aim for those spots,the enemy, moving and having to worry about bow drop and gravity....that's not fun. At all.

You have to do that in BotW too. Maybe Zelda players are just more advanced than HZD players?

And since people are not going to catch feelings, I'm being facetious to make a point.

Gyro in Splatoon is actually very good too, but it takes getting used to since it locks the Y axis on the analog stick.
It's really good on handheld mode but a bit harder with the pro controller. You need to get used to it but if you do it could be your method of choice.
Trying it for 3 minutes and going "never again" isn't a good way of learning, tho
I hated the gyro I'm botw. Haven't played much of horizon though so not as familiar. Also why are people still using Zelda to rag on horizon at this point it feels like Zelda fans have an agenda.
Probably would've been best without the comparison since it'll muddy the discussion on both sides

Enemies have those same hitpoints as Horizon on the enemies? Certain arrows do certain damage to certain areas and enemies have parts that fall off and all?

Headshotting enemies does double damage (and is the most reliable way to take out sentries before they warn the camp).

Some enemies need to be stunned by shooting them in very precise locations. (Those infamous Guardians will be MOVING while you do this, and if you don't shoot them fast enough they will often one-shot you.)

Every boss has a pinpoint weak spot that can be shot with arrows.

There are giant flying dragons that you need to hit in specific spots to farm dragon materials.

And you need to hit these things with arced shots, unless you acquire rare/expensive bows that shoot perfectly straight.

Floody

Apologies, I wasn't referring to you in particular, but another poster on here. Just feels like people are piling on because I'm insulting their precious game, if I'm honest.

But regarding it being too difficult, that is how it works in Zelda. Sure, it might be a little more difficult to hit a moving target, having to take into account gravity, but it makes hitting a target all the more satisfying.

Sure, but in Horizon you'd have to hit it multiple time to remove the armour plating, protecting it's weak points, then hit it at least a few more times in the same spot, whilst also dealing with a few other machines, all with different weaknesses that all can kill you in a few hits. Any sort of satisfaction will be massively outweighed by frustration.

Picked up Titanfall 2 recently and had the same reaction. Dug through the menus because I was sure that it should be in every game now.

Who are these people assuming games automatically have motion aiming in 2017? Have you avoided every non-Nintendo platform since 2013?

I feel like I just traveled back in time.

EhoaVash

Lol in my 161 hours of breath of the wild playthrough i never used the gyro aiming for bows outside those bad motion controlled shrine puzzle.

It's because I played the game with Wii u pro pad.

theWB27

Headshotting enemies does double damage (and is the most reliable way to take out sentries before they warn the camp).

Some enemies need to be stunned by shooting them in very precise locations. (Those infamous Guardians will be MOVING while you do this, and if you don't shoot them fast enough they will often one-shot you.)

Every boss has a pinpoint weak spot that can be shot with arrows.

There are giant flying dragons that you need to hit in specific spots to farm dragon materials.

And you need to hit these things with arced shots, unless you acquire rare/expensive bows that shoot perfectly straight.

So I'll take that as a no.

So I'll take that as a no.
Then you're being obscenely intellectually dishonest.

The answer is "yes, enemies have precise weak points that you have to shoot at with your bow to take advantage of."

But the implementation obviously isn't identical to Horizon, so I elaborated on all the ways you need to aim precisely in Zelda while accounting for the arc of your shot.

Who are these people assuming games automatically have motion aiming in 2017? Have you avoided every non-Nintendo platform since 2013?

I feel like I just traveled back in time.

It just feels weird having to take a step backwards, even though these other platforms have the ability to add gyro aiming.

Bows have different levels of drop in BoTW and it's still much, much easier and more reliable for me to hit small moving targets with motion control assist.

Motion assist isn't for everyone but it would have made Horizon quite a bit easier for me to play, motion assist is super good for slower paced archery gameplay

phanphare

Banned
I think it's more that people want the option to turn it off.

that option exists in Splatoon. people just get real weird whenever motion controls are brought up because of the negative waggle stigma from the early Wii days. basically some gamers tend to be stuck in their ways, shocker.

theWB27

Then you're being obscenely intellectually dishonest.

The answer is "yes, enemies have precise weak points that you have to shoot at with your bow to take advantage of."

But the implementation obviously isn't identical to Horizon, so I elaborated on all the ways you need to aim precisely in Zelda while accounting for the arc of your shot.

I am...my bad.

Gestault

Motion control aiming sucks.

I can't believe you've used the kind of motion-aiming they're talking about here, seeing this reaction. Not to say "every game needs it," but you're effectively saying it's not a useful way to aim given the right implementation. Games like Gravity Rush, Killzone, and Unit 13 on Vita showed how effective (and precise) it can be even on a not-exactly-ideal controller. The implementation in Zelda BotW is several steps better than those.

that option exists in Splatoon. people just real weird whenever motion controls are brought up because of the negative waggle stigma from the early Wii days. basically some gamers tend to be stuck in their ways, shocker.

Gotcha. And yeah, that's the sense that I get.

I didn't like gyro controls either when I first tried them on Vita but they've grown on me considerably. I can pull shit off in BoTW with motion assist that 99% of the people in this thread can't pull off without it. I'd bet money on that.

Top Bottom