• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

strapboxart.jpg
phantasystarcover.jpg

Still gaming royalty as far as I'm concerned.

Accuracy.

ascii42

I've been trying to acquire one recently. Been outbid a few times on eBay. I'll get one eventually, though.

IrishNinja

^never saw the Zillion anime, that's awesome! man i had it in my head forever that when Marty tries pretending he's from the future (in Back to the Future 1) he was rocking sega 3D glasses & that gun, heh

Why on earth they put the pause button on the console I often wonder.

this caused so much heartache, for real
i was so jelly that all the other kids could pause from where they sat, and not fear accidentally pushing the reset button in a hurry

Fantasy zone + rapid fire attachment for the controller = so much win.

Loved that little bit of plastic.

this, all day...there's so many games id not've finished without that thing!
Fantasy Zone though...i got to the last guy, it's so cheap though. old SHMUPs are so mean, you die with your good weapon and that's it, all those hours are lost cause you've not chance at all..

The underwater room in Janken's castle was, and still is, a nightmare. Whoever put that in there is a sadistic fuck who probably tortures small, furry animals in his/her free time. But anyway, I managed to get past that by just carefully wiggling the D-pad to make Alex slowly swim between the row of spikes.

The concept/setting of Shinobi World is actually pretty cool, but the gameplay and controls are clunky, making the game kinda eh to play. I did manage to complete it once back in the day, and the final boss was a bit of a bitch from what I can remember. I tried replaying it last year, and I couldn't even beat the first level, as I got stuck towards the end where you have to pull off some wall-jumping move while hacking away a bunch of blocks that block your passage, and the clunky controls just pissed me off :lol

wow, props on navigating that....idve had to pause every few seconds to wipe the pad!

and it sounds like Alex in Shinobi is gonna be something i play a few times & just leave on the shelf, heh

Only thing that sucks about using the Power Base Converter is the fact that you don't get the little bios screen logo diddle.

you know, it's only on YT videos i see & remember that, but i do miss it

The worst part about Alex Kidd in Miracle World is that it's probably the best Alex Kidd game of the lot. Man, Sega really struck out with that guy, didn't they?

i used to pretend he was cooler than Mario in the pre-Sonic days, but yeah...still wanna play Segagaga to see how he ended up, haha
you know? i don't get why people liked Miracle World and some hated Enchanted Castle or whatever on Genesis; yeah there's more rock/paper/scissors but it's a proper sequel!

it's just weird looking back at the Alex Kidd games and seeing all the variance each one had. Lost Stars was literally nothing like Miracle World, infinitely easier.

My first RPG was this game. Anyone else ever played this?

It was awful.

no, but i did damn near beat Miracle fucking Warriors, and Super Hydlide on Genesis (though you'dve prolly believed it was an SMS title)

and im glad to see Golvellius remembered! no idea why it gets called a zelda clone so much, i guess there's influenced bits but i didnt think it much when playing it. shame we never got that sequel...

ps damn never even saw Ninja Gaiden back then either

i don't get why people liked Miracle World and some hated Enchanted Castle or whatever on Genesis; yeah there's more rock/paper/scissors but it's a proper sequel!

it's just weird looking back at the Alex Kidd games and seeing all the variance each one had. Lost Stars was literally nothing like Miracle World, infinitely easier.

Enchanted Castle was great!

What was the one where you were walking around a house... Hi-Tech World?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
My and a friend had trouble completing it on the Xbox Arcade version with the ability so save anywhere!

It's definitely a fairly hard game, but the only places I seriously abused savestates in the PSN re-release was the boat level where you got a trophy for doing.. something, and the aforementioned underwater spike room in Janken's castle.

and it sounds like Alex in Shinobi is gonna be something i play a few times & just leave on the shelf, heh

i don't get why people liked Miracle World and some hated Enchanted Castle or whatever on Genesis; yeah there's more rock/paper/scissors but it's a proper sequel!

Shinobi World is the kind of game you complete once and then put on a shelf, yeah. It's not terrible by any means, but I definitely think it's a weaker entry than Miracle World.

As for Enchanted Castle, I just find the controls and gameplay to be kinda slow and stiff compared to the more fluid Miracle World. Had the controls been better, EC would've been a far more enjoyable game IMO.

Yeah, Hi-Tech World was the one where you had to walk around the royal castle belonging to Alex's parents to find.. pieces of a map, I think, so that Alex could go to some arcade or whatever.

It sucked.

Quackula

Umm Lost Stars was OKAY. It had farting naked guys and dogs that yelled BOW WOW.

FINDAMRRRKRRRLBALL ...dodododododododo!

Don't forget the terrifying scream that Alex makes when he gets hit!

The gameplay was just so bland and insultingly easy. I want to like it for the bizarre stuff like you mentioned (which is normally right up my alley), but I can't get over how completely un-fun the game is to play.

@MUWANdo

Banned
i used to pretend he was cooler than Mario in the pre-Sonic days, but yeah...still wanna play Segagaga to see how he ended up, haha
you know? i don't get why people liked Miracle World and some hated Enchanted Castle or whatever on Genesis; yeah there's more rock/paper/scissors but it's a proper sequel!

A lot of that variance is due to Sega's habit of taking completely unrelated games and stuffing Alex Kidd into 'em--Hi Tech World was originally a tie-in for some anime, Shinobi World was an original game called Shinobi Kid that was rebranded at the last second, etc.

You can include me alongside the people that don't like Enchanted Castle... I mean, I guess it's kinda similar to Miracle World but everything about it feels so... off.

IrishNinja

yup! i want to write a short defense of it one day, but really...it was a short mess, and praying 100x for the pass you need was such shit...i still loved it though

Lost Stars was straight up awful. I hated that game so much!

yeah, this was my "Alex Kidd game i can beat easily", had no idea it was an arcade port but i too only remember BOW WOW, farting guy and repeating levels, along with Alex somehow being younger and having an awful manly scream all the time

You can include me alongside the people that don't like Enchanted Castle... I mean, I guess it's kinda similar to Miracle World but everything about it feels so... off.

i just dont see it, man! similar vehicles/areas, but you can actually use items when you want. tons of hidden spots (besides just the octopus from MW), the only weird thing for me was the way balloons/wood/etc would fly across the screen when you hit it

I like Shinobi World. It's short, but it's quite fun. Great music too.

Yeah, Hi-Tech World was the one where you had to walk around the royal castle belonging to Alex's parents to find.. pieces of a map, I think, so that Alex could go to some arcade or whatever.

It sucked.

Yup awful. Though I seem to recall Alex being electrocuted at some stage which is pretty cool.

Don't forget the terrifying scream that Alex makes when he gets hit!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I think it'll be my next message tone

yeah i don't know either, but it's so cool to see nowadays - i totally use that cover for my copy!

Awesome. Every game needs a grid cover makeover.

It's definitely a fairly hard game, but the only places I seriously abused savestates in the PSN re-release was the boat level where you got a trophy for doing.. something, and the aforementioned underwater spike room in Janken's castle.

That spike room was a bitch! My friend was just sitting laughing at me trying it again and again, dying each time.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
H9NMeOt.jpg

I had one of these babys. Saved your thumbs on Fantasy Zone 2!

The Master System was my first console, and after the ZX Spectrum, was mindblowing. Instantly loading games, what sorcery is this!? Mine was the mark 1 model which included the holes in the pads for the mini joysticks, but didn't come with them. My picks were:

Thunder Blade
Thunder_Blade_SMS_ScreenShot1.gif

Vertical shooting AND 3D sections. One of my favourite arcade games at the time, now in my own home! Bloody hard though.

Golden Axe
cep09aq.jpg

Pretty good version, still had that meaty feel to chopping people and excellent replayability.

R-Type
igi49Fu.jpg

It's R-Type, what else needs to be said? Everything was all here, including a secret Master System-only level! The only negative is sometimes the sprites flashing, making some bullets hard to trace in hectic situations.

OutRun
btjv8cn.png

Haha that looks so bad now, but it was still great! All the endings present, all the music (I have Splash Wave in my head now!) and felt great to play. I never fancied Turbo OutRun, a) Because the F40 isn't as cool as a Testarossa b)Turbos make the game impure.

Wonderboy in Monster Land
ZJpQTDw.gif

Absolutely brilliant platformer. I enjoyed it more than the sequel even though it was superior in both size and tech. I loved the progression of collecting coins to improve yourself. That last tower was annoying though!

Rocky
oQUNb4z.gif

No, it's not very good, but it has all your favourites, Apollo, Clubber Lang, Drago. Drago is a bitch to beat. Until you find out that the better you do at training, you get stronger. Then you find a marble, and rub it fast across buttons 1 and 2 during speedball training to get ludicrously powerful, then kick that commies ass.

R-Type
igi49Fu.jpg

It's R-Type, what else needs to be said? Everything was all here, including a secret Master System-only level! The only negative is sometimes the sprites flashing, making some bullets hard to trace in hectic situations.

Great game. Also infuriating. R-Type Dimensions on XBLA is the definitive version; arcade original and remake of R-TI & II.

Bowler

Loved my Master system...

I was the only kid around that had one, got picked on about it, until they played it.

I want to sue sega though...

Playing this level in maze hunter burned my retina's to no end:
Blaze-Area-10-150x150.png

funniest time was a holiday, and i came downstairs to find my grandfather wearing my 3d glasses ( they looked identical to old people shades in the late 80's)

I was like "gramps, i think those are my glasses", he said "nope, they are his sunglasses"
"ah grandpa, there is a 6 foot wire attached to them" he replied "what?, no wonder i cant see shit"

IrishNinja

it's all about magical sound shower & blue skies~

That spike room was a bitch! My friend was just sitting laughing at me trying it again and again, dying each time.

aw man, your friend's a dick! took me forever just to get there...

Mine was the mark 1 model which included the holes in the pads for the mini joysticks, but didn't come with them.

always thought that looked so weird

Thunder Blade

Vertical shooting AND 3D sections. One of my favourite arcade games at the time, now in my own home! Bloody hard though.

the cave levels with the space-harrier like columns (horizontal too) killed me like every time, i think i made it to a night mission once, that was it

Suairyu

Banned
Operation Wolf is one of the greatest lightgun games of all time and I'll cut anyone who disagrees.

Fabulous port. Years later I saw an original OW cab in the wild and marveled at how cut down the Master System version was, but it kept nearly all of the gameplay intact.

Jackano

Sega_Master_System_II.jpg

The moment I found out, that you can pause Alex Kidd with that big button on the console and wear that fire-ring... priceless. :D

Ahahah exactly the same!
The dust protector is great too.
I remember owning two main units, one with Sonic included and another one with Alex Kidd. We used to swap the unit to change game, ahahah. I was young and those games were very very hard, it probably scarried me for life.

I also had Gauntlet. I wasn't actually understanding very much of the game. The boxart said something like dozens of levels, and when you played it, shit everywhere on the screen, black sprites as exit that warp you several levels ahead... or back!
I never encountered a game like that before, didn't liked it but it was fascinating.

But my favorite SMS games were Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos. I found out later that Sonic games were mostly sub-ports of the megadrive/genesis counterparts, but who cares at this age.
Sonic 2's hang glider was mind blowing, especially in the night/rainy level. Sold me on the game right from the boxart!
Sonic Chaos (Sonic & Tails) was my favorite, Tails FTW. Strange story from my youngest gamer memories, I did beat the second boss several times at first, and one day, I simply stop be able to beat it. Tried again for months, no chance. Then I moved to 16 bits consoles and only got back to SMS with a couple of youtube videos and the Wii VC Alex Kidd (just for the nostalgia, I still suck at it).

Now I'm trawlling youtube for Master System videos, thanks guys.

Lead me to this piece from Fantasy Zone; my fave tune :)

Super Fantasy Zone on the Mega Drive has some of the best music on the system

Shion

I have a very soft spot for the SMS versions of Taz-Mania and Asterix. Two games wrapped in fond memories.
7bJl5OC.png
The 1991 Asterix game was so good.

Ironically, some of the best games for the Master System were released during the 90s.

The Sonic games, the Illusion series, Master of Darkness, Golden Axe Warrior, Ninja Gaiden, Power Strike II, Asterix etc.

Lucky for us, these releases were very cheap here in Europe, about half the price of a 16-bit game :p

Now I'm trawlling youtube for Master System videos, thanks guys.

Lead me to this piece from Fantasy Zone; my fave tune :)

Yes! Fantastic tune.

On the topic of great Master System music, I used to leave Dragon Crystal running on the pause screen just to listen to it. Didn't actually like the game itself too much, but geez, that music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUNxS0jY3jQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCkM5-vnco

I had a master system 2 with built in alex kidd, much as I loved the game it used to scare me when I was 8 with the rock paper scissors guys and those damn phantoms in random boxes!

Sonic 1 mastersystem <3 such good music

One of my dad's friends at the time had a mastersystem 1 with snail maze, only time I played it :(

IrishNinja

my copy of this game literally came in yesterday; as a fan of the SMS one, i cannot wait. totally didn't even hear about this one until Hardcore Gaming 101's recent Sega book, too

It was more of a laugh facing hopelessness, I was just laughing in the end too. I must have tried a few hundred times, it was pure luck when I finally beat it.

harsh
glad you got it done though! damn i couldve sworn there's an item you can look at from your menu that gives you the order though, if i had to do it like that i dont know if id've had the heart to keep at it!

Best BIOS screen ever? Best BIOS screen ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZQjiHKhQg0

Too bad we didn't have this in the west.

! i feel so gypped now

Tiu Neo

Here on Brazil, all the cool kids had a Master System.

There where a lot of "official rom hacks" too, hacked games sold by the official Brazilian distributor. My favorite was Mônica no Castelo do Dragão, a translated Wonderboy in Monster Land hack, where the main character was switched with a popular comic book character here.

jet1911

The SMS is the first console I got. I only had two games but I had so much fun with those games lol.

Kung%20Fu%20Kid%20(UE)%20%5B!%5D_013.png

wonderboy.jpg

wonderboy1.jpg

My cousin had Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I still think it's one of the best game I've ever played. :D

IrishNinja

^was Kung Fu Kid good? My hero didn't look like it, never was sure about Black Belt either

Here on Brazil, all the cool kids had a Master System.

There where a lot of "official rom hacks" too, hacked games sold by the official Brazilian distributor. My favorite was Mônica no Castelo do Dragão, a translated Wonderboy in Monster Land hack, where the main character was switched with a popular comic book character here.

see i was just in Chile & Argentina, and i was checking every swap shop kinda store i could hoping to find one of these somehow, no luck though

Tiu Neo

^was Kung Fu Kid good? My hero didn't look like it, never was sure about Black Belt either

see i was just in Chile & Argentina, and i was checking every swap shop kinda store i could hoping to find one of these somehow, no luck though

Hmmm... I gave my Master System to my cousin some years ago, I can check if he still has it. If he doesn't, I know it's somewhat easy to get some of those games online here. If you're interessed, PM me and I can help you.

Oh, and it just hit me now... The "Brazillian Wonderboy" character was a girl. Brazil was years ahead on this whole "girls on gaming" thing, heh.

Shion

Yes! Fantastic tune.

On the topic of great Master System music, I used to leave Dragon Crystal running on the pause screen just to listen to it. Didn't actually like the game itself too much, but geez, that music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUNxS0jY3jQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCkM5-vnco

Awesome.

My favorite MS tune is probably the one from Scrap Brain Zone.

I usually prefer the NTSC versions but, in this case, I really love the slower tempo of the PAL release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B9lI9_pth8

harsh
glad you got it done though! damn i couldve sworn there's an item you can look at from your menu that gives you the order though, if i had to do it like that i dont know if id've had the heart to keep at it!

It was fun to play through it finally, I never did back in the nineties. The end featured a difficult boss with a special order of icons to choose, we had to check out a guide.

When we heard the slowed down Alex Kidd tune at the end of the credits, we both started laughing and said: "Well, that's our childhoods revisited" :)

arit

5fXsaFg.png

Better than Zelda (well, except for the "press button to change weapon thing every 30 seconds" thing).

I wished Ninja Gaiden wasn't so expensive...

Rlan

I have a very soft spot for the SMS versions of Taz-Mania and Asterix. Two games wrapped in fond memories.

rin3XQy.png
7bJl5OC.png

My friend had Taz-Mania MS and we'd always play it. It's a fascinating game because it's completely different to either the Megadrive or Game Gear versions of the game. It sits on it's own little world and basically makes it impossible to come back in any fashion other than illegal emulation.

Two other games I got way too much out of as a kid:

Yuterald

strapboxart.jpg
phantasystarcover.jpg

Still gaming royalty as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just playing Dragon's Trap for the first time and it's fucking incredible. Game was rocking modern game ideas/philosophies back in the late 80's! At one point there's two paths you can go down, one is intended, the other is definitely not. Way harder enemies populate the one road, but they don't stop you from exploring this route or trying your best to fight your way through. Games are still doing this shit (see something like Demon's Souls, or way before that, King's Field, or even the original Zelda). It's funny when you think about it, nothing much has changed in 20 some years. We're still fundamentally doing the same shit we've always done/made, only now the approach is different. That shit's fascinating to me.

my copy of this game literally came in yesterday; as a fan of the SMS one, i cannot wait. totally didn't even hear about this one until Hardcore Gaming 101's recent Sega book, too

Enjoy!

Kung Fu kid was fun, not sure how it'd hold up now though, slow-mo movement gets old after a while.

This tune.

I'm just playing Dragon's Trap for the first time and it's fucking incredible. Game was rocking modern game ideas/philosophies back in the late 80's! At one point there's two paths you can go down, one is intended, the other is definitely not. Way harder enemies populate the one road, but they don't stop you from exploring this route or trying your best to fight your way through. Games are still doing this shit (see something like Demon's Souls, or way before that, King's Field, or even the original Zelda). It's funny when you think about it, nothing much has changed in 20 some years. We're still fundamentally doing the same shit we've always done/made, only now the approach is different. That shit's fascinating to me.

SHOPPING PLEASE.

Great post, I just finished it (again) 2 weeks ago!

Harlock

Played a lot of Space Harrier with 3D glasses.

Space%20Harrier%203D%20(J).png

Space%20Harrier%203D%20(J).png

And Missile Defense was the only game to play with light gun and 3D glasses. Fuckin cool.

missile_defense_3d.gif

Top Bottom