• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo UK confirms Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for 2017

Why are we assuming they aren't going to be doing a simultaneous localization? They literally just did it for the biggest game they've ever released.

Because it's a far more niche game and simultaneous localization is always done on a case by case basis because it's very expensive compared to localizing after the fact? And honestly, I really doubt there was more stuff that needed to be localized in BoTW than in X. Furthermore, Zelda needed to be localized simultaneously because it needed to be the big launch game in all territories.

There's a difference between being cautious, as most people in this thread are, and denying every scenarios and explanations about why it could release this year, and mocking other people while rehashing older and unrelated examples as to why it can't release this year.
The way I see it is there's no reason to think Nintendo are lying about the release date but it's best to not get our hopes up. No idea why some are out right denying the possibility.

Kadin

When did Nintendo first announce that BotW would arrive in March? I want to say it was like Q3 of last year wasn't it? If that's the case, then XC2 arriving this year might actually happen.

5ca.jpg

When did Nintendo first announce that BotW would arrive in March? I want to say it was like Q3 of last year wasn't it? If that's the case, then XC2 arriving this year might actually happen.
January, we learnt about most Switch games only 2 months ago aha.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There's a difference between being cautious, as most people in this thread are, and denying every scenarios and explanations about why it could release this year, and mocking other people while rehashing older and unrelated examples as to why it can't release this year.

Yup - people acting as if they know more about this games development state than Nintendo lol. Hell the likelyhood of it getting delayed for a couple months is high (like for every other game) but for now the target is 2017.

This isnt a FFXV/VersusXIII/Persona 5 situation.

Nairume

Banned
Because it's a far more niche game and simultaneous localization is always done on a case by case basis because it's very expensive compared to localizing after the fact?
A "far more niche" game that they still felt was notable enough to push it as one of the big reveals at the January presentation and is part of a series that has gotten big enough that they'd start pushing it in Smash too. There's nothing saying that, on a case by case basis for simultaneous localization, they aren't going to go for it here.

To be clear, yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for it to be getting released this year, but I'm also not going to scream liar at them every time they say otherwise and mock people who are fine with believing them on it.

Except Fates still had a big wait.... and Xenoblade is also much more popular in the west.

Perhaps they wanted to make sure the surge would last longer than a single game before they commited to simultaneous localization? And Xenoblade as a series has nowhere close to the amount of popularity anywhere as Fire Emblem has gained in the west in recent years. Both Fates and Awakening have sold more than 1.7 million copies worldwide with over 1 million sales of each being due to overseas sales. All credible information has individual Xenoblade game sales at less than 500k worldwide

With super Mario odyssey, fire emblem 2 warriors, other holiday games(heck imagine of we do get Pokemon Stars), XBC2 feels like overkill. Maybe should be q1 2018?

A "far more niche" game that they still felt was notable enough to push it as one of the big reveals at the January presentation and is part of a series that has gotten big enough that they'd start pushing it in Smash too. There's nothing saying that, on a case by case basis for simultaneous localization, they aren't going to go for it here.

To be clear, yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for it to be getting released this year, but I'm also not going to scream liar at them every time they say otherwise and mock people who are fine with believing them on it.

As I've said, I won't completely rule out the possibility of a 2017 release, especially in Japan. I just think it's fairly unlikely in Japan and far, far less likely everywhere else

Cleve

Yeah, put me in the very skeptical pile for XC2 this year. I feel FE Warriors in 2017 is a given that it's a musou, I just hope they take the time to get performance where it needs to be. DQW1&2 really shows how rushed it was and I don't want the same for FEW.

With super Mario odyssey and other holiday games(heck imagine of we do get Pokemon Stars), XBC2 feels like overkill. Maybe should be q1 2018?
I think we'll have a lot more at E3 too, Nintendo's development studios seemed to wrap up their Wii U develop awhile ago. I guess they need to fill a lot of genres on the Switch and a massive JRPG is very important.

Yup - people acting as if they know more about this games development state than Nintendo lol. Hell the likelyhood of it getting delayed for a couple months is high (like for every other game) but for now the target is 2017.

This isnt a FFXV/VersusXIII/Persona 5 situation.

I'm going to point out that a huge population on GAF said the exact same thing about Persona 5 up until the delay

we saw even less of FE Warriors and no one is questioning that game's release date

Hyrule Warriors had a quick turnaround time from first reveal to release (January to September in the west, a schedule FE Warriors could very well match), so there is precedent. And Musou games are known to be rapid and plentiful. They match our expectations of what a quick release looks like.

The disbelief in a 2017 date for XC2 comes from past experience with Xenoblade and perfectly reasonable expectations for what kind of game XC2 will be.

2017 in Japan and 2018 elsewhere sounds reasonable enough from the information we've been given, and if we hadn't heard such a commitment to 2017 in the January announcement, most people would have looked at this schedule and called it wildly optimistic given how little time has passed since XCX (and how far off the early footage of XC1/XCX was from the release of the localizations). Development must have begun much sooner than anyone had reason to infer from the publicly available evidence.

I don't have a Switch right now, but when i get one, i will also get Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at the same time.

Hyper triple package of happiness.
Really hope for that 2017 release.

I kind of want to buy one around Christmas (as if its in stock around Christmas lol). Imagine unpacking a Switch with Zelda, Mario and XBC2 and playing that next to the Christmas tree. Hmmm, that Nintendo magic.

I think I need to save up.

Don't mind me, I'm just gonna leave this here:

bS1f0vQ.png
That's an interesting quote. I hope the opportunity of a console handheld hybrid spreads out the amount of franchise we see on Switch. Sounds like 2017 isn't out of the question for a global Xenoblade release at all.

Shiggy

The denial in this thread. There's no reason why Xenoblade won't be out this year. Even Nintendo can do worldwide releases now.

I'd be very surprised if both hit this year, especially if some of the heavily rumoured titles are coming then i cant see there being room for them

Theyre just repeating what was already announced in January. I doubt Nintendo UK's marketing team know much more about the development status of either game than we do right now.

It would be a pleasant surprise if XC2 releases this year. I don't see it happening tho :(

Mediking

I believe that both will release in 2017. Nintendo knows 1st party high quality games is their bread and butter. Development and localization must be going super well.

MTC100

Banned
Well yeah but there are like 4 other new Fire Emblem games, it's hardly an issue to have a spinoff.

On an ultra-low-res Handheld, yes. I don't want to use my 3DS anymore after seeing the models and artwork of Fire Emblem Heroes in 1080p on my freakin' phone ...

Interesting that they're saying Xenoblade 2 is coming westward in 2017. We'll have to see if that assertion holds, but for the time being I still doubt that it'll make it this year.

Oregano

I'd be very surprised if both hit this year, especially if some of the heavily rumoured titles are coming then i cant see there being room for them

I'm not sure. I bet Nintendo are all too aware they have no third party support. The only third party game they'll give concessions to is Skyrim. Having one game a month won't be too much.

GamerJM

Banned
I have a hard time believing Xenoblade 2 is coming this year. Hell, I have a hard time believing it even for JAPAN. I can buy Nintendo speeding up their localization process (Pokemon games used to have a like one year gap, now they're global releases, also the new FE is a global release), but XBX came out like, two years ago in Japan. Unless an entirely different team is working on this one that would mean it would have an unnaturally short development cycle for this kind of game.

On an ultra-low-res Handheld, yes. I don't want to use my 3DS anymore after seeing the models and artwork of Fire Emblem Heroes in 1080p on my freakin' phone ...
I get that but that doesn't make the game design any worse and we have a mainline Switch release only next year. I can't quite fathom complaining about Fire Emblem output right now, they're covering all bases and possible platforms.

/thread

You could say the same about Xenoblade Chronicles X coming out in 2014.
So basically what you're saying is we should never trust any release date? That's silly, give them the benefit of the doubt with 2017 but don't put all your hope into it.

I'm not sure. I bet Nintendo are all too aware they have no third party support. The only third party game they'll give concessions to is Skyrim. Having one game a month won't be too much.

Well assuming the rumours are true for autumn we are looking at

Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

That just seems a little bit overkill for 3 months to me

MTC100

Banned
I get that but that doesn't make the game design any worse and we have a mainline Switch release only next year. I can't quite fathom complaining about Fire Emblem output right now, they're covering all bases and possible platforms.

Oh, so I didn't dream of a true Fire Emblem being in the working for Switch, good, good :)

I'll be getting the upcoming Fire Emblem of course, will have to deal with all the pixels...

Zomba13

I'm still sceptical on Xenoblade 2 hitting this year. I mean, I would love it if it did and I'd be there day one, but I don't think it will hit.

I totally buy FE Warriors hitting this year though.

LordKano

Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

September : Fire Emblem Warriors (same release date as Hyrule Warriors, it worked out well)
October : Pokémon Stars (initially planned for summer, same release date as X/Y) / Super Smash Bros
November : Super Mario Odyssey
December : Xenoblade 2

Ideally, they would slip Smash either before fall (like, an august release) or delay it to Q1 2018.

Maxinas

Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

We just had a plethora of amazing games in the past 3 months, and everything worked out well
(but not for my savings account)
. Doesn't seem like overkill to me.

Carlisle

We just had a plethora of amazing games in the past 3 months, and everything worked out well
(but not for my savings account)
. Doesn't seem like overkill to me.

But they weren't all from the same publisher. It was nuts enough to have EA fire off TF2 and BF1 in the same season, but Nintendo with potentially 5 major releases within a few months is bonkers.

Edit:
And these will be going up against the usual holiday AAA deluge that we're already going to be up against. Over-saturation.

Zedark

But they weren't all from the same publisher. It was nuts enough to have EA fire off TF2 and BF1 in the same season, but Nintendo with potentially 5 major releases within a few months is bonkers.

I think what was nuts about that was that they launched within a literal two weeks of each other (and COD released in between). That is more of a genre saturation thing in a very short period of time than an EA saturation thing imo.

People say this is nothing new, but unless i am wrong it was the Japanese Twitter that said 2017 for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. No confirmation of the west. Not for one second did i believe it would release this year, but it sure sounds like it's going to happen. So Mario AND Xenoblade 2? Holy shit man.

jonno394

Edit:
And these will be going up against the usual holiday AAA deluge that we're already going to be up against. Over-saturation.

Fortunately the games will still sell on Switch because they 90%+ of those AAA games won't be appearing on teh Switch, so Switch only customers will still have to buy their output. The Switch needs games. The Switch needs good/great games. If no-one else is bringing them then Nintendo needs to deliver them. Whether or not their releases can tempt others away from the other consoles with their AAA deluge remains to be seen.

Average consumers won't buy a Switch for just one game, but give them 3 or 4 (Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon) in the space of the first 9 months and they'll be more likely to buy.

Top Bottom