• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Ladekabel

I have played and finished Final Fantasy VII (original PC version), Final Fantasy IX (Vita) and Final Fantasy X (PS2). This year I started and finished Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Vita), Final Fantasy XIII (PC) and Final Fantasy XV (PS4).

So far I'd rank them: Final Fantasy Tactics > Final Fantasy IX > Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy XV > Final Fantasy XIII > the hour I played of Lost Odyssey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Fantasy X

Really hated FFX which prohibited me really getting into the series though I did buy FFX-2 and FFXII after that. But I abandoned both. I think I played FFIV on the DS but I don't remember.

But after I played FFIX I kinda found a fondness for the series besides Kingdom Hearts. The following year I plan to play FFV and FFVI. Also bought but never played the FFVII remaster on PS4 but never played it. Maybe I'll go through it again.

If I find it cheap enough maybe give X another try. Same for VIII and both XIII spin-offs. Definitly interested in the XII remaster because now I'm older and smarter. Since I'm unsure if I really played IV, I might pick up the PSP version on the Vita that everyone recommends.

And maybe I might post my adventurs with FFVI and FFV since I plan to play them soon.

Im very close to the ffxv platinum. Then after that i intend on beating ffx and world of ff : ) VI is also on my list but im waiting for convenient way to play it on ps4

Holmes

First thing's first, III (NES) and V are the best entries.

I have a long flight back to Canada for the holidays later today, and I'm going to start off this anniversary by playing I during my travels!

I'm in Aeana's camp re: FFIII. DS version's bad news, IMO.

I hated 3 on the DS
because I died on the final boss, so had to redo that dungeon gauntlet
. But I've never played the NES version, so I have no basis of comparison.

I think I'm going to try to give myself a challenge for each game; do something I'd not done before. Like learn all of Gau's Rages in 6, or a no level up run of 8. I'm excited for this.

Lynx_7

I've yet to play the MMOs, 2, 3 and the direct sequels (X-2, XIII-2, etc). Will give XIV a try sometime next year.

In the meantime I suppose I should play II, but I'm not sure if I should go for the PS1 release or one of the latter ports. I'm aware the difficulty is nerfed in the newer versions but I don't know by how much. If it's enough to neuter the game completely (similarly to GBA/PSP FF1) I'd rather just play it on the PS1, but I'm afraid that version might lean a little too much on the grindy side of the scale. Regardless, I'm a little curious to see why it's so infamous among the fanbase.

Gambit for sure I was alot younger tho so maybe it'll click this time. Main character also bored me

The most important tip for Zodiac Age/ZJS versions is that it makes you pick classes. You can pick 6 in any combination from a choice of 12. Many set ups are great for different things, but a foolproof way to beat the story is to make to parties of 3, each with Each with physical attack, ranged attack (magic or otherwise) and a healer (white/red mage/3rd one).

For gambits, you can get through the main story by setting them up to attack by default, heal at 30-50% health with magic or items, counter-debuff when relevant and attack elemental weaknesses when relevant. That's it.

You can not play as Vaan at all after about 5 hours or so and put him in the back after 2 but I've honestly come around on him in recent years.

Cruixant

Nice thread! Final Fantasy was an important series to me during my late childhood, and while my tastes/interests have changed considerably over the years and further away from the series, I still hold some of its titles in high regard.

It's been ages since I played FF5, and I've been meaning to replay it but never find myself in the mood, so I'll chime in for the anniversary and play it sometime next year for sure. I may also try and play through 2 at last while I'm at it, too.

RPGam3r

I want that stupid not real rumor to be true and give us I-IX on PS4. All that would be left missing from the PS4 then would be XIII (and its sequels).

Would love to just spend the year reliving the series in one place!

Plus that buys me time for XV to be patched.

I feel like I really should get back to XIV. But in moderation this time.. I had no life for a while there LOL.

But definitely planning on replaying VIII and IX after I beat XV :). Listening to the VIII soundtrack as we speak. So good.

evanmisha

What a coincidence, I actually just picked up the 3DS remake of Final Fantasy I today. It's surprisingly very good so far.

khaaan

II, VIII and XII are ones I definitely want to get through. The latter two because they are probably my favorites but I've never finished them. I want to at least get a ways into Final Fantasy II because it's the only one I haven't played to a point where I can have a reasonable discussion about it*. The only thing I know about it are the tricks you can do to abuse the way stat growth works in the game.

Shout out to the spin-offs too, Crystal Chronicles, Tactics
Advance/A2
, and Seiken Denstsu (even if only considering the first game) gave me some of my favorite gaming memories.

*Edit: And FFXI I guess, because currently my opinion is that PlayOnline is unusable.

I'm genuinely tempted to replay all of the games in order, and either writing up my thoughts in posts or blog it or something.

There a few in the main line I never finished (2, 8 & 12 I think) and several I haven't played since my first.

I think it'd be a lot of fun but... Damn that would take a while! But if the rumors of a ps4 collection are true.... I think I'd have to do it

Lynx_7

Oh yeah, I stopped Tactics very early on too. Loved it but playing on my cellphone sucks. I'll wait for the War of the Lions steam port coming soon.
NEVER STOP BELIEVING

Heropon

My first Final Fantasy like many other people was FF7 and I loved it as soon as I started playing it. I remember how the death wasn't a spoiler but a feature! Playing it I was actually surprised of how "late" it happens. Sadly, my PC and FF7 had a hate relationship and it often crashed, so I didn't really finish it until a bit later.

Then after playing 9, 10 and X-2 I had to do lots of catch-up with the rest of the series. I must say that it's one of the best things I could have done.

Right now I don't know what game to play for the anniversary, I'll think about it.

Jigorath

Banned
Neat, so my favorite entries are IV, VI, IX, and X-2.

I think I'm gonna go through World of Final Fantasy next.

I'm also really itching to play XII again so I hope the Zodiac Age isn't too far off.

butman

Revisiting them starting with IV DS version.

Next stop I don't known if I'll play V for the first time or jump to VI GBA all patches version.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmmm I was just thinking I kind of felt like replaying FFVI, after seeing both that LTTP and that RTTP thread recently...

Sadly my SNES controller cables are painfully short and I don't know how bad the image would be on the HDTV. xD I do have the PS1 Anthology version, which does have the shitty slow-down and... doesn't it also have a small, but still annoying delay when opening up the menu?

I also never really played FFIX (rented it back in the day, wasn't really in the mood so my friend just played a bit and I stopped watching early on and lost interest), I don't like how expensive the digital games are though... The Steam version is $24 CAD, come on the fuck on!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The PSX version of FF1 is indeed fantastic. So good on you OP for mentioning that.

Playing PC version of IV now. Just got to Underworld. Playing on "hard" and its pretty fun.

Wazzy

Banned
Looks like it's time for me to replay VIII again!

I'm really excited for the 30th anniversary. I've enjoyed every mainline game even if many have their flaws. My favourite is obviously VIII. Really hope some good stuff gets announced.

Scotia

Banned
I'm down for this. Bought a load of Final Fantasy's I'd never played before (which is pretty much all of them bar 7 and 10) in anticipation of 15. I managed to finish 8 (which I loved) before 15 came out so this is the perfect reason to finish off the others I got. The other FF games I got were:

FFV
FFVI
FFIX
FFXIII

And I'll be getting FFXII when it comes out on PS4 next year. I'll probably start with FFXI soon and move on from there. Looking forward to playing these games!

So I have this bizarre situation where I've played every game in the franchise, and nearly every spin-off, but I've never actually beaten the ending to almost all of them. Maybe it's time to finally right that wrong in this coming year.

Wazzy

Banned
So I have this bizarre situation where I've played every game in the franchise, and nearly every spin-off, but I've never actually beaten the ending to almost all of them. Maybe it's time to finally right that wrong in this coming year.
D:

But the endings are probably one of the best parts about the series. VIII, IX and X especially have wonderful endings. You definitely need to finish them.

Scotia

Banned
Is World of Final Fantasy any good? I liked the demo but decided to save my money and wait for FFXV instead.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks for the thread. I loved the last one.
And I guess I can even continue some playthroughs from that one since I still haven't finished some of them even after five years.
I do plan to play through as many games as I can again for this, but knowing me who knows how this'll turn out.

I don't think I'll have much time for it in the first weeks, though. I want to start with FF Origins, so maybe I'll find the time if I put it on my PSP.

Is World of Final Fantasy any good? I liked the demo but decided to save my money and wait for FFXV instead.

It's great, and pretty much the perfect game to play as an anniversary game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Thanks for listing off your preferred versions. I have been considering playing through the series in order from the beginning lately. Mainly interested in how things change from game to game with all the primals and summons.

Vostranoid

Neo Member
I never played through the nes final fantasy games. Looking forward to trying the remakes on the vita, starting next week!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
D:

But the endings are probably one of the best parts about the series. VIII, IX and X especially have wonderful endings. You definitely need to finish them.
0mw1I8e.gif

This year I replayed 5,7 and 8 and beat for the first time 13-2,lightning returns and 15. I've now beaten all the main series besides 11/14 and the final boss of 3 on the DS which I'll probably do in the next couple of days.

I'm thinking next year I'll replay 1,2,6,9 and probably 12. It's definitely been too long since I've replayed 6. I've basically been Final Fantasy fan my whole life since watching my older siblings play FF1 when I was 3. I look forward to reading people's stories in this thread.

Thanks for making this thread Aeana!

Currently 100 hours into XV, Platinum was achieved a while ago but theres still plenty of stuff to do, and im ready for any updates/DLC they have coming. This was my 7th Final Fantasy platinum (out of 9 possible)

My love for Final Fantasy started about 20 years ago, I grew up a Nintendo kid, i loved Zelda, Pokemon, and Mega Man. I had never played Final Fantasy before but so many people were talking about FFVII that i figured i should give it a chance, it took about 2 hours to realize that this this game was something special, and 20 years later its still my favorite game of all time and likely always will be. (starting that game on a school night was a mistake LOL) To my amazement FF8 and FF9 both came out very quickly after VII, i realized VII wasnt a fluke but that squaresoft was simply a machine at making great games, VII and IX are not far behind on my favorite games of all time list. This solidified my switch to Playstation for generations to come. Until i was old enough to buy multiple systems of course.

There's been alot of ups and downs with the series ever since,

I was absolutely crushed when they announced FFXI was an online only game. I thought it was weird that they made a direct sequel to X rather than moving straight to XII. Was frustrated with the wait from X to XII, then frustrated against with the wait from XII to XIII. I actually love the XIII games and even got the platinum trophy for all of them. Then i got frustrated again with the wait for Type-0s localization, XIV being another online only game (then having to remake it) , and the overall wait from XIII to XV. But i ended up enjoying Type-0 alot, even World of Final Fantasy. And finally being able to play XV was just awesome. The game was worth the wait.

It's going to be really interesting seeing how things go from here. FF7 remake is on the way, im really excited to see what Nomura's vision for the game is, judging by the little bit of gameplay footage we saw it looks like he's going to implement alot of the old Versus XIII mechanics into the game. So its kind of ironic that people may get their Versus XIII after all, just not from the game that they expected. Im also really interested to see who will direct the next mainline game, Tabata, Ito, Yoshi-p? Also speaking of FF7 remake, i was so excited that during that trailer i jumped in the air and actually broke my computer chair, zero regrets though.

GunBR

Great to see this thread, I was already planning on play the ones that I never beat
I only finished VI, VII, XIII and XV

Before the end of the year I'm gonna start to play VIII, and after that IX and IV (all of them on Steam)
But I still don't know if I gonna try to play the classics (I-II) again. I tried on PS1 (over 10 years ago) and on Android (this year) and both time found them kinda boring.

D:

I think when I played all of them, I was too young to care to finish games. This actually happened with a few other games like Kingdom Hearts as well. I'd get to the end, I'd try to take on the final boss or the areas leading to the final boss, find out I was underleveled or that I just sucked at games and quit.

I have a little more perseverance now though lol.

Wazzy

Banned
It's fantastic. It's charming and doesn't take itself too seriously. There's characters, towns and music from the main series and they're all mixed together really well.
You spelled VI wrong

I like 8's ending well enough
VI is great too but I'm a sucker for the FMV's with gorgeous music playing throughout. Especially since VIII's conveys so much without words.
Eyes on Me sure hits me right in the nostalgia nerve.
Oh boy the orchestral version used in the ending is so good. The ending on the balcony music that plays is my favourite part of the whole ending theme.

This is awesome! Here's my mainline list:

Beat: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15
Played but never beat: 3, 5, 12, 13
Never touched: 8, 11

I've got some work to do next year...

Thorzilla

It's been so long since I played the 7th after I got it for my birthday. First exposure to the series and I immediately fell in love with it.

I'm gonna admit that I forgot about the series right after XII and going into XIII, the latter making me think that it was never gonna be the same again. I played the trilogy and liked it for what it was, but never saw it as a true FF chapter.

Lo and behold, all the good stuff SE have been doing and announcing makes me love the series once more and like never before. 2016 is here and WoFF and XV is the most fun I've had with the series in a long, long time. Can't wait to see what the company has in store for fans this year!

Top Bottom