• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo's handling of the SNES Classic convinced anyone else to build a Retro Pi

robochimp

If we had a thread about games that are awesome on weed, would people be screaming about how marijuana is illegal in the vast majority of countries?

Why can't we talk about emulation without it becoming a witch hunt? I ABSOLUTELY get that the owners of the site can't be seen to allow open discussion on how to pirate software etc. But surely we could give people the benefit of the doubt unless they cross the line? I'm sure the mods will swing the ban hammer, nuke the thread from orbit and salt the earth so nothing can grow if a thread is clearly advocating piracy.

FYI: Rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band are AMAZING while high.

A few posts pointing out the not too subtle piracy angle isn't a witch hunt. Your weed analogy doesn't work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Part of the appeal is having an official mini SNES. A raspberry pi will not replicate that.

Also, in the UK, it was pretty simple to get a SNES Classic.

Springy

z3jSV2A.jpg
That's adorable.

And yeah, OP, I was convinced and bought a Pi last year as a result of the NES Classic.

bionic77

I could lot handle the lag on my Pi.

It is pretty bad, especially for 8 bit games where you can't fuck around.

The image it puts out looks great but I have little tolerance for input lag.

gbland

Nintendo has been really crappy about the handling of SNES classic. Completely justifies me getting a retro Pi. It would also be a neat project.

Laws00

Just looked at the compatability list and that thing is missing every game that uses any kind of special fx chip. Which is actually quite a lot of stuff. But trudging through the general list there's some big classics it's ommitting. No Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, StarFox 1/2, Super Mario RPG, SF2 Alpha, MegaMan X2/3, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby Super Star, Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension, Stunt Race FX, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Doom.

I have the SD2SNES and it's significantly better. Still missing a few games though

https://gbatemp.net/review/sd2snes.188/

games not supported

Car Ranger
Crayon Shin Chan
Gegege No Kitarou
Gekisou Sentai Carranger: Zenkai Racer Senshi
Poi Poi Ninja
Sailor Moon Stars Panic 2
SD Gundam Generations: part 1
SD Gundam Generations: part 2
SD Gundam Generations: part 3
SD Gundam Generations: part 4
SD Gundam Generations: part 5
SD Gundam Generations: part 6
SD Ultra Battle: Seven Legend
SD Ultra Battle: Ultraman Legend
Sufami Turbo hardware
Tetris 2+ Bombliss

SuperFX games:

Dirt Racer
Dirt Trax FX
Doom
Star Fox 2
Star Fox / Starwing
Stunt Race FX / Wild Trax
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Vortex
Winter Gold / FX Skiing

SA-1 games:

Daisenryaku Expert WWII: War in Europe
Derby Jockey 2
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
Habu Meijin no Omoshiro Shogi
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
J.League '96 Dream Stadium
Jumpin' Derby
Kakinoki Shogi
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star
Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima
Masters New: Haruka Naru Augusta 3
Mini 4WD Shining Scorpion Let's & Go!!
Pebble Beach no Hotou: New Tournament Edition
PGA European Tour
PGA Tour '96
Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers
SD F-1 Grand Prix
SD Gundam G NEXT
Shin Shogi Club
Shogi Saikyou
Shogi Saikyou 2
Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Robot Taisen Gaiden: Maso Kishin – The Lord Of Elemental

S-DD1 games:

Star Ocean (unhacked version)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 / Zero 2

ST-011 games:

Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi

ST-018 games:

Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 2

SPC7110 games:

Far East of Eden Zero
Momotaro Dentetsu Happy
Super Power League 4

otakukidd

Yes. Not being able to get a nes classic pissed me off a lot. So I'm currently in the process of building one. I bought a broken super Nintendo that I was going gut and use as a case and soon get a 8bitdo controller.

Z..

Still don't get the appeal of retro pi... I just connect my laptop through HDMI. Do people not have laptops/desktops anymore these days or what?

My CFW Wii U is hitting all the marks, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBA, DS all on one box. I tried getting a NES Mini, never again. They and the scalpers can keep the SNES Mini

I subscribe to this religion! 64 emulation sucks though...

I don't own the original games and don't want to spend hours finding them, buying them and dumping them (+ dumping hardware and software).

We all know that's not what's happening here :)

The cost of buying all the games and hardware would push the price up way above SNES Classic Mini costs.

simmias

Still don't get the appeal of retro pi... I just connect my laptop through HDMI. Do people not have laptops/desktops anymore these days or what?
It's cheap, easy, tiny, and it sits permanently in my gaming setup with a dedicated HDMI slot in my receiver.

That's appealing to me.

Tain

These days, when I emulate and am not using some kind of official software, I don't want to mess with anything that isn't on a variable refresh display. A Pi would do nothing for me due to that.

Celine

I really think the SNES Mini hype is the total package. If you wanted to play those games, there's been many, many, ways over the years to do so.

It's kinda like saying you'll download an mp3 of a special edition gatefold vinyl. Yes, you'll get the music but that's not really the point.
Correct answer.

Can one rip with Wii U VC ROM?

I think so. But that would require you to buy a Wii U as well if you didn't have one, increasing the cost of this even more. Plus, there are games that aren't on the Wii U VC that are on SNES Classic, like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island.

BriGuy

I built one two weeks ago. Primarily for the SNES, but I migrated all of my NES, Gameboy and Genesis games over too. It was very easy and everything just kind of works. I heard things can get a bit more complicated with PSone and N64 games, but I always felt that was asking too much out of such a small and inexpensive machine.

Anyway, making a Retropie is highly recommended.

Sykotik

I built one two weeks ago. Primarily for the SNES, but I migrated all of my NES, Gameboy and Genesis games over too. It was very easy and everything just kind of works. I heard things can get a bit more complicated with PSone and N64 games, but I always felt that was asking too much out of such a small and inexpensive machine.

Anyway, making a Retropie is highly recommended.

Have you noticed any input lag that a poster mentioned above? What kind of controller are you using?

btrboyev

Playing the games is only one part of the consoles. Owning one in itself is what people want.

I have two Raspberry pies. One for the TV and one for my bartop. They are nice, but I wouldn't substitute for actually owning a piece of Nintendo hardware.

bionic77

Was this on a Pi 3?
Yes.

I was very impressed with the picture quality it put out.

Not impressed with the input lag. It was very noticeable on twitchy 8 bit videogames. I am not sure how it compares to the NES classic, but I hated it. I fiddled with the settings but it never made it to a level that I wanted it to be.

Also they are a PITA to set up. If you like entering in commands lines and tinkering with settings like it is 1986 then this shit is for you. I am more of a plug and play guy myself.

VariantX

No. But I will not judge anyone who chooses to go the emulation route instead of jumping through all those hoops to get an snes classic if all they want is to play the games rather than have a collectors item.

BriGuy

Have you noticed any input lag that a poster mentioned above? What kind of controller are you using?
I'm using the 8bitdo SNES controller. The lag is negligible for the most part (especially when you disable threaded video and plug the controller in), comparable to what you'd see with the NES Classic. It's probably most noticeable in Super Mario World. Still playable, but if you played the hell out of the SNES version, you'd know it was there.

KtSlime

I was never going to try to get a SNES classic. I knew that Nintendo would pull this shit again, so I didn't bother.I do like making weird things, though!

z3jSV2A.jpg

I made a few of these. One for myself and one for each of my brothers. It's just made of cardboard and card paper with a Pi Zero inside. My version has the USB port on the front because I have a converted USB SNES controller, but the others have a hardwired SNES controller hooked up to them.

Looks nice, what games did you buy for it?

Yes, if the ROMs are obtained illegally.

Also, I didn't preorder a SNES Mini just to play old SNES games I still have on cart. I got it for the only released version of Starfox 2 and a neat little package.

Yeah, see I wanted to buy one but Nintendo decided nah fam sorry.

SF2 is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

bionic77

I'm using the 8bitdo SNES controller. The lag is negligible for the most part (especially when you disable threaded video and plug the controller in), comparable to what you'd see with the NES Classic. It's probably most noticeable in Super Mario World. Still playable, but if you played the hell out of the SNES version, you'd know it was there.
I have that controller too.

Brilliant controller. It feels perfect. Even the packaging was cool.

The lag is more from something to do with either the hardware or emulation being used on the Pi than it is from the controller. Because I could never get it to work reliably via BT and always plugged mine in.

Never tried it on the Switch or PC, but I have not heard serious complaints of lag on either so I think this is an issue with the Pi.

droggg

I will be soon, I refuse to wait in line or deal with the online chaos that goes along with purchasing a console that plays 20 year old games. I've been a huge Nintendo fan my whole life but I just don't have the time/patience anymore.

Rookhelm

anyone know if the Dual Shock 4 works natively with RetroPi?

That is, can I just put it in synching mode, and the Pi will see it and can pair with it?

I got the 8bitdo controller, but it was a pain to get working.

bionic77

I will be soon, I refuse to wait in line or deal with the online chaos that goes along with purchasing a console that plays 20 year old games. I've been a huge Nintendo fan my whole life but I just don't have the time/patience anymore.
You need a lot of time and patience to get a Pi working right, unless you just buy one that is preloaded and those are usually ripoffs. I also don't know how well they work out of the box either.

I want to but my desire to make something and my ability to something nice are far apart. I'll probably just continue playing emulators on my pc or VC releases on my 2ds, Maybe someday I'll just buy a pi kit at Microcenter and slap one together.

droggg

You need a lot of time and patience to get a Pi working right, unless you just buy one that is preloaded and those are usually ripoffs. I also don't know how well they work out of the box either.

Luckily I have a buddy who is really good with this stuff and has configured multiple Pi's with tons of emulated games so I'll be ok in that regard.

KtSlime

Not only that, it is expensive and time consuming to track down all those games to buy. It probably costs quite a bit more to get those same games in cart form.

jacobeid

Banned
Luckily I have a buddy who is really good with this stuff and has configured multiple Pi's with tons of emulated games so I'll be ok in that regard.

I am far from a guru when it's comes to this type of stuff and I had my Pi put together and running games in about two hours last year. There are so many resources available now that it's basically just like following instructions from Ikea lol.

Not only that, it is expensive and time consuming to track down all those games to buy. It probably costs quite a bit more to get those same games in cart form.

Imagine a world in which a lot of us have been gaming for 20+ years and already own them?

Took me about two hours to go from zero to Super Metroid. Most of that was download and writing to the SD card.

To answer the OP's question, yes. I had Super Metroid on my wii VC but didn't want to deal with the composite cables so I installed retropie, installed the one game and it went very well.

bionic77

I am far from a guru when it's comes to this type of stuff and I had my Pi put together and running games in about two hours last year. There are so many resources available now that it's basically just like following instructions from Ikea lol.
That is a very apt comparison. Getting a Pi working and fiddling with the settings is about as enjoyable as assembling IKEA furniture.

The best solution is to have a guy like drogg.

I have a rp3 retropie setup, but there was a slight amount of input lag I could never get rid of and I just kind of gave up on tinkering. Single-handedly ruined it for me.

KTS2448

Somehow I was awake when news dropped of best buy having the SNES classic. Sadly I never had an opportunity for the NES classic.

Does anyone know of any retailer, China based or otherwise, Thats selling a fake version of the mini NES that looks the same, Has the same games, HDMI output, same size, etc.?

I'd love to go for the raspberry pi mini NES case but its...way too small to sit next to my SNES classic.

anyone know if the Dual Shock 4 works natively with RetroPi?

That is, can I just put it in synching mode, and the Pi will see it and can pair with it?

I got the 8bitdo controller, but it was a pain to get working.
Yes, just plug it usb. Bluetooth works also but haven't tried that.

Somnid

Why? I can play these games on many systems if I wanted to. The whole point of the SNES classic is the package. It's like when people say X with custom firmware is a good device for ROMs, who gives a shit?

bionic77

I have a rp3 retropie setup, but there was a slight amount of input lag I could never get rid of and I just kind of gave up on tinkering. Single-handedly ruined it for me.
I had the same problem.

Ruined it for me.

Which is too bad because as I said the image quality was amazing. I loved the way the games looked on the tv.

Fliesen

is it, though?

I mean, isn't there pre-compiled pi images for any kind of use-case, that basically just involve putting the SD into your PC, running the installer, and putting it back into the pi?
Especially now that there's wifi, bluetooth and stuff built in. - previously you'd have to buy the proper dongle and download the drivers via the command line.

It's the beauty of the OS running exclusively from the SD card.

That also means you can always just backup your working and fully configured image to your PC, so you can just re-flash the SD again, when it eventually gets corrupted :p

Top Bottom