• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Talk about yourself. The quincies are much more interesting than the arrancar. At the very least there´s a huge bad blood between the 2. There have been bad blood for a long time. The quincy shinigami war has always showed the dark side of both shinigami and quincies. It´s great that Kubo has highlighted that the Gotei 13´s wrong doing throughout this manga.
There is no real foreshadowing of anything; you're just overanalyzing random occurrences and assigning them significance, e.g. the fact that some shape in the Soul Society arc looked like their pendants doesn't intrinsically have independent significance beyond being the same shape. There really wasn't any real reason to believe Quincy-Shinigami war was significant beyond establishing Ishida's character arc, which has only been important in and of itself.

Edit: What I'm getting at is the fact that there wasn't any reason to assume the Quincy were actually the final villains beyond just hand waving the fact it could sort of make sense. It's not compelling to me, partially because instead of actually giving us any reason to care, Kubo just skipped to 10,000 fights.

Big One

Banned
Bleach

Dear Tite Kubo: Nobody cares about the Quincy. They are not compelling at all, and their appearance is just you taking a minor plot point that wasn't interesting and pretending that it is now important. Your grasp of German is worse than your grasp of English.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Quincy have always been an important plotpoint, just that Kubo likes to spend a lot of time on unimportant things and makes battles that should last a single chapter into 2-3 volumes worth of material. Just the execution is very meh since basically Kubo thinks that introducing them as these hax dudes makes them intersting. It would be much much more interesting if the Quincy weren't hax but found other ways to deal with Shinigami like infiltrating Soul Society from the inside.

I'd be more interested if the Quincy just did something different than every other Bleach character does. Transformation, sword, teleport, slash with the force of 1000 suns. It's all the same shit, but with different appearances.

upandaway

Suashi no Meteorite 7

I don't even want to think how much piss I would've expelled if I had pointy objects fear, and in MC's position. Some even stabbed him, what the fuck.

I'm guessing the SE ran away due to the chicks. Things are getting serious a bit too fast.. I would have liked some more tranquility before it explodes like that.

Solune

So is the story gonna end or are they just moving it to a different magazine? Also wiki says Jump Next is seasonal so that's like 4 issues per year?

Should've touched up on this but apparently from Wiki
Jump NEXT! (ジャンプNEXT!, Janpu NEXT!?) is the seasonal edition of Weekly Shōnen Jump which is published on Japanese holidays, which was previously published under the name of Akamaru Jump (アカマルジャンプ, Akamaru Janpu?) The magazine features many amateur manga artists who get their one-shots published in the magazine. Akamaru Jump also puts additional one-shot titles by professional manga artists, which promote upcoming series to be published in the main magazine. It also features yonkoma of popular series such as Death Note and Naruto. Jump NEXT! has had several other past special versions:

Given the nature of holidays they typically have holidays at least once a month, except for the summer I believe.

upandaway

Should've touched up on this but apparently from Wiki

Given the nature of holidays they typically have holidays at least once a month, except for the summer I believe.
Dunno about the holidays but Jump NEXT is still 3 per year, just like Akamaru Jump was

(or is it 4? eh, who cares)

(y'know i kinda think it's 3)

(my confidence is kinda shaken now, maybe it's 4)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A friend of mine on Facebook is going off about Tobi secretly being some random Uchiha member and I'm trolling him with DTL's "Sasuke from the Future" theory.

Gou-dere Bishoujo Nagihara Sora 11

B4z0q.jpg

I worry that the MC will eventually leave this house and we'll end up with less mom.

Truth101

Banned
ManGAF

Recommend me some Fantasy manga.

Read

-HSD:Kenichi
-KTR
-One Piece
-Bleach
-Ao no Exorcist
-Toriko
-HxH
-Cage of Eden
-MSN
-Claymore
-Nurarihyon
-Aphorism
-Medaka Box
-Rosario to Vampire
-Magi
-Magico
-Tower of God
-Paladin
-Veritas
-Breaker
-God of High School
-Sun Rock Ken
-Berserk
-ID
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Last Ranker
-Ubell Blatt
-Blood Lad
-Soul Eater
-Rave Master
-Fairy Tail
-Kongou Banchou
-Ga-Rei
-Psyren
-Mx0
-Kaibutsu Oujo
-Double Arts
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Legend of Tyr
-Black God
-Yureka
-Index
-Superior
-Tenjou Teen
-Defense Devil

Ect....

Read all those except Jojo and Kamisama. Will check out Kamisama

If Jojo's art style wasn't so bad I'd probably have read it Already, haha.

Kamisama isn't really fantasy though. It's more like sci-fi horror. It's pretty much a shounen Gantz that isn't retarded.

You should read it anyway though because it's good.

Truth101

Banned
Kamisama isn't really fantasy though. It's more like sci-fi horror. It's pretty much a shounen Gantz that isn't retarded.

You should read it anyway though because it's good.

Gantz isn't too bad though, on the gore, compared to some stuff I've read.. Ugh... some stuff is just vomit inducing nasty ><

ManGAF

Recommend me some Fantasy manga.

Vinland Saga

p2tUK.jpg

Although not exactly fantasy, this manga is still fantastic. It is a viking manga set in early 11th century Northern Europe, with great art, good story, excellent fight scenes, and a suprising amount of historical detail. If you like the medieval setting you should definately check it out!

Zekes!

Read all those except Jojo and Kamisama. Will check out Kamisama

If Jojo's art style wasn't so bad I'd probably have read it Already, haha.

You're doing yourself a disservice not reading JoJo. The artwork gets better as it goes along as well, and is a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of other manga.

Truth101

Banned
Iris zero
Pandora Hearts

Both read

Vinland Saga

p2tUK.jpg

Although not exactly fantasy, this manga is still fantastic. It is a viking manga set in early 11th century Northern Europe, with great art, good story, excellent fight scenes, and a suprising amount of historical detail. If you like the medieval setting you should definately check it out!

Now if only the farming arc ever ends!

Ushio & Tora.

I've looked at Ushio and Tora, kinda forgot about it though. Gives me a Flames of Recca vibe from the artwork.

You're doing yourself a disservice not reading JoJo. The artwork gets better as it goes along as well.

Alright I'll look into it no gaurantees though.

There is nothing wrong with not enjoying Jojo because of the art. It is a very distinctive style that sometimes makes it difficult to tell what is going on. As detailed as it is, I can't say I haven't been confused by plenty of panels and had to look over them more than I would for most other series.

gotta love how you can just pop out your sharingan like jello or something ;P

And yeah bleach... hope Hat Cap get's an eyepatch later! And naturally he got the news before he showed off his bankai T_T.

Speaking of Bleach, while Im rewatching this random ruruchiro filler...since Kenpachi doesnt really have a bankai but Kendo, I wonder if he will take on multiple of the Sternritter easily, they dont really seem to look like they have powerful physical presences.

Also Jinta and Ururu's past needs to be elucidated.

Speaking of Bleach, while Im rewatching this random ruruchiro filler...since Kenpachi doesnt really have a bankai but Kendo, I wonder if he will take on multiple of the Sternritter easily, they dont really seem to look like they have powerful physical presences.

Also Jinta and Ururu's past needs to be elucidated.

I DO expect Kenpachi to utterly slaughter whoever his opponent is.

Kusagari

Is it series 4 that throws you? Because I stopped there for a long time before I decided to skip it.

The scanlations in general are horrible, but, yeah, it's 4 that's put me off for the longest. I really should go back.

Medaka Box:
[MedakaBox]-ch151_11.png

This chapter reminded me why I love this series. Zenkichi being alpha as fuck, and Kumagawa showing why he's the best thing about this manga.

Truth101

Banned
The scanlations in general are horrible, but, yeah, it's 4 that's put me off for the longest. I really should go back.

Medaka Box:
[MedakaBox]-ch151_11.png

This chapter reminded me why I love this series. Zenkichi being alpha as fuck, and Kumagawa showing why he's the best thing about this manga.

Did Medaka Box ever improve, got laughably bad around chapter 70?

Soma

Medaka Box

Hand-bra jeans. Kumagawa, you are truly a visionary beyond our time.

Pretty awesome chapter.

Didn't expect him to get Bookmaker back as well :O

gdt

Haven't read any manga in a while, so I'm catching up on my the stuff I lost track of.

Finished catching up to Berserk last night.

WTF is this shit. This is never getting done.....but it's so good :(. Not to mention the new arc is a flashback ffs.

One Piece is up next. Lost track around the beginning of the mermaid island arc.

Naruto

This story again with another boring addition.....yawn.

Let see what the Sauce decides to do.

Bleach

The affected captians are fucking idiots. They do the thing they know they shouldn't since it has a horrible result and are still surprised when the result happens.

At least i saw Ice dumbass suffering and Mayuri not being lumped with these idiots so this chapter is alright at least.

A friend of mine on Facebook is going off about Tobi secretly being some random Uchiha member and I'm trolling him with DTL's "Sasuke from the Future" theory.

YES!!!

i officially endorse this theory. :p

Weekly rankings for June 11-17:

*1, 222,909 *,222,909 Chihayafuru, Vol. 17
*2, 172,046 *,172,046 Fairy Tail, Vol. 33
*3, *82,286 *,*82,286 Tonari no Atashi, Vol. 10
*4, *81,087 *,604,962 Bleach, Vol. 55
*5, *73,762 *,*73,762 Air Gear, Vol. 36
*6, *72,612 *,*72,612 Shura no Mon: Dai Ni Mon, Vol.6
*7, *68,907 *,*68,907 Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo, 20th Anniversary Series Vol. 1
*8, *64,059 *,399,210 Bakuman., Vol. 19
*9, *63,157 *,*63,157 Mashiro no Oto, Vol. 6
10, *57,673 *,*57,673 Area no Kishi , Vol. 31

11, *54,215 *,*54,215 Detective Conan, Vol. 76
12, *53,600 *,*53,600 Dear Boys Act III, Vol. 10
13, *52,683 *,170,075 Initial D: First Stage, Vol. 45
14, *51,776 *,279,483 Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Vol.39
15, *48,562 *,*98,062 7Seeds, Vol. 22
16, *45,380 *,*45,380 Fairy Tail Special Edition with DVD, Vol. 33
17, *43,016 *,*43,016 Ouke no Monshou, Vol. 57
18, *40,903 *,*40,903 Kimi no Iru Machi, Vol. 18
19, *40,564 *,*40,564 Taiyou no Ie,Vol. 6
20, *37,252 *,183,427 Claymore, Vol. 22

21, *36,708 *,190,209 Beelzebub, Vol. 16
22, *36,321 *,*36,321 Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, 31
23, *34,066 *,*75,149 Sankarea, Vol. 6
24, *33,837 *,519,459 Kuroshitsuji, Vol. 14
25, *33,147 *,*33,147 Shura no Mon Iden: Fudekage, Vol. 3
26, *31,692 *,*31,692 Gisèle Alain, Vol. 3
27, *30,844 3,024,596 One Piece, Vol. 66
28, *29,910 1,055,967 Kimi ni Todoke, Vol. 16
29, *27,474 *,357,665 Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu, Vol. 15
30, *27,092 *,*57,867 BTOOOM!, Vol. 8

i see OP 66 finally crosses 3 mill

Officially less clever than DTL.

Bleach

Dear Tite Kubo: Nobody cares about the Quincy. They are not compelling at all, and their appearance is just you taking a minor plot point that wasn't interesting and pretending that it is now important. Your grasp of German is worse than your grasp of English.

In the beginning i was interested but they don't seem any different from the other enemies so far.

At least soul society is getting fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom