• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

Can't say I really care about this.

Maybe they could have put a Miiverse feed filter in specifically for accomplishments though so that if you're someone who DOES care, you could see all the 'news' about friends accomplishments that way.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Didn't stop Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii.

Dunno about MKWii but Brawl had some sort of achievement list in them so I guess they don't want to carry them elsewhere? I remember games like Star Ocean 3 having Battle Trophies being locked in the memory card due to similar reasons.

NickMitch

Thank god Nintendo gives the choice to the developers to act like a first grade teacher:

"Oh good boy/girl, you just finished your first day in school. Here´s a star for you and you are only 4 999 999 796 XP points from graduation."

The only achievement needed is the credits. But nowadays you could just watch them via the settings or the main menu. Thats just lame.

Riposte

I think achievements are stupid, but they are only hurting themselves by not including them. It is not a good sign for Nintendo's efforts to meet PSN and Live.

Look, all I want is some kind of list where I can see what my friends have been up to. I do not think this is really a lot to ask for, and it is absurd to suggest that users should just do the legwork and type up stuff about what they did in the game through this specific avenue.
Thank you. This is what I use the systems for. I dont care about gamerscore or level, I just like being able see what my friends have done. For more specific things to ask and post about, miiverse sounds great. But a general list of things to do thats visible to your friends, and standard with everyone playing the game is a good feature imo.

Joni

Honestly, stuff like this adds up and really kills my hype for the console. This isn't a deal breaker, but there is just so many little things that kill my buzz for the system.

But at least Reggie was right, Batman is not the same game on the Wii U. It had Achievements/Trophies on the other systems...

Haunted

Miiverse is the first thing you see when you boot up the Wii U. So it's not separate at all. Once you're ingame you're able to pull up a menu anytime that you want to access Miiverse.
So with all I've learned in this thread, it does sound similar to how Steam handles it, at least in theory. Now it's just a matter of how many devs can make use of it.

Glass Joe

"Optional" achievements are okay but kinda lame. I agree that they shouldn't be forced. But they should be uniform across participating games (points given per game, etc) and viewable on a channel. Otherwise it's pretty pointless, since much of the appeal is to see game progress amongst profiles without having to boot up the game.

Maybe I'm underestimating MiiVerse though, but so far I just see that as a glorified GameFAQs board. Maybe that can do kind of the same idea, somewhat. I'm pretty sure most 3rd party ports will put them in, just in game instead of system wide.

One thing that is kinda related and handy that the 3DS has is the play time log. I really like knowing how much time I've put into each title, and it's nice to see that move over to Wii U. Just, apparently it can't track Wii stuff (Wii games, VC) so that's a bit nerfed from my expectations too.

Achievements seem silly to not include. Just another one of those "We didn't think of it so we won't do it" kind of deals that Nintendo is known for. Too bad because they could have added their own spin to it. Like hiring that Smash Bros guy to create an environment where achievement points unlock trophies across the U catalog.

Didn't PS3 patch them in later? Maybe it's not impossible to see something down the line, especially if most 3rd party stuff keep the triggers for them in the code.

Eusis

Thank god Nintendo gives the choice to the developers to act like a first grade teacher:

"Oh good boy/girl, you just finished your first day in school. Here´s a star for you and you are only 4 999 999 796 XP points from graduation."

The only achievement needed is the credits. But nowadays you could just watch them via the settings or the main menu. Thats just lame.
To be fair that was always a choice: Earth Defense Force only gave achievements for exactly what you outlined (and getting every weapon). It won't even give them if you're playing co-op with someone and you're not the primary player. And of the games I played the "we'll give you gold starts for pressing start!" mentality was uncommon, more often it was for completing the first stage or a tutorial, which at least requires some effort put in.

Noi

Anyways, pending dumb things like that I don't think the Wii U will force save locking for any reason that wasn't already there on something like PS2: we all have accounts, I imagine one's required whether or not you go online, and thus each save can be marked with its native account, and if it's not in that account anything achievement related for a game is blocked off.

That's exactly how saves on the PS3 currently work, the ones that aren't locked anyway. Though at the least, PS+ does give me an option to copy locked saves. Wish I didn't need a reason to do so though!

Looking it up though, Elebits also has locked saves. What's the excuse for that one? :p

Dunno about MKWii but Brawl had some sort of achievement list in them so I guess they don't want to carry them elsewhere? I remember games like Star Ocean 3 having Battle Trophies being locked in the memory card due to similar reasons.

Yeah, SO3 had two saves files, one for battle trophies (which was locked) and one for the normal saves ( which wasn't). Memory card deaths were more than annoying back then...

Splint

Soo....can the NeoGAF guy that made this claim explain the whole Miiverse accomplishment thing? I'd like to survive in ZombiU for a good long time and have that listed on there.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That seems like a really out of touch decision, achievement/trophies are popular for a reason and not having them seems crzy. Maybe they'll change their mind like sony.

Eusis

Looking it up though, Elebits also has locked saves. What's the excuse for that one? :p
I'd say the same excuse as Heavy Rain (whatever the fuck that is), but more likely it's the same reason for Perfect Dark Zero: system's young, they don't really know what is/isn't a good idea to use, and they just go ahead and use that anyway when later on the standard becomes to NOT use it. Though given this is following the PS2 I don't really get why Konami would do that.

I'm fine with the optional part. That's what Steam and Gamecenter do.
But not having it integrated system wide seems really short sighted.

xbhaskarx

Why can't anything ever be normal with Nintendo and WiiU?

There is always some weird twist to everything, it's like they're just fucking with people, or seeing what bizarre decisions they can get fanboys to defend.

"There will be cross game chat, but only for people over 5'10" on Wednesdays."

There is always some weird twist to everything, it's like they're just fucking with people, or seeing what bizarre decisions they can get fanboys to defend.

Nintendo's the strange hipster of the video game industry.

It always likes to do things differently just to piss off guys on a hardcore gaming forum.

And, it's part of Nintendo's simplistic philosophy. They hate clutter and "unnecessary" additions. I'm assuming system-wide achievements fall under that "unnecessary addition" category for them.

bon

Just think about the highlighted. Do you feel as though that is a valid argument... for gaming?

Gamerscores are silly because they're totally unbalanced. In some games it's incredibly easy to get 1000 points, while in others it's nearly impossible. A high overall score doesn't mean anything because, chances are, they got it by playing stuff like Avatar just for the easy cheevos. It's like the most broken high score list ever.

Eusis

Gamerscores are silly because they're totally unbalanced. In some games it's incredibly easy to get 1000 points, while in others it's nearly impossible. A high overall score doesn't mean anything because, chances are, they got it by playing stuff like Avatar just for the easy cheevos. It's like the most broken high score list ever.
They seem to have gotten better over time... which is part of why they've become so bland. Nevermind how some games love the freebie ones.

I'm so happy about this. Ideally, it would be nice to have them and let you set notifications on a per game basis. That wouldn't happen though, so thankfully I won't have to worry about the mood being broken in the next Zelda with a "You used a key!" award.

Haunted

There is always some weird twist to everything, it's like they're just fucking with people or seeing what bizarre decisions they can get fanboys to defend.

Well, that's fine, really. I'm 6'2" and Wednesdays is the only time I have time for chatting, anyway. It's great that Nintendo is looking out for me and making sure I'm not bothered by chat-invites going out on Tuesdays when I just want to play games and not chat.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry guys, next gen Nintendo will give us an actual online platform.

Toki767

I wonder, if like Sony with trophies, this will be something they add in a future firmware update. Then it gets into the whole "Does this game have Accomplishments?" asking anytime a new game comes out.

guek

Banned
Soo....can the NeoGAF guy that made this claim explain the whole Miiverse accomplishment thing? I'd like to survive in ZombiU for a good long time and have that listed on there.

There's a good chance that'll still happen. From my understanding of it (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), miiverse works in a similar way as twitter. You can post about getting specific medals, accomplishments, etc. in miiverse, or pretty much whatever you want, and your friends will see them. However, I think what this means is that there's no system wide tracking of accomplishments so you're not going to get something like a gamer score. It might also be somewhat of a pain to see all the accomplishments someone has made. Miiverse's organization and full options are still a bit of a mystery and likely wont become clear until launch day. I wouldn't be surprised though if nintendo had no real categorization of achievements, meaning it might be a pain to see what your friend has done in a game they finished 6 months ago. But who knows, I might be wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

Toki767

There's a good chance that'll still happen. From my understanding of it (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), miiverse works in a similar way as twitter. You can post about getting specific medals, accomplishments, etc. in miiverse, or pretty much whatever you want, and your friends will see them. However, I think what this means is that there's no system wide tracking of accomplishments so you're not going to get something like a gamer score. It might also be somewhat of a pain to see all the accomplishments someone has made. Miiverse's organization and full options are still a bit of a mystery and likely wont become clear until launch day. I wouldn't be surprised though if nintendo had no real categorization of achievements, meaning it might be a pain to see what your friend has done in a game they finished 6 months ago. But who knows, I might be wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm guessing how it'll work is if you do something to earn an Accomplishment in a game that has one, it'll ask if you want to share it to everyone on Miiverse.

I wonder, if like Sony with trophies, this will be something they add in a future firmware update. Then it gets into the whole "Does this game have Accomplishments?" asking anytime a new game comes out.

They are about 7-8 years behind Sony when it comes to technology so 2014-2015 sounds likely ;)

Krilekk

Banned
So achievements are important...

Of course they are. Addictions lead to higher game sales. Gamers love to see their game history and their achievements and are much less likely to switch platforms in the future. This is a stupid decision by Nintendo for so many reasons. I wonder if it's because they don't want to pay patent fees to a competitor.

mxgt

Banned
This doesn't bother me, in fact I quite like it. I'm not a fan of achievements.

When I see one pop up for watching an intro I just roll my eyes

Of course they are. Addictions lead to higher game sales. Gamers love to see their game history and their achievements and are much less likely to switch platforms in the future. This is a stupid decision by Nintendo for so many reasons. I wonder if it's because they don't want to pay patent fees to a competitor.

I thought gamers just liked to play games?

It'd be interesting to see statistics on how many people actually cared about the whole achievements / trophies nonsense.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Thank God!!!

Achievements were created so that stupid people wouldn't realize that the things they use to unlock for free are now sold separately.

Ledsen

THANK YOU nintendo

Achievements in their current form do nothing but contribute negatively to gaming as a whole. Pandering to obsessive compulsives who enjoy seeing numbers go up more than they enjoy the actual game.

guek

Banned
I'm guessing how it'll work is if you do something to earn an Accomplishment in a game that has one, it'll ask if you want to share it to everyone on Miiverse.

Exactly. You can actually see that in action in the miiverse promo nintendo put out a few days ago. The guy's playing NSMBU, gets a medal, and posts it on miiverse instantly.

Boss Doggie

wat

"achievements" exist prior to achievements

From the ND video it could be something specific, not something you just typed iirc

madmackem

THANK YOU nintendo

Achievements in their current form do nothing but contribute negatively to gaming as a whole. Pandering to obsessive compulsives who enjoy seeing numbers go up more than they enjoy the actual game.

What utter bollocks, you dont have to have anything at all to do with achievements if you dont want to. I find this type of post strange, so your happy people who like them cant have them because you dont like them. Pretty childish take on life.

So with all I've learned in this thread, it does sound similar to how Steam handles it, at least in theory. Now it's just a matter of how many devs can make use of it.

Yeah, I think that's the biggest concern that people have. Developers have shown that they'll ignore something unless they have to use it. Just look at how rarely developers use the PS3's optional custom soundtrack support. Although this should be much easier for them considering that they'll have trophy/achievement lists.

There is an upside to this for those that do like trophies/achievements. It's unlikely that Nintendo will put any sort of cap on the number of accomplishments allowed per game. Both Sony and MS have a cap in place for their systems. Retail games usually only have around 50 or so achievement/trophies. Then you have something like Xenoblade which had 200 achievements on its own.

Ledsen

What utter bollocks, you dont have to have anything at all to do with achievements if you dont want to. I find this type of post strange, so your happy people who like them cant have them because you dont like them. Pretty childish take on life.

They contribute to the "everything must be rewarded" mentality that was pioneered by MMORPGs and now pervades modern gaming. I welcome anyone who resists the trend.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They indirectly influence third-party game sales. Giving options to developers is nice but chances are they probably won't bother with it. Nintendo should have made it compulsory.

guek

Banned
Yeah, I think that's the biggest concern that people have. Developers have shown that they'll ignore something unless they have to use it. Just look at how rarely developers use the PS3's optional custom soundtrack support. Although this should be much easier for them considering that they'll have trophy/achievement lists.

There is an upside to this for those that do like trophies/achievements. It's unlikely that Nintendo will put any sort of cap on the number of accomplishments allowed per game. Both Sony and MS have a cap in place for their systems. Retail games usually only have around 50 or so achievement/trophies. Then you have something like Xenoblade which had 200 achievements on its own.

For multi-plats, if achievements are already made for the other platforms, I doubt they'd take em out of the wii u sku for no reason.

Overall, I think most people are going to be satisfied one way or another. The only ones that have something to be really sad about are people who really like having a gamerscore.

Miiverse is one big glorified achievements list that you can use to communicate with your friends using either in-game achievements or achievements you made up on your own.

madmackem

They contribute to the "everything must be rewarded" mentality that was pioneered by MMORPGs and now pervades modern gaming. I welcome anyone who resists the trend.

But you dont have to have anything to do with them, i can turn them off on my 360 remove the ping noise and its like they arnt there. Im hoping they see fit to update the os with party chat and at least a list type thing i can look at on my friends list i dont care about numbers.

Boss Doggie

Back then they existed but their rewards are far more substantial than e-penis.

Unlockable music, new modes, costumes, etc.

Footos22

Massive trophy/Achievement whore.

I couldn't care less. In fact I would prefer it without. Got other systems for that.
Let me enjoy mario with my daughter without such meaningless things being there.
I shall buy assassins creed 3 on the wii U to avoid shitty multiplayer trophies and length padding collectibles.

def sim

I have never understood the point of achievements on a console.

Acheive what?

If this is a deal breaker for you...I suggest you reflect on your life, get out and achieve in real life!!!

You're reading too much into what they're called. They're just fun little goals that a player can go for if they wanted to.

To be on topic, I'm surprised Nintendo is ignoring this system altogether. I expected them expand on it, more so than the other two, and actually make it a lot more interesting in their funky little way.

Tiu Neo

That's a dumb move from Nintendo. I think achievements/trophies/accomplishments are an important part of the "social gaming" they are trying to sell. At least that's how I mostly use them, to compare my own progress with the progress my friends made.

Filtering messages from something like a facebook feed looks like a step back from that, since sometimes I compare my achievements/trophies with friends that played the game a long time ago, for example.

guek

Banned
You're reading too much into what they're called. They're just fun little goals that a player can go for if they wanted to.

To be on topic, I'm surprised Nintendo is ignoring this system altogether. I expected them expand on it, more so than the other two, and actually make it a lot more interesting in their funky little way.

They are. It's called miiverse. Nintendo isn't barring achievements from games, just not making them compulsory or mandating a gamerscore.

Top Bottom