• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to Increase 12nm Production for Next-Gen Volta GPU

Cutebrute

Vega can't even beat Pascal and it is already Volta time.

12nm is a new name for improved 16nm.

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'm still very excited for Volta, even though I don't really need to upgrade anytime soon (Gtx 1060 on an ultrawide 1080p display).

ethomaz

Banned
The thread title doesn'the follow the quote. Huang basically said he is NOT going to release Volta this year as he sees Pascal competing fine. He doesn't say anything about increasing Volta production.
The news itself is reporting the TSMC increasing the production of Volta chips... one of these chips releases this year in HPC marketing as V100... the others probably early 2018.

But the news was too small so they used a old quote telling gaming Volta maybe late 2017 but probably early 2018 to fill the blank.

The title uses the correct news.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ditto. I'm almost definitely going to buy an 1180 Ti or whatever it becomes. My last card was a 970, current card a 1070, and PC gaming is a big enough hobby for me that I'll just put up the cash. Currently on a 1440p 144Hz gsync monitor, so a Ti would be a nice pairing. For now, almost all of my gaming is Rocket League though. :lol

And I even run Rocket League at reduced settings for ultra consistent ~144hz frametimes (I actually cap it at 143 FPS IIRC).
Hahaa I respect that RL & performance dedication. Will likely upgrade to Volta as well but still deciding on Ryzen 2 or Ice Lake. Next build will definitely be high end VR focused.

2018 is the right year for upgrades it seems:

• Icelake 10nm+ (new architecture + process)
  • New Intel Quadcore Audio standard (replacing our ancient audio standard)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (double the bandwidth)
  • Volta (4K 60fps Ultra promised land)
  • Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

Hope so, I'm gonna need BuildGAF's help going from scratch at some point!

O gog. I went from that to a 290x and the jump was insane. I just bought a 1080ti and the jump from a fury is gonna be insane. You're looking at a crazy jump.

Yeah I'd get like 4x performance increase or something ridiculous lol

Do you have a Microcenter near you? Get a 1080ti, but a warranty and when the new series is out just return it, get all your money back and pay the difference for the new one. Microcenter employees have encourged me to do that several times and I won't complainin lol

Wow that sounds great! Unfortunately I don't have one nearby :(

I would just go buy a new GPU today if I were you. Volta is clearly a decent ways off, not to mention waiting for AIB cards, etc.

Get a 1080 Ti and ride it out for several years, imho.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I just gotta figure out which model I want. Thinking about the strix, I know this might not be the right place to ask but if anyone has any advice on which one to get it would be greatly appreciated.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

• Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

<strokes chin>

I will continue to save up using this possibility.

Sajko

well rip...

Was planing to replace my I5 750 and HD6970. First miners happened, now they are hyping all these things up. Guess I am waiting now.

well rip...

Was planing to replace my I5 750 and HD6970. First miners happened, now they are hyping all these things up. Guess I am waiting now.

And then you will wait for reference editions; And then you will wait for price gouging on early consumers to come down; And then you will wait for stock to stabilize and miners to stop buying; And then it'll be a year too late and the next card will be soon to be released.

jrcbandit

Will wait for the Ti version, don't want to downgrade from 11 GB of video card memory from the 1080 Ti and since Vega is 8 GB I don't see Nvidia making the 1180 more then 8 GB. Nothing exciting in 2018 for me unless Zen 2 turns out to be an amazing overclocker so that I replace my 1700x, although I guess the 1180 Ti could come out in say November if the 1100 series debuts in February.

Yeah I'd get like 4x performance increase or something ridiculous lol

Wow that sounds great! Unfortunately I don't have one nearby :(

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I just gotta figure out which model I want. Thinking about the strix, I know this might not be the right place to ask but if anyone has any advice on which one to get it would be greatly appreciated.

I would personally only choose between the Strix and the MSI Gaming X. They seem to consistently make great cards. EVGA is also good but with some of their issues (heat spreader stuff and whatnot) I would lean Asus or MSI. And there's the Gigabyte G1 Gaming (or I assume they have that model... they did for the other Nvidia cards). But I'm biased towards MSI or Asus myself.

I had an MSI Gaming X 970 and now a Gaming X 1070 and they are outstanding cards. My friend has a Strix 1070 and I think he's very happy with his too.

Shin

Banned
Hmm I was under the impression Volta would be on TSMC's 7nm node, I wonder if it will still be around 15TF.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
and AMD are back to playing catch up! Took them a year to put something out up against the 1070/1080 and nvidia are bringing Volta out soon lol.

my 1070 hasn't let me down yet so probably will hold off until whatever comes after volta.

Shin

Banned
and AMD are back to playing catch up!
They are still playing catch up as is seeing that Vega doesn't soundly beat a 1080/Ti/XP.
It's because of that shit nVidia doesn't see the need to release Volta earlier so we remain somewhat stagnant when we could be moving forward a lot faster and get more bang for the buck.
Next year Vega won't do shit either because it will be a refresh on either 7nm or 12nm so that won't change the current situation.

and AMD are back to playing catch up! Took them a year to put something out up against the 1070/1080 and nvidia are bringing Volta out soon lol.

my 1070 hasn't let me down yet so probably will hold off until whatever comes after volta.

Probably same here. Unless I get a new monitor (which would be from ultrawide 1080p 75 Hz to ultrawide 1440p 144 Hz)

dr_rus

While the production increase may in fact be related to the next NV's GPU lineup, I don't think that it will be based on Volta.

Renekton

Quadcore audio? Do you have more info on this? Google seems to be not pulling it up.

He meant Intel® High Definition Audio

What's Quadcore Audio?
wbbW1Bl.jpg

This is Intel's first upgrade to its audio standard in a very long time.

scoobs

They are still playing catch up as is seeing that Vega doesn't soundly beat a 1080/Ti/XP.
It's because of that shit nVidia doesn't see the need to release Volta earlier so we remain somewhat stagnant when we could be moving forward a lot faster and get more bang for the buck.
Next year Vega won't do shit either because it will be a refresh on either 7nm or 12nm so that won't change the current situation.

The 1080ti just came out and is an absolute monster, how are we stagnating exactly? It makes absolutely no sense for Volta to come out this year.

Shin

Banned
The 1080ti just came out and is an absolute monster, how are we stagnating exactly? It makes absolutely no sense for Volta to come out this year.

That's great and all if you have one and is content with it.
Had AMD brought something worthwhile to the table we might have seen Volta earlier, emphasis on might.
They didn't so nVidia can take it's sweet time and outdo themselves, it's kinda stupid but it is what it is.

Shin

Banned
i have a 1080ti

can't wait for a volta ti

so i can lust after the next nvidia card

(help me)

I approve of this :p
That's how it goes with CPU/GPU, you're either waiting and waiting and waiting or you replace last year's model ASAP.

scoobs

That's great and all if you have one and is content with it.
Had AMD brought something worthwhile to the table we might have seen Volta earlier, emphasis on might.
They didn't so nVidia can take it's sweet time and outdo themselves, it's kinda stupid but it is what it is.

I'm fine with it as long as they keep outdoing themselves. The beauty of Nvidia is they are so focused on pushing new GPU technology for deep learning that their gaming division will continue to get new and powerful cards as a byproduct. Don't have to worry about them pulling an intel and sitting on their thumbs for years because there's no competition.

Shin

Banned
I'm fine with it as long as they keep outdoing themselves. The beauty of Nvidia is they are so focused on pushing new GPU technology for deep learning that their gaming division will continue to get new and powerful cards as a byproduct. Don't have to worry about them pulling an intel and sitting on their thumbs for years because there's no competition.

That much is true, plus they have their power consumption in order as well (basically they got almost everything in order).
For me it's mainly got to do with the next gen of consoles (hence why I need things to move a lot faster, especially with AMD).

• Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

Hell. Yes.

I'm going all in on my next build.

scoobs

That much is true, plus they have their power consumption in order as well (basically they got almost everything in order).
For me it's mainly got to do with the next gen of consoles (hence why I need things to move a lot faster, especially with AMD).

Next gen consoles will almost certainly use what you are seeing released right now by AMD, so things moving quicker doesn't really help you in your case.

laxu

I'm happy with my 980 ti. I'm not updating until the next console gen is released.

So am I but I do want to move to 4K. As it happens 4K high refresh rate monitors should be coming next year so I'm interested in Volta as the x80 part might be just that bit faster than 1080 Ti to make it possible to . At 1440p I currently play at I have no need to upgrade right now.

Kareha

Well I was thinking of getting a 1080 Ti to finally upgrade from my 980 Ti, but as it's still beasting most of my games at 1440p guess I'll save a bit extra money and wait till next year now.

luffeN

What the hell is icelake? Coffee lake already obsolete? Is it the same? *googles*

Ah okay, so it is Coffee lake, Cannonlake and then Ice Lake 2019 earliest.

ezodagrom

What the hell is icelake? Coffee lake already obsolete? Is it the same? *googles*

Ah okay, so it is Coffee lake, Cannonlake and then Ice Lake 2019 earliest.
There's reports that Cannonlake will be used only on low power laptop CPUs, so when it comes to desktop, Icelake will be Coffee Lake's successor.

riflen

What do you mean?

I expect he means that Volta as shown in V100 is more of a departure from an architecture suitable for Geforce than we've seen in recent times. Nvidia's plans for the next Geforce might be a design as yet unannounced. At this point in time we have zero information, so I'd say it's at least possible given the landscape.

MaDKaT

Built my current rig for VR and I have been really itching to replace my 1080 and a Ti isnt quite the jump Im looking for. Guess a new build next year will coincide nicely with what I hope to be gen 2 headsets.

Oh yeah, this is what I'm waiting for now. I hope that the recently reignited buttcoin craze will not affect prices too much. I'll be in as soon as something not a Founders Edition is out.

4k 60fps for couch TV gaming in the living room, and 1440p 100+ fps for competitive shooters in my PC room will be awesome.

1070 + 1440p GSync going strong here.

I have my eye on those insane GSync 4K + 144Hz + FALD HDR monitors coming out next year though. Quantum dot will do since I don't see anything about an OLED gaming monitor coming out anytime soon

Volta will be a nice fit for those.

dr_rus

What do you mean?

That the next GeForce architecture will be different from Volta in both name and h/w.

It also makes little sense to use Volta for a GeForce lineup nearly a year after Volta's launch. It would've made sense in 2017, not so much in 2018.

That the next GeForce architecture will be different from Volta in both name and h/w.

It also makes little sense to use Volta for a GeForce lineup nearly a year after Volta's launch. It would've made sense in 2017, not so much in 2018.

I've just never heard anyone saying this until you did yesterday. There's nothing on the roadmap after Volta, seems odd there'd be this new thing straight out of the left field that comes out in the next 6 without even a name.

Miasma

1070 + 1440p GSync going strong here.

I have my eye on those insane GSync 4K + 144Hz + FALD HDR monitors coming out next year though. Quantum dot will do since I don't see anything about an OLED gaming monitor coming out anytime soon

Volta will be a nice fit for those.

I would love one of those monitors but they are supposed to be retailing at around 2 grand are they not?

I would love one of those monitors but they are supposed to be retailing at around 2 grand are they not?

I'm patient enough to wait for sales. I got my current 1440p Gsync at a fairly deep discount off of MSRP and I don't plan on upgrading within the next year or so.

Momentary

Banned
I'll make the jump as soon as Ice Lake hits the streets. Uncompromised 4K will be thing for the 1180Ti sans ludicrous graphical options like that one found in Gears of War. Hell it was almost there with the Titan X Pascal, 1080Ti, and Xp.

Top Bottom