• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass, and how a bad home menu icon drags down my enjoyment of a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

I absolutely despise that Snake Pass icon. I have no clue why they ruined the perfectly fine old one, makes no sense.

Please Sumo change it back.

I totally understand you, OP. In fact, I was thinking about buying the game on sale (today is the last day I think) and I am not doing it.

I hate this kind of thing. I can get that if it's a great game doesn't matter, but... It matters to me, at least.

Chorazin

Would you say the same about vinyl records album covers?

Given that many games (including snake pass?) are never released as a physical box and many of our 'collections' are nothing but an array of square icons, i do find a game's icon not all that unimportant. Especially on the Switch, a console with a very minimal UI.

I don't buy games to "collect" them, I buy them to play them. So it doesn't matter to me what the icon is, once I'm in the game the icon is gone. It could be a block of text that says SNAKE PASS and I'd be A-OK with it.

I also don't really care about album covers, just if the music is good. Once the music is playing the physical trappings it was delivered in is moot for me. (Although I'm digital only outside of very rare occasions.)

jstripes

Banned
Hey guys, I made one too!

ClH3qkq.jpg

bAbxH0E.png

Edit:

And another!

2PF5AyZ.jpg

7bbTWPr.jpg

That this icon would slide back to the left when you start this game has really stopped me from starting it yesterday.

At the moment many people want to see my Switch and I don't want a cheap "mobile game icon" on the start screen.

I feel the same way with my Switch home screen. It had a nice flow to it but now the Snake Pass icon is just glaringly out of place imo.
Better stay away from Planterra as well:
DC1_MxjU0AAeRVM.jpg

*found in a one of the tweets about Snake Pass*

On another note I played the Steam version of Planterra and there were no horses there.

At this point I wonder do Nintendo have Home Icon guidelines as it seems most games have gone for including game logo rather than the mobile app style.

lionpants

110% with you on this one OP. Icon looks like shit and as a result I probably wont buy the game until it's fixed.

I'm the guy who wont pin apps to my smart phone screen if they don't fit in.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Snake Pass is case study of how an innocuous change like this icon, that has absolutely no impact on the product itself, can still have a significant impact on the perceived user experience.

I'd be interested in seeing if there's any impact seen in the sales.

Personally, I also found the new icon egregious when I first saw it after the previous patch, I much prefer the old one (title motif helps to identify game at a glance, plus the new blue color scheme feels artificial compared to the old jungle background).

JoeLT

I wonder if Nintendo has any publishing rules about this? Microsoft does with Xbox, a number of games (Fallout 4, Advanced Warfare, Mirrors Edge Catalyst) all had icons completely different to the boxart with no logo when they released that were later changed in a patch to be the boxart or at least art with a logo.

Pretty sure Microsoft has rules on what art the icon can be and it HAS to have the games logo in the icon art. Seems the opposite has happened with Snake Pass though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well, given that we're posting on the gaming section of a video game forum, the term "first world problems" is the obviousness of the century. We're not talking about hunger in Africa here.

Yeah but even by GAF standards this is fickle on a phenomenal level. The guy owns the game and knows what it is and has played and enjoyed it in the past, why would a change in icon stop him from enjoying the base game?!

I mean, game icons are there to entice people who have no idea on games and this is their only exposure to the game. But GAF has reviews, it has player impressions, it has tons of threads about the game, it's one of the Switch's better games. And you're telling me a sizable contingency of its users not only won't touch the game because of a changed icon, but will refuse to play it anymore until it's fixed even though they own it and have played it and enjoyed it in the past? Or even DELETED the game in protest?!

ultrazilla

The game already ruined my enjoyment, sucks that the home menu is ugly now too.

Savage
You'll go far here Junior!

Perhaps this is the thread that starts the movement for game developers/publishers to provide different designs for home screen icons.
Or not

gaiages

Banned
I have passed on game before due to their artstyle and presentation, so I do understand your complaints, OP. That Planterra one looks even worse imo though... I'm not sure if it's the screen capture that did that or not but the icon looks like it has artifacts in it D:

The old icon was way better. I can't say it would affect my enjoyment of the actual game though, it just kinda ruins the aesthetic of the home menu.

Majora

I laughed when I saw the thread title but they have a point.

The problem is that all the other images are actual box art. They're the covers you would see on a retail shelf, so you have your digital library full of conventional looking box art and then you have something which is clearly not box art. You would never walk into a store and see a game with that on the cover, not least because it doesn't even display the title. It looks cheap and unfinished in comparison.

I think that's the crux of it. It's just jarring.

The new icon looks like it was designed for a much smaller screen, like the kind of icon you'd see for a mobile app. I concur that it looks ugly on the Switch home menu, OP.

Jessensor

I'm so with you here OP. I would never expect something as petty as this to affect me, but it really does. It looks terrible and next to other icons it stands out even more.

I've stopped playing to shift the icon right.

Speaking of icon changes, I plead for the developers of the Switch version of NBA Playgrounds to change the icon of the game when the first patch actually comes out to this:
hqdefault.jpg

Avari

Would you say the same about vinyl records album covers?

Given that many games (including snake pass?) are never released as a physical box and many of our 'collections' are nothing but an array of square icons, i do find a game's icon not all that unimportant. Especially on the Switch, a console with a very minimal UI.

I understand being disappointed, but having it impact my desire to play the game is baffling. If it were an album cover change I might hate the new cover, but it would never impact my desire to listen to the music.

I understand being disappointed, but having it impact my desire to play the game is baffling. If it were an album cover change I might hate the new cover, but it would never impact my desire to listen to the music.
Gamers can be fickle and petty as fuck.
And I say this thinking the old icon looked much better and more thought out.

I don't mind the look of the game itself so much; the unorthodox resolution just makes the vibrant colors and stylized art look more painterly.

Hahahaha

I mean this whole thread is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, but this takes the cake. What a character.

-MD-

The icons in my steam library are too small to even see so I just stopped playing games entirely.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can understand not liking the new icon, I definitely prefer the old one as well, but not wanting to play the game because of it makes no sense to me. I'm still seeing Spider-Man Homecoming despite the awful posters and will still play games that have shitty box art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom