• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok WTF all of a sudden my phone isn't working. the phone tab is just stuck on the keypad screen. The touchscreen works fine everywhere else but whenever i go back to phone its just frozen. Anyone had this happen before?

Juice

Ninja Scooter said:
ok WTF all of a sudden my phone isn't working. the phone tab is just stuck on the keypad screen. The touchscreen works fine everywhere else but whenever i go back to phone its just frozen. Anyone had this happen before?

No. If you can get to the home screen, you can try a reboot by holding down the sleep button.

I'd try this: while it's frozen, hold down the home button for five or six seconds and that should force quit the app. It'll be interesting to see if Phone can be force quit this way.

Juice said:
No. If you can get to the home screen, you can try a reboot by holding down the sleep button.

I'd try this: while it's frozen, hold down the home button for five or six seconds and that should force quit the app. It'll be interesting to see if Phone can be force quit this way.

damn, that worked. Good looking out.

maynerd

Banned
This would be awesome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/27/solar-powered-iphone-appl_n_103760.html

Apple has filed a patent for a technology which would enable a layer of solar cells to be inserted under a touch-sensitive screen of the sort used in the iPhone...

...There is usually little room for solar panels on portable devices, once space taken up by the screen and keypad is taken into account - a fact which has plagued previous attempts to power MP3 players and mobile phones via the sun.

Apple's patent would get round the problem by stacking the solar cells underneath both the touch-sensitive screen and the LCD, according to The New York Times. That would potentially allow the full 2.4 by 4.5 inch glass face of the iPhone to operate as a solar panel.

I cry on a daily basis that my iPhone is only a lowly 8GB Model, soon to be completely obsolete by the rumored 3G Version. And they already have a 16GB model.

The Apps Store will help soothe the burn though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Almost forgot about this thread. What happened to all the rumors that an iPhone refresh would occur before the WWDC because
1)the apple store was out of stock of iPhones
2)WWDC would see the unveiling of an Apple Tablet

It's less than 2 weeks left and still no credible leaks

If an Apple Tablet is released and it's as sensitive as WACOM tablets, I will buy one the first generation most likely.

What would they call it? Would it be a part of the MacBook line? MacBook Mobile? iTablet? MacBook iTablet?

Futureman

Apple Tablet is rumored now for a fall release.

iPhone 2 will most likely debut at WWDC, not earlier. Steve will get all the WWDC stuff outta the way, then close with iPhone software development/iPhone 2.0 software/3G iPhone announcement. Available end of the month.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Real or fake you decide.
191746-1a.jpg

191819-3a.jpg

192009-2ab.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/27/more-white-3g-iphone-photos/

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
CommanderQueen said:
I cry on a daily basis that my iPhone is only a lowly 8GB Model, soon to be completely obsolete by the rumored 3G Version. And they already have a 16GB model.

The Apps Store will help soothe the burn though.

WTF I have a 4 Gig dude. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Sounds like you probably won't have to wait much longer. Most rumors have the 3G iPhone launching at WWDC, probably even in stores that day, which begins on June 9th I believe.

Tr4nce

I want the iPhone so bad. It looks tremendously slick and the UI looks awesome. The problem is that it is not officially up for sale here in Holland. It's possible to import, but I rather wait until it comes here officially.

Klotera

Ok - I tried to search for this (both this thread and google) and didn't find it - so hopefully I'm not repeating anything.

Anyone have issues where the mic button on the headphones randomly stops working? Seems like it may be something to do with a combination of switching between using screen controls and the mic button and locking/unlocking. Could be totally off on that - just seems that way. It just becomes unresponsive and I have to go back to using the screen controls to pause or skip.

It must be a software issue, not hardware, though - because if I restart the phone it works fine again.

Once I just thought it was a fluke - but it happened again today, so I'm guessing there is some kind of bug.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's been a week since I ordered the $250 8GB from AT&T but they're backordered and tell me it'll ship as soon as possible. Arg!

dagZ

dallow_bg said:
It's been a week since I ordered the $250 8GB from AT&T but they're backordered and tell me it'll ship as soon as possible. Arg!

you know there announcing the 3G iphone next week?

dagZ

dallow_bg said:
Yeah, but it was $250.
I can(and probably will) sell it for more than I paid for to get that.

do you think we'll be able to buy more than 1? I was hoping to try and sell it on ebay, but I dont know if they will be sold out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dagZ said:
do you think we'll be able to buy more than 1? I was hoping to try and sell it on ebay, but I dont know if they will be sold out.
I don't think you can, but I can have someone buy me the new version of it and I give them the money.

In the meantime, I'll take good care of this phone so it should be close to mint when I put it on Craiglist.

ACTUALLY, maybe it won't count if I buy the 3G one.
It's different enough, so I can probably use my own info.

dagZ

dallow_bg said:
I don't think you can, but I can have someone buy me the new version of it and I give them the money.

In the meantime, I'll take good care of this phone so it should be close to mint when I put it on Craiglist.

ACTUALLY, maybe it won't count if I buy the 3G one.
It's different enough, so I can probably use my own info.

you think they'll go for way more than the actual price on ebay?

dagZ said:
you know there announcing the 3G iphone next week?

Rumored to be announced on the 9th. Key word is rumored. Probably will happen, and all signs point to it happening, but you never know.

I saw a commercial for the new Sprint touchscreen iPhone, forget which one, that comes out on the 20th of June the other night. They were touting how it was faster for Internet than the iPhone. When I saw that it wasn't out until June 20th though I got a chuckle thinking that that bullet point could be removed from their marketing very soon. Especially since AT&T is rated as the highest speed 3G network.

I have a question for you guys. Is it possible to transfer songs from my PC directly to my phone(Like my WMP library) or do i have to buy all my songs all over again from Itunes?

infiniteloop said:
You can just import them into iTunes and sync your iPhone .. if that's what you're asking.

I think what you're saying is i can download Itunes, import my WMP song library into it and then move it over to the Iphone. Thanks.

Cereal

You can, as long as they aren't DRM protected. If they're .wma or whatever DRM-free WMP codec, iTunes is going to want to convert them to AAC. That could take a little extra time, depending on your library size. MP3's will move over just fine.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Alright so slight question.

I'm in NYC, and T-Mobile has their 3G rolled out here.

I am waiting for 3G iPhone.

Will it fucking work?

I hear different things and I'm so confused. I'm not a phone tech head at all. :(

SnakeXs said:

Will it fucking work?

I hear different things and I'm so confused. I'm not a phone tech head at all. :(

No way to know until somebody tries.

SnakeXs

StrikerObi said:
No way to know until somebody tries.

Kk. Some people were assuming based on what bandwidth AT&T branded phones run on, and what stuff AT&T shares, but yeah I guess.

Here's to me hoping, and being a guinea pig. :lol

Yamaha98

SnakeXs said:

Will it fucking work?

I believe T-Mobile will use their 1700mhz band for their 3G technology. AT&T (i.e) phones run on different frequency bands (850/900/1800/1900).

Phoenix

Yamaha98 said:
I believe T-Mobile will use their 1700mhz band for their 3G technology. AT&T (i.e) phones run on different frequency bands (850/900/1800/1900).

1700/2100 for TMobile, but yep - different frequency bands from AT&T which should just piss off everyone :)

SnakeXs

Phoenix said:
1700/2100 for TMobile, but yep - different frequency bands from AT&T which should just piss off everyone :)

So, odds of things working just fine, slim to none?

Assuming the iPhone is only AT&T band, that is.

Juice

SnakeXs said:

Will it fucking work?

You're asking whether or not AT&T's 3G service will work in New York Fracking City?

If their HSUPA service is going to be in 300 cities by the end of June, I'm pretty sure NYC is going to be on the list.

Edit: Oh, you're implying you're going to be able to use a 3G iPhone on T-Mo in America? Only if the terms of the 5 year exclusivity deal are actually over; I doubt it'll be as easy to unlock if Apple is still keen on protecting lock-in

MickD

From MacRumors
MacRumors has heard some unconfirmed whispers about the 3G capable iPhone due at next week's WWDC. Besides 3G support, the following features/specs were also passed along, mostly consistent with circulating rumors:

- Lighter weight
- Black + other colors
- Focus on Multimedia with Video recording
- Video Conferencing
- GPS
- 16GB $499
- 32GB $699

As with all pre-release specs, confirmation can be difficult and intentional misinformation may be common, so we provide it for interest alone. If released exactly as described, this would eliminate the $399 8GB iPhone, keep the $499 16GB and add a $699 32GB model. This, however, does not necessarily preclude the possibility of a low end iPhone suggested by Kevin Rose in an rumor earlier today.

WWDC kicks off on June 9th with a keynote address by Steve Jobs.

$700 is a kick to the groin if you ask me

Man I really hope the 3G modell is out on the 10th june in stores so I can buy one!

I really need a new 3G phone with better and easier surfing capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom