• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

BooJoh

4fFlFS4.png

Title: Pokémon Shuffle
Platform: 3DS Family (eShop exclusive)
Genre: Match-3 Puzzle
Developer: Genius Sonority
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: Feb 18th, 2015 (worldwide)
Price: Free with IAP (in-app purchases)
StreetPass: Yes (exchange records and get occasional bonus rewards)
Official Website: http://www.pokemonshuffle.com/

Isn't this just a F2P version of Pokémon Battle Trozei/Link Battle?

No. While the games share similar mechanics, they play very differently most of the time. Pokémon Shuffle is much more strategical and slow-paced (except for the EX stages, which do play closer to Trozei.)

How bad is the paywall?

It varies. The game uses the dreaded stamina bar model, and your Hearts, which you must spend to start a level, only auto-fill up to 5. It takes 30 minutes to generate 1 heart, so from 0 to 5 hearts takes 2.5 hours. In general, you should be able to play the game for around 20 minutes every 2.5 hours or so without spending a penny. Some of the EX stages seem to really skew toward impossible without using items, but if you play smart you can still get items without paying.

78iUDfz.jpg
4FOo30d.jpg
bnUq0Xj.jpg
0cu4rHT.jpg

Gameplay Basics:

Pokémon Shuffle is a Match-3 style puzzle game in which your goal is to create matches and combos of 3 or more Pokémon in order to reduce an opposing Pokémon's HP to 0 in a limited number of moves.

Gotta Catch 'Em All:

Upon successfully completing a stage, you will have a chance to catch the Pokémon you were fighting. Each Pokémon has a base catch chance, which is then increased by the number of remaining moves you had. At launch there are currently 159 Pokémon in the game.

Teams, Types, and Abilities:

Before starting each stage, you can form a team of four of your captured Pokémon, which will serve as the primary tiles in the puzzle game. Each Pokémon has a type, and using the correct types against your opponent will give you an advantage. Each Pokémon also has an ability, which is a special effect that Pokémon can trigger. These range from dealing extra damage in combos to occasionally dealing extra damage, dealing more damage in a 4-match, and more.

Power and Levels:

Each Pokémon also has a base Attack Power, which varies, with earlier Pokémon typically having lower values. As you use Pokémon on your team, they will gain experience, level up, and increase their Attack Power.

Mega Evolution:

Certain Pokémon are capable of Mega Evolving. Once you've captured that Pokémon and acquired the corresponding Mega Evolution Stone, setting it as your team leader will add a meter to the side of the screen, which fills up as you match that Pokémon. When the meter is full, your Pokémon will Mega Evolve, dealing extra damage and adding an additional ability to help clear stages faster.

Jewels, Coins, and Items:

The game uses a dual-currency system. Coins are an in-game currency used to buy items that make stages easier. Jewels are a second in-game currency that can be spent to buy Coins or Hearts. You can have up to 150 Jewels at a time, any extra earned while you have 150 will be lost.

You can (but shouldn't) buy Jewels with real money at the following price points (really, don't):
1 Jewel - 100¥/$0.99/£0.89/€0.99
6 Jewels - 500¥/$4.99/£4.49/€4.99
12 Jewels - 950¥/$8.99/£8.09/€8.99
35 Jewels - 2500¥/$24.99/£22.49/€24.99
75 Jewels - 4800¥/$47.99/£42.99/€47.99

There is a monthly spending limit of 10,000¥/$100/£80/€100, with some countries only imposing this limit if you're under 18 years of age.

You can buy the following items with varying amounts of Coins:
Attack Power Up
Complexity -1
Disruption Delay
Exp. Points x1.5
Mega Start
Moves +5

You can also spend Coins after a failed capture to buy a Great Ball for a second chance at an increased capture-rate.

Events and Checking In:

Pokémon Shuffle has a Check In feature, which you can use once a day to connect to the internet, get a bonus reward, and check for active events. Events will be held periodically and allow you to face off against Pokémon that aren't otherwise capturable in the game, or play special modes to earn extra Coins, etc.

You can find the latest active events on the website at http://www.pokemonshuffle.com/en-us/connectivity/

Currently Known Events as of Mar 9, 2015:

Celebrate Launch with Mew! - February 18, 2015 - 05:59 UTC March 9, 2015 - Extended to 06:00 UTC 3/23/2015
To commemorate the release of Pokémon Shuffle, a special stage featuring the Mythical Pokémon Mew will be available from February 18, 2015, until 05:59 UTC, March 9, 2015. This special stage offers the only way to get Mew on your team in Pokémon Shuffle! The "Celebrate Launch with Mew!" stage will appear between February 18, 2015, and 05:59 UTC March 9, 2015!

Meowth's Coin Mania - February 21 - March 16, Weekends
Play the Meowth's Coin Mania daily challenge stage from 6:00 AM UTC on Saturdays to 5:59 AM UTC on Mondays, from February 21 until March 16, 2015. In Meowth's Coin Mania stage, you can earn a great deal of Coins! There are Coins mixed in among the Pokémon on the lower screen, and you can obtain Coins for yourself by clearing them. You can challenge this stage just once per 24-hour period.

A Rotom a Day! - February 23 - March 21, Weekdays
Challenge Rotom in the Daily Pokémon (#1) daily challenge, available between 06:00 UTC on Mondays and 05:59 UTC on Saturdays, from February 23 until March 21, 2015. In this stage, Frost Rotom, Heat Rotom, Wash Rotom, Mow Rotom, and Fan Rotom each appear on different days. If you are victorious in your battles against them, you will have a chance to catch these Pokémon. There is no limit to how many times you can attempt this stage.

-Monday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Frost Rotom
-Tuesday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Heat Rotom
-Wednesday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Wash Rotom
-Thursday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Mow Rotom
-Friday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Fan Rotom

Kyogre Makes a Splash - 06:00 UTC 3/9/2015 - 06:00 UTC 3/23/2015
This is your chance to take on the Legendary Pokémon Kyogre. This powerful foe can only be encountered in this stage. Don't let this one pass you by!
You will be rewarded with a Jewel the first time you clear this stage!

Finally, resident GAFfer JoeM86 has been dedicating his time and money to compiling all the in-depth info he can on the game, so if you want to see which Pokémon are in the game along with a wealth of other info, you can check that out on his website.

ZeroX03

Banned
This game is fun. It should have cost $10 with infinite hearts and left it at that instead of using micro transactions. The cooldown doesn't make me want to spend money, it just makes it more likely I'll forget about the game when I can't play it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

BooJoh

This game is fun. It should have cost $10 with infinite hearts and left it at that instead of using micro transactions. The cooldown doesn't make me want to spend money, it just makes it more likely I'll forget about the game when I can't play it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Agreed. If they'd charged $10 and put out a free demo to show how it's different from Trozei I'd have snatched it up right away. I see myself checking in on this to play daily for a while, but I don't intend to spend a penny on it, and I really hope this doesn't do well enough for the stamina bar model to worm its way into more Nintendo software.

JoeM86

I agree. They could have done a one-off payment for infinite hearts and kept the coin microtransactions. I'd have been happy with that

Loptous

For those who were bothered by the hint boxes, turns out you can mask them as long as you keep the stylus on a tile.
It's far from great, but at least you don't get distracted by them.

Reminds me of a better Pokemon Trozei.
Part of me wishes they would've gone the Trozei route and made it a single purchase, but I guess this'll make them more in the long run...

This game is pretty good, it's a good game to pass the time. Not planning on spending any money, though.

Shuffle really needs an Infinite Heart transaction.

Neol

A part of me says this game should've just been a mobile game but it is Nintendo.

I'll try it out. Doubt I'll be playing this as much as I would with other f2p mobile games.

Meowth's Coin Mania
Play the Meowth's Coin Mania daily challenge stage from 6:00 AM UTC on Saturdays to 5:59 AM UTC on Mondays, from February 21 until March 16, 2015. In Meowth's Coin Mania stage, you can earn a great deal of Coins! There are Coins mixed in among the Pokémon on the lower screen, and you can obtain Coins for yourself by clearing them. You can challenge this stage just once per 24-hour period.

A Rotom a Day!
Challenge Rotom in the Daily Pokémon (#1) daily challenge, available between 06:00 UTC on Mondays and 05:59 UTC on Saturdays, from February 23 until March 21, 2015. In this stage, Frost Rotom, Heat Rotom, Wash Rotom, Mow Rotom, and Fan Rotom each appear on different days. If you are victorious in your battles against them, you will have a chance to catch these Pokémon. There is no limit to how many times you can attempt this stage.

I checked in yesterday and today, but I only received 500 coins for each check-in - there is no events other than that Mew one for me. Are they US only?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am an idiot! But I would recommend you to somehow emphasize dates and times of the events... by bold font, maybe?

JoeM86

Crossposting a conclusion I came to in regards to the fact many Mega Evolveable Pokémon lack Mega Stones

I have not found stages for many Mega Stones. I think they'll come through distributions later.

I have the Pokémon but no Mega Stones for:

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Pidgeot
Absol
Heracross
Lucario
Sceptile
Blaziken
Swampert
Scizor
Aerodactyl

Now, I've given it some thought...

In the game right now, there are ~158 Pokémon and 10 Mega Evolutions available. There is a total of 48 Mega Evolutions and 2 Primal Reversions.

Now, they can easily release 4 further content packs with ~150 Pokémon (including forms) a piece in them, each with 10 Mega Stones at the end of each world. That'd take us up to all 719 Pokémon in the game.

The end of the final stage against Mewtwo implies it will continue on through the stages with new aesthetics
00056.png

So yeah, I'd say there's a good chance of this.

BooJoh

I checked in yesterday and today, but I only received 500 coins for each check-in - there is no events other than that Mew one for me. Are they US only?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am an idiot! But I would recommend you to somehow emphasize dates and times of the events... by bold font, maybe?

Good call, added dates to the titles.

I have not found stages for many Mega Stones. I think they'll come through distributions later.

I have the Pokémon but no Mega Stones for:

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Pidgeot
Absol
Heracross
Lucario
Sceptile
Blaziken
Swampert
Scizor
Aerodactyl

Now, I've given it some thought...

In the game right now, there are ~158 Pokémon and 10 Mega Evolutions available. There is a total of 48 Mega Evolutions and 2 Primal Reversions.

Now, they can easily release 4 further content packs with ~150 Pokémon (including forms) a piece in them, each with 10 Mega Stones at the end of each world. That'd take us up to all 719 Pokémon in the game.

The end of the final stage against Mewtwo implies it will continue on through the stages with new aesthetics
00056.png

So yeah, I'd say there's a good chance of this.

Good theory, and if that's the design for the upcoming stage and not a placeholder then hopefully we can expect some mechanicals like Klink, Magnemite, and Porygon in the next area.

Marche90

It's a fun little game, this one! Playing in short bursts really do wonders for the enjoyment of the game. Surprisingly, it was also the title that prompted me to take out my 3ds out of retirement (I know there are a lot of good games out now. I'm just penniless at the moment)

Word of advice: save your gems! only use them when you have a lot, in order to get a good number of hearts.

Kouriozan

I also like this gamee, I hope thye increase the max hearts someday.
Trying to play every ~3 hours at the moment until I reach the last normal stages (I'm at 54 currently) then it'll be like 2 times per day.
I'm doing a "keeping all jewels" run, also trying to keep my gold as well.

I like the leveling and collecting part, well, it's Pokémon, alright.

Rarutos

Nice OT! I've been playing this and have been catching all the Pokémon I can as I go through! So far I have all the ones except the EX stages since those are still too hard for me, lol.

Going by other f2p game standards, the game will probably be periodically updated with new stages and Pokémon as well as have special events occasionally to keep people going back.

BooJoh

I asked in another thread but why isn't this game 3D? It has no 3D at all.

I don't think Trozei has 3D either. Maybe they just don't feel it's necessary for a game with most gameplay on the bottom screen. It might also have something to do with it being targeted at younger audiences and Nintendo's whole "3D is bad for kids" thing.

Or they were just lazy.

Qurupeke

Nice to see an op for this. So, the game is reaally nice. Way better than Link Battle imho. But the pay 2 play stuff is unbearable. I just went to EX and Absol had 1% catchability. How are you supposed to catch stuff like that?

Also, still trying to catch Mew. I guess I should train Purrloin more.

Loptous

Nice to see an op for this. So, the game is reaally nice. Way better than Link Battle imho. But the pay 2 play stuff is unbearable. I just went to EX and Absol had 1% catchability. How are you supposed to catch stuff like that?

Gotta go fast. And catch more effective mons / level them up more.
I tried Absol this morning and I think its catchability shot up to +40% with 27 seconds left.
Didn't manage to catch it though.

BooJoh

I tried Absol this morning and I think its catchability shot up to +40% with 27 seconds left.

When I caught Absol I only had like 20% catchability I think. I guess they just want to make the hard ones rely on RNG and trying again and again.

Qurupeke

I had like 2 seconds left. lol Too bad I haven't caught Togepi yet and I don't have any Pokemon Absol is weak too.

I had like 2 seconds left. lol Too bad I haven't caught Togepi yet and I don't have any Pokemon Absol is weak too.

I catched Absol with Lv.4 Audino with Mega Evolution, Lv.3 Volbeat, Lv.2 Illumise and Lv.2 Swirlix. The latter three are all super-effective against Absol, and Volbeat was really powerful (maybe because of Crowd Control ability).

You can catch them at Stage 28, Stage 29 and Stage 27 respectively. They are pretty easy to catch, at least not as insane as Treecko.

Qurupeke

Giving this a go since it's free. I have Trozei and kinda regretted that.

I don't like Trozei that much but this is really good compared to it. Maybe it's the f2p bias though...
I catched Absol with Lv.4 Audino with Mega Evolution, Lv.3 Volbeat, Lv.2 Illumise and Lv.2 Swirlix. The latter three are all super-effective against Absol, and Volbeat was really powerful (maybe because of Crowd Control ability).

You can catch them at Stage 28, Stage 29 and Stage 27 respectively. They are pretty easy to catch, at least not as insane as Treecko.

Oh nice to know. I think I'll be able to reach them today.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This game made me realize how badly now I want Puzzle and Dragons Super Mario Edition.

lankelink

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying this game. Is Pokemon Trozei similar? I wouldn't mind to pay for a similar game if it has no stamina system. Although I heard that pokemon in trozei do not have levels, I'm not sure if I like that. Also, is it feasible to catch them all?

JoeM86

I'm really enjoying this game. Is Pokemon Trozei similar? I wouldn't mind to pay for a similar game if it has no stamina system. Although I heard that pokemon in trozei do not have levels, I'm not sure if I like that. Also, is it feasible to catch them all?

Pokémon Battle Trozei is similar, but radically different. What you need in that is fast reflexes. You start a huge combo by matching 4, then you need to match 3 to keep it going to the point you only need 2 to match. You can continually move Pokémon rather than wait for the chain to end too

Spades

Cool OT.

Cross-post from the EU thread: I'm really enjoying the game! I only tend to play on my N3DS for 20-30 minutes at a time, so I guess it's perfect for me.

Kouriozan

Oops, I was at level 59, not 49.
Just beat Lopunny but lost once, didn't manage to get Hawlucha though, that's why.
Now sitting at 6 jewels, should I get 38 hearts (or something)?...Hmm, nah, I better save them in case an event Pokémon is super hard to get.

I think the enjoyment I get from this game would be greatly diminished if I could play indefinitely. 30 minute refills on the hearts are a little overkill though.

The leveling if pokemon and pokemon types add a different slant to the match 3 gameplay I haven't seen before.

gerudoman

Oops, I was at level 59, not 49.
Just beat Lopunny but lost once, didn't manage to get Hawlucha though, that's why.
Now sitting at 6 jewels, should I get 38 hearts (or something)?...Hmm, nah, I better save them in case an event Pokémon is super hard to get.

I'm having a hard time trying to beat Lopunny, I'm now trying to get Hawlucha but I can't even beat him again lol. Spending hearts in levels you've already beaten is so frustrating...

That's the first three worlds S-ranked and all captured now, looking forward to playing later I'm pretty hooked.

This game made me realize how badly now I want Puzzle and Dragons Super Mario Edition.

Definitely! I'll probably get it digitally too, it's been nice to just quickly hop into this in-between games.

Bulbasaur

Banned
They should put this on smart phones instead and please the investors. I personally don't think the 3DS is the right environment for f2p.

JoeM86

They should put this on smart phones instead and please the investors. I personally don't think the 3DS is the right environment for f2p.

That's a slippery slope, putting a proper game onto smartphones. It'd be more damaging than you can imagine.

zroid

Banned
as a pick up and play game this is good so far. I haven't dabbled in f2p puzzle games before, but the Pokémon theme definitely appeals to me. haven't been tempted to spend any money yet.

RiggyRob

This might have been mentioned before, but you should spend jewels on coins instead of hearts, since it takes hearts to try a stage and they constantly regenerate but you only get coins by completing a stage and checking in.

By the way, how many jewels do you get just by playing through the game?

Top Bottom