• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

zonq

Jesus 3-4 is wrecking me. Does anyone have some tips or YT video that would enlighten me? Can you always get a full clear? Do you need to set it up sometimes or is the first puyo always enough?

Jazzem

If it's any consolation, when the clocks are forward in the UK the eshop updates at 3pm, so it could've been a longer wait depending on the date :p

Jesus 3-4 is wrecking me. Does anyone have some tips or YT video that would enlighten me? Can you always get a full clear? Do you need to set it up sometimes or is the first puyo always enough?

I'd recommend trying to get the stairs combo down for Puyo, which is illustrated in depth here.

As the guide states, it's a good combo to learn starting out as its execution difficulty is reasonable, it was enough to get me through the Adventure mode. If you want to see how to set it up in motion, the expert lesson for Puyo in game shows you.

Who else goes into full panic mode like me whenever half your screen is taken up?

I always feel like I'm drowning at that point and it is only a matter of time before I lose. This happens more often on Tetris since Puyo you can get lucky sometimes and get multiple matches you didn't plan on.

Cepheus

UK gaffer here. I had this game preordered from thegamecollection, but it hasn't been shipped yet... I'm going to pick up Mario Kart tomorrow in Game and if I see Puyo I might buy it and cancel the online preorder. However, thegamecollection handles preorders weirdly and has already taken my money and apparently you can't cancel the preorder. What do I do?

Kinsei

Banned
The story mode is really fun.

Getting 3 stars on 1-10 was a huge pain. The match was so easy that I had to try and prolong it to get the required score.

Who else goes into full panic mode like me whenever half your screen is taken up?

I always feel like I'm drowning at that point and it is only a matter of time before I lose. This happens more often on Tetris since Puyo you can get lucky sometimes and get multiple matches you didn't plan on.

I do. The second things start going wrong I start freaking.

zonq

Thanks, I'll check this out!

As the guide states, it's a good combo to learn starting out as its execution difficulty is reasonable, it was enough to get me through the Adventure mode. If you want to see how to set it up in motion, the expert lesson for Puyo in game shows you.

Oh, I didn't even check any lessons or tutorials... I just hopped straight into the adventure mode and haven't stopped since.

zigg

I'd recommend trying to get the stairs combo down for Puyo, which is illustrated in depth here.

I've been trying to master this for several days now and my combo game is only 2-3x on average with 4x making me feel like some sort of savant.

My brain doesn't seem to be wired to work out what I need to do when the dropping Puyos aren't the colors I need.

I've been trying to master this for several days now and my combo game is only 2-3x on average with 4x making me feel like some sort of savant.

My brain doesn't seem to be wired to work out what I need to do when the dropping Puyos aren't the colors I need.

Don't be afraid to build the stair stacks out of order, or really jagged and bulky. Making your chains nice and organized is something that comes with practice. For example this is a perfectly workable 5 chain
chainimage.php

ryanofcall

Wanted to get it at midnight or this morning on the eShop because I could play it on my way to work. Not sure wether I should get it now since I'll play Mario Kart 8 (will that be 2pm tomorrow as well?!) from tomorrow on ... and could just wait for a sale or something. Decisions decisions

zigg

Don't be afraid to build the stair stacks out of order, or really jagged and bulky. Making your chains nice and organized is something that comes with practice. For example this is a perfectly workable 5 chain
chainimage.php
Heh, it's hard to see it for me at first.

Is there a way to practice chaining in a no-pressure environment? Nothing dropping until I'm ready for it? I don't think PPT has it, but something online?

BiggNife

I can't for the life of me get anything more than one star on 2-3

I'm finally getting the hang of doing 3 chains but even those only seem to get me ~1000 points and enough junk blocks to KO Jay and Elle after 3 or 4 of those. I need to get 8000 points and I can never get more than 6000.

Do I just need to get incredibly lucky with patterns to be able to get a full clear or is there an easier way I'm just missing?

Cepheus

Playing through the demo, I've learned that if you have a Tetris-only battle against 3 CPUs, and you're the first to die, the match lasts forever. One match I played yesterday continued for ten minutes after I died with just two CPUs going back and forth. Having at least one person use Puyo mode makes matches go by a lot faster.

Matesamo

Played online for the first time and got destroyed with a capital D. Lost five games and they were not even close, I was building a solid base and got hit by Tetris after Tetris. I finally won my first match to tie up 1-1 and was laying the final pieces for my first win when there was a connection error and my win went bye-bye.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Realized playing 4p online vs tends to crater your unranked w/l ratio haha. Switched to unranked 1v1 and just kept getting people who would dc when close to a loss. On unranked too? Really? Missing basic rudamentary dc penalties sort of kills the online aspect for me.

Cepheus

Realized playing 4p online vs tends to crater your unranked w/l ratio haha. Switched to unranked 1v1 and just kept getting people who would dc when close to a loss. On unranked too? Really? Missing basic rudamentary dc penalties sort of kills the online aspect for me.

Wow, I legitimately didn't think that ragequitting would be prevalent in this game.

Also, I went to Game today and they told me that they're getting physical shipments tomorrow. So I'm going to attempt to cancel my thegamecollection preorder somehow. It still hasn't been shipped yet, unfortunately, yet I could buy it off of the eShop today if I wanted to.

Is there no version of Satan's theme/the DRMBM versus music in this game? I went through the first 15 or so seconds of all the BGMs and didn't hear it.

Berordn

It's really stupid, but at least ranked properly penalizes DCers.

Pastry

Banned
I'm starting to get better at a Puyo Puyo, I can regularly get three chains now but that fourth chain 😭 I have a hard time building it and not accidently covering my trigger up. I'm just so much better at Tetris though so that's what I spend most of my time on multiplayer playing

SummitAve

Banned
Been playing a few matches online using Puyo since my Tetris game is limited and weak, and I was getting crushed against puyo players. I was able to get a few wins just making x2 combos with the rate x3 and x4 when things build up a bit more. A stream of those seems to capable of messing up clearly more experienced players than myself though I haven't played against anyone doing crazy T spins yet.

BizzyBum

Holy crap do I suck at puzzle games. Can't even get 3 stars on the beginning story mode levels. LOL

Then I see people online rain down Puyo's and set up 7-8 chains in a matter of seconds like a robot is playing...

Dingles

Looks like no UK stock this week maybe.

TheGameCollection:

Hi there.

We're emailing you in regards to your pre-order for 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' on the Nintendo Switch. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience but we've just been told that due to UK wide stock shortages from the official supplier, we will not be getting our pre-order allocation for the game today ahead of release day tomorrow. We have not had any stock of the game on Switch delivered to us at all.

We've been told to expect an update around midday tomorrow with regards to how much stock we're able to get and when we'll be able to receive it at our warehouse. If you would like to keep your order then we'll be more than happy to update you when we know more.

mephesta

Maybe this has been answered before, but what is Suketoudara saying when you finish off multiple lines? My wife and I swear he says, "seven meats," but that makes no sense.

I am really hoping that is actually what he says and there is some ridiculous reason for it.

Heh, it's hard to see it for me at first.

Is there a way to practice chaining in a no-pressure environment? Nothing dropping until I'm ready for it? I don't think PPT has it, but something online?
You might want to try out the Endless Fever mode, it's basically a solo version of Big Bang, which under Puyo gives you pregenerated boards to solve. All of them have exactly one set of trigger Puyo that cascades the entire board, and the game lets you know if you succeeded or not (and rewards you with bigger or smaller boards henceforth). Try to play "spot the trigger" with them, then when you feel brave you can actually extend the prebuilt chains and make them even longer.

MikeBison

Holy shit I'm so out of the loop on Tetris I never knew what T-spins were. Can't do them for the life of me and by trying to set them up I screw my whole game up. Feel I do better playing 'traditionally' and going for Tetris' and clearing the junk lines when they come my way.

Will I get totally blown up online if I'm not T-spinning?

Holy shit I'm so out of the loop on Tetris I never knew what T-spins were. Can't do them for the life of me and by trying to set them up I screw my whole game up. Feel I do better playing 'traditionally' and going for Tetris' and clearing the junk lines when they come my way.

So much this. T-spins are hard as fuck and when you fuck them up, which is every time you attempt one, it tends to fuck you over in a major way.

Nah I can't T-spin either and I won 5/5 so far.

Jazzem

Should I be saving my points to buy characters or do they just get unlocked without you needing to buy them?

You don't buy any of the characters, you'll simply unlock more by progressing through Adventure mode. The only thing you can buy in relation to them is alternative voice packs, though a lot of those are also unlocked via the story.

Peltz

This game is so great. It's a really great package of different modes and has an awesome presentation. I love that they don't force you to play the newer stuff and you can just play an old school game of tetris or puyo with a friend if you want. And the mash-up modes work so well.

I'm surprised I like it this much considering I've played a lot of puyo and tetris before and this is just one more new entry in each.

Fireblend

Banned
T-Spins aren't that hard to set up. Just align your pieces so that you have the "steps" into which a T piece will fit like this:

Code:
X   X
XX XX

...and then block one of the corners with pretty much any piece. Then you just drop the T on its side and rotate. To set them up further just keep on the lookout for stuff you can turn into that "steps" shape and repeat.

I'm way better at Puyo now, can reliably do 5-6 chains with the sandwich pattern :D pretty happy that my training is paying off, I spent a substantial amount of time practicing with the demo and it absolutely worked.

T-Spins aren't that hard to set up. Just align your pieces so that you have the "steps" into which a T piece will fit like this:

Code:
X   X
XX XX

...and then block one of the corners with pretty much any piece. Then you just drop the T on its side and rotate. To set them up further just keep on the lookout for stuff you can turn into that "steps" shape and repeat.

I'm way better at Puyo now, can reliably do 5-6 chains with the sandwich pattern :D pretty happy that my training is paying off, I spent a substantial amount of time practicing with the demo and it absolutely worked.

That's helpful. Thanks.

Also is it better to target combo or tetrises. A single tetris is equal to a combo of how many?

Kinsei

Banned
You don't buy any of the characters, you'll simply unlock more by progressing through Adventure mode. The only thing you can buy in relation to them is alternative voice packs, though a lot of those are also unlocked via the story.

Ah that's good. Some games have you unlock the ability to buy characters instead of giving them to you outright so I wasn't spending any of my points.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

gaiages

Banned
Maybe this has been answered before, but what is Suketoudara saying when you finish off multiple lines? My wife and I swear he says, "seven meats," but that makes no sense.

I am really hoping that is actually what he says and there is some ridiculous reason for it.

Southern beats.

I think.

Maybe.

>·>

-shadow-

Anyone got tips for getting three stars on 2-3? By the time I've made a decent combo I'm around 7000 point but the little kids end up dying and playing it piece by piece would take hours...

Top Bottom