• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox On Interview with Phil Spencer [18:51]

MilkyJoe

He talks for 3 years "Its all about the games" and yet where are they?

Not only the big change didnt come when he became Boss in 2014 but the games lineup even decreased with many cancelations.

How long do games take to make?

giphy.gif

oldergamer

E3 launch Scorpio, im ready! Got 1k back on my taxes :)

A big clue is the fact the hardware is done. That means its already in manufacturing. Phil having a final unit for a month is pretty great info. I bet ms gives away free units at xfest and e3 and demonstrate a bunch of titles with improved visuals that are available at the same time.

Ms already knows the price of xbox scorpio, but just won't tell yet.
He also said get ready for launch in fall and not holiday, so maybe a (limited) September release is possible.

September release ahead of November would be huge for scorpio IMHO. Get the console out for destiny 2 and rdr2 + forza 7

So much tease

Rymuth

By the time The Coalition was formed Shangheist didn't even gave a game director. There was a job opening for it. This myth that Shangheist is somehow a canceled, working game needs to die. The idea is put on ice.
It was code-named Ranger, according to Jason's sources. Shangheist was one of its levels.

And they were a lot further along with it than Phil would have you believe.

Crump said:
"We were hugely invested in what we were working on. You don’t spend a year and a half working on a game without getting attached to it. There was a lot of discussion."
"I’d be lying if I said there weren’t some people on the team who were disappointed when they found out the thing they’d been working on for so long was going to be shelved,"

vs
"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

"The studio has really been incubating different ideas over the past six to nine months on what they might work on," he said, "but the discussion with Epic obviously didn't start yesterday. We've been in this discussion for a while. The leadership team there has known for a while."

oldergamer

Not only the big change didnt come when he became Boss in 2014 but the games lineup even decreased with many cancelations.

It was pretty obvious to see they were holding back some titles for the launch of scorpio. Certain this will be confirmed at e3. If its not, then shame on them. So bitch about where the games are once we see if they have anything in the pipe. Im hoping we see more games announced then the launch of xbone.

cackhyena

Fall release is needed. Gotta get it out ahead of third party, big titles. Releasing at the same time or after is just stupid.

Jumeira

Banned
It was code-named Ranger, according to Jason's sources. Shangheist was one of its levels.

And they were a lot further along with it than Phil would have you believe.

vs

Not sure why this is relevant or used as a chip against Phil. Internal demo's, POCs or ideas are worked on and scraped all the time, this seems to be one of them. I assume because CBoat liked it people here are exaggerating its existence. Its a not really a game that was announced so im baffled why people here treat it as such.

Even longer if you cancel your new IP and turn your studio into a Gears of War slavery studio what happened for example with Black Tusk Studios into The Coalition.

Many Studios getting closed and games canceled. Think about the guy what you want but this shit didnt happen so much under Don Mattrick.

True. I don't think Mattrick understood what gamers are looking for, but I think he is a great businessman and knows how to get shit done. Phil is like the opposite; if he could,,he'd have all the games, but I don't trust his abilities.

It's worth mentioning the head of xbox can only do so much. There are many people involved.

Fall release is needed. Gotta get it out ahead of third party, big titles. Releasing at the same time or after is just stupid.

Why is at the same time stupid?
Totally fine.
Just after would be bad, because rarely people want to wait to play the newest hottest stuff

cackhyena

Why is at the same time stupid?
Totally fine.
Just after would be bad, because rarely people want to wait to play the newest hottest stuff
Because if it's a couple months before big releases, that gives people some time to save up. Not everyone goes and buys two or three games with a system. Sony made the same mistake releasing the Pro when it did last year. People only have so much to work with.

m23

E3 launch Scorpio, im ready! Got 1k back on my taxes :)

A big clue is the fact the hardware is done. That means its already in manufacturing. Phil having a final unit for a month is pretty great info. I bet ms gives away free units at xfest and e3 and demonstrate a bunch of titles with improved visuals that are available at the same time.

You might want to temper those expectations.

Not sure why this is relevant or used as a chip against Phil. Internal demo's, POCs or ideas are worked on and scraped all the time, this seems to be one of them. I assume because CBoat liked it people here are exaggerating its existence. Its a not really a game that was announced so im baffled why people here treat it as such.

I mean, they showed a trailer for it at e3 2013, it's not like it was some mythical thing, they showed it to us

If you don't want to be judged on that then don't show a cgi trailer at e3

Because if it's a couple months before big releases, that gives people some time to save up. Not everyone goes and buys two or three games with a system. Sony made the same mistake releasing the Pro when it did last year. People only have so much to work with.

and if you do that, you have the problem of a console out with nothing to play on...
people who buy 3 or more games in 3 months are a rarity nevertheless
so if they do, they have and use the money for that
Microsoft could also do the usual. "buy any xbox one console (including scorpio) and get a game for free"

buy Scorpio at launch is not really for people on a very tight budget, who need to save up for one or two additional games

All of a sudden Don Matrick knew Xbox was about all along. In reality he didn't fuck up the Xbox one launch but Phil Spencer secretly sabotaged it himself so he can run the Xbox division himself. It all makes sense now.

Thank god I read GAF for this bit of information.

Also games that had 30 second trailers are set to be amazing because developers said it was.

cackhyena

and if you do that, you have the problem of a console out with nothing to play
people how buy 3 or more games in 3 months are a rarity nevertheless
so if they do, they have and use the money for that
Microsoft could also do the usual. "buy any xbox one console (including scorpio) and get a game for free"

buy Scorpio at launch is not really for people on a very tight budget, who need to save up for one or two additional games
It's not a new gen console, and they aren't treating it as such. You have Instant access to your library, hopefully running everything better, to hold you over. And I'm sure they will have a few launch games to choose from. The point is you have the system and are in the process of saving again for the big third party titles. It's in Microsoft's better interests this way as well. People will want to get third party on that hot new machine they bought, if able. MS wants to see those numbers happen this holiday. I dunno, I just think it would be the better play.

Fredrik

What, are you telling me there are no games on XB1? I'd say it depends on what kind of games you like. As an example, so far we've seen 2 mainline Forza, with another one rumored to arrive this year, then we've had two Forza Horizon too. Sure we've had no PGR yet but I'd still say that it's quite okay at least compared to other platforms. So, learn to love racing ;)

Outrun

In some dimension there is a place where all cancelled games amalgamate.

Shangheist staring Lilly Bergamo.

Top Bottom