• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm finding FFXV to be quite brutal, who was this game catered to?

Nesther

I just finished it recently, and while I kinda enjoyed the beginning part of the game (overworld, questing) and found the ending chapter to be quite satisfying, the pacing and way the story is conveyed is overall subpar, and once you reach the end game "sprint" after a certain chapter, it just completely shits itself and just baaaarely recovers by the end. Seriously some of these chapters leading up to the finale were dreadful, and I played them all post-March patch. So much stuff missing, it's a huge bummer.

It's probably my least favorite FF, besides XIII.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I enjoyed FFXV quite a bit more than I assumed I would, but then I despise most modern JRPG's. The worst thing about the game to me was the writing, pacing, and world building. Funnest FF to actually play outside of FF Tactics though;can't stand most turn based battle systems these days.

cobwall-582b9b0cc0e40.gif

They drastically change personalities between chapters. It makes no sense but the game doesn't care. There's no depth there. It's a bunch of mannequins. Nothing else there.

That wasn't my experience, but hey.

I wish the game had more and better characters, but the main group was fine to me and calling them "mannequins" isn't something I could personally deduct from my time with the game.

The Dude

I know you ain't a fan of action based can't wait your take on the FF7r whenever it comes out. Granted, this is Tabata's poor excuse of a combat.

The thing is, if the combat feels good ill dig it tho. Even tho I'm not a fan of action based in a final fantasy game, but for the sake of simply getting a great game I hope the combat feels great as opposed to this.

My main issue is simply some series I feel should stick closer to the roots, I love a great action based combat system as long as it's for a proper game and or series, and feels good.

If the combat in XV felt better I'd definitely probably enjoy this game a bit more.

eliochip

The combat system is a mess but has some good moments.
The story is a mess but has some decent moments.

You get the idea. This game is a mess. Don't know who they were trying to appeal to but visually it's definitely to boy bands

Mediking

The combat unlocks way too slowly. But I agree it gets better further in. You shouldn't have to slog through 10-15 hours for a game to get decent.

But... you gotta pour time into Bayonetta to unlock hype moves too.

Just sayin'.

I AM gonna defend FFXV's combat. When it's gold... it's gold. When the camera is annoying... oh it's annoying.

It feels like playing the most ambitious half-baked game of all time. Nothing about it is good enough. The combat eventually becomes fun but the actual gameplay loop is never worth doing.

Weird to even contemplate but they really should have done a couple of years of development. The potential is there but never fully realized.

Geg

Man, the driving was my favorite part about the open world, minus the chocobo system. I loved the road trip vibe.

cordy

Banned
Right now my guys are around the low 80s and I'm making my way to finishing these post-game missions. Honestly, this game is fine for a "podcast game" if that makes any sense. Obviously, not for the story portions as you might wanna put that on or at least have it in subtitles but either way I can just turn this game on and run through some stuff as I play. Each time I turn it on I've got something else I can do. I've also been playing FF games for around 20 years.

Idk who it's "catered to" but I have fun with it. Just don't take it too seriously and just go in and you'll be fine.

Gxgear

I've shelved it for now after a dozen hours in, will eventually get to it but it's been a huge disappointment for me as well. Looks pretty, interesting plot setup, but terrible storytelling and clunky combat. Felt like playing a marginally upgraded version of XIII's Chapter 11 plains.

Mediking

The thing is, if the combat feels good ill dig it tho. Even tho I'm not a fan of action based in a final fantasy game, but for the sake of simply getting a great game I hope the combat feels great as opposed to this.

My main issue is simply some series I feel should stick closer to the roots, I love a great action based combat system as long as it's for a proper game and or series, and feels good.

If the combat in XV felt better I'd definitely probably enjoy this game a bit more.

Unlock AirStep.

Find a weapon you like.

Go to a herd of enemies.

Unleash your rage.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Also, how do you mess up a Magic vs Technology battle by making the prince of the Magic empire drive around in a non-magical car with an engine blade and the technological empire ends up using more magic by the end?
🤔

Good point.

Mister Wolf

I want to like this game, I really do. I'm playing it in hopes to find that special feel but.... I can't help but wonder who this game was designed for. It's one of the weirdest game mash ups I can recall and not really in a good way. I realize some might love it and that's fine, but I find the game to be pretty cringe worthy at times.

I remember feeling ff13 was not to FF feeling but looking back and when I fired it up recently, it feels a lot closer to the mark than this.

And same with ff12, that game looks like the pinnacle FF when compared to XV even tho 12 is a decent step away from the typical formula, but it's a formula that I favor alot more than what XV is offering.

It's kind of sad that I'm actually looking at the re-release of 12 as if it was the "new" FF, and even moreso while playing FFXV.

Now granted, I'm not super far in... I've done a good but of questing and exploring around, but I'm not far in. Does this game take a nice turn where it starts to just really come together and feel more like a Final Fantasy game? Or does it sort of stay the course and basically what you get from the start is what you're gonna get the whole game?

Man my once favorite series of all time has really fallen so far compared to other series like DQ that just hold the fort down and are typically awesome each and every time.

Its a bad game. Don't force yourself to play it. I forced my self to beat it but I wish I would have just taken it back immediately so could get more of my money back.

Rhanitan

It game got much worse the further I went because any hopes i had for the story being interesting fell apart very fast after the second half.The gameplay never really evolves either. Fighting the final enemies and bosses didnt feel any different than fighting enemies from the beginning of the game.

TissueBox

Basically dev hell + ambition + need to break even = this.

It was always in a troubled position. I know people think it's too terrible to be justified, however I was charmed by it even with all the disappointments. It came out and coulda been worse than what I got, personally, so maybe it was just relief. The future is still open; lessons can be learned. So still hope yet.

Mileage may vary of course. If it doesn't click with you, it may be better off shelved. ;/

I AM gonna defend FFXV's combat. When it's gold... it's gold. When the camera is annoying... oh it's annoying.

Im with you, still my favorite gameplay so far, spent 90 hours on first playthrough(will do another run when all Dlc is out)

But could easily do another 100 hours for combat alone. Only thing I wish was world was more heavily populated with enemies.

Nesther

Right now my guys are around the low 80s and I'm making my way to finishing these post-game missions. Honestly, this game is fine for a "podcast game" if that makes any sense. Obviously, not for the story portions as you might wanna put that on or at least have it in subtitles but either way I can just turn this game on and run through some stuff as I play. Each time I turn it on I've got something else I can do. I've also been playing FF games for around 20 years.

Idk who it's "catered to" but I have fun with it. Just don't take it too seriously and just go in and you'll be fine.

That's how I had the most fun too. Just mucking about, doing quests and exploring while watching/listening to EZA and stuff. Whenever it tried to focus on the story, my enjoyment dipped, because the delivery was almost always very awkward.

Carlius

Banned
The game is about the bros, if you like them the game will be enjoyable if not pass.. the most FF it feels is near the end. Enemies models are top notch.

this very much. Its an adventure with the bros. i personally found it cool at the beginning but then i lost all interest.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
People would've overlooked its gameplay flaws if it had a half decent story. But it doesn't. Oh well. The game is a disheveled mess. No two ways about it. I feel sorry for the people who had to QA this heaping pile of shit.

Lol. I just started playing it after beating Horizon and the contrast is not favorable so far. A minor yet major thing is how they don't let you use the analog stick to move through menu UI. Why are games still doing this?! So frustrating.

Gator86

I've shelved it for now after a dozen hours in, will eventually get to it but it's been a huge disappointment for me as well. Looks pretty, interesting plot setup, but terrible storytelling and clunky combat. Felt like playing a marginally upgraded version of XIII's Chapter 11 plains.

My basic experience - on the shelf after a dozen hours and mostly shrugs. It's not especially good.

this very much. Its an adventure with the bros. i personally found it cool at the beginning but then i lost all interest.

It didn't get as big as I'd hoped. They hammered Duscae at us for years, and that was a large part of the game. Other than that was a big desert and then a handful of more interesting places that you couldn't explore.

The world was big, yet compared to other games I didn't get that sense of place-to-place traversal. And this is the problem with doing "open world," it feels mindlessly huge without enough variation and despite the size of it and the visuals and whatever, it doesn't feel as epic as previous installments or other games in general.

Zelda was open world, but it had so much visual variety to it. Games like FFXV and MGSV-- ESPECIALLY MGSV-- felt too visually samey to me. FFXV wasn't quite as bad, but I still had similar complaints. Had they dialed down Duscae and opened up places like Tenebrae things may have been different.

royox

Its for people who like western open world RPGs.
[/url]

Not even for them (well...us). 90% of the game is build around totally pointless fetch quests like feeding a cat, taking pics for the Lost guy or searching shinny stones for the non-journalist guy.

The game feels like 2 games made by totally different teams. It doesn't have any sense that everybody is dying or in death danger but "let's see the chocobos!!!!", "Hey Noct your dad just died, maybe your fiancee too and our country has been taken by the empire....but let's take some cool pics here!!!".

The main story would be good if most of the crucial plot points were in the game but nope, what we got was a game filled with major plot holes and "BUY OUR DLC TO KNOW MORE!!!"

Wagram

Supposedly for Final Fantasy fans and new people according to the intro.

What a bad way to introduce them to stories in Final Fantasy.

Rpgmonkey

I don't like most things about this game to be honest and think it's kinda disappointing as an overall Final Fantasy title, but I enjoyed the dungeons. Aside from one they're pretty light on repetitive puzzles and other stuff that I'm not really fond of in dungeons, I just liked the overall scenery, usage of traps, and the attempts at reasonably difficult enemies. They ended up being the bright spot of the game for me.

My main problems with them were that some of the encounters had the right idea in mind but weren't designed well enough to not be confusing or annoying, the item system in the game is really messed up and can ruin the pacing and balance of fights, and the bosses at the end were rather underwhelming in a series I think actually has a good history of fun boss fights (a lot of them had great designs though). I enjoyed the overall journey through them though and wouldn't mind if the game had more (maybe they'll add more later but I don't have any interest in going back to the game at this point, lol).

Crevox

For as much hate as FFXIII got, I actually enjoyed that more than this. I also find it odd that while FFXIII-3's combat was relatively simple, it was still more interesting and skillful than this.

LordKano

For as much hate as FFXIII got, I actually enjoyed that more than this. I also find it odd that while FFXIII-3's combat was relatively simple, it was still more interesting and skillful than this.

FFXIII's battle system was better than in most JRPG ever released. That game can be trashed for a ton of reasons, but certainly not for its combats.

Mister Wolf

I remember when I first saw it all those year ago I expected Kingdom Hearts quality combat. Boy was in for a surprise when I got home popped the disc in and started slogging through it. Who the hell thought that combat system was a good idea its not even up to the standards of Xenoblade in enjoyement.

cordy

Banned
That's how I had the most fun too. Just mucking about, doing quests and exploring while watching/listening to EZA and stuff. Whenever it tried to focus on the story, my enjoyment dipped, because the delivery was almost always very awkward.

Yep that's exactly how it is.

Squire

Banned
It's the franchise' mid-life crisis. You don't know who it's for and it has no plans to tell you because it doesn't know, itself.

Drop it. Play something else. Look forward to TZA.

Lightning Returns was better, full-stop. That game had amazing atmosphere and gameplay. A remaster at a higher resolution and frame rate (and some texture work) would work serious wonders for it.

I did like FFXV, but compared to previous entries it just didn't have enough to it and I don't really enjoy the sort of checklist-style gameplay (fish/cook/camp/waypoints/etc) that permeates most open world games.

I think this is a big reason why Zelda went over so well, it had some repetitive aspects by nature but it didn't feel like you were doing anything chore-like or always just going down the same checklist routine.

If they can't do open worlds better, go back to being linear (though do it better than XIII did).

I've only played XIII, but they change up the game mechanics with every main number game right? All of them probably won't be for every FF fan.

Fatmanp

I finished FFXV this week. I felt that the plot was poorly executed. The Starscourge feels like an after thought right up until it all of a sudden becomes the key focus of the game. The combat is shocking. It is just a hodge podge of lock on and hold the attack button until you see an incoming attack then dodge.

FF needs to go back to being turn based imo.

D

Deleted member 601986

Unconfirmed Member
It was my first final fantasy and I was somewhat confused in the beginning. I saw kingsglaive and the brotherhood anime but still. After playing awhile I got into it and enjoyed it very well. I can see that it had a troubled development history but I could still enjoy the mechanics, most characters and the awesome OST. I'd wish the story parts could be told a bit more coherently but in the end I still liked the sum of its parts.

theofficefan99

Blame Tabata for the combat, since he claimed he's "too old" and wants to enjoy a game by holding a button. No way to cancel animations, making two-handed swords unbearable. Worst camera and lock-on I've ever encountered in a game. Horrendous writing. Horrendous pacing. Dull art design for the most part. Tons and tons and tons and tons of padding in and out of the main story. Rushed to hell and back.

The game ultimately feels pointless. No part of the game stands on its own and is below average, and it's definitely not one of those "more than the sum of its parts" kind of game because the game has nothing to offer. It's just a waste of time. It's shallow as hell in every aspect. It has a great soundtrack and that's it. Easily the worst mainline FF IMO and I was completely shocked that this was what we got.

Top Bottom