• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who walk with feet pointing outwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
33190.gif

DonMigs85

Do you find something comical about my appearance wen I walk with my feet pointed outwards?
Everyone needs to walk, even the very fat. It helps with weight distribution.

DonMigs85 said:
Do you find something comical about my appearance wen I walk with my feet pointed outwards?
Everyone needs to walk, even the very fat. It helps with weight distribution.

Nope, my feet do the same thing and i run like 6 miles a day. It is not really an issue for me.

Hartt951

When I was younger I used to walk like that and then I got orthotics to fix it and now I walk with my feet perfectly straight, and I actually find it annoying when I see people walking like that. I don' know why, but it just bugs me.

jmdajr

Maleficence said:
First of all, the primary issue here is likely to be external (lateral) rotation at the hip, as your knee does not rotate much at all when the knee is straight. There's a number of reasons you could have this problem.

The most obvious would be a combination of muscle tightness and muscle weakness in the antagonist muscle group. A good strengthening and stretching regimen could help assist the biomechanics back to normal. Strengthen the internal rotaters and stretch out the external rotaters.

There could also be some physical changes to the bony structures of the involved joints (mainly looking at the hips and knees but at a stretch even ankles) that would lead to people adopting positions of ease causing issues like this, tough over time this would lead to the above changes also so both would need to be corrected.

A slight amount of external rotation is actually completely normal. The shin should align with the 2nd toe in standing iirc.

/physio student

Edit - There seem to be a lot of people confusing this with an issue with flat footedness. Flat foot is an a foot issue and unless very severe is unlikely to have much of an effect on the rotation of the hip, therefore it's a seperate issue. If you have very flat feet, you will get over pronation of the foot, very high arches will lead to over supination (much less common). Over pronation can lead to some appearance of external rotation, but you can very much be over pronated and also have perfectly normal hip rotation and therefore your feet wont point outwards as much. Overpronation can lead to a valgus deformity at the knees, however this would lead to an internal rotation at the hip, not an external rotation.

I may have got some of this stuff wrong, I'm still studying :p
good post man. I just didny have yhe knowledge to fully explain it earlier

Prine

Banned
It doesnt annoy me (imagine the state a man may be if little things like this annoys him), but its a turn off when a hot chick (in flat shoes) are pointing out like sign posts.

RevDM

Banned
Hato-kun said:
I notice this all the time and it's definitely something I see happening with larger people. I just don't understand it.

pick up a heavy load (stack of dictionaries or something) and notice your posture.

you will slightly squat, arched back, and toes pointed outwards. It's the body's mechanism of readjusting the center of gravity.

EYEL1NER

mac said:
The proper term is over-pronation.

pronation.jpg

It can get worse.

pronation-1.jpg

But if you aren't a jogger or active type it may not affect you that much.
Not really. Overpronation just means the foot rolls inward. I am severly flat-footed and due to that, overpronated. But when I walk, my feet still point forward. Being overpronated doesn't mean your feet will point outwards.
If you are duck-footed, you will more than likely overpronate but not necessarily the other way around.
Edit: It seems like someone who is duck-footed would underpronate though.

Schrade

That's interesting that some relate this to being overweight. I mostly see it on skinny or non overweight people.

It's strange for me to see people walk that way as it looks very uncomfortable.

Like you could easily be pushed over or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom