• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Azzanadra

SO MUCH HYPE right now, I honestly don't have time to watch more than like 5 TV shows a year but Better Call Saul is as every bit as good as Breaking Bad .

I'm ready to get all fired up again in this thread, having known multiple Chucks in my life.

Yep, dude is driven by pure jealousy and spite. The scene from last season where he shows up at the office with everything running to take the account back from Kim is absolutely fantastic.

Chumley

Banned
#TeamChuck right here

ezgif.com-resize.gif

the #teamchuck thing is interesting

i think its legit and fair, you have a man who cares about the integrity of his profession only to have to deal with this sneaky slimy newt (even if lovable) of a brother that somehow slipped through the cracks and is treating the field like a playground

chucks an underdog in a way because while jimmy now is a lawyer AND people love him, he has a good integrity

the show is directed in favor of jimmy

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Chuck-Hive knows how to block out haters.

giphy.gif

I actually like Chuck as a character quite a bit. He's had a literal con artist for a brother for his entire adult life. Jimmy might be temporarily on the straight and narrow, but he's still a sloppy corner cutter.

Chumley

Banned

i think its legit and fair, you have a man who cares about the integrity of his profession only to have to deal with this sneaky slimy newt (even if lovable) of a brother that somehow slipped through the cracks and is treating the field like a playground

chucks an underdog in a way because while jimmy now is a lawyer AND people love him, he has a good integrity

I'm sorry but the end of last season killed any possible moral justification for being on Chuck's side. The dude is a complete snake who will throw his own family under the bus for the sake of his pride.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, fuck Chuck.

It's a testament to the skill of the writers that despite Chuck being right on every level about Jimmy's character and actions, we'll (Well most of us) just never be on his side. Just like all the people in the show that are familiar with the both of them, we simply like Jimmy more, even if it means overlooking some of his obvious flaws. Because unlike Chuck, Jimmy's actually fun to be around, he's still a good person overall, and he isn't a huge hypocrite either. Furthermore, he only did it in order to help out Kim; it isn't as if he wanted to screw him over specifically. Whereas Chuck has always had this really unhealthy, all-engrossing vendetta against Jimmy for practically his entire life.

Speaking of which, last year's episode just further reinforced the main difference between the brothers. Jimmy may not like to play by the rules, but when it comes to Chuck, he has always been there for him, in spite of all the shit he put him through. (Preventing him from working at his firm, telling him his mom had no last words before dying, etc. etc.) Whereas far as Chuck is concerned, this man will stop at no lengths to mess with Jimmy's (and Kim, who he now clearly considers to be fair game now) life, and now he has stooped to the point where he's willing to exploit his brother's love for him, literally pretending that he's basically going crazy and is retiring, all for the sole purpose of getting a confession so that he could record it. That is some messed up dedication. For someone that's always going on about the law and doing the right thing, he has some pretty fucked up morals when it comes to Jimmy.

So while Season 2 gave us more insight as to why Chuck (rightfully I'll admit) feels the way he does about Jimmy, he will always be an asshole.

It's true that Chuck is bitter and jealous that people like Jimmy as he is but why he wants Jimmy out of his professional peripheral I can understand completely.

The law was always Chuck's baby. It is his passion, his world. He takes it very seriously. Like he said himself he put his entire life into it. It really does mean so much to him and it's something he wants kept in pristine condition. His colleagues know it and Jimmy knows it. But as we know Jimmy, the law is merely a toy which he can, and does abuse. We know that Jimmy can't help himself when it comes to dealing with the underworld. THAT is truly Jimmy's realm, the polar opposite of Chuck's. Chuck cannot have this anywhere near his profession. Chuck has worked so hard to earn his reputation as the lawyer he is. It's a problem to allow someone like Jimmy to practice the law under the same name, knowing who he is and what he's capable of. Chuck does not want to account for Jimmy's shenanigans. You may say that Chuck made him that way by neglecting him but I truly believe that that Jimmy would go back to the shit because that's the creature he is. You can see it in his eyes when Kim catches that Jimmy planted the cobbler vid and told him she never wants to hear anything like it again. Jimmy's a crook by nature. But a crook with a heart of gold.

Jimmy is actually a lot like a superhero for bad guys. Jimmy being the true identity and Saul Goodman being his eventual alter ego. It's his calling to "save" those who are in "the game" from the law and him being this superhero will have very dangerous consequences. It's for this reason that superheros avoid having girlfriends and I think this will be the reason for Jimmy and Kim to part.

Carl

It's almost here! Finally. I think I'm most excited the present day opening. They're always fantastic

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope we will just see Jesse, Badger, Combo and Skinny Pete casually eating some Los Pollos in the background of a Gus scene at some point.

I'm Team Chuck because he's my favorite character, and I don't believe his character/complexity/flaws/moral dilemmas/relationship with Jimmy get the proper discussion/nuance they deserve from the #fuckchuck team (and no this isn't me saying that Chuck is in the right or as moral/ as he pretends to be or that Jimmy is Satan).

Also I find it funny that most of the #Fuckchuckers were Walter riders or still are Walter riders.

Boogs31

Just re-watched season 2 in preparation for Monday.
Really curious how the whole recording of Jimmy's confession is gonna play out.

Chumley

Banned
I'm Team Chuck because he's my favorite character, and I don't believe his character/complexity/flaws/moral dilemmas/relationship with Jimmy get the proper discussion/nuance they deserve from the #fuckchuck team (and no this isn't me saying that Chuck is in the right or as moral/ as he pretends to be or that Jimmy is Satan).

Also I find it funny that most of the #Fuckchuckers were Walter riders or still are Walter riders.

If you want to have a proper discussion, you should stop labeling people with hashtags and making blanket assumptions about what their opinions on Breaking Bad were.

If you want to have a proper discussion, you should stop labeling people with hashtags and making blanket assumptions about what their opinions on Breaking Bad were.
I'm not blanketing anyone as anything, and I'm not assuming anyone's opinions on Breaking Bad.
The #FuckChuck squad created that hashtag and spams that in any Chuck discussion across the web, hell fuckchuck immediately appeared on the first page of this thread, that's who they are, they're fuckchuck people and they proudly proclaim it, it's not a summary of their perspectives on the show, it's just a statement of where they stand on a particular character.
And that Breaking Bad comment wasn't directed at any person in this thread and wasn't made with any particular people or groups in mind, I was just pointing out something that I found funny from what I've observed from following the fandom since Season 1.

Betty

Banned
I'm hoping Chuck goes fully catatonic or winds up in a virtual coma, fully aware of things but unable to give voice to his thoughts or have independent actions.

He's a great nemesis though.

Travo

How long do you guys think this series should run? I say no more than five seasons. I wouldn't want to ruin a good thing.

How long do you guys think this series should run? I say no more than five seasons. I wouldn't want to ruin a good thing.

Four. Five if they actually do a present day one.

The Chuck-Hive knows how to block out haters.

giphy.gif

I actually like Chuck as a character quite a bit. He's had a literal con artist for a brother for his entire adult life. Jimmy might be temporarily on the straight and narrow, but he's still a sloppy corner cutter.

From experience, it's maddening to see something in a person that no one else sees for their whole life. I'm sure everyone has had a person like that to some degree. Your buddies girlfriend who is only using him, that family member that is destroying someone's life but because of "family" they won't do anything about it.

As I've mentioned before, Chuck is completely driven by spite and jealousy by the time we see him in Better Call Saul, and he does some reprehensible shit. That's why he's an awesome character though, because he's technically not wrong about Jimmy, but the way he acts on it is completely wrong, and actually pushing him further into the image he sees of him. It's sad. Jimmy just wanted his brother's respect, but he doesn't realize that window closed a long time ago, and it's not opening again.

tl;dr He's not wrong (all the time), he's just an asshole.

as long as gilligan and gould want it to. If they have a 6 season arc they're trying to tell then go for it. As long as it's them that decide I'm good.

My god, how can this team exist?

I admit, I understood Chuck's position a little more at the end of S1. I was even a little defensive of his stance about hiring Jimmy into his law firm. I remember catching a lot of flak in BCS threads a year ago for slightly defending Chuck.

By now? Fuck Chuck. Both S2E10's cold open and conclusion are more than enough to condemn him. He's still a somewhat complicated antagonist, but he's out for vengeance.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
From experience, it's maddening to see something in a person that no one else sees for their whole life. I'm sure everyone has had a person like that to some degree. Your buddies girlfriend who is only using him, that family member that is destroying someone's life but because of "family" they won't do anything about it.

As I've mentioned before, Chuck is completely driven by spite and jealousy by the time we see him in Better Call Saul, and he does some reprehensible shit. That's why he's an awesome character though, because he's technically not wrong about Jimmy, but the way he acts on it is completely wrong, and actually pushing him further into the image he sees of him. It's sad. Jimmy just wanted his brother's respect, but he doesn't realize that window closed a long time ago, and it's not opening again.

tl;dr He's not wrong (all the time), he's just an asshole.

Exactly. I don't think anybody is excusing Chuck's behavior. Getting at Jimmy through Kim is Grade-A horse shit. But that's the beauty of this show. As a viewer, I "get" why Chuck would be that way towards his own brother. He's singularly in the best position to understand Jimmy's habits. Chuck is an extremely intelligent, hyper competent person. And now he is focused on exposing Jimmy as a fraud. Chuck is "breaking bad" in his own way now, so he can contain the inevitable (from his experience) implosion of Slippin' Jimmy.

Now I want to binge some Season 2 episodes to refresh myself haha

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm on "#team loves to see these actors and characters interacting and doing whatever antics these writers come up with".

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pretty sure everybody is on that team
idk, some want Chuck to die and that would remove him from the show.

Trying to pick sides or to boil down characters to either being assholes or not always feels like a disservice to these shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
as long as gilligan and gould want it to. If they have a 6 season arc they're trying to tell then go for it. As long as it's them that decide I'm good.

Yep. I want the show to go on for as long as the writers feel like they need it to - I have faith that they won't overstay their welcome.

Nah, fuck Chuck.

It's a testament to the skill of the writers that despite Chuck being right on every level about Jimmy's character and actions, we'll (Well most of us) just never be on his side. Just like all the people in the show that are familiar with the both of them, we simply like Jimmy more, even if it means overlooking some of his obvious flaws. Because unlike Chuck, Jimmy's actually fun to be around, he's still a good person overall, and he isn't a huge hypocrite either. Furthermore, he only did it in order to help out Kim; it isn't as if he wanted to screw him over specifically. Whereas Chuck has always had this really unhealthy, all-engrossing vendetta against Jimmy for practically his entire life.

Speaking of which, last year's episode just further reinforced the main difference between the brothers. Jimmy may not like to play by the rules, but when it comes to Chuck, he has always been there for him, in spite of all the shit he put him through. (Preventing him from working at his firm, telling him his mom had no last words before dying, etc. etc.) Whereas far as Chuck is concerned, this man will stop at no lengths to mess with Jimmy's (and Kim, who he now clearly considers to be fair game now) life, and now he has stooped to the point where he's willing to exploit his brother's love for him, literally pretending that he's basically going crazy and is retiring, all for the sole purpose of getting a confession so that he could record it. That is some messed up dedication. For someone that's always going on about the law and doing the right thing, he has some pretty fucked up morals when it comes to Jimmy.

So while Season 2 gave us more insight as to why Chuck (rightfully I'll admit) feels the way he does about Jimmy, he will always be an asshole.

Chuck has a mental disorder, but it's not hypersensitivity. It's extreme narcissism.

He can be right all he wants about the things he's actually right about, but it'll never be good enough for him. He always has to be the authority in every situation, he has to be ipso facto right about everything. The few times that he's been confronted with actual evidence that he's wrong (faked or otherwise), what has he done? He's had a nervous breakdown. He's blamed everyone else but himself. It would not surprise me if he initially made up his hypersensitivity just to get people to feel bad for him.

Bottom line is that Chuck cannot stand it when Jimmy does something good, because it confuses Chuck.

What happens when Jimmy point blank asks Chuck if he is trying to get him outted from law? Chuck doesn't deny it, instead opting to make up a conspiracy theory about Jimmy trying to get him to get disbarred. Jimmy literally asks Chuck if he's trying to get him kicked out of his career, which by the way he 100% is, and Chuck seems to not even be able to acknowledge that he's doing that. To Chuck, he's helping Jimmy, and at most he's lying straight to his brothers face. At worst, he literally can't understand that he's hurting Jimmy, or that he would ever hurt Jimmy. Which makes what he does in the past all the more horrifying. Does he think that he's protecting Jimmy by refusing to tell him that their mother, now dead, asked for him? Does it even register to Chuck at all that he took that away from his brother? Since day one, Chuck has stolen Jimmy's work and done everything in his power to make him look like the dumbest motherfucker to his associates. Then Kim is the one to confront him about all of this. She says to Chuck everything that he has done to Jimmy, and how he treats people. He responds by treating her like a child.

Chuck is just waiting for the day that Jimmy becomes Saul.

noomi

Anyone have a good recap video of the first 2 seasons? I want to bring myself backup to speed before jumping into s3 :D

noomi

Binge it. Both seasons are on Netflix

As much as I would love to, time won't allow for such a viewing. Here's to hoping that they do a short recap on AMC before it begins.

I've forgotten so much about the show already, the scene where
Mike has a note on his car that says "Don't"... totally forgot that already happened
. When they showed this promo on AMC I thought it was a scene from the new season :p

SpaceWolf

Banned
I hope Netflix will offer a recap for the previous two seasons. Watching this with my parents and they have awful memories.

Top Bottom