• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
unedited bottom-to-top posts later:
TJdUrO4.png

The bottom two quotes are totally true though.
Watching the video now.
I like Marcus Jon and Phil so this should be interesting haha

nickp

Neo Member
I really appreciate that Marcus Beer is being blunt and honest here about how he feels -- it's refreshing in this industry -- but he's being incredibly insensitive. Watching this made me want to reach into the screen and slap him around a few times. Thanks in no small part to his hypocritical "I can be an asshole because that's what I am" statement.

jond76

Banned
Lol. I'm getting fishing ads now because on the content of this thread.

Maybe locking his Twitter account was for the best. Tale a break and all.

Axass

What do we get from this? That our industry is fucked.

1. Blow: "I'm so better than you, ahahaha", and he's the less bad...
  2. Fish: He wants attention, he acts like a 3 years old, too aggressive and melodramatic, basically threatens to cancel a game out of a rage fit, so that people will feel he's the victim.
  3. Beer: Uneducated, gets money by slamming things and people he doesn't even understand, overly aggressive about stupid things (see: cosplayers).
  4. Journalists: Sensationalists, always on the hunt for clicks and views, can't bother to confirm rumors or to wait for a confirmation, attack artists without any merit (see: Kamiya and Kamitani), do shit job with reviews and previews, have no transparency whatsoever.
  5. Community: Always ready to side with one or the other, when usually both sides are wrong, apologetic towards mega-corporations out for our money, immensively aggresive and uneducated.
Let's not talk about publishers...

amr

Banned
Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.
/thread

Bravocado

1. Blow: "I'm so better than you, ahahaha", and he's the less worse...
  2. Fish: He wants attention, he acts like a 3 years old, too aggressive and melodramatic, basically threatens to cancel a game out of a rage fit, so that people will feel he's the victim.
  3. Beer: Uneducated, gets money by slamming things and people he doesn't even understand, overly aggressive about stupid things (see: cosplayers).
  4. Journalists: Sensationalists, always on the hunt for clicks and views, can't bother to confirm rumors or to wait for a confirmation, attack artists without any merit (see: Kamiya and Kamitani), do shit job with reviews and previews, have no transparency whatsoever.
  5. Community: Always ready to side with one or the other, when usually both sides are wrong, apologetic towards mega-corporations out for our money, immensively aggresive and uneducated.

He's got nothing against cosplayers, he immediately said he thinks they're awesome, but feels that E3 should be a professional trade show, not a costume convention.

Blow can be insufferable at times and Fish can be an ass, but the kind of personal insults Beer engaged in was over the line in my mind.

Fish should have disengaged and not responded in kind, obviously, but like many people might he took personal insults personally.

k_trout

i like marcus i find him entertaining but this is what happens when someone who is paid for his opinion criticizes those who are paid to create and are not paid to have opinions

that made sense in my head lol

Maybe locking his Twitter account was for the best. Take a break and all.

I don't understand why anyone in the public space would want a Twitter account. Yeah, I'm sure it's probably a must do kind of thing in today's world, but if you are even remotely famous it seems like an invite for every crazy person or person with a vendetta to constantly shit on you. It's sounds like it's the equivalent of your life being judged on a daily basis by the likes of You Tube commenters and anything you type could end up being quoted in the media.

I don't know if Fish made a lot of money off Fez, but the first thing he should do is hire a community manager for Polytron, i.e. the guy that would receive all the hate tweets, death threats and generally nasty comments. Fish locking his Twitter accounts sound like the best decision for his mental health tbqh.

Axass

He's got nothing against cosplayers, he immediately said he thinks they're awesome, but feels that E3 should be a professional trade show, not a costume convention.

E3 is closed to the public, the only cosplayers are payed by the publishers, it's a form of advertising, nothing unprofessional as far as I'm concerned.

E3 is closed to the public, the only cosplayers are payed by the publishers, it's a form of advertising, nothing unprofessional as far as I'm concerned.

E3 is hardly closed to the "public". Yeah, you can't walk in off the street, but there are plenty of people there who have no business being there.

Including Marcus if you follow his own reasoning.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the GT video and that guy is a huge dick, really. He is pissed because they didn't want to talk about something? What the hell is that, why do they have to? I mean, they do it alot, it's not like they are locking themselves in.
And then he goes on a rant against them, adressing them personally, calling them "fucking hipsters" and saying that nobody in games media should talk about them anymore. That's ridiculous. Do your job and get some real information instead of some comment you can turn into a story!
I can understand why Phil would ask for an apology. That's not to say that he is better, he's a huge dick, too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think that Blow and Fish are incredible assholes, HOWEVER, they are in the right on this one? Game jounalism is pathetic, DoritoesGate already exposed that, and now Marcus wants to rant on them because they didnt want to talk to journalists about a fucking rumor at the time.

How about game journalists do their fucking job and research something rather than reposting tweets from game developers and calling it news or acting as if every rumor is the truth.

As much as I enjoy listening to Marcus drone on about how much knowledge he has in the industry on just about every other AG to back up his credibility to whine. I think he's crossed the line on this one. IW is not AG, don't make it your AG Marcus. I can stand and enjoy hearing you talk for 10 minutes but not an hour long rant about how you feel the need to cuss out someone on public airwaves. Mainly the web. Judging by the other comments I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

brandnew

Marcus's comments just don't sit well with me. I think he has the right to say what he wants on the podcast and should be sincere, but how he went about doing that about Jon and Phil it was just plain mean and barely constructive. The name calling, the whole directing it at them personally, etc. all made it really awkward and a little too personal. Yes Marcus has his sort of "character" like Jim Sterling has his, but it really shouldn't cross the professional/personal border like it did here. His recent tweets make it seem like he didn't mean to be so personal, but it's a little late now.

Marcus' initial exasperation and rant might have been a tad precious, but Fish really stepped over the line with his retaliation. I really can't get behind someone who thinks that telling someone to go kill themselves is a good or acceptable response to an argument.

Yeah, Fish going to tell Marcus to kill him self is insane. Esp since Marcus tried committing suicide and is still recovering from that trauma.

hackdog

Banned

1. Blow: "I'm so better than you, ahahaha", and he's the less bad...

You're spot on there. There is no place for you on NeoGAF unfortunately.

He hasn't hid it, he's talked about it plenty on his show and has had several absences on his programs relating to that issue. It's no secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom