• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Castle is Marvel Comics next War Machine

Slayven

Rhodey will probably be russerected in the comics but die in Infinity War

Rhodey is already on his second life

war-machine-might-actually-become-a-machine.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Only good thing is this will be temporary as fuck.

Gotta pivot back to classic Punisher by the time that Netflix series comes out.

Odinson and Punisher are getting fucked so hard by Secret Empire.

Kill off one of your most prominent black heroes, give his name and outfit to the icon of extremist cops everywhere.

No chance of this backfiring!

Pretty much this. What an awful idea and it doesn't help that Punisher is currently not a well written character. Marvel comics has been making some pretty weird/bad ideas lately.

"Think we should let new characters finally have legacy mantles?" "Nah let's just switch who gets who's costume for a few months it's the same thing"

KingV

Punisher is anything but a shit character when done right.

I don't see what could be interesting about making him War Machine though. It just seems like dumb overkill for the sake of it.

My guess is that the inspiration is that he had "war journal" so now he is "War Machine".

That said, the current way he is being written seems ridiculous.

Slayven

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Everyone is. Secret Empire is just full of stupid at the moment.

The big moment in the newest issue literally made me close the comic and leave the room because it was so fucking dumb. I was rockin' with SE during #0 and #1, but its become everything I hate about "event" comics. Too many tie-ins and now everyone is acting so ridiculous that you know they'll have to walk it back...so what's the point?

mreddie

The big moment in the newest issue literally made me close the comic and leave the room because it was so fucking dumb. I was rockin' with SE during #0 and #1, but its become everything I hate about "event" comics. Too many tie-ins and now everyone is acting so ridiculous that you know they'll have to walk it back...so what's the point?

As said before, Empire was going decent but then you saw the formula and the shocking reveals weren't shocking.

The last 2 years of Marvel have not been good and I doubt shit will change until editorial gets its shit together, it happened to DC and DiDlo isn't a moron now.

When Pun wearing War Machine armor will sell more then an actual War Machine comic. ��

I loved the Iron Patriot mini but of course, no one wanted it, they wanted Superior Spider Man.

Rhodey is already on his second life

war-machine-might-actually-become-a-machine.jpg

That series made me realize the true potential of War Machine and is one of my favorite runs. I really wish they'd let his armor keep the integration ability he had in here.

And yes, this was the best Cyborg book DC never made.

As for the news, not a fan of it for reasons already stated.

Tizoc

Look Marvel, FrankenCastle worked cuz it was a funny silly concept that resulted in a fun story arc, but this is just plain lame.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Him acting so far out of character is the most bizarre thing. He wouldn't Hail Hydra, he wouldn't wear War Machine he does his own

Maybe there will be a good twist about it, but this is a bad move from the outside.

Also I loathe that shitbags have co-opted a character who has long been an obviously unstable and extremist character that virtually none of the Marvel heroes like as some sort of pro-violence hero.

Likely because of how The Avengers "no kill policy" doesn't, and has never, made any sense. You have a Soldier, a God, a rage monster, a spy, and a psycho in an iron suit acting holier than thou...

So them judging Castle has always been weird. Especially when fucking Sabretooth was an Avenger.

But Marvel never really followed through on the whole "I'm you if you'd seen Vietnam/Iraq" stuff with Cap and Frank.

shaowebb

Sigh...more proof that Marvel writers are just fanfic dudes that can't be original. Frank and Cap in Hydra and now Frank is War Machine too? All they know how to do anymore is cram as many heroes into stuff as they can and when that gets old they have other heroes dress up as different ones and make the original holders of those hero names become villains. Its soooo stupid! JUST LEARN TO CREATE A VILLAIN INSTEAD OF MAKING EVERY CHARACTER THE ENEMY!

Drives me nuts. Not one decent fucking original villain written in a long time. Eventually they turn the classic heroes into the bad guys and then just take newer faces and give them the title of the old fallen hero who went bad. Gives all the longterm fans a big fat fuck you. Hell I'm even hard pressed to think of a new hero that didn't in some way use the name or theme of a previous hero to get goin. They're all spinoffs too.

I think the last decent original Villain they made was The Hood. Is it so hard to just write a bad guy? Are they just goin in circles so long now that they can't write origin stories for bad guys and they can only write stories about assuming the role and responsibility of another hero's legacy?

Sick of it. Its why I try to stay clear of Marvel these days. Its all just fanfics and heroes cosplaying other heroes that are too busy cosplaying villains.

jph139

Eventing-up the whole thing was the big issue. If it was just a big crossover arc for the SamCap and SteveCap comics, framed as a big Cosmic Cube clusterfuck that's going to be fixed in the end (which we knew from the jump it was going to be) - that would have been great! Smart and lean and interesting!

But it's just as bloated and plodding as most events. You get maybe two or three pages of good stuff per issue, like Ultron's dinner party or the showdown between AI Tony and Steve.

Holy shit, his body count was already high but it's gonna go through the roof now. Not a good time to be a bad guy in the Marvel universe lol.

Sigh...more proof that Marvel writers are just fanfic dudes that can't be original. Frank and Cap in Hydra and now Frank is War Machine too? All they know how to do anymore is cram as many heroes into stuff as they can and when that gets old they have other heroes dress up as different ones and make the original holders of those hero names become villains. Its soooo stupid! JUST LEARN TO CREATE A VILLAIN INSTEAD OF MAKING EVERY CHARACTER THE ENEMY!

Drives me nuts. Not one decent fucking original villain written in a long time. Eventually they turn the classic heroes into the bad guys and then just take newer faces and give them the title of the old fallen hero who went bad. Gives all the longterm fans a big fat fuck you. Hell I'm even hard pressed to think of a new hero that didn't in some way use the name or theme of a previous hero to get goin. They're all spinoffs too.

I think the last decent original Villain they made was The Hood. Is it so hard to just write a bad guy? Are they just goin in circles so long now that they can't write origin stories for bad guys and they can only write stories about assuming the role and responsibility of another hero's legacy?

Sick of it. Its why I try to stay clear of Marvel these days. Its all just fanfics and heroes cosplaying other heroes that are too busy cosplaying villains.
The problem with new villains is a writer creates one and another writer quickly forgets about them. Editorial does not give them enough room to leave a legacy. They end up just becoming a thing in a story arc and that's it. At this point I wouldn't insult fanfic writers cuz even they are not happy with Marvel.

Kill off one of your most prominent black heroes, give his name and outfit to the icon of extremist cops everywhere.

No chance of this backfiring!

Didn't they replace "white" Iron Man with a Black Woman.
Now you are mad because they are replacing "Black" Iron Man with a white guy? In a comic that will be eventually retconned? Lets all take a deep breath people.

Top Bottom