• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Junipero (Black Mirror S03E04) might be my favorite episode of TV ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, the girlfriend and I watched two episodes of Black Mirror on Netflix. The second one was San Junipero, the fourth episode of the third season.

Man... it was so beautiful. Everything from the writing, the cinematography, the actresses' performances and the music. Everything was put together so well that the whole is better than the sum of its parts. It is poignant and touching and sad and sweet.

All you need to know before watching it is that it is a story about friendship and love between two women, set in the late eighties.

tumblr_ofkb88wYOy1s3pq17o6_540.gif

(yes, I'm totally going to use tumblr gifs because fuck you)

The episode totally nails the setting, more than many period pieces I've seen. You feel like you're there.

At the end of the episode, both my girlfriend and I were crying of joy. I don't know about her, but it was a first for me. I simply was not expecting this at all. It was such a breath of fresh air too, as most of the episodes of this show have soul-crushing stories. But not this one. It's as if the show's creator said "fuck it" and did a complete 180 to write something so opposite to what he's been doing so far.

tumblr_ofiw0wcit01qenrvwo2_r1_500.gif

As Black Mirror is purely an anthology series, there is no connection between this episode and any other one. You can safely watch it as your first episode of Black Mirror. I immensely recommend that you do. It's on Netflix. Go watch it. Right now.

The only thing I wish had been different about the episode is its length. I wanted it to be longer. In fact, this should have been a fucking two-hour feature film released in theatres.

I consciously titled this thread "my favorite episode" over "the best episode" because I don't want to compare it to other episodes. If we went all objectivity on it, I'm sure we'd find some stuff that does certain aspects better. But that does not matter. This episode spoke to me on a personal level like few things have, and that means a lot. I can't even imagine what some other people who could see themselves in the characters must have felt; it must have been exquisite.

tumblr_offf2nKn3Q1qg94hko4_540.gif

I don't want to talk about the story any more because it needs to be seen for yourself. It will move you and give you hope for the world. Unless you're some sort of monster.

Do yourself a favour and watch San Junipero.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's an absolutely wonderful episode of television.

"Shut Up And Dance" remains my favourite episode of the season, though. One of the most twisted, haunting stories I've ever experienced.

Trey

It's really good, one of the best episodes in the series.

That final shot is so bittersweet: it's quintessentially emblematic of Black Mirror's styling and themes.

also gugu mbatha-raw, whew

Even though it shouldn't come as a total surprise, the final shot of the episode is just amazing. Sparked a really interesting conversation between me and my wife.

Dominator

It's really good, but not even my favorite of the season. Shut Up and Dance takes that for me.

The Entire History of You is my favorite episode of the show. San Junipero is definitely on my top 5 episodes though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It was good. Didn't really like
her choice at the end.

I guess they always have
an out as mentioned on the show.

The question is: is the
mind fully uploaded to the mainframe, actually the person or a copy of them?

LakeEarth

Even though it shouldn't come as a total surprise, the final shot of the episode is just amazing. Sparked a really interesting conversation between me and my wife.

Indeed.

Though the implications is right in front of you for most of the episode, it takes the episode blasting "Heaven is a Place on Earth" with the juxtaposition of them dancing crossed with the scenes of the mechanical server room to really hit home what "San Junipero" basically is.

The only thing I wish had been different about the episode is its length. I wanted it to be longer. In fact, this should have been a fucking two-hour feature film released in theatres.

Couldn't agree more. It's one I'd happily watch over and over again.

And since I watched it right after Shut Up and Dance, it was a much needed relief, to have such a beautiful story, that isn't set in an
entirely
dystopic world.

People who haven't seen it absolutely need to

Sai-kun

Banned
I cried so much. It's so rare that queer people get happy endings on any TV show, so it was a really meaningful episode for me personally. Definitely my favorite and IMO the best.

By the end of the episode I realized my wife's hand had found mine and we were both silently crying. I think it is definitely my favorite episode of season 3, but I think part of that is identification. It is not often that you see
a same sex interracial relationship in popular culture that doesn't end with a magic bullet.

It was good. Didn't really like
her choice at the end.

I guess they always have
an out as mentioned on the show.

The question is: is the
mind fully uploaded to the mainframe, actually the person or a copy of them?

I don't think the show has any ambiguity there: it's the person. The ending of the episode seems to be clear to me: San Junipero is, quite literally, heaven on earth. People's bodies die, and they pass over to San Junipero. That they don't because a copy of them took their place would cast a dark shadow over the entire story that would be incongruent with the tone and joie-de-vivre imbued in the episode.

I cried so much. It's so rare that queer people get happy endings on any TV show, so it was a really meaningful episode for me personally. Definitely my favorite and IMO the best.

Absofuckinglutely

kai3345

Banned
Indeed.

Though the implications is right in front of you for most of the episode, it takes the episode blasting "Heaven is a Place on Earth" with the juxtaposition of them dancing crossed with the scenes of the mechanical server room to really hit home what "San Junipero" basically is.

It took you until the end to realize that?

As soon as she said
"How many of these people are dead?" I was like, "Oh, I guess they found a way to temporarily go to heaven or something"

Elandyll

Banned
I love that it's such a deeply layered conundrum, behind a
feel good
ending.

Basically,
the black woman chooses a feel good crush with immediate satisfaction, even with the very real possibility of eventually becoming a husk of a human being seeking cheap thrills as your existence is prolonged indefinitely, over the "possibility" of being reunited with her soul mate (whom she makes very clear is the love of her life) in a heaven/ after life there is no way of knowing is there, besides faith, as opposed to the demo of the digital after-life they are both doing.

Big societal, religious and tech implications all around.

That's why I love Black Mirror, and I just got my wife into it (we started with 15 million Merits, I thought episode 1 would be a bit too gross for her).

hidys

This is easily my favourite tv episode for the year. It was simply beautiful. I'm glad they decided to have a lighter episode mid-season.

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?

Fuchsdh

Eh, it was okay, but it was a terrible episode of Black Mirror specifically because it felt like they broke their "rules" to give the gay people a happy ending. Doesn't at all fit with the show's dark and cynical tone.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
It's my favorite episode of Black Mirror for sure. Was absolutely blown away. Watched it again the next day after seeing it for the first time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really liked the episode once I figured out what was going on. It almost made me wonder if they can download people's mind's into a computer simulation that they can act out their young lives forever why couldn't they just build machine interfaces that they could download their minds into so they could stay in the real world. Then again that wasn't really what the episode was about or focusing on but I did have that thought in the back of my head near the end.

Elandyll

Banned
Eh, it was okay, but it was a terrible episode of Black Mirror specifically because it felt like they broke their "rules" to give the gay people a happy ending. Doesn't at all fit with the show's dark and cynical tone.
You need to read what I wrote above.
It's much more nuanced than that, and even though it's nice to have a prominent gay relationship, as far as representation, the episode wasn't about that.

CloudWolf

I'm torn on this one. It's a great story and a great concept and it's executed perfectly, but it feels like the ending belonged in a completely different show.
I felt like the episode would've been stronger if the black girl tayed with her conviction regarding her husband and daughter instead of choosing for the other girl in the end, which would've been a perfect dark and bittersweet ending. Instead we got a feel-good ending, which doesn't make sense in a show built on heavy cynicism and exposing the dark sides of tech. I felt the same about the ending of Hated in the Nation, showing that that one girl was alive and tracked the hacker down was silly and didn't really belong in Black Mirror IMO.

OchreHand

Wonderful episode. I kept waiting for something
horrible to happen
since almost every episode prior conditioned you. Was pleasantly surprised.

Heaven On Earth was the perfect song choice. I think Don Henley's Boys of Summer could have worked too.

I really liked the episode once I figured out what was going on. It almost made me wonder if they can download people's mind's into a computer simulation that they can act out their young lives forever why couldn't they just build machine interfaces that they could download their minds into so they could stay in the real world. Then again that wasn't really what the episode was about or focusing on but I did have that thought in the back of my head near the end.

You should spoiler this, friend.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Eh, it was okay, but it was a terrible episode of Black Mirror specifically because it felt like they broke their "rules" to give
the gay people a happy ending

Spoiler tag that shit, dude!

Also, just in case you're implying the characters only got
a happy ending because they happened to be gay...Charlie Brooker has spoken in interviews about how in the original draft of the script, the two leads were originally supposed to be a heterosexual couple and that the story ended much the same way.

Amazing episode. Last scene with "Heaven is a Place on Earth" is transcendent. IMO, because it's Black Mirror and
you're expecting a dark/bleak ending, the happy ending hits even harder.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Eh, it was okay,
but it was a terrible episode of Black Mirror specifically because it felt like they broke their "rules" to give the gay people a happy ending. Doesn't at all fit with the show's dark and cynical tone.

I disagree, to me it has one of the darker endings in the series.

they're essentially "living" a lie. Their afterlife is in a server box. It's all fake. I think it fits right in with the Black Mirror lore.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I wish some posters wouldn't so fragrantly give away the nature of the ending considering some people in here likely haven't likely got the opportunity to watch the episode for themselves yet.

-griffy-

Banned
It's really good, a standout episode of TV for 2016, and the soundtrack to the episode by Clint Mansell is fantastic.

It's really good, but not even my favorite of the season. Shut Up and Dance takes that for me.

The Entire History of You is my favorite episode of the show. San Junipero is definitely on my top 5 episodes though.

Yup. Agreed on most counts. San Junipero is an episode that I appreciate more than I personally love. There are a couple episodes in season 3 that I prefer over it, even if they aren't as nuanced or delicate. And The Entire History of You still remains the best episode series-wide IMO.

Is it confirmed that the same technology used to make the cookies is also in this episode?

So in reality it
doesn't even matter and the decision to be put into San Jun only benefits the living, everyone else are just NPCs.

TuXx

San Junipero was one of my least favorite episodes of the season. Can't really understand why everyone loves it.

Fuchsdh

Spoiler tag that shit, dude!

Also, just in case you're implying the characters only got
a happy ending because they happened to be gay...Charlie Brooker has spoken in interviews about how in the original draft of the script, the two leads were originally supposed to be a heterosexual couple and that the story ended much the same way.

It doesn't really matter if it was a gay couple or not, it was the tone that was my issue. Black Mirror really isn't The Twilight Zone, no matter how much it wants to be, and that means it has to play by the rules it set, which are a lot more restrictive. "San Junipero" broke those terribly, and the episode doesn't work as a result.

You need to read what I wrote above.
It's much more nuanced than that, and even though it's nice to have a prominent gay relationship, as far as representation, the episode wasn't about that.

Judging by the comments in this thread, doesn't seem like many people came away with that impression.

I disagree, to me it has one of the darker endings in the series.

they're essentially "living" a lie. Their afterlife is in a server box. It's all fake. I think it fits right in with the Black Mirror lore.

Everyone's cognizant of that, though. There's some discussion about the nature of the afterlife and whether this "shortcuts" it, but it's pretty much treated as a good thing. I suppose you could say it's humanistic in that "if heaven did not exist mankind would invent it" kind of way, but again that's clashing with the message of the rest of the show.

Kgamer314

Neo Member
I absolutely loved the episode except for the very ending. I knew it would happen, but it didn't really make sense that
Gugu Mbatha-Raw decides to stay in the simulation. In the previous scene she has a diatribe against doing it as it would be a betrayal to her daughter and husband and she felt she needed to follow them into nothingness. But then she does anyway for the sake of the happy ending.
I mean, that was the story they were telling and I'm OK with it, but it's another weak ending from season 3.

Makonero

It doesn't really matter if it was a gay couple or not, it was the tone that was my issue. Black Mirror really isn't The Twilight Zone, no matter how much it wants to be, and that means it has to play by the rules it set, which are a lot more restrictive. "San Junipero" broke those terribly, and the episode doesn't work as a result.

Judging by the comments in this thread, doesn't seem like many people came away with that impression.

Everyone's cognizant of that, though. There's some discussion about the nature of the afterlife and whether this "shortcuts" it, but it's pretty much treated as a good thing. I suppose you could say it's humanistic in that "if heaven did not exist mankind would invent it" kind of way, but again that's clashing with the message of the rest of the show.

What "rules" are you talking about? Black Mirror is an anthology that looks at technology and how it affects us. That's it. As others have mentioned, there is a lot of darkness if you don't accept the episode at face value if that is the rule you're assuming exists.

Auctopus

It's pretty good but its subtext compared to the rest of the season (bar the Resident Evil-ish one) is pretty thin.

I will say "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" made for one of the most beautiful moments of the series. Such perfect use of a song.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I wish some posters wouldn't so fragrantly give away the nature of the ending considering some people in here likely haven't likely got the opportunity to watch the episode for themselves yet.
Why would someone read a thread about a specific episode of a show and expect it to be spoiler-free? But fine, I'll be nice:

I liked it, but the ending didn't really feel earned. What made Kelly change her mind? For storytelling purposes, I would've liked a turning point of sorts. But maybe the ambiguity was intentional. Either way, I don't really think it was a completely happy ending.

Fury451

Banned
It was good, and it seems to be introducing new people to the series, so that's a positive, but I don't think it was even the strongest episode the season had to offer, much less of the series. Which isn't a negative either considering the top shelf quality.

I guess it didn't really resonate with me like it seems to for many, but the general plot was fairly good, and the performances were excellent.

Comparatively, I liked Men Against Fire more, and that seems to be the episode people dislike the most with season 3.

Undefined

This one and 15 Million Merits are my favourites of this show. They're really thought-provoking.
But all of them are really good. I highly recommend this show.

Sethista

best hour of anything I saw, ever. All the impllications kept hitting me way after I saw it.

Imagine the terror, in 10 years she will be bored, and they an decide to opt out, but that is basically euthanasia.

Something hinted was the plane seen in the end, may hint to the software being updated to add more locations, so eventually you could travel the world inside the simulation, and that would help with the feeling of living the same thing.

Imagine the expansions they can have, radical sports, educational stuff, like learning to fly planes, things like that...

Another thing, for those who watched only lovers left alive, the 2 main characters are
also immortal and they live far from each other decades at a time
, so maybe this is something they can think about doing also?

I could go on. amazing episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom