• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Digital Graphic Novel Sale at Amazon

KDC720

Heard good things about the Matt Fraction runs of Iron Fist and Hawkeye so I'm eyeing those.

Recommendations on Spider-Man stuff? Is Spider Gwen any good? It looks neat.

Dr.Social

Banned
Any recommendations for a superhero novice? I get lost on all the numbers/series run. What do I need to know, what's important, etc.? Not a huge fan of the movies but I think I'd enjoy them in comic form way more. I've read a couple of the Justice League and Batman ones in the past, the new 52 serues, since they seemed like a fresh start. Everyone is saying the Vision is good and I love the art on the covers. Is it newbie friendly?

Grabbing up the Star Wars titles for sure.

Hawkeye Vol.1 - 4 and Immortal Iron Fist Vol. 1 - 3 are great and easy to get into.

Altazor

A couple of questions:

-How's the Ta-Nehisi Coates BP run?
-Is there any recommended/essential tie-in for Secret Wars, or just the main storyline should suffice?
-Are the Darth Vader comics good? If so, any other good* Star Wars comics apart from that one? If not, which comics are good?
-Can you recommend me (apart from Vision) some mostly self-contained stuff from there?

A couple of questions:

-Is there any recommended/essential tie-in for Secret Wars, or just the main storyline should suffice?
-Are the Darth Vader comics good? If so, any other good* Star Wars comics apart from that one? If not, which comics are good?
-Can you recommend me (apart from Vision) some mostly self-contained stuff from there?

To answer the Secret Wars question (assuming you are asking about the newest Secret War event), the New Avengera rum was pretty essential to it, at least as a prelude. Look for the Volumes that say Avengers: Time Runs Out.

Altazor

To answer the Secret Wars question (assuming you are asking about the newest Secret War event), the New Avengera rum was pretty essential to it, at least as a prelude. Look for the Volumes that say Avengers: Time Runs Out.

yeah, was talking about the newest Secret Wars. Will keep that in mind, thanks!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yeah, was talking about the newest Secret Wars. Will keep that in mind, thanks!

Secret Wars is the culmination of Hickman's run on New Avengers & Avengers (two books that take place concurrently)

the whole thing will probably cost you like $25 here and it'll be a steal at that price

hamchan

Bought series that aren't available on Marvel Unlimited like Alias and Punisher MAX.

Anyone know any other series that aren't available on MU?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
God Loves, Man Kills for 80 cents. I said damn.

Are any of the ones on sale not in Marvel Unlimited worth grabbing?
I mean...I already give them 10 bucks a month lol

They look a lot better on Comixology. Plus you may not always have Unlimited.

jon bones

thanks for the info!

not a problem - i think the rough order is:

Avengers vol 1: Avengers World
New Avengers vol 1: Everything Dies
Avengers vol 2: The Last White Event
Infinity (this books should include Avengers vol 3 & 4)
New Avengers vol 3 Other Worlds
Avengers vol 5: Adapt or Die
Avengers vol 6: Infinite Avengers
New Avengers vol 4: A Perfect World
Avengers: Time Runs Out vol 1-4
Secret Wars
it's an intense, wild ride. very dense with a sprawling scope.

Heard good things about the Matt Fraction runs of Iron Fist and Hawkeye so I'm eyeing those.

Recommendations on Spider-Man stuff? Is Spider Gwen any good? It looks neat.

both are very fun books and benefit greatly from being 100% self contained

TehOh

I've only read the first two, but I thought they were quite good. I actually don't read many Star Wars tie-ins, but I really like other books by Kieron Gillen.

Picked up volumes 3-4 in this sale.

not a problem - i think the rough order is:

Avengers vol 1: Avengers World
New Avengers vol 1: Everything Dies
Avengers vol 2: The Last White Event
Infinity (this books should include Avengers vol 3 & 4)
New Avengers vol 3 Other Worlds
Avengers vol 5: Adapt or Die
Avengers vol 6: Infinite Avengers
New Avengers vol 4: A Perfect World
Avengers: Time Runs Out vol 1-4
Secret Wars

it's an intense, wild ride. very dense with a sprawling scope.

both are very fun books and benefit greatly from being 100% self contained

Also, to be quite honest, if you are gonna go ahead and read through his Avengers run in order to read Secret Wars, you really ought to go ahead and read Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation run as well. Secret Wars ties in just as much to that run as it ties into his Avengers/New Avengers run. I would also wholeheartedly recommend his FF run just by itself, it's definitely one of my favorite runs ever.

Sandfox

Picked up:
Vision vol 2
Waid and Samnee Black Widow vol 2
Soule Daredevil vol 1-3
Walker Nighthawk
Fraction and Allred FF

Was waiting to check out Silver Surfer and Thor by Jason Aaron so I grabbed them. I think I have most of the Marvel stuff I want now.

If you didn't already, make sure to get Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. Easily one of the best Marvel runs.

jon bones

Also, to be quite honest, if you are gonna go ahead and read through his Avengers run in order to read Secret Wars, you really ought to go ahead and read Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation run as well. Secret Wars ties in just as much to that run as it ties into his Avengers/New Avengers run. I would also wholeheartedly recommend his FF run just by itself, it's definitely one of my favorite runs ever.

honestly i would recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four over Avengers/New Avengers.

his FF run is my single favorite comic book run of all time. a work of art, through and through.

honestly i would recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four over Avengers/New Avengers.

his FF run is my single favorite comic book run of all time. a work of art, through and through.

You may not hear this often, but you should. You sir are a genius and have impeccable taste. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fhtagn

I used Marvel Unlimited to read something like 300 comics before I read Secret Wars 2015. I caught up on all of Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF & Avengers/New Avengers runs, read all of Ultimate Spider-Man start to finish (so this was over 100 issues of what I read), a bunch of Ultimate Universe context...

And damn, it was worth the time and effort.

You could just read up on what leads up to it, or even just read it on it's own and allow yourself to just know that the universe such as it is went through a real cataclysm, but it's one of the biggest and best epics in Marvel history and really paid off years of context.

I've been picking up the collected volumes when sales like this pop up, because I know I'm going to read it again some day.

I used this guide, and read the core stuff and the stuff that seemed interesting enough.
http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/secret-wars-reading-order/

But if you want to cut to the chase, I recommend the Time Runs Out volumes that collect the Avengers and New Avengers issues leading right up to it as a bare minimum for people who want some context.

And for the longer haul, you can go read all of Hickman's Fantastic Four and see that he'd been planning this a long, long time (for a modern comic event at least.)

Bought vision volume 1. Squirrel girl is worth it? How funny are we talking...?

Squirrel Girl is very funny and charming.

I suggest starting Vision 1 tonight because it's such a self-contained story that you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't have the second half and don't want to spend more than $2.20 on it. (I dunno when this sale ends but can't imagine it'll be long)

jon bones

damn... yeah, looks like I'll have to read through lots of Hickman's stuff, heh.

Thanks everybody!

no problem! i am happy to recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four - it is a wonderful story about a family at it's core (which is why i also love The Vision so much).

but it also has the benefit of being a wonderfully paced and brilliantly plotted cosmic story.

the reading order is:

Fantastic Four: Dark Reign
F4 vol 1
F4 vol 2
F4 vol 3
F4 vol 4
FF vol 1
FF vol 2
F4 vol 5 **
FF vol 3 **
FF vol 4
F4 vol 6

this takes place during F4 vol 5 - you will need to flip back and forth ,one issue of F4, one of FF . it's a little cumbersome the way the digital trades are set up here but it's so worth it

Bernbaum

Filled in the gaps in the new Star Wars titles, got a bunch of 80's/90's Xmen stuff and a few random titles I've had my eyes on.

'Curiosity' purchases included the trades for Ms Marvel. Might get some FF and Vision stuff based on the recommendations here, but I already have a tonne of stuff to read.

jon bones

Filled in the gaps in the new Star Wars titles, got a bunch of 80's/90's Xmen stuff and a few random titles I've had my eyes on.

'Curiosity' purchases included the trades for Ms Marvel. Might get some FF and Vision stuff based on the recommendations here, but I already have a tonne of stuff to read.

Ms Marvel, FF and The Vision are all must reads. i know you have a lot, but those 3 are greatest of all time tier comics.

fatpathy

Neo Member
Is there a way to buy more than 1 at a time? I only have an option for 1-click for each. Would rather just put a bunch in the basket and checkout 1 time.

Curious about this as well, I didn't see any way personally though. Has anyone had any issues with banks locking out their cards due to multiple purchases? I saw that issue a lot during the XBOX BC sale and would prefer for that not to happen cause there are a lot of books I'd love to pick up!

Ponn

Banned
Ugh, don't need to be spending money right now. Going to pick up the Astonishing X-men Whedon run (been waiting for hardcover reprints on them but at this price I can live with digital) and New X-Men Morrison run. Support your Mutants!! I'm really happy they got those recent ultimate collections of Excalibur and X-Factor on there as well so going to pick them up. Going to round out with Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales Spider-Man volumes and Champions, was really wanting to read that one since it was announced.

A couple of questions:

I'm still really enjoying Coates' BP run. It's a slow burner but it juggles some interesting ideas.

Vader was great and well worth reading. Larroca's art is the main problem people have with it but I found it OK for the most part. The main SW book is more inconsistent but I'd stil pick up the first few trades and see what you think. Out of the mini-series' that I can see, Lando is the best but I liked Han too and Kanan's worth it if you watch Rebels.

J_Viper

Hmm, got an email that I'm eligible for a free Marvel graphic novel Kindle download from a purchase I made.

I'm guessing the discount is applied automatically?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Hmm, got an email that I'm eligible for a free Marvel graphic novel Kindle download from a purchase I made.

I'm guessing the discount is applied automatically?

It's the one you get from ordering a physical book, right? Yeah it's applied automatically.

OmegaX

How do I buy these comics? I'm on the Amazon page for Ms. Marvel Vol 1, I click on the 1-click buy button, it redirects me to another page telling me to choose a Kindle device, but the combobox only has one option "Deliver to: Kindle Cloud Reader", which is greyed out. I can't continue from this step.
Must I own a Kindle device? I merged my comixology account to Amazon because I thought I'd be able to read comics bought from Amazon using the Comixology app on Android.

J_Viper

It's the one you get from ordering a physical book, right? Yeah it's applied automatically.

Must be for digital too since I haven't ordered anything physical, but I'll surely take advantage. Thanks for clearing that up!

Went ahead and got the Moon Knight epic collection since it seems to be the most "expensive" item on sale.

Never read anything from him, but I always liked his design

DumbNameD

You can get all four volumes of Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther for $23 total. Or $17 if you get the "free digital graphic novel" promotional email from buying something like Volume 2 of Priest's BP and then use your free comic on Volume 1.

Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek's Marvels is also $3.20.

Ponn

Banned
One suggestion for those that have been loving the AoS tv show is Secret Warriors by Hickman. Cannot recommend that enough and they are like $2 a volume, that is such a fucking steal.

Got all the new canon Star Wars stuff, as well as Vision. Total spent was probably about $30? Good fuckin deal.

Too bad my kindle library is a complete mess now though. Was trying to keep it just books, and comics just on comixology, but his sale was too good to maintain that course.

But you can download these through either kindle app or comiXology? Since amazon bought comiXology.

Yes. These all were immediately available to download in Comixology.
Yeah I like the comiXology zoom/swipe better on the iPad than the kindle app style.

Edit- ok I bought:

Black panther
Vision
Marvel 1602 (Neil Gaiman is awesome, so I figured I'd check it out)

What else does GAF recommend?

steveovig

I've been wanting to read Iron Man:Demon in a Bottle for a while. I read one of the reviews on Amazon and it said the realistic depiction of Iron Man like the above is seen in other issues besides the ones in this TPB. Can anyone fill me in as to which ones I should look out for? I kinda dig the notion of a more realistic superhero who has faults.

Killua

I've heard that Ennis involvement in Punisher Max stopped at Volume 4.
For those of you who read the whole Punisher Max series, is volume 5 worth reading?

Psykoboy2

Going nuts here.

Vision 1 & 2
Punisher MAX All 5
Spider-Verse
God Loves Man Kills
Hawkeye
Iron-Fist
Superior Spider-Man All 6
Thanos Quest
Silver Surfer Requiem

What else should I be going for here?