• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

kaskade

I've been running the beta for a while so I'm just excited to see the influx of updated apps today. Drag and drop updates are going to be great.

I’ve been on the GM since Thursday and also installed WatchOS 4 on my first gen Apple Watch. Battery life is extremely similar on both from iOS 10 and Watch OS 3. Only difference I’ve seen so far is that my Apple Watch is obviously showing its age and from time to time the animations on my iPhone 7 Plus stutter. Other than that, the update is pretty solid but I’m disappointed that iMessages on iCloud didn’t make it or P2P Apple Pay.

Oh, I am seeing some minor bugs here and there from time to time but they’re not OS breaking bugs.

hEist

got the gm ob my iPhone 7 since last week. Runs good, but I had like 2-3 hard locks so far (only swipe up/down/lock reacted, everything else were dead), so I had to hard reboot. Hopefully they find the problem.

I'm surprised it's compatible with every iPad, all the way back to the beginning. I hope my gen 4 can handle it. It's already running sluggish all the time these days.

EDIT: Oh, I misread the graphic in the OP. Bummer!

colinp

Banned
Got the GM on my 6S+ last week and it’s been running like a dream.

Only complaint is deleting apps seems a bit sluggish as mentioned before.

Love being able to update apps from a different countries account without logging in to said account and instead just throwing in the password.

br3wnor

Been running the beta on my iPad Pro for a month now, absolutely thrilled w/ the changes. Still not quite a laptop in terms of usability, but for what I need it to do at work it’s perfect, much more functional now.

Look forward to getting the official releases on my SE now as well.

Fliesen

Have to use a third-party app. Google doesn't want to allow PiP.

Yeah, i got 'youplayer' or something like that. But that one doesn't remember where i left off with certain videos and offers an overall worse experience.

btw, seeing as we're getting this
GGY2mVl.png
in iOS 11, does anyone know if we're getting the same feature in High Sierra?

Prior to me doing a clean format of my macbook's SSD, my messages app had built up attachments of over 7gigs that i had to manually remove by looking for movie, image and other files via the search function in finder.

arab

Yeah, i got 'youplayer' or something like that. But that one doesn't remember where i left off with certain videos and offers an overall worse experience.

btw, seeing as we're getting this

in iOS 11, does anyone know if we're getting the same feature in High Sierra?

Prior to me doing a clean format of my macbook's SSD, my messages app had built up attachments of over 7gigs that i had to manually remove by looking for movie, image and other files via the search function in finder.

In the preferences of messages, you can choose to keep messages forever, for 1 year, or for 30 days. as far as automatically deleting a current backlog of messages, i am not sure.

Ryne

Still fighting over what ipad to get, the pro is 500 more but looks so good.

I just want to surf the web in bed and watch videos.

Fliesen

In the preferences of messages, you can choose to keep messages forever, for 1 year, or for 30 days. as far as automatically deleting a current backlog of messages, i am not sure.

Oh, that's cool - seeing as my backlog is only ~3 months old, this should do fine.

this feature had existed on iOS for a year now, but there hadn't been any kind of manual purge - if you really needed that extra space.

Seeing as my iPhone 7 actually has more storage than my macbook, and i barely do any video editing or photoshopping on the former, i don't mind keeping around messages 'forever' on the phone. On the macbook, those extra gigs really add up.

Face Data syncing via iCloud is so good and so important.
It's rather ridiculous that we have iCloud photo libraries, yet 'organizing' pictures by face was something you needed to do on each individual device (or you just did it on your mac, yet never had the photos sorted on your iPhone)

I really just want a non-shit search for Messages. It's so terrible that it's kind of loops around to being impressively bad. Here's hoping iCloud sync helps that.

jts

...hate me...
I've had it for about a week. More on iPad, including the public betas.

Good improvements (great on iPad) but the battery is taking a hit on my 6s+. Could be just a calibration issue though, need more time to figure it out.

Wait, sweet new wallpapers I'm just checking out now. Classic earth is back? Cool!

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think that one thing that bothers me is the fact that you can translate English to several other languages, but you cannot translate those languages into English. I was bummed I couldn't translate Despacito =(

jts

...hate me...
Anyway to force the update, or do we have to wait for it to be pushed to our devices?

You can enroll for the beta software program which has been pushing iOS 11 final for a week now.

Might as well wait a couple of hours but it's your choice.

emag

Is there a good resource for what, if anything, ios 11 does on older devices?

The Ars review covers what features are unavailable in older devices (it's largely what you'd expect given missing hardware elements). A more detailed performance review should be up soon, too.

Krakatoa

You can enroll for the beta software program which has been pushing iOS 11 final for a week now.

Might as well wait a couple of hours but it's your choice.

Thanks, I'll wait for them to push it. Was hoping maybe ITunes would force it :)

giga

Thanks for that.

Don't like some design decisions AT ALL. So much wasted space with those big headers.

Interesting to see, that they still care about the Podcast app, too little too late though.

Any way to convert existing photos and videos? Would save so much space.
It would be a lossy conversion so I don't recommend it.

jts

...hate me...
Thanks, I'll wait for them to push it. Was hoping maybe ITunes would force it :)
Oh yeah, that's also another choice, but you'll have to find a source for iOS 11 GM for your device. Once downloaded to your computer you can force it to your device via iTunes.

Also seems more of a hassle than it's worth at this point :p

SuperPac

Curious to see what people think of Do Not Disturb While Driving. I think it's a great feature/reminder that we shouldn't be using our phones while at the wheel, but it would have been nice to make navigation apps easier to invoke while driving.

Top Bottom