• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I hope that's true. That name is incredibly tacky. I love it.

Just thinking about the use cases makes me giddy.
"Should I play this on the UltraGear or the PIMAX?"
It's like a 90s science fiction B-movie.

I know right? It's kind of cyberpunk.

Is this coming this year? Is any kind of release date or price estimate known?

They originally said it was coming this year, but it's looking more and more likely that it will be next year. No price estimates or even final specs confirmed yet, but most signs point to it being a slightly better specced version of the Vive so I'd expect that price range.

b0bbyJ03

Bought Lone Echo, graphics are outstanding. It did take a lot of messing about to get it smooth in ReVive.

I hope the story peaks though. I've just got outside and feels like I've been running errands for the last couple of hours.

I just got a vive and i'm thinking about picking up Lone Echo (I picked up the multiplayer portion since it was free). What did you have to do to make it smooth if you don't mind me asking?

Zalusithix

VR Roundtable stress testing Windows MR controllers
https://youtu.be/NseJvTx-6SA?t=48

This limitation feels super unappealing to me. Just feels like a cost trade off they made to not have the sensors to do coverage from behind.
I stand behind my original assessment that the Windows MR headsets are geared towards content creation and consumption, not gaming. Sure they'll be able to do basic gaming, but like PSVR, there's significant limitations due to tracking occlusion. Some of the interactions we take for granted in Vive/Rift space simply aren't going to be possible with the MR systems. If VR gaming is an interest for the buyer, I see zero reasons to get a Windows MR headset over a Rift/Vive. Especially given the price reductions on the Rift front.

It doesn't.
It would be hard to use smartphone since the image is displayed in "tron mode"
TronMode.jpg

But maybe it can be switched? The camera can definitely display "normal" image, but I only managed to get this normal image as a PIP window glued to the controller.
Even if you did get the normal image larger than the couple inch preview on the controller, the resolution wouldn't be enough to do anything meaningful with. Tron mode is equal parts trying to look cool and attempting to hide the low resolution/IQ of the front facing camera. It's woefully inadequate for anything like operating a cellphone. Even if it *was* high enough resolution on the camera end, the Vive's display resolution isn't capable of actually conveying that information properly.

Frankly for something like cellphone interaction, we'd be better off with a VR overlay interfacing remotely with the cellphone via BT. HTC tried doing something like this, but in typical HTC fashion, I read about nothing but problems on the software side of things. Properly done though, it makes a lot of sense. You already have a headset on with a mic and headphones. Just pipe the calls/texts directly into VR without the need to fumble for the phone in the first place.

Looks like the LG headset might be called the LG UltraGear.
Better than the EZ-VR moniker from the original preview, but still horrible for a product name if you're trying to be taken seriously. This isn't the 90s anymore.

Sorry for asking about this again but I'm having a hard time finding information about this on the internet. It's about Rift compatibility and configuration for SteamVR:

1) Can you adjust the angle of your in-game controller so that it matches the angle of your IRL Touch controller? (since Vive and Rift have different controller grip angles)

2) Can you take advantage of the ability to detect whether your thumb is on the analog stick to simulate a touchpad press just by putting your finger on it, instead of actually clicking on it?

Compatibility going forward is pretty much my number 1 concern right now and so far the only Rift game I like is Robo Recall, so I'm more concerned about games on Steam. Dat price tag tho...

Sorry for asking about this again but I'm having a hard time finding information about this on the internet. It's about Rift compatibility and configuration for SteamVR:

1) Can you adjust the angle of your in-game controller so that it matches the angle of your IRL Touch controller? (since Vive and Rift have different controller grip angles)

2) Can you take advantage of the ability to detect whether your thumb is on the analog stick to simulate a touchpad press just by putting your finger on it, instead of actually clicking on it?

Compatibility going forward is pretty much my number 1 concern right now and so far the only Rift game I like is Robo Recall, so I'm more concerned about games on Steam. Dat price tag tho...
If a particular Steam game has a bad controller angle on Rift, that’s a problem with that game’s developer and they need to fix it, not something that should be adjusted by the user. Same with touchpad/stick control issues. OpenVR allows developers to target multiple VR headsets, it isn’t a hack that just allows Rift to play Steam games.

Lakuza

steamvr will switch the controllers in vr to rift controllers, most games (if not all) should also do the same thing so you dont need to worry about it. Multiplayer games like rec room, gunheart etc are also cross platform so both rift and steam players can play together regardless of where you buy it from.

Also there are some really good games on the oculus store that aren't on steam like
chronos, lone echo + echo arena and mages tale

So, I have my Occulus Rift set up quite well and easy to use, but I still don't use it much. But I want to! I think the reason is the high price point for a lot of the games, and the fact that many of them are "experiences" that sometimes are very short considering the price. It's especially bad since a lot of the games I'm interested in are Oculus exclusive, and Oculus doesn't have a refund option.

What is your approach to VR software? Do you buy a lot, or just play what you already have many times? How many games do you allow yourself to buy? How do you even rationalize spending like 40 dollars on games that last a couple of hours?

I'm not really of fan of boiling it down to dollars per minute, but I'm spoiled after not really paying more than 40 dollars for any game on PC the last couple of years. And I'm not exactly rolling in cash.
This is actually a thing that's under-communicated, even if the VR headsets are cheaper now, and you already have a PC, you actually need a decent amount of expendable income to just try out some stuff since the games are expensive and there are few demos. The included games are decent with Oculus, but didn't last me long.

Necro900

So, are glasses really that hard to fit inside a Rift? These are my glasses.
I can't use contact lenses and I'd like to keep the HMD as accessible to everyone as possible, so adapters or special lenses are out of the question. Should I consider a Vive instead?

They look like they’d be fine; my glasses fit fine and were comfortable, they just stayed in the headset when I took it off. What I would do is if your glasses were too big, get a cheap $25 pair of glasses from like Zenni Optical just for VR, with as thin a frame as possible.

Lakuza

So, I have my Occulus Rift set up quite well and easy to use, but I still don't use it much. But I want to! I think the reason is the high price point for a lot of the games, and the fact that many of them are "experiences" that sometimes are very short considering the price. It's especially bad since a lot of the games I'm interested in are Oculus exclusive, and Oculus doesn't have a refund option.

What is your approach to VR software? Do you buy a lot, or just play what you already have many times? How many games do you allow yourself to buy? How do you even rationalize spending like 40 dollars on games that last a couple of hours?

I'm not really of fan of boiling it down to dollars per minute, but I'm spoiled after not really paying more than 40 dollars for any game on PC the last couple of years. And I'm not exactly rolling in cash.
This is actually a thing that's under-communicated, even if the VR headsets are cheaper now, and you already have a PC, you actually need a decent amount of expendable income to just try out some stuff since the games are expensive and there are few demos. The included games are decent with Oculus, but didn't last me long.

You're not looking hard enough for the actual long games then, because theres plenty available.
  • Chronos(oculus store only) - VR dark souls type game.Lasts about 15-20 hours on hard mode(recommended difficulty if you have played souls games, on normal you will finish the game too quick)
  • Mages Tale(oculus store only) - 10 hour single player dungeon crawler game (rpg with mage spells). Tons of secrets to find in all the locations. Story is weak but the gameplay is quite rewarding where you can stumble on to an entirely new part of a dungon that was hidden behind an optional environment puzzle.
  • Lone Echo(Oculus store only) - One of the best vr games out there right now. Its a zero gravity adventure game with light puzzle elements and alot of space walking. I completed the game in 9 hours but missed a bunch of the collectibles. I didn't rush through it as there are discoverable side missions if you explore areas you arent meant to go to.
  • Gunheart (early access) - I played this game exclusively for 2 weeks (about 2-3 hours per day). select missions > earn in game currency > spend on new weapons and upgrades. Missions are varied and can be played in co-op (supports 3 player co-op for every mission). Its getting updated every month, recently they added a loot system where enemies drop gun mods.
  • Raw Data - 10 missions (that take about 20-40 mins each. 4 completely different characters to play as (they play completely different) so if you enjoy the game, you'll most likely play the games campaign 4 times to upgrade and experience the 4 characters (katana, pistols, bow+arrow, shotgun+punching with huge metal fists)
  • From Other Suns (comes out mid November) on oculus store only- I played it during the open beta weekend for around 5-6 hours total and was still seeing new missions and weapons and items, the beta was also super limited in the missions it gave (i think the devs mentioned that the beta only had like 10-20% of the final games content). I can be played with 2 other players online too, your goal is to get back to earth whilst managing your crew, shooting down on other ships (like star trek vr game) and visiting other ships and stations with fps gameplay. Can't wait for this one :D
  • Talos Principle VR - heard great things about this one, never played it but adding it to the list since the steam reviews have a large amount of hours on them.
  • Arktika.1(oculus store only) - this one lasts around 7-8 hours (fps game from devs of metro). I haven't played it yet but it does have mixed reactions (some say its not good, some say its amazing. all reviews were great for it but its whether or not you can trust review sites).

Then theres arcade like games that can give you countless hours if you're into playing games that dont have a story or are high score based:

• Soundboxing (steam store only) - if you enjoy music rhythm games, this can last you a really long time. I've clocked around 60 hours on this as i play it daily. It relies on user generated beatmaps, so for me its great since i enjoy creating them for others to try out.
  • audioshield (steam store only) - similar to soundboxing (i've clocked 15 hours only though) but it autogenerates a beatmap to songs on your computer or on youtube.
  • Superhot - I've played this over 5 hours atleast, never gets old. Its a different game to normal superhot (the stages are designed entirely for vr).
  • Robo Recall ( oculus store only) - If you're the type of person who plays a mission once and progresses to the final mission and then stop after seeing the end, this game is short (but its free for oculus users). Each mission has score rating and optional objectives that can extend the life of the game + its awesome.

Multiplayer games that can be long based on your experiences (like if you find people to play with or enjoy the social aspects):
  • Rec Room - constantly updated and has some fun, cute "mini campaigns" such as a medievil adventure or a sci fi fps campaign. Also has competitive modes like paintball.
  • Echo Arena (oculus store only)- awesome multiplayer game, basically a zero gravity version of blitzball from final fantasy X.
  • Onward (steam store only right now, but its coming on oculus store either this month or next) - amazing fps military combat sim. has both co-op modes and online modes.

Can't think of anymore right now, I know i missed a lot though, but that should give you a decent amount of games to check.

If a new game lasts only 3-4 hours I don't buy it. As a result I didn't buy killing floor or arizona sunshine for example. I tend to play the singleplayer campaign, complete it and move on to the next. I rarely replay a campaign unless its like a goty worthy game or if theres incentive to play multiple times (like with raw data). Since i'm not the only rift user in my house, I do take that into account. If a 2-3 hour game is a must buy, I can justify the price since I know that the game will be played by others too.

Online games and arcade games are different though where they are perfect for times when I can only play for like 30 mins or an hour, I can just jump in and play for quick sessions so they last me a while as a result.

So, are glasses really that hard to fit inside a Rift? These are my glasses.
I can't use contact lenses and I'd like to keep the HMD as accessible to everyone as possible, so adapters or special lenses are out of the question. Should I consider a Vive instead?

Check the discussion above and on the last page, some people use the headset fine with glasses but you need to be really careful you dont scratch the lenses. The prescription lenses do not replace the rift ones, I believe they are placed over them, so you can remove them when not using them.

Oculus do refunds now. Under 2 hours playtime and within 14 days from time of purchase
https://www.oculus.com/legal/rift-content-refund-policy/

I have only had my rift under 2 months so I can't say lack of content has been a problem for me at all but I have already managed to create a fair backlog of games just picking up games on sale. My problem is not having enough time to play the games I own.
I would suggest keeping an eye on this subreddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vrgamedeals/

Also pick up Echo Arena ASAP if you have not got it because it stops being free some time today

Durante

Since we are talking about games, I guess I'll mention Airtone again.

I feel like it's one of the most polished and content-rich VR games I never hear anyone mentioning.

Still waiting to get into the Sprint Vector Beta :(

Hunter, my man, hook me up.

I had a ton of fun with it at PAX, and the guys there. Honestly, I spent almost half my time at PAX at that booth. Not half bad exercise either.

Zalusithix

Since we are talking about games, I guess I'll mention Airtone again.

I feel like it's one of the most polished and content-rich VR games I never hear anyone mentioning.

Not really the ideal topic for game discussion, but yeah, it's certainly one of the best and doesn't rely on the crutches of user generated content or algorithmic beat-map generation. Unfortunately I don't think it sold anywhere near what the devs were hoping. Still doesn't have the DLC, and I've pretty much given up hope at this point that we'll see it in the future.

Bebpo

Banned
Without knowing what you play on PSVR, I'm guessing you haven't tried much software based around VR motion controllers. It's a very different experience and often one that avoids the simulation sickness risks you see in a lot of PSVR games and DK2-era stuff. I'd be surprised if Talos Principle made you sick using the default movement options, for instance.

Actually, even with teleport movement PS VR games make me feel like awful. It's just so claustrophobic having a big headset pressed to your head for hours at a time that when it comes off it's like finally some fresh air and feels instantly better. It's fine in small doses but I can't do more than like 30 mins at a time. For whatever reason VR has never really clicked with me. I love the immersion and I've played some cool stuff between Rift DK2 and PS VR but in the end when I wanted to play something full length like RE7, after a couple of hours playing it in VR I just switched to non-VR and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more just playing it like a normal videogame.

Even though I'm more on board with the fully immersive VR than AR tech, for someone like me I may end up preferring AR if all it takes is some (eventually) lightweight glasses vs a giant heavy headset on your head the whole time.

To be fair I haven't tried anything VR since RE7 came out back in January, so it's possible some of the newer software would be more pleasant. At some point I want to pick up some new stuff and give it a try to see how the quality of VR software experiences have improved since launch era.

SomTervo

We just released our (Oculus functional) VR survival horror adventure Organ Quarter, it's about 5-8 hours for $20 currently. We actually wanted to help fill the exact gap in the market you're describing - actual, complete adventures you play in VR.

There are loads of other long experiences, but more importantly, there are loads of highly replayable and high quality experiences. IMO those factors knock up the value proposition for VR. But of course it's subjective.

Keihart

Do most VR games run ok on a rx580? i have a gtx1060 mini wich has 3 gigs of ram so i'm thinking i might be short there.

My processor is a i7 6700k and 16gigs of ram so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

(i'm looking at buying that oculus bundle at 399 on amazon with the controllers )

Cimarron

Do most VR games run ok on a rx580? i have a gtx1060 mini wich has 3 gigs of ram so i'm thinking i might be short there.

My processor is a i7 6700k and 16gigs of ram so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

(i'm looking at buying that oculus bundle at 399 on amazon with the controllers )

You should be OK on low settings. Trying to play Elite Dangerous on Ultra would bring your rig to its knees though.

If folks are looking for a fun co-op shooter I suggest Gunheart. It's like a rough VR Destiny. :p I had some great times playing it last night.

Keihart

awesome, i just caved and ordered the oculus bundle, the new price is pretty accesible, it's even cheapier than PSVR in my country if i order from amazon US.

Now to patiently wait...robo recall looks so awesome

Khar00f

Neo Member
awesome, i just caved and ordered the oculus bundle, the new price is pretty accesible, it's even cheapier than PSVR in my country if i order from amazon US.

Black Friday weekend it's supposed to be 50$ cheaper.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Robo recall is worth it

Darko

That big screen app is amazing, been watching only the most legal material (netflix) with my friends in the virtual theater with full voice chat..not to mention i can browse the web on a second virtual screen at the same time.. sucks its limited to 4 people, but it even works for 3d movies and you can change the seat you are in the theater. Ive been using that virtual desktop app but this is much better.

Probly old news but i thought it was cool.

Keihart

Lone Echo is so freaking dope, its like one of the hardest sci fi boners i've had. I'm gonna wait for the third sensor to arrive to keep playing it tho.

Also, i'm usually pretty lenient with performance and IQ on games in a regular screen but in VR they are really the most important part of graphics for me, i'm actually starting to consider making space on my wallet for a 1070ti or better because i want to super sample and play on high graphics.

elmalloc

Just got my TPCast working last night. Took at least 3 support chats with TPCast, thankfully they're very responsive online. Has one or two random glitches every now and then but otherwise works as advertised. Wireless HTC Vive.

I'm also super sampling with the GTX1080.

Shifty

Just got my TPCast working last night. Took at least 3 support chats with TPCast, thankfully they're very responsive online. Has one or two random glitches every now and then but otherwise works as advertised. Wireless HTC Vive.

I'm also super sampling with the GTX1080.

Nice! Is there any noticeable latency compared to using it wired?

Excited for the wireless future, but I don't think I'm ready to take the plunge until the tech is built into a HMD.

Darko

Man i bought doom last night and it keeps crashing.. seems to be a common problem. I just got a refund and bought it on psn instead lol 😂

elmalloc

Nice! Is there any noticeable latency compared to using it wired?

Excited for the wireless future, but I don't think I'm ready to take the plunge until the tech is built into a HMD.

I notice no extra latency, it is advertised to add 2ms of latency to the overall lag. My Epson projector also has wireless (faux-K) and there's really no noticeable lag.

I did have a horizontal line appear once in 30 minutes of playing (probably lost connection for a hundred milliseconds).

The transmitter on the wall is kind of loud when the TPCast is in use, doesn't matter to the player who has headphones/earbuds on usually, but anyone watching might hear it. It's not enough to be annoying but it's noticeable.

HTC is quiet on this because they're working with Intel on their own wireless model, I'm fully expecting V2 of VR hardware will be wireless from headset to PC.

Adding supersampling makes text a bit clearer. I'd say Oculus Rift has less of FOV but clearer text vs. the Vive.

Headsets slightly heavy, the anker battery pack sits on your belt (and they provide a belt for those who don't wear belts lol). It's not really noticeable. VR will get lighter, higher resolution, wireless soon I believe.

Darko

I got the pimax 4k vr headset today. Works with steam vr games.. but i bought it for *movies* 😂 which it passed with flying colors.. the image does ghost when you turn your head so im not sure its good for gaming.. it maybe just my settings though.

Keihart

so after owning this oculus rift for two weeks i still have yet to experience any motion sickness, i can even rotate and do flips on Echo Arena without any trouble, in fact i which the game incorporated turning when grabbing things instead of having to use the stick.

The only discomfort i feel is when games don't perform well enough or under the 90 lock that seems to be necessary.

Grinchy

Banned
Why can i only aim with my head in doom if i use a controller? ...(pc version)

I'm putting on my tinfoil hat to give you my conspiracy theory.

Sony is bundling Doom VFR with the PSVR this month. They very likely did their own internal focus testing and determined that a large percentage of people did not perform well with the atrocious control scheme. They demanded that Bethesda add left stick smooth movement to the game, and it was added very late. Bethesda didn't have the same pressure to add it to the PC version, and therefore they haven't.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Debating on Doom VFR for my Vive or my PS4 Pro with PSVR controller.

Leaning towards PSVR just to support the aim confront because it's awesome. Fidelity drop can't be that bad right?

Keihart

Played Serious Sam 3 VR and Raw Data today with oculus, super dissapointed since the reviews on steam sounded great, fortunately Oculus and Steam have refunds now.

Organ Quarter it's pretty dope and polished considering it's what seems like a low budget game.

I guess i'll keep playing robo recall and lone echo, it's been hard to find great games outside of Oculus Studios, no doubt there are ones like Duck Season and Organ Quarter, but hard to find nonetheless.

Edit: So i just played From Other Suns for a couple hours, awesome co-op experience.
So last night i played Onward....didn't even realized when i had spent 5 hours straight in that game...

Darko

I dont see many posts on the samsung mixed reality headset, im thinking of getting it because it supports vive games and oculus through revive.. it has a oled screen, bullt in head phones.. room scale tracking.. highest resolution screen out of the major companies.. and its basically plug and play with no setting up sensors.. not to mention you can run it on a low spec pc

But $650 canadian. :(

Darko

Edit: i bought the samsung yesterday, it had the best image quality of all the headsets ive used.. if only it played all oculus games id ditch my current set.

I love that you only have to plug in two cables and it works, no extra sensors.. the only downside is waiting 4 hours for the new windows updates for it to work lol

Also i noticed if you play in the dark the controllers dont track 100% of the time.

Top Bottom