• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

Tizoc

So I guess I'm pretty stupid for waiting to play Read Only Memories until now, and then not realizing there's a Director's Cut Update releasing next week. I'm in chapter 4, so I guess I'll just finish, but that's really irritating!
I didnt know there was a major update coming til i daw ur post
So no need to degrade urself like that mate

Tizoc

Well that's satinav over with. Didn't enjoy it as well as I'd liked but it did have some nice background art.
Next up Memoria then Minecraft Telltale.

wilco

Neo Member
Well that's satinav over with. Didn't enjoy it as well as I'd liked but it did have some nice background art.
Next up Memoria then Minecraft Telltale.

I never played Satinav but I thought Memoria is pretty good, one of the best Daedalic games. Good story and characters.

pixelmeat

Neo Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so I don't know if I'm doing this correctly.

I just wanted to tell you about our next game, a P&C adventure we'll be hopefully releasing on spring 2017.

It's called Agatha Knife and it's the second Psychotic Adventure. We have a devLog at TIGSource if you want to have a look at it.

06_agatha_knife_slaughter.png

I was wondering if Agatha Knife could be included in the list at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks guys!

Tizoc

I never played Satinav but I thought Memoria is pretty good, one of the best Daedalic games. Good story and characters.
Epuld u recommend olaying with german or english dub? Odd wuestion i know but if memoria's dub is as good as satinav ill play it with that :p

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so I don't know if I'm doing this correctly.

I just wanted to tell you about our next game, a P&C adventure we'll be hopefully releasing on spring 2017.

It's called Agatha Knife and it's the second Psychotic Adventure. We have a devLog at TIGSource if you want to have a look at it.

I was wondering if Agatha Knife could be included in the list at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks guys!

Game looks interesting but I hope that piggy's gonna be Ok and you're not advocating animal cruelty, right? RIGHT? :p

...Well at least not for the sake of it?

Thanks guys!

The solution:

Use the key in the pigs hand to unlock the hand cuffs
pick up piggy bank on the table
smash the psycho girl in the head with the piggy bank
chop up the girl on the circular saw
put the body parts in the crate
walk out the door happy as a pig in shit

wilco

Neo Member
Epuld u recommend olaying with german or english dub? Odd wuestion i know but if memoria's dub is as good as satinav ill play it with that :p

Played the english dub, I think it was good. Only Daedalic game I had to play the original german version because the dub was horrible was Whispered World.

pixelmeat

Neo Member
Game looks interesting but I hope that piggy's gonna be Ok and you're not advocating animal cruelty, right? RIGHT? :p

...Well at least not for the sake of it?

That's one of our main concerns in fact. We make humor games from a south-east Europe perspective (Barcelona!). What we like more than anything is joke about controversial topics and see the audience react. We present characters with totally oposite views and opinions and let the player decide what's their interpretation or whose position do you stand for.

But never for the sake of it! That would be cheap humor. Agatha has a very specific and twisted background that puts her in a really freaky position towards animals, can't say anymore :D

Thanks guys!

done.

ubique

I dropped the director's cut and finished the original Broken Sword 1 and 2. I had completely forgotten George talks to a little ghost girl in the second game

Now I'm replaying Broken Sword 3 and it's a sort of miserable experience. I remember thinking it was better than I expected when I first played it, but I guess that means I expected complete garbage, because there isn't much to love here

What's really bothering me is that Nico and George come across as a couple of assholes. One of the very first things Nico says in this game is that she was glad a man was already dead when she found him, instead of just unconscious, because that meant she wouldn't need to perform CPR on him, which she would have found disgusting because he had "bad teeth and acne". Nico, the chick from Broken Sword 1, says that

They say "Dragon Energy" out loud several times in this game

The music and sound design are okay, I suppose. Oh, and I enjoyed revisiting some places from the first game, this time in ugly 2003 3D graphics

I dropped the director's cut and finished the original Broken Sword 1 and 2. I had completely forgotten George talks to a little ghost girl in the second game

Now I'm replaying Broken Sword 3 and it's a sort of miserable experience. I remember thinking it was better than I expected when I first played it, but I guess that means I expected complete garbage, because there isn't much to love here

What's really bothering me is that Nico and George come across as a couple of assholes. One of the very first things Nico says in this game is that she was glad a man was already dead when she found him, instead of just unconscious, because that meant she wouldn't need to perform CPR on him, which she would have found disgusting because he had "bad teeth and acne". Nico, the chick from Broken Sword 1, says that

They say "Dragon Energy" out loud several times in this game

The music and sound design are okay, I suppose. Oh, and I enjoyed revisiting some places from the first game, this time in ugly 2003 3D graphics

Unfortunately one of the key writers of Broken Sword 1 & 2 left the company after BS2 (and sadly has now since passed away).

BS3-5 are written in a different fashion. :/

ubique

Unfortunately one of the key writers of Broken Sword 1 & 2 left the company after BS2 (and sadly has now since passed away).

BS3-5 are written in a different fashion. :/

Yeah I read the RPGcodex thread some years ago, it's too bad

On the other hand, I started BS4 and it's significantly better written. It's also clearly unfinished, with a lot of placeholder animation, unfinished character movements, it froze twice on me, some puzzles are way too easy and others nearly illogical, it controls like shit, I needed to edit two separate .ini files just to get it started, etc

But the brand of cartoonishness the characters we meet display is more typical of the first two games, so it already feels more like a proper sequel... so far anyway

Lagamorph

9. Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today / 5 hrs

Now this is the most depressing adventure game I think I've played since The Cat Lady. I didn't enjoy the puzzles here too much, but the setting and story were pretty unique and there were many memorable scenes, some for the entirely wrong reasons. You do some despicable things in this game, and then you do some even worse things which are not really even acknowledged by the game itself. The final segment with the character Rose contains one of the most bafflingly repugnant actions by the main character, which could have been entirely avoided and the game doesn't seem to recognize that.
I've just started playing this having rented it. The plot is definitely intriguing at the start, but the doing terrible things part somewhat worried me as I'm normally the "play it as a nice guy" type...

ubique

Just finished Broken Sword 4. The last half is basically written like an Adam Sandler movie, but for it to progress you have to keep clicking at random shit around the screen, and it's 50 hours long, so it's much worse. I can't believe I subjected myself to this

I'm really embarrassed to have listened to the dialogue, and to have watched the cutscenes. It's just a shameful experience. I kept looking at the door every 10 seconds, afraid someone would come in and see me playing it. I kept my finger on Esc at all times to pause the game at a moment's notice in case I heard footsteps

Anyway can't wait to start BS5, hope it's fantastic

SomTervo

I helped the developer of Paradigm a bit with the game's text.

Didn't really see anything in situ, but i reckon you guys are in for a v cool game!

Slaythe

Just finished Broken Sword 4. The last half is basically written like an Adam Sandler movie, but for it to progress you have to keep clicking at random shit around the screen, and it's 50 hours long, so it's much worse. I can't believe I subjected myself to this

I'm really embarrassed to have listened to the dialogue, and to have watched the cutscenes. It's just a shameful experience. I kept looking at the door every 10 seconds, afraid someone would come in and see me playing it. I kept my finger on Esc at all times to pause the game at a moment's notice in case I heard footsteps

Anyway can't wait to start BS5, hope it's fantastic

Honestly your best bet is to hope for the worst and be pleasantly surprised than hope for it to be fantastic.

Don't expect BS2, expect BS4.

It's like this BS 1 > BS 2 > BS 5 > BS 3 > BS 4

The nose dive in quality between 3 and 4 is equivalent to the dive from 2 to 5.
The first part is decent, the second part is insulting.

ubique

Honestly your best bet is to hope for the worst and be pleasantly surprised than hope for it to be fantastic.

Even drinking poison would be a pleasant surprise after BS4, but don't worry I fully expect it to be A Charles Cecil Game™ after what I've seen these past few days

I've just started playing this having rented it. The plot is definitely intriguing at the start, but the doing terrible things part somewhat worried me as I'm normally the "play it as a nice guy" type...

This is a huge spoiler for the fate of a certain character, contains a description of the part I found so repugnant:

The character of Rose is a young woman who has been sexually abused and kept as a sex slave by two thugs throughout the game. You interact with her and try to help her in small ways but her mind is that of a child due to the abuse. You are told by the leader of the thugs if you try to save her you will be killed, but she can "choose" to leave if she wants. Near the end of the game you anger the leader of the thugs to the point where he wants you dead. You have a gun. Your choice? Give the gun to the mentally and physically abused woman so she can kill the two thugs outside her trailer, which completely shatters her mind to the point where she is catatonic. You leave her sitting with the bodies, confident that at least you helped her stop the abuse.

Gee, maybe you could've killed them yourself and actually helped her since you were already in trouble with the gang? Or one million other solutions that didn't require me to give a gun to what amounts to a child?

Made me physically sick to my stomach.

Tizoc

Even drinking poison would be a pleasant surprise after BS4, but don't worry I fully expect it to be A Charles Cecil Game™ after what I've seen these past few days
May i make a suggestion? Cnsider doing a mew lttp thread and post your impressions on the broken sword series
Inplan on doing such a thread by march/april as i have gone thru half a dozen games in my pnc/adventure backlog

Even a small discussion could encourage a few people to re experince the gamr and spread a little awarenes for the series

Just a suggestion is all :x

Slaythe

BTW I found the Downfall remake to be vastly inferior to the original. They ruined quite a few things.

And I played Resonance, and absolutely loved it, I am redoing a run with the commentaries now :D .

That "Read only Memory" seems pretty interesting. Apparently a new version comes out soon ?

Worth to get ?

I'm in the mood for replaying Beneath a steel sky...

Tizoc

BTW I found the Downfall remake to be vastly inferior to the original. They ruined quite a few things.

And I played Resonance, and absolutely loved it, I am redoing a run with the commentaries now :D .

That "Read only Memory" seems pretty interesting. Apparently a new version comes out soon ?

Worth to get ?

I'm in the mood for replaying Beneath a steel sky...
Replay with nhanced audio!
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/cont...-a-steel-sky-enhanced-soundtrack-for-scummvm/

Rom is likely to show up in bundles so keep an eye on indiegala, bundlestars and humble bundle.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think The Dig is excellent, but am aware this is not always the majority opinion on it!

I'll go one further and say The Dig is my favorite LucasArts adventure game. Nothing gets you a faster side-eye from PnC fans. But yeah, it's great.

Lagamorph

This is a huge spoiler for the fate of a certain character, contains a description of the part I found so repugnant:

The character of Rose is a young woman who has been sexually abused and kept as a sex slave by two thugs throughout the game. You interact with her and try to help her in small ways but her mind is that of a child due to the abuse. You are told by the leader of the thugs if you try to save her you will be killed, but she can "choose" to leave if she wants. Near the end of the game you anger the leader of the thugs to the point where he wants you dead. You have a gun. Your choice? Give the gun to the mentally and physically abused woman so she can kill the two thugs outside her trailer, which completely shatters her mind to the point where she is catatonic. You leave her sitting with the bodies, confident that at least you helped her stop the abuse.

Gee, maybe you could've killed them yourself and actually helped her since you were already in trouble with the gang? Or one million other solutions that didn't require me to give a gun to what amounts to a child?

Made me physically sick to my stomach.
I just played that part....Fucking hell. And this right after watching
Colin dissolve in his bed while screaming in agony.

Oh, and let's not forget helping two children commit murder, so I save them by getting the body of a mentally disturbed priest, the death of whom I'm also responsible for, pouring acid on his face before slashing it up with a piece of broken glass and then framing him for the murder instead.

This is the bleakest game I've ever played.

EDIT - Just finished. That's it? No ending? No conclusion? It just stops abruptly like that?
God damn, I'm glad I didn't buy this, absolutely cannot stand games that do this.

Tizoc

Just made it to the final chapter of Memoria. Overall I've enjoyed it more than Satinav.
Gonna finish it up tomorrow but apparently the final chapter is the longest.

After that I'll get through Broken Sword 3.

inm8num2

Tizoc you are a gaming machine. I think you've completed more games these last 2-3 weeks than I'll complete all year.

Memoria is beautiful and one of my favorite Daedalic games (top 3 along with The Night of the Rabbit and The Whispered World). There's just one thing about it that nags me, relating to the riddle (note: the riddle itself isn't really a spoiler since you learn about it in the game's first scenes).

As the stone rules over the scarab, so rules the scarab over the stone. Enter if to you the answer is known. If not, then forever your life I'll own.

You learn that Sadja was not a princess, she couldn't read, and the riddle's solution was not needed to understanding her story and what happened to her. My interpretation was that the magical barrier effected by the riddle over the Malakar tomb's entrance basically didn't apply to Sadja due to her illiteracy. In other words, people who read the riddle are bound by its rules. That's why Sadja could just ignore it and enter. All of that makes sense...

...but what IS the solution to the riddle? I searched the web and couldn't find anything. I guess I'll never know unless I e-mail the devs and ask directly. Maybe they didn't bother coming up with a solution, either.

Overall Memoria is a lovely adventure with a compelling story and enjoyable puzzles. The game left me with quite a bittersweet, melancholy feeling. I wonder if there are any plans for Daedalic to revisit The Dark Eye universe? I hope so, but they should finish The Devil's Men first. ;)

edit - quoting from another thread in case anyone missed it (Chris Bischoff is the developer of STASIS):

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION KICKSTARTER LAUNCHING 24 JANUARY!

Also dont forget to wishlist CAYNE - releasing for FREE on the same day!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/532840/

Tizoc

Tizoc you are a gaming machine. I think you've completed more games these last 2-3 weeks than I'll complete all year.

Memoria is beautiful and one of my favorite Daedalic games (top 3 along with The Night of the Rabbit and The Whispered World). There's just one thing about it that nags me, relating to the riddle (note: the riddle itself isn't really a spoiler since you learn about it in the game's first scenes).

As the stone rules over the scarab, so rules the scarab over the stone. Enter if to you the answer is known. If not, then forever your life I'll own.

You learn that Sadja was not a princess, she couldn't read, and the riddle's solution was not needed to understanding her story and what happened to her. My interpretation was that the magical barrier effected by the riddle over the Malakar tomb's entrance basically didn't apply to Sadja due to her illiteracy. In other words, people who read the riddle are bound by its rules. That's why Sadja could just ignore it and enter. All of that makes sense...

...but what IS the solution to the riddle? I searched the web and couldn't find anything. I guess I'll never know unless I e-mail the devs and ask directly. Maybe they didn't bother coming up with a solution, either.

Overall Memoria is a lovely adventure with a compelling story and enjoyable puzzles. The game left me with quite a bittersweet, melancholy feeling. I wonder if there are any plans for Daedalic to revisit The Dark Eye universe? I hope so, but they should finish The Devil's Men first. ;)

edit - quoting from another thread in case anyone missed it (Chris Bischoff is the developer of STASIS):

Here is my interpretation of the riddle;
it's all about defying fate or destiny.
One thing you need to keep in mind with the way Daedalic translate Dark Eye is that the translation is overall leaving much to be desired. I give them credit for doing a proper translation but some stuff just don't translate well into English.
The part about the scarab relates to changing reality and the past, be it prevent a death or rise to become a king.
The 2nd half talks about the abilities of the mask- If you KNOW what you want from using the mask's power, you may use my powers. If not you may surrender your memories.
This is why I wrote that the translation leaves much to be desired because that riddle could've been better written.

Oh and I've already completed my 14th game this year- Gunvolt on PC. Next up is Broken Sword 3 while I kick ass in Yakuza 0 ;P

Slaythe

So 2064 : Read only Memory is out.

Apparently it's a HUGE update.

I have never played the first version, I bought it now ! Hopefully it's decent. :D

SomTervo

That's Memoria completed

Harangued?
That's an actual English WORD?
The eff kinda thesarus and dictionary were they using lol.

Harangued is a great word!

The Witcher 3: Blood and Stone expansion is killing it with these old archaic forms. They used 'succour' within the first half hour. I was delighted.

That's Memoria completed

Harangued?
That's an actual English WORD?
The eff kinda thesarus and dictionary were they using lol.

I hear (and use!) harangued quite a bit in spoken English, but it's very rare to see it in written English. Nice to see though. :)

Just finished Chaos on Deponia. I have Goodbye Deponia but will give it a rest for awhile. The art style is great but the dialogue and humour is wearing a bit thin by the end.

I've lined up the Blackwell series next.

ubique

May i make a suggestion? Cnsider doing a mew lttp thread and post your impressions on the broken sword series

I thought about it but decided to just post on yours when you make it, my OP would just drive people away

Making my way through Broken Sword 3 and I see I still got a lot to cover after the first UK area :p

Yeah, good luck. I like that area, it's probably my favorite of the 3D games

BS5 has only had about 200 fat jokes so far (4 hours in), and every character is a pretty mean caricature as expected after BS4, but the atmosphere is on point. It's very relaxing. I really like the backgrounds, but it could be that I'm just impressed since it's my first 1080p point and click adventure game

George sounds 60 years old, they should have aged him a little. He's got a smartphone, it's not like the game takes place in the 90s

Anyway, I like it so far

Tizoc

Bah got bored with BS3 and decided to drop it :/
The controls are just too outdated for one thing and I wasn't really enjoying my time playing it.

Gonna install original BS1+2 and play them at a later time.

Next up Minecraft Telltale.

EDIT: Japanese release had a neat cover
brokensword3-jp.jpg

inm8num2

Karak (ACG) did a nice interview with the developer of The Slaughter Act One. I played that a few months ago and enjoyed it. Pretty good writing and a very good sense of humor to go along with the Victorian London setting.

Interview link

Here is my interpretation of the riddle;
it's all about defying fate or destiny.
One thing you need to keep in mind with the way Daedalic translate Dark Eye is that the translation is overall leaving much to be desired. I give them credit for doing a proper translation but some stuff just don't translate well into English.
The part about the scarab relates to changing reality and the past, be it prevent a death or rise to become a king.
The 2nd half talks about the abilities of the mask- If you KNOW what you want from using the mask's power, you may use my powers. If not you may surrender your memories.
This is why I wrote that the translation leaves much to be desired because that riddle could've been better written.

Yea, that seems like a logical interpretation of the riddle given the story of Memoria. Although,
I still wonder to what conclusion a person must arrive to pass into the tomb. Maybe they have to know and accept the risks of using Malakkar's mask. Maybe Sadja passed through not just because she was illiterate, but also because she was so determined to achieve greatness and be a legend at almost any cost. So the scarab is like an insignificant creature (human) and the stone is the mask. The scarab may rule over the stone (a person may use the mask's powers), but in turn the stone may similarly rule over the scarab (e.g. owning the user's memories).
Neat.

edit - Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye) has done some streams of his games recently, including one for Blackwell Epiphany earlier today.

ubique

In case you aren't following Wadjet Eye's Ben Chandler on Twitter, and are interested in adventure game analysis, here's all his Full Throttle stuff so far gathered in one moment:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/821086210344960001

This is great, thanks for sharing

Bah got bored with BS3 and decided to drop it :/
The controls are just too outdated for one thing and I wasn't really enjoying my time playing it.

And it only gets worse as it goes, so...

By the way, BS4's mouse controls are so inaccurate, that I had to switch back to BS3's WASD. God, that game sucked

By the way, BS4's mouse controls are so inaccurate, that I had to switch back to BS3's WASD. God, that game sucked

BS4 was really janky. I can't believe how badly programmed it was until later when I realised the game was co-developed by Revolution and Sumo digital. I avoided all Sumo games after that. They kinda redeemed themselves with Sonic Racing Transformed.

Top Bottom