• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

What the hell is happening at Naughty Dog

According to their hardcore fan base?

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Hmm yeah looks like my pause in spending money on Sony products is being extended. Will wait for the official statement. Hopefully it's not as disappointing as the last one.

Insane crunchs even for gaming standards. With such a workplace it's not strange that some sickos end up there.

While this is certainly a problem, I don't think it's an underlying cause in this case. You don't ask another professional if they're DTF in a greet just because you're under pressure.

Cerium

An individual is not the whole team. You can't expect everyone in a company to be righteous exemplary people.

However, the development team should take responsibility for it, and do the right thing.
There are also the allegations of HR firing victims for complaining and offering hush money. That goes beyond a few bad apples and suggests institutional corruption.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. That is maybe the kind of thing you say as a joke to close friends.
Not to a fellow professional you're meeting for the first time in the work place.

The same thing happening a lot of places. ND are full of talented people, but they are still big stable of folks and the harassers, racists, sexists are among all of us. They are not off hiding in a barn somewhere.

This is a systemic issue that permeates the world at large, and steps like these are important to set precedent for any sort of progress our society can make when it comes to treating each other like people, rather than pieces of meat.

I say we keep inspiring peopl to come forward, and hopefully the darker side of how this is all handled doesn't just make everyone's life get further wrung in shit. Unfortunately, stuff like evidence isn't always clear cut, which is bad for everyone.

Foxxsoxx

GAF - There are a few complete assholes that work at ND, they should close the entire studio down and make hundreds of employees lose their jobs.

Logic - Well obviously it isn't cool that this is happening and action should be taken, but there are plenty of innocent people just doing their jobs that aren't involved in this in the slightest, we should investigat-

GAF - BURN. IT. DOWN. IT'S. ALL. TAINTED.

:\

There are also the allegations of HR firing victims for complaining and offering hush money. That goes beyond a few bad apples and suggests institutional corruption.
There's one allegation, and we still don't know the full story.

The institutional corruption for me goes for the whole gaming industry. Remember that 2 years ago we have had stories about female game devs leaving the industry due to the sexism they receive. I'm surprised that we haven't heard much about it since, because I understand it's still a problem

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...development-and-how-change-things-q/31406823/

(Mentioning that because there's a correlation between female Devs and journalist getting sexual or non-sexually harassed)

I mean if that happened, it's obviously horrible, but these two incidents aren't necessarily related. There's a fucking shit ton of sexist men in tech industries, I would be shocked if stuff like what's said in that tweet doesn't happen every day. It's awful.

FingerBang

Think this through again, and understand that you are implying the actions of few should dictate that 600+ employees with families, children and loved ones lose their job.

Those that hid, facilitate and are responsible for this should suffer the consequences, no doubt. What you’re suggesting helps nothing.

This is what's wrong with the world today. Somebody does something wrong (we are all on the victim's side) and people are ready to burn the building to the ground, with everyone in it.
It's so annoying to see that this behavior is pretty much everywhere, regardless of political color, age and country.

I don't think there is a Naughty Dog problem, but there might be a problem at Naughty Dog (IF those people are still there) like in any other company that employees human beings.

Came into the thread expecting some polygon hyperbole, but that comment comes off as deeply disrespectful to me. If you are meeting a reporter -or representing your business- it makes it even more puzzling why that individual would think it is acceptable.

Also I agree with the below comment

GHG

A lot of men are pigs and desperate sexual predatators (particularly middle aged men).

Unfortunately the older you get, the more you realise this sort of shit is widespread and happens everywhere. You become particularly aware of it when you have a significant other who works in an office environment.

A lot of men are pigs and desperate sexual predatators (particularly middle aged men).

Unfortunately the older you get, the more you realise this sort of shit is widespread and happens everywhere. You become particularly aware of it when you have a significant other who works in an office environment.

The other allegation was female on male I think but yeah I'm sure most guys on Gaf have heard some pretty foul shit from other guys who think it's okay; it's a societal problem.

Kikorin

Well seems a strange answer to tell to someone out of nowhere, would be interesting to read all the conversation before take a position.

MadMod

A few bad apples really ruining the reputation of ND this month. (Hopefully its only a few)

ND should contact Megan and ask her who exactly said this to her, and give them some disciplinary action.

TLZ

Banned
Yep, it's terrible. Some people don't realize that hundreds of good people would lose their job even though they did nothing wrong.
The company I am working for had to close several of its studios within the last year and it was heartbreaking to see all those people leaving, so yeah, I absolutely hate comments like "close it all down".

It's expected coming from the unemployed and immature (2 separate people, but can be the same at times).

Hagi

Insane crunchs even for gaming standards. With such a workplace it's not strange that some sickos end up there.

I mean it could just be like any other work place you get a wide range of employees some of which can be total fucking creeps. This is happening in pretty much all fields.

This guy should definitely have been fired as there's no acceptable situation where this is acceptable in a professional context. While this guy is super messed up, sadly there are messed up people at every company. Unless we get some info that suggests ND is ignoring these allegations then I don't think people should be hating on the company as a whole.

Wait how did a junior member make a new thread? did I miss something here?

But yea this is gross.

It was originally a post from the other thread. This is a new (related, but different) topic so a mod separated it and all the posts regarding that to this new thread.

I didn't know that mods could do that either.

Actually it looks like most of the first page was migrated over from another thread. I guess a mod must’ve made a new thread and moved everything over. Huh. Never seen that before. Well mystery solved.
Yo. Good looking out. I just checked Threads made by op and assumed he was demoted my bad.

orborborb

Yep, that sure was a rude thing to say, absolutely worthy of a disapproving glance by someone else in the room. What are we talking about again?

Thorrgal

Jason said he was still investigating, right?

At this point in time if there was widespread sexual harassment and/or cover up more people surely have come forward so I'm eagerly awaiting for the article

labaronx

Crunching isnt exclusive to the gaming industry: nursing, teaching, emts, police, fire are all susceptible to crunch like work weeks its not an excuse to be an awful person.

The problem is that when stuff like this happens it isnt reported when it happened and that person escapes accusations and moves on. Its excellent that people are now feeling empowered to call out these harrassers

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Do you know the full phrase from which the term "bad apples" originates?

Do you feel this is fair towards the staff? We have two incidents called out right now in terms of indecent behaviour, granted, likely by two different individuals (one was male-to-male, one was male-to-female, so since bisexuality is rare, I deem it likely these are two separate people). Considering ND's team size it is not really shocking that there are two people like this among the team. Of course, extreme overworking as part of Naughty Dog's structure (as evident by Hennig's statement) may foster such behaviour even in people who wouldn't behave like this normally (lowering self-control through extreme stress), but so far we have no indication that Naughty Dog is particularly bad in terms of sexual harassment. Of course, this does not excuse those two people's behaviour.

labaronx

Do you feel this is fair towards the stuff? We have two incidents called out right now in terms of indecent behaviour, granted, likely by two different individuals (one was male-to-male, one was male-to-female, so since bisexuality is rare, I deem it likely these are two separate people). Considering ND's team size it is not really shocking that there are two people like this among the team. Of course, extreme overworking as part of Naughty Dog's structure (as evident by Hennig's statement) may foster such behaviour even in people who wouldn't behave like this normally (lowering self-control through extreme stress), but so far we have no indication that Naughty Dog is particularly bad in terms of sexual harassment. Of course, this does not excuse those two people's behaviour.

Sir that's way too rational

Thorrgal

Crunching isnt exclusive to the gaming industry: nursing, teaching, emts, police, fire are all susceptible to crunch like work weeks its not an excuse to be an awful person.

The problem is that when stuff like this happens it isnt reported when it happened and that person escapes accusations and moves on. Its excellent that people are now feeling empowered to call out these harrassers

Are they, though? Why not call them out by name like they're doing in the music, movie and tv bussines?

Top Bottom