• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog

KingKong

I like how Kami 2 requires perfect scores to unlock the levels when its impossible to beat a level without getting the perfect score

tariniel

I don't know where else to ask, but I have a question about something I don't understand in Card Thief.

I just unlocked the daily missions and I have access to a bunch of skill cards during these that I've never used before. For some reason though, it seems to disable or enable use of these randomly. I don't understand why at times I can use a card, and other times I cannot. Can anyone help? Is it because I don't have enough stealth points, or I need to disable a light source, or an enemy is looking in my direction?

Other than that, I'm trying to find another addicting game with daily login objectives and events. I used to play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius but got frustrated by the RNG on pulls and didn't fancy spending a lot of money and possibly get nothing useful. Anyone know of a similar game with less reliance on RNG/spending money?

I don't know where else to ask, but I have a question about something I don't understand in Card Thief.

I just unlocked the daily missions and I have access to a bunch of skill cards during these that I've never used before. For some reason though, it seems to disable or enable use of these randomly. I don't understand why at times I can use a card, and other times I cannot. Can anyone help? Is it because I don't have enough stealth points, or I need to disable a light source, or an enemy is looking in my direction?

Other than that, I'm trying to find another addicting game with daily login objectives and events. I used to play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius but got frustrated by the RNG on pulls and didn't fancy spending a lot of money and possibly get nothing useful. Anyone know of a similar game with less reliance on RNG/spending money?
You can use skill cards by the amount of stealth points you have and whether the stealth level of the card is equal to or greater than the target card's value. Example: you can't use a level two water arrow on a torch guard that's level 3.

tariniel

You can use skill cards by the amount of stealth points you have and whether the stealth level of the card is equal to or greater than the target card's value. Example: you can't use a level two water arrow on a torch guard that's level 3.

Makes a lot of sense, thank you!

pronk420

Possibly this was mentioned earlier in the thread and I missed it, I've been enjoying Vignettes a lot.

Its quite simple but theres more to it than you might think at first and lots of attention to detail.

HotHamBoy

Based on the post above i downloaded Gumballs & Dungeons and WOW am I shocked. A free to play Dungelot-like game that is easily better than its inspiration, and free with no need at all to spend money (after playing 6 hours since yesterday). I highhhhly recommend this game if you liked Dungelot. It's that, with a ton of content with what seems like millions of things to do. It's cute and charming and fun and has that "just 1 more" hook ina major way. Thanks for bringing this game to my attention it's already my most played ios game in months!

No problem! I also recommend its other inspiration, Rune Stone Keeper. I also find it better than Dungelot and it's very challenging. I can go 40-50 floors in endless mode pretty easily in Gumballs & Dungeons. If I get to floor 20 in Rune Stone Keeper I had a good run. Playing above Normal is truly difficult.

header.jpg

ss_f45df3ec25f1254c9386512768880b0e68f62f9c.1920x1080.jpg

So here's a question for you iOS gaming afficianados:

I'd like to get a really good VR headset "box" for my iPhone 7 Plus.

Something that is a little high-end or premium and widely accepted as "one of the best".

On that same note, recommend some good VR apps for iOS.

Preferably something with good lenses and 100 degree field of view? I dunno.

They are all a variation on Google Cardboard, they're all novelty toys. They don't approach Gear VR.

Mudo

No problem! I also recommend its other inspiration, Rune Stone Keeper. I also find it better than Dungelot and it's very challenging. I can go 40-50 floors in endless mode pretty easily in Gumballs & Dungeons. If I get to floor 20 in Rune Stone Keeper I had a good run. Playing above Normal is truly difficult.

Whoa thanks - how have i not heard of this game?! Downloading now

HotHamBoy

Whoa thanks - how have i not heard of this game?! Downloading now

Yeah, it's a real hidden gem! It took over my life for several weeks when I picked it up last year.

Tell me what you think, especially how it compares to the other two games.

PittaGAF

Everything after the first Robot Unicorn has just been a disappointment.

I tried Magic Duels again and 10 minutes of gameplay drained about 25-35% of my iPhone 6S+ battery. On the bright side, I could've fried an egg on the back of my phone. Back into the trash this game goes.

That's weird.
Magic Duels drain battery is almost negligible on my iPhone 6S or at least on par with other games.

Oynox

Prices are not visible yet but Coding Monkeys has a sale going on. Carcassonne for 4.99 and Lost Cities 1.99 instead of 9.99 respectively 3.99. I think that is the biggest sale Carcassonne has seen in some time, definitely will pick it up.

Matt Frost

Penarium, while it wont replace Super Crate Box, is very entertaining. After a few tutorial levels it starts to show some dynamic events on the levels that makes them very entertaining. Like suddenly water starts to rise or boxes start to fly while you evade all those traps. Making it a fun mayhem to overcome. Controls perfecly, but you can adjust them in setting if you want. Full GameCenter integration. Also has an endless mode. Recommended for those who like this genre without doubt.

Matt Frost

Death Road To Canada is so damn neat. Wow! Management + loot + zombie hordes + loads of action makes this game very enjoyable. And the roguelike part means it has a ton of logevity. Outstanding!

PittaGAF

I downloaded it again now to take a screenshot of the battery usage but it's not listed under there for some reason. I played one tutorial (10-15 mins?) and lost 24% battery life. :(

Oh don't get me wrong. I totally believe you but it's really weird. At that rate you would deplete a full battery in less than 1 hour, which is insane.
I can play literally for hours (I think I played almost 4-5 hours straight some weeks ago when sick before seeing the first low batter warning).

Bigfoot

I was just looking through my old AppShopper wish list that I hadn't touched in years. So much of it has had sales over the years and I've purchased and played most of what I had on the list.

What caught my eye was an app called Labyrinth 2 HD that I never bought by a company called Illusion Labs. It's still priced the same as it was 7 years ago and it was overpriced then which means it is way overpriced now. They haven't forgotten about it either as it got an iOS 10 update recently.

Just got me thinking how much money they have missed out on by keeping their price high. It looks interesting but it's nothing special. Something worth picking up for a buck or two though.

HotHamBoy

Prices are not visible yet but Coding Monkeys has a sale going on. Carcassonne for 4.99 and Lost Cities 1.99 instead of 9.99 respectively 3.99. I think that is the biggest sale Carcassonne has seen in some time, definitely will pick it up.

I thought Carcassonne was always $4.99? It is on Android.

Death Road To Canada is so damn neat. Wow! Management + loot + zombie hordes + loads of action makes this game very enjoyable. And the roguelike part means it has a ton of logevity. Outstanding!

I really want it but I hate those kinds of on-screen controls on my iPad and I don't have a MFi controller...

Looks really fun, though!

The digital adaptation of the board game Tokaido is on sale for $3.99, normally $6.99.

Tokaido-App-Under-Development-Header-DAGeeks.jpg

That's a 43% discount after just 5 weeks on the App Store. This trend is becoming too common, some games are going on sale within two weeks of release! This is a self-perpetuating cycle where people wait to buy a game knowing it will go on sale quickly and games go on sale quickly because nobody's buying them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I randomly found this platformer rpg called Goblin Sword that came out years ago, and holy crap does it look well done. Anyone here played it?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That's a 43% discount after just 5 weeks on the App Store. This trend is becoming too common, some games are going on sale within two weeks of release! This is a self-perpetuating cycle where people wait to buy a game knowing it will go on sale quickly and games go on sale quickly because nobody's buying them.

I wouldn't say it is becoming common. It has pretty much been a developer strategy for 4 or 5 years now.

Premium games are unfortunately usually pretty boom or bust. If a premium game is getting featured it can be riding pretty high, but without featuring or when featuring switches off, the dropoff in sales is massive.

Discounting aggressively is a pretty desperate move in order to maintain ranks, visibility, momentum, revenue, word of mouth etc. While it may train some users, I think a large part of the market probably doesn't wait for discounts. I don't think the practice is training people in the same way that Steam has trained their users around sales. But its becoming less effective as losing visibility and momentum happens faster than ever before. By the time you have reacted with a discount, it's probably already too late.

Weirdly perhaps, discounting was used when you were featured rather than when you weren't back in the day. When featured, discounting was used to drop reduce the barrier to entry and get more users into the game to both drive revenue and build a critical mass community and word of mouth. When you weren't featured, you wanted to maximize the value of your organic sales and maintained the higher price point. Pretty much the opposite of how it is used now.

Oynox

Ffs Apple raised prices in the app store over night in Germany. 2.29 instead 1.99 and 3.49 instead 2.99 and so on. That's quite a margin... Definitely turned off to buy a lot more now.

Apparently there not not only increased prices but also decreased ones because they introduced new price tires like 0.49 or 1.09 for example. However most 99 cents apps are 1.09 now.

The dev of the really cool Last Horizon has a current Kickstarter for his next game, an even cooler looking dual stick shooter with an ARPG mentality customizing your ship

Nova Drift
Dev says the current focus is on PC, but it probably is also coming to iOS/Android
P1CrOoa.gif

killercow

Ffs Apple raised prices in the app store over night in Germany. 2.29 instead 1.99 and 3.49 instead 2.99 and so on. That's quite a margin... Definitely turned off to buy a lot more now.

Apparently there not not only increased prices but also decreased ones because they introduced new price tires like 0.49 or 1.09 for example. However most 99 cents apps are 1.09 now.

I'm not seeing any new tier for Europe:
https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2017/04/euroappstorepricing-800x548.jpg

Matt Frost

I was looking at the Spanish appstore prices too and wondering what happened. Prices now are 1.09, 2.29 and so on. Damn. Without any notice. Glad i bought DRtC and a couple of other before this.

killercow

I was looking at the Spanish appstore prices too and wondering what happened. Prices now are 1.09, 2.29 and so on. Damn. Without any notice. Glad i bought DRtC and a couple of other before this.

It was mentioned last week and reported on. The press release mentioned that it would take full effect this week.

Oynox

I do:

I'd guess that the new prices are not yet applied to all apps thus there still are 99 cents apps. However that does not explain cheap 49 cent apps... Seem to be mostly older and really small games like Doodle jump.

It was mentioned last week and reported on. The press release mentioned that it would take full effect this week.
Didn't read anything about it unfortunately though 😐

killercow

I do:

I'd guess that the new prices are not yet applied to all apps thus there still are 99 cents apps. However that does not explain cheap 49 cent apps... Seem to be mostly older and really small games like Doodle jump.

Didn't read anything about it unfortunately though ��

Weird of Apple not to include it in its official press release but that's at least something. What's weird is that $0.99 apps are now cheaper if the dev use this tier while everything above it is more expensive.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I do:

I just took a look at iTunes Connect.

Looks like Apple has modified the "Alternate Tier A" and "Alternate Tier B" pricing to accommodate changes in Europe. These were previously used for price sensitive markets like Turkey, China, and Mexico, so an app would be 99c in US etc but around the equivalent of 25c in these other markets.

Looks like "A" now sets countries in Europe to 0.49 EURO, and "B" sets it to 0.99 EURO.

Trunx28

I'm looking for a nice building sim, best would be a scifi one, which is not Pay2Win .. probably impossible .. Or smth like "The Guild 2" - also not P2W. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom