• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

DOWN

Banned
You'll find there's a growing number of games that do not allow you skip nowadays.

Regardless, that's a very nitpicky thing to point out.

It sets off my compulsive tendencies. I find it wildly distracting to watch a scripted sequence that I'd like to pay attention to, and the whole time there is something on screen for people too stupid to try skipping it if they really don't care about the vision and story of the game. They aren't worth messing up a clear screen for.

By the way, does anyone know the details of how the invasion system works? It can't be that substantive if it's preorder only.. can it?

When you're roaming the city at night, another player can enter your game. You're notified of this, and must destroy zombie nests in the area to drive them out. If they kill you a certain number of times, they win.

It seems very low-stakes compared to Souls-series invasions. We don't even know if there are real consequences for losing, but so far it seems similar to Watch_Dogs.

RelyOnHorror streatm sold me. Looks to run well and I had an interest in the game as a companion piece. Let's hope it expands on Mirror's Edge parkour gameplay. Looks really good.

DrTeflon

Played about 2 hours (PC version). All the time I was "Oh my, this is fun" ,"The movement is pretty great", "Oh my god its almost night I gotta get out of here". Overall I had TONS of fun. Between 60 and 30fps on a i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz and a 780ti.

It sets off my compulsive tendencies. I find it wildly distracting to watch a scripted sequence that I'd like to pay attention to, and the whole time there is something on screen for people too stupid to try skipping it if they really don't care about the vision and story of the game. They aren't worth messing up a clear screen for.

Good Night, Good Luck indeed.

It is a horror game after all...

I'm in Australia and while it's good that they are offering us the DLC packs for free, in a months time I will have zero interest in this game.

I was going to pick it up over the next couple of days because i'm starved for some games (especially co-op) but end of Feb and begining of March seem quite crowded for release dates so not going to be picking this up sorry.

Not sure why this news came so late. Did the publishers just wake up one morning and say "Shit, forgot to post copies to all countries except America!" Honestly seems quite incompetent.

DirtyLarry

Last night I cancelled my Best Buy Preorder, which really was painful to do as I am part of Gamers Club Unlocked and it also came with a $10 Reward Zone Certificate and I also really, really prefer to have physical copies to trade in, all so I could preorder the digital version as tomorrow I will be snowed in.
Already pre-loaded on the PS4.
Will be playing tomorrow after I shovel my driveway and sidewalk, or before, all depends on how much snow we get and when it stops.

DOWN

Banned
Good Night, Good Luck indeed.

It is a horror game after all...
Does anyone really expect the survival of these people of the world who can only figure out they can skip a scene if the button prompt stays visible for every scene in the entire game?

Played about 2 hours (PC version). All the time I was "Oh my, this is fun" ,"The movement is pretty great", "Oh my god its almost night I gotta get out of here". Overall I had TONS of fun. Between 60 and 30fps on a i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz and a 780ti.

Please tell me you were running at a high resolution.

aravuus

Man. Less than six hours ago I barely knew this game was coming out "soon". Now it's 4am, I'm supposed to get up in a couple of hours but I can't sleep cause I'm so hyped lmao

I really need to learn to contain my hype

chixdiggit

Sold. Is GMG still the cheapest with 25% off?

Teknoman

Well just bought the Steam version...so if anyone wants to do co-op or already has me on their friend list: Teknoman is my Steam name.

Also anyone making a community group for Dying Light GAF?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Do you create your character in this, or are you stuck with one of four stereotypes again...

Not sure if it was just the stream, but Kinda Funny streaming the PS4 version makes me have framerate concerns.

I'm watching it as well right now and the framerate looks like it's dropping below 30. But Greg keeps saying he really likes the game so maybe it's just the stream.

mileS

1080p :|. Vsync was On

Lots of games make the frame rate jump between 60 and 30 if they do Vsync a certain way (not the best at technically explaining this) Next time you come up to a point where the game jumps between the two, try turning Vsync off to see if it stays at a steady 60 or doesn't jump down as close to 30 anymore. If so, try running Vsync with D3DOverrider or some other tool.

Oh man, I'm this close to just preordering it at Best Buy. My biggest concern is performance issues (PS4) and the fact that I hated Dead Island (but this seems different enough)

Flunkie

Banned
I'm watching it as well right now and the framerate looks like it's dropping below 30. But Greg keeps saying he really likes the game so maybe it's just the stream.
Yeah I've gotta think it's the stream as I was watching PsiSyndicate stream the PC version earlier today and it looked like it dipped in certain spots too.

XBP

Will someone make a PC performance thread for this game? Would be easier to analyze the PC port that way.

kingwingin

I've watched a lot of streams over the past few days and only noticed tearing or dips when there was 20+ zombies on screen. Otherwise it looks smooth

Jac_Solar

Seems like the world map is not that large, even though it seemed to be touted as having a large world. Based on a video showing off the world size, it took some reviewer guys 8-9 minutes to cross the world, according to the video time. Detract a couple of minutes for messing around, showing off some stuff, and it's probably at around 5-7 minutes.

It does seem to have a decent amount of variety, though; some forest like areas, some cliffs, though those areas appeared to be very small.

Arsenic13

Had some sever performance problems on my stream. I surpass the minimum requirements, though (3570k/7970). Played on the Performance settings and it dipped a lot between 60-30fps. Not sure the cause.

Perhaps an AMD GPU thing?

jond76

Banned
Seems like the world map is not that large, even though it seemed to be touted as having a large world. Based on a video showing off the world size, it took some reviewer guys 8-9 minutes to cross the world, according to the video time. Detract a couple of minutes for messing around, showing off some stuff, and it's probably at around 5-7 minutes.

It does seem to have a decent amount of variety, though; some forest like areas, some cliffs, though those areas appeared to be very small.

Makes me wonder if they were only seeing a partial map. I seem to recall that Techland said that this would was bigger than Dead Island, and that was quite large. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm in Australia and while it's good that they are offering us the DLC packs for free, in a months time I will have zero interest in this game.

I was going to pick it up over the next couple of days because i'm starved for some games (especially co-op) but end of Feb and begining of March seem quite crowded for release dates so not going to be picking this up sorry.

Not sure why this news came so late. Did the publishers just wake up one morning and say "Shit, forgot to post copies to all countries except America!" Honestly seems quite incompetent.

Mate just grab it off GMG through a US browser VPN, costs about $50ish. Download is only like 7GB or so and key is instant.

whats the consensus so far for this game?

Judging by streams it looks to play exactly as it has been described, Mirror's Edge + Dead Island. Looks like a lot of fun, and if you can get it cheap go for it.

Top Bottom