• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle coming with two-year subscription ($15 a month)

This isn't going to be good going forward. Cell providers and Cable companies already fleece people with contracts. It's another way to steal money from people.

And games are still $60 a pop. This is silly.

DaMan121

Well it's the way most people can afford 700$ smartphones so it's certainly a valid way to sell the product. It's going to be really interesting to see if it will work well for MS.

But you don't just pay for the phone. A (carefully chosen) contract saves you hundreds of dollars on calls, messages and data over the course of the 2 years. A true analogy would be a 2 year contract for an iphone, but no calls, messages or data is included.

Emitan

What option do people prefer for next gen?

Large leap in power over this gen and pay $500 no subscription or $300 with subscription.
Medium leap in power over this gen and pay $300 no subscription.

Medium for $300. If you want power, building a PC is what you should be doing.

Proelite

Medium for $300. If you want power, building a PC is what you should be doing.

With $300, assuming MS / Sony breaks even on the consoles, there isn't really much of a jump.

Medium to me is around a traditional console jump, where as high would be 2-3x traditional jump, as it should be after 8 years.

Gravijah

You could technically say the wii was a medium jump in power no? Regardless of how much power developers actually utilized.

Was it closer to 2x, 1.5x, or 1.25x?

64->dc vs ps2 would be closer to a "medium" jump in my opinion, but i dunno we're getting into semantics.

Eteric Rice

Large leap in power over this gen and pay $500 no subscription or $300 with subscription.

Medium with no sub for me.

I always felt we didn't have to be at the bleeding edge, and I still don't feel we do. I think we should strive to allow developers to do much more than they could the previous gen, but not to the point where consoles cost over half a grand. It's insanity.

That's crazy short-sighted. I'd take the higher initial cost any day of the week over paying a still-high price for the right to re-buy basically what I already own.

I feel like I don't want to buy a $500 console and I feel like my gaming PC can handle the times when I want amazing graphics but a console that is becoming a multimedia machine... I wonder if I am the only one who feels this way.

neptunes

I feel like I don't want to buy a $500 console and I feel like my gaming PC can handle the times when I want amazing graphics but a console that is becoming a multimedia machine... I wonder if I am the only one who feels this way.
Not many other people have gaming rigs to experience the latest cutting edge games. A high end console would appeal to those that don't.

bangai-o

Banned
But you don't just pay for the phone. A (carefully chosen) contract saves you hundreds of dollars on calls, messages and data over the course of the 2 years. A true analogy would be a 2 year contract for an iphone, but no calls, messages or data is included.

lol cell phone services are a huge rip off. Anyone is deluding themselves if they think a 70dollar a month plan is "saves" money.

Not many other people have gaming rigs to experience the latest cutting edge games. A high end console would appeal to those that don't.

That's true but let me be clear, modern gen graphics on the HD twins is very nice. I could live with that for awhile longer. In other words, without a gaming PC, I would be fine with gen graphics.

The Wii needs to be upgraded but the WiiU won't be more than $300.

So then why bother at all with buying new hardware? I don't know about you, but $300 is still a lot of money to me. It's wasteful to spend so much for marginal improvements over what I already have.

So then why bother at all with buying new hardware? I don't know about you, but $300 is still a lot of money to me. It's wasteful to spend so much for marginal improvements over what I already have.

I probably won't.

Anyhow, it's like asking why people bought the SNES for $200 when the NES was $200 6 years earlier.

bangai-o

Banned
That's true but let me be clear, modern gen graphics on the HD twins is very nice. I could live with that for awhile longer. In other words, without a gaming PC, I would be fine with gen graphics.

im fine with current graphics as well. Gameplay before graphics etc. But neogaf has had numerous threads on this topic along with our threads that zoom in and examine jaggies, screenshots that determine if a game is shit, and lol-ing at games that dont look like they were developed by Epic, and PC gamers complaining that consoles are holding them back, have already determined that gaf wants uber next gen consoles.

jet1911

From the article in OP

We're told that the two-year subscription will provide access to the Xbox Live Gold service and possibly some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers.

So it's not only the console + kinect.

If the thread read exactly the same but you replaced the word Microsoft with Nintendo or Sony and 360 with Wii U or PS3, this thread would be entirely different. People would be hootin and hollering about how genius Nintendo is.

But since its MS...

th_haters-gonna-hate-fat-dude-animated.gif

This.

Salacious Crumb

If MS release the 720 on a similar plan that will only cost me less than $50 more over 2 years than buying outright I think I'll get it on contract.

Lynn616

If MS release the 720 on a similar plan that will only cost me less than $50 more over 2 years than buying outright I think I'll get it on contract.

If you don`t have the money upfront this would be a better option than a credit card. Unless my math is wrong $50 for 2 years on a $500 console would come out to 5% interest. Most credit cards are far more than that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If the thread read exactly the same but you replaced the word Microsoft with Nintendo and 360 with Wii U, this thread would be entirely different. People would be hootin and hollering about how genius Nintendo is.

But since its MS...

th_haters-gonna-hate-fat-dude-animated.gif
What? How? I don't perceive that as being the case at all.

neptunes

If you don`t have the money upfront this would be a better option than a credit card. Unless my math is wrong $50 for 2 years on a $500 console would come out to 5% interest. Most credit cards are far more than that.
Not to mention if they include live and some other frivolous services.

Didn't realize you were already factoring in xbl fees.

You know what's a better option? Saving. Or maybe just an ounce of self control.

Eusis

This logic seems to sort of represent a slippery slope, where now consoles are desired to be a cheaper equal to high end gaming rigs rather than cheap alternative with reasonably good, but not equal performance, and it's worse (but easier to understand perhaps) given we've been entering a point of drastically diminishing returns. In the 80s and 90s even small upgrades seemed to open the potential for new, significantly more expansive games and designs, but nowadays it looks like many of the biggest hurdles have been overcome (text has become such a non-issue that many cartridge-based games can afford to have multiple languages on them, when in the 80s and early 90s you needed to be concise with just one language) and anything that really pushes those capabilities is going to be costing much, much more. That, and it's still the point that if you want high end performance get a gaming capable PC. Far as I know you can do those in payments over time too, I don't want to have consoles be nearly as expensive or bogged down with cellphone-style contracts just so some people can have their bleeding edge hardware that ends up costing too much for many developers to develop for anyway.

cnizzle06

Banned
I'm assuming this is sort of a litmus test for next gen. And since they have you locked in for 2 years, I assume they'll have some upgrade offer (while extending your contract) for the next console.

sangreal

The 90s all over again. I used to try to convince my Mom to buy me a new PC w/ 2-year ISP subscription but she wasn't buying it

heh who mixed this cellphone business model into my console gaming?

welcome to contract subscription gaming, gaffers!........early termination fees for all!

(probably already mentioned, but anyone remember the SegaNet "free Dreamcast" after signing on for a multiyear subscription contract?)

reminds me off a part from a recent Simpsons episode:

Salesman: Homer you should TOTALLY buy this awesome treadmill for the low low price of $300 per month!

Homer: Awwww......$300 a month?? but i cant afford that?!

Salesman: oh errr did I say $300?? I meant $10 per day!

Homer: $10 a day??? WOO HOO ITS A DEAL!

coldfoot

Banned

You never get a console with "no subscription" from MS, not unless you want to actually use the network interface...It's been this way this generation, and it's a factor for de-Microsoftizing my life for me.

If Sony offered the SAME package the backlash would be unbelievable.

MS has been getting away with 50/year for the longest time, and now they're basically increasing the cost substantially to 180/year.

HAHAHAHAHA.

What the hell am I reading. Jesus wept.

You never get a console with "no subscription" from MS, not unless you want to actually use the network interface...It's been this way this generation, and it's a factor for de-Microsoftizing my life for me.

Stop lying.

I can access XBL without a subscription, I can access game downloads, movie downloads, etc. accessing the network and accessing certain apps and online gaming are entirely different.

People saying models like this are enabling people in less fortunate economic situations to be buying expensive hardware (like 700 dollar cellphones or a console with such a model) have to consider this:

Maybe these people shouldn't be owning such hardware in the FIRST place if they can't "truly" afford it!

It is one of the problems of our economy that every single last one feels entitled to having the EXACT same standard of living as the next guy.

Result=a large portion of the population is indebted to the brim and still think they are living the good life, well i guess in a way they ARE but at a cost they do not yet realize...

So yeah, i think this system of low prices + subscriptions are nothing but a way of TRAPPING consumers by dangling a carrot in front of their face that says "buy me, you can now afford me" but in the end are screwing the consumer over, because MS or other big companies don't give a crap about your economic situation, they just want to cash in as quickly and as much as possible!

coldfoot

Banned
accessing certain apps and online gaming are entirely different.
It's using the same internet connection for that as it is for store downloads, the only thing "different" about them is that they're behind a paywall unlike any other computer/electronic device that's on sale at the moment. It's not "entirely different", what a load of BS.

Perhaps I should have clarified that using the network connection means FULLY using the network connection, which is what I meant when I said that. Everyone here knows you can buy games and download demos without paying for XBL.

In either case, I'm not interested, I'd rather light a cigar with that money than to pay it for XBL. But I predict it'll be somewhat successful in the US.

It's using the same internet connection for that as it is for store downloads, the only thing "different" about them is that they're behind a paywall unlike any other computer/electronic device that's on sale at the moment. It's not "entirely different", what a load of BS.

Perhaps I should have clarified that using the network connection means FULLY using the network connection, which is what I meant when I said that. Everyone here knows you can buy games and download demos without paying for XBL.

In either case, I'm not interested, I'd rather light a cigar with that money than to pay it for XBL.

Yes, it is entirely different.

You claimed the network was subscription based, it's not.

coldfoot

Banned
Yes, it is entirely different.

You claimed the network was subscription based, it's not.

Being able to connect to anywhere besides Microsoft servers is subscription based on XBL. That's not much of a network if you ask me. Would you consider a PC connected to the internet if all it could access was microsoft.com and no other sites?

You need to keep paying Microsoft forever to be able to use 99.9% of your device's network capabilities. That's a fact. I just rounded that to 100% in my first post, hoping that my point would come across without getting stuck in semantics.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
You know what's a better option? Saving. Or maybe just an ounce of self control.

Here here.

Perhaps I'm getting old but if you can't afford a measly console outright then you probably shouldn't be buying it at all, at the very least save up for it.

I was excited over a $99 XBOX360 S until I read the subscription plan.

Still makes me wonder if MS (or Sony) will start making some drastic price drops this year once the Wii U hits and when it comes closer to next-gen.

Salacious Crumb

Here here.

Perhaps I'm getting old but if you can't afford a measly console outright then you probably shouldn't be buying it at all, at the very least save up for it.

even if I had the money to buy it outright, I would still get it on this contract and buy 3 or 4 games as well. If I get a 360 I want XBL Gold, so really I'm only paying an extra $1.60 a month for 2 years compared to someone who bought it outright.

This system could easily be abused by someone else or later on by MS themselves, but this deal is pretty fair.

saunderez

Maybe these people shouldn't be owning such hardware in the FIRST place if they can't "truly" afford it!

Or maybe they could afford it just fine if they saved $15 from their paycheck every week. At the end of the day its only $15 a month, if they can't afford that where are they getting the $99 to buy the console itself.

Top Bottom