• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm confused by that shirt the person in the front is wearing in the second link. "Redneck vs Commies + Nazis"

Are they protesting both the Nazis and the Antifa presence and saying they're a redneck?
Come on man, you of all people as a fellow radical should know better than to try to understand all the signs or shirts the people on the extremes hand make for this kind of stuff.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Are these people out-of-towners descending upon the place over the statue, or are these locals? My feelings are going with the latter since they haven't had the audacity to show up anywhere else.

From what I have read both factions are pretty much from out-of-town.

kirblar

Are these people out-of-towners descending upon the place over the statue, or are these locals? My feelings are going with the latter since they haven't had the audacity to show up anywhere else.
From what I've read it's primarily the former.

They're doing this now because school's about to be back in session.

Telling me exactly who you are by not doing anything, police. I mean, I already know what you are but your severe lack of presence there is not surprising.

Some of their propaganda posters, which I notice oddly none of the guys in that video are carrying just signs with their logo, are actually kind of well done in that way you appreciate Soviet era propaganda or the like.
What's with the fat ax thing that shows up in a lot of their shit?

Boke1879

Telling me exactly who you are by not doing anything, police. I mean, I already know what you are but your severe lack of presence there is not surprising.

Claim they won't do anything unless commanded to do so.

Yet showed UP in riot gear and all essentials at the mere hint of a BLM protest.

You mean this?

107524-004-BFB75D99.jpg

It's called a fasces and is the root of the term "fascism."

sphagnum

Banned

It's a fasces, a traditional sign of authority since Roman times. There's actually some on the walls of the House if you ever notice during the SotU, but later it became the symbol of fascism, hence the name.

benjipwns

Banned
It's a fasces:
90px-Fasces.svg.png

The root word for fascism is fascis which is "bundle", the bundle of sticks or rods symbolizes the individuals bundled as a united single nation. I assume the axe is to make it look cooler.

Claim they won't do anything unless commanded to do so.

Yet showed UP in riot gear and all essentials at the mere hint of a BLM protest.

Yup. I had friends at protests here in baton rouge for Alton. They were out with a quickness when protests started happening.

sphagnum

Banned
I always found it funny that a fasces is synonymous with another word for a bundle of sticks that these people would not take kindly to.

No disrespect to LGBTQ people.

I always found it funny that a fasces is synonymous with another word for a bundle of sticks that these people would not take kindly to.

No disrespect to LGBTQ people.

I saw the bundle, saw the name, made the connection and had a pretty good guffaw. The irony is palpable.

sphagnum

Banned
Hold up! Do these neo-nazis actively consider themselves to be facists?

Of course, that's the point of Nazism.

A general white racist might not be a fascist because they believe in free market libertarianism or whatever, but a Nazi will always be a Nazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom