• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension New Single-Player Screenshots

scently

The one thing in this game that is a clear step up from GOW3 is the lighting system. The use of real time lighting and shadows here is really impressive, I just can't imagine what a next gen GOW3 will be like. Fun times ahead.

As others have said... why don't you go watch the 30 minute video in 720p.

Because it's no good for judging the image quality due to the compression.

I'll remain sceptical about some of the shots until the game is out. For example, it's not out of the question that some are in-game and others are from pre-rendered cutscenes. GoW3 had them.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It will probably be some snoozefest like MGS Rising.

stmfzupjz5.gif

jett

D-Member
Nonsense. GOW manages a perfect combination of accessibility and depth. It need not be some combo heavy game to do this. Set pieces btw are part of gameplay.

For eg check this version of the demo - http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_god_of_war_ascension_e3_demo_direct_feed_-27579_en.html

He neither uses the repair mechanic in the combat nor the blade upgrade combos yet it is as satisfying to play as ever. Sure you can use those in the demo if you want but it plays perfectly and feels satisfying without doing that as well. The gameplay just works perfectly. There is a hypnotic addictive quality to GOW combat which is why it is so popular.

I have the demo, and I've played through all the main GOW games countless times. I know how it plays. It's fine, but it has been fine fine for 8 years. Major, fundamental changes in the combat would the series some good.

The gameplay is fine. And why would they follow other people when they are the genre leader?

Because there are talented people out there? Tragic from Vigil Games would be an excellent hire. In sales they are the genre leader, but not in combat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly. Have these people played God of War 3 on an HD TV?
Well...some TVs do a poor job scaling and the result is less clean than it should be.

You should see GOW3 on a native 1280x720 display, though. It's insanely clean.

The sub-pixel aliasing is the one weakness that rears its head in certain areas but, from what I'm seeing, the visuals this time are a bit less contrasty and seem to side step the issue more often (though you can see it in some shots).

You can also see the lack of AF in spots, but due to the fixed camera angles, it generally manages to remain hidden as it only shows up when surfaces are viewed at steeper angles.

LoS and Darksiders 2 could be B tier IMO, while DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden games are the A Tier.
Lord of Shadows is segmented as hell and runs at ~20 fps most of the time. It has serious problems that prevent it from shining. God of War is a much smoother experience and infinitely more polished. That alone elevates it for me.

I have the demo, and I've played through all the main GOW games countless times. I know how it plays. It's fine, but it has been fine fine for 8 years. Major, fundamental changes in the combat would the series some good.
I actually thought they made pretty big changes in GOW3. Combat flowed so much more smoothly as a result of the grappling attacks (reeling yourself into an enemy). It allowed you to move much more smoothly around the battlefield.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'll defend GOW's combat system for what it is whenever someone woefully mischaracterizes it, but Jett's not wrong that it could have undergone a lot more improvement in 6 iterations and over 8 years cumulative development time.

I appreciate GOW holistically; it's got a lot more going for it in non-combat areas than the A-tier Japanese action games, but the combat could be deeper without sacrificing accessibility. Bayonetta is evidence of this.

LoS and Darksiders 2 could be B tier IMO, while DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden games are the A Tier.

I agree with your A-tier. Haven't played Darksiders 2 but I wouldn't put LoS above GOW in anything other than length. Maybe voice acting. Not writing. I give LoS credit for having its own combat system that is not obviously a clone of any particular game, but there are too many issues with enemy readability and hit-boxes for me to put it at the same level as GOW.

jett

D-Member
LoS had its issues but it's a solid start and what it had going for it that it played different from other games in the genre. I hope LoS2 improves upon all aspects. I personally ended up enjoying the combat a bit more than GOW3's. GOW3 is the better game despite this, though.

The only console game that can dethrone God Of War 3 is another God Of War made by SMS.

Hah, exactly. GOW3 has been the undisputed king in my eyes for 3 years now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
LoS had its issues but it's a solid start and what it had going for it that it played different from other games in the genre. I hope LoS2 improves upon all aspects. I personally ended up enjoying the combat a bit more than GOW3's. GOW3 is the better game despite this, though.

I'm definitely looking forward to LoS2. With a lot of minor improvements it could be really great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm definitely looking forward to LoS2. With a lot of minor improvements it could be really great.
Well, the solution has already been announced in the form of a PC port. Any framerate issues the console versions struggle with will be wiped away on the PC so it's not an issue.

Shame the first game had no PC release.

elbourreau

Well, the solution has already been announced in the form of a PC port. Any framerate issues the console versions struggle with will be wiped away on the PC so it's not an issue.

Some rumors bundled it with the collector PC edition!

I-hate-u

I don't think comparing Gow with DMC/Bayo is fair. I consider them different genres within the action game portfolio. Gow is more comparable to Darksiders and Los than games like DMC and NG

KalBalboa

Banned
I actually thought they made pretty big changes in GOW3. Combat flowed so much more smoothly as a result of the grappling attacks (reeling yourself into an enemy). It allowed you to move much more smoothly around the battlefield.

The grab move that allowed you to use an enemy as a plow of sorts changed up the pace a good amount too.

God of War has always had a little Zelda to it too, in my opinion, especially when compared to Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta. There's a bit of traversal and spacial puzzles that are more frequent and brought front-and-center in a God of War title to break up the action.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

This thread isn't about LoS so I won't get into it, but framerate was far from my primary issue with the game. I'll grant that it would have helped enemy legibility, which was one of my issues with the combat.

dankir

I still don't get how his skin is white as in previous games. I thought his wife and child are alive in this?

Raptor

I'll defend GOW's combat system for what it is whenever someone woefully mischaracterizes it, but Jett's not wrong that it could have undergone a lot more improvement in 6 iterations and over 8 years cumulative development time.

I appreciate GOW holistically; it's got a lot more going for it in non-combat areas than the A-tier Japanese action games, but the combat could be deeper without sacrificing accessibility. Bayonetta is evidence of this.

I agree with your A-tier. Haven't played Darksiders 2 but I wouldn't put LoS above GOW in anything other than length. Maybe voice acting. Not writing. I give LoS credit for having its own combat system that is not obviously a clone of any particular game, but there are too many issues with enemy readability and hit-boxes for me to put it at the same level as GOW.

LoS combat was held back by that "out of timing frame" or whatever it was that made parry hard to pull because the animation didn't synced with the actual hit, if that were addresed with a patch or something the combat would have ascended to something completly incredible, still parry felt awesome once you adjusted to that.

GoW3 combat was nice and fun but was not as deep nor as "punchy" as LoS was thats why I put it above it and not below of GoW3 it in terms of pure combat terms.

Sn4ke_911

I still don't get how his skin is white as in previous games. I thought his wife and child are alive in this?

BEFORE HE WAS A GOD, HE WAS A MAN

Vengeance is born in the fires of betrayal in this prequel to the best-selling God of War franchise. Six months have passed since Kratos stood over the bodies of his wife and child, his hands stained with their blood - tricked by Ares into murdering the only people he ever loved. Swearing to avenge them, Kratos broke the blood oath that bound him to Ares, but oaths to Olympus are not so easily broken... Sentenced to an eternity chained within a prison for the living damned, Kratos battles insanity at the hands of the Furies. He will be tested as he seeks freedom, redemption for his sins, and the clarity to avenge his family.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I don't understand comments like this. Why would you say that? aren't the graphics pretty enough for you? imo this is the best looking console game yet.

No, they aren't pretty enough for me.

Half of the reason GoW games appeal to me is the spectacle of it all. The graphics and scale being a huge part of that.

I said the game looks good, because it does. However, its only a marginal upgrade from GoWIII, and not because of lack of talent, the PS3 hardware just does not leave much room for improvement a this point. So rather than get another game out right at the end of a generation that lasted 8 years, I would have rather seen them hold of and make it a next gen launch title and wait an extra 9 months or so to see it. It would be well worth it for me. Instead, we get GoW:A as a PS3 swan song, and have to wait YEARS to see what they can do with GoW on next gen hardware.

The first screen shot has him in his natural skin tone, not white. Games has segments and flashbacks it appears that show him with his normal skin, but actual game is mainly set months after

Sn4ke_911

Neptune is the roman name for Poseidon, fyi. :p

Poseidon and Neptune are both gods of the sea, but they are not the same god. They are, however, often associated with each other nowadays because they are both sea deities.

In Greek mythology the god is known as Poseidon and in Roman mythology he is called Neptune.

They are in many ways similar althoughthe Romans had a slightly different way of looking at things than the Greek and several attitudes were altered in the two cultures and so each god they has different traits and myths attached to them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_Poseidon_and_Neptune_the_same_god

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
LoS combat was held back by that "out of timing frame" or whatever it was that made parry hard to pull because the animation didn't synced with the actual hit, if that were addresed with a patch or something the combat would have ascended to something completly incredible, still parry felt awesome once you adjusted to that.

GoW3 combat was nice and fun but was not as deep nor as "punchy" as LoS was thats why I put it above it and not below of GoW3 it in terms of pure combat terms.

Yes, LoS definitely had a good, punchy feel. The timing issues were exactly what kept me from enjoying the combat at anything beyond a superficial level. I love parry systems; I just didn't love the execution on this one.

Top Bottom