• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Switch hinted

Which is it?

Results are only viewable after voting.
If it was gonna be the pocket edition why wouldn't they just announce it now? It's certainly not graphically near what the Switch is capable of (or frankly any last gen system either) so it's not like they would have trouble getting it up and running. If it isn't FF15 full version it will be something else I imagine

extralite

Multiple cartridges then? PC version takes 170GB. Console version is ~50GB.

This is looking at it the wrong way. You forget that the memory limit of cartridges goes hand in hand with performance limits of the Switch hardware. PS4 has a much larger GPU bus bandwidth than Switch, allowing it to use more detailed assets. Just like PC has even better performance than PS4 and even better assets, resulting in over three times the size of the PC version compared to PS4.

So if you downgrade the assets to make the game run on Switch, it will also be small enough to fit on a cartridge. Actually that should be your first step in porting anything to Switch. Downgrade the assets. With a scaling engine, it should be very near to performing on Switch already if you do that.

Of course games will look better on PS4 compared to Switch. They also look better on PC compared to PS4. But Switch offers added portability, so that's an excuse.

If it was gonna be the pocket edition why wouldn't they just announce it now? It's certainly not graphically near what the Switch is capable of (or frankly any last gen system either) so it's not like they would have trouble getting it up and running. If it isn't FF15 full version it will be something else I imagine

We don't know what it will look like. I hope we don't have to find out too long.

FinalAres

The Switch can't handle anything near FFXV x whereas it could with some ease, handle the pocket edition with better frame rate. I'd say it's a better fit for the traditional Nintendo audience too. It'll be the pocket edition.

butman

I don't think it's going to be the PS4/XB1/PC version of the game downgraded.

I would absolutely love it if it was and would buy it but I think it's going to be something else.

Maybe it is the Pocket Edition. Maybe it's still something different.

Sure, like DQ XI.

We don't know what it will look like. I hope we don't have to find out too long.

We don't even know what it will be period. They just hinted FF15 but considering all the FF15 stuff they showed today that could literally mean anything.

The Switch can't handle anything near FFXV x whereas it could with some ease, handle the pocket edition with better frame rate. I'd say it's a better fit for the traditional Nintendo audience too. It'll be the pocket edition.

Again, if it was the pocket edition why wouldn't they just announce it right now? Why hint at it? It wouldn't be a difficult port and it would have to try really hard to run worse than what they showed of the pocket version. If it isn't the full FF15 I am expecting it to be something else entirely related to the FF15 universe.
I'm expecting it to be the full FF15

Keinning

Porting the PC version won't make the Switch stronger than it is. You're being very trustful of a pc port you saw nothing yet to say "YEAH THE SWITCH CAN HANDLE IT", specially when this is square enix. The switch can't handle it, PS4 and Xbox One barely can. Does this mean it will get the pocket version instead? Probably not. But some people are being really dismissive and naïve about how easy would it be to port the whole game + dlc episodes + comrades to the switch, like the "downgrade to switch" button meme was actually real

Porting the PC version won't make the Switch stronger than it is. You're being very trustful of a pc port you saw nothing yet to say "YEAH THE SWITCH CAN HANDLE IT", specially when this is square enix. The switch can't handle it, PS4 and Xbox One barely can. Does this mean it will get the pocket version instead? Probably not. But some people are being really dismissive and naïve about how easy would it be to port the whole game + dlc episodes + comrades to the switch, like the "downgrade to switch" button meme was actually real

You act like downporting is a thing that has never happened. It has nothing to do with with a "downgrade" button, devs have been doing downports for AGES.

z0m3le

Banned

We lived through the 6th gen, PS2 got a lot of PC ports and heck even Gamecube to PS2 (RE4) is a smaller gap than XB1 to Switch.

You have to also remember that FF15 is an Nvidia Gameworks game, which means any Nvidia optimizations for Maxwell/Pascal are compatible with Switch's Maxwell+ GPU, and that part of the PC market is Intel integrated graphics, which even the higher end there only competes with Switch at best. Is a port of the main game possible? absolutely.

Lastly, if it was Pocket Edition, it would have been announced and released in 2 months for the Switch to catch the holiday season.

Keinning

You act like downporting is a thing that has never happened. It has nothing to do with with a "downgrade" button, devs have been doing downports for AGES.

No, i'm acting like downporting a full thing just cutting some bells & whistles isn't as easy as people are trying to make it be

We lived through the 6th gen, PS2 got a lot of PC ports and heck even Gamecube to PS2 (RE4) is a smaller gap than XB1 to Switch.

Ports that were in most cases inferior to the original material.
And this is what you don't seem to get - game doesn't run fine on the X1 at all, it's already too weak for it.

The rest is wishful thinking and i'm not saying the switch will get the pocket edition at all. It was my first post. I'm not even saying it wont get the full game. But i fully believe that if they try to get the full games, the cuts will be a lot bigger than what people are expecting here

FinalAres

Again, if it was the pocket edition why wouldn't they just announce it right now? Why hint at it? It wouldn't be a difficult port and it would have to try really hard to run worse than what they showed of the pocket version. If it isn't the full FF15 I am expecting it to be something else entirely related to the FF15 universe.
I'm expecting it to be the full FF15

Because game companies do not announce games until they are greenlit. SE are currently just considering Switch, but their priority is mobile. As soon as they greenlight it I'm sure the announcement will come, its too early.

You have to also remember that FF15 is an Nvidia Gameworks game, which means any Nvidia optimizations for Maxwell/Pascal are compatible with Switch's Maxwell+ GPU, and that part of the PC market is Intel integrated graphics, which even the higher end there only competes with Switch at best. Is a port of the main game possible? absolutely.

Lastly, if it was Pocket Edition, it would have been announced and released in 2 months for the Switch to catch the holiday season.

I don't think the gap between the Gamecube and the PS2 is smaller than the Switch and the Xbox1. Especially given we have to consider undocked mode for switch.

Otherwise though, yes the game is totally possible to port. I dunno when people will abandon the idea that you can't port to significantly weaker hardware. There are so many examples of it. If they want a port they can do it.

Because game companies do not announce games until they are greenlit. SE are currently just considering Switch, but their priority is mobile. As soon as they greenlight it I'm sure the announcement will come, its too early.

You don't hint at a game like this. It hasn't been green lit because it's not going to be the mobile version. May not be FF15 full version either. It could be something in universe given the way the chat was worded. But if they new they were porting the mobile version they would have just said so. Like Resident Evil Revelations where they just said coming at a later date.

RikuDawn

I mean everyone keeps assuming this will be some kind of downgraded port of FFXV but seeing as they've got this whole "FFXV universe" thing, I could see this just being something else entirely instead of some kind of port of the main game. I mean I'd personally like to see something original instead of buying a worse version of the same game except portable now.

Sadist

What is even the exact quote?
They want to do more with the (FF XV) franchise, can't give complete, solid details, but there is something out there, it sounds like Twitch, let's leave it that.

Afterwards they go on that everyone on the FF XV team loves that certain console. I assume they're in early development then.

Sandfox

Based on the clip it's hard to believe that whatever they are working on for Switch hasn't been greenlit.

Well, the Swtich is capable of run every modern game. Just drop the res and some settings and done. Is going to be interesting to see.

Keinning

I don't think the gap between the Gamecube and the PS2 is smaller than the Switch and the Xbox1. Especially given we have to consider undocked mode for switch.

Otherwise though, yes the game is totally possible to port. I dunno when people will abandon the idea that you can't port to significantly weaker hardware. There are so many examples of it. If they want a port they can do it.

Of course its possible to port to weaker software, but sacrifices have to be made for it. And i doubt GAF would take any cut content happily instead of blaming S-E for being lazy and not wanting to support the switch instead. Taking a game that already struggle in stronger hardware to a weaker one would require way more work than just reducing the resolution a tiny bit (and trust me resolution is already bad enough on the X1, i have that version)

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't even want to know how ugly it would look.

Xbox one version was pretty glaring to stare at already and it's running hardware way beyond a switch and is still 720p

How do they plan to get it to run? Hopes and dreams?

FinalAres

Yeah so...no. Switch is a handheld WiiU (slightly more powerful). Docked it can often but not always output 1080, which is great. Butts a whole generation away from the Xbox One. People really exaggerate the performance of the Switch and I don't understand why. There's no need. Its a great console.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SE: We have plans for FF on Switch.
GAF: No, you dont

Crystal Chronicles inbound.

That would be pretty great....4 player coop action would be sweet - actually FF Explorers could have been interesting if it was on a more powerful system than the 3DS.

It's an impressive game visually, but doesn't do much outside that that would make me think it couldn't get remade. Question is, how ugly is too ugly though LOL. I'd replay it if it came with all the DLC and some fixes. I really liked it, and wouldn't mind a round 2.

The game on xb1 drops to 720p to keep the fps stable.
Staying reasonable, i dont see how everyone is so confident its possible to port it.

(pls dont gimme that - every game can run on everything if downgraded enough argument)

I like the switch for what it is, but it struggles even with dq heroes 2. When i see switch run something close to xv's graphical complexity ill be with you. But right now i have a hard time swallowing it.

watershed

Banned
In all seriousness, it will be the base game with obvious downgrades. Fewer enemies on screen, lower res textures, lower res models for background elements, load times, missing effects, etc.

LordKano

The game on xb1 drops to 720p to keep the fps stable.
Staying reasonable, i dont see how everyone is so confident its possible to port it.

(pls dont gimme that - every game can run on everything if downgraded enough argument)

I like the switch for what it is, but it struggles even with dq heroes 2. When i see switch run something close to xv's graphical complexity ill be with you. But right now i have a hard time swallowing it.

Because the port was rushed to hell, not because of the hardware. You know that.

Top Bottom