• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

E92 M3

I don't think it is, just the gaming landscape has changed. People don't actually want to play challenging shooters anymore.

stilgar

From the same guy who deceitfully assembles every bit of video footage he can find of a faulty product to make it seem that the product is a disaster.

Fuck CrowbCat.

You take funny videos way too seriously.
It reminds me of people criticizing AVGN for being "unfair"

Kinyou

From the same guy who deceitfully assembles every bit of video footage he can find of a faulty product to make it seem that the product is a disaster.

Fuck CrowbCat.
This video doesn't focus on any technical aspects but the whole marketing around it and how it's hard to even standout.

Marcel

I don't think that all. In fact, Cliff is a really smart dude.

wWD6kc0.jpg

Cliffy is indeed emblematic of the cosmic brain meme

Pooya

Cliff is a nice guy that gets too much shit but yeah, he messed up with marketing his game. His attitude isn't as cool he thinks. I hope he keeps at making games, I like his games and Lawbreakers is pretty ok and deserves better.

I don't think it is, just the gaming landscape has changed. People don't actually want to play challenging shooters anymore.

I don't think that the market leader of FPS games being on the more casual side means that the landscape as a whole doesn't care about games with higher skill ceilings.

Lawbreakers doesn't need to be a market leader to be successful, hell it probably doesn't need to have 10% of the OW install base to be a success.

There could be (and probably are) a ton of reasons why LB isn't currently doing well. Some of it may have to do with what you're talking about, but to suggest that's the reason why it's probably not doing so hot (at least on PC) just comes across as naive.

Fuck CrowbCat.

I'm pretty sure the intention this time is to make a point about the marketing the game received, rather to say the game is a disaster.

I haven't seen any marketing for this game at all. No Youtube ads, no ads on GAF or Any other game sites.The game looks fun but wow did marketing fail this one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So in the initial sales thread I saw a lot of people mention that this game didn't have any marketing, but this video suggests they paid a zillion people to advertise this game.

hbkdx12

I realize this isn't the intent of the video, but, to me this just points out how often some critics can get lazy and just compare a new game to something they already know because it's just too dang hard to describe something in detail.
I feel like this is becoming a bigger trend where more and more people are describing games by focusing on what the game isn't rather than what it is

Lawbreakers isn't overwatch
Agents of mayhem isn't saints row
[insert RPG] isn't witcher 3

Granted a lot of these comparisons are bred out of having higher standards and expectations from high quality games and experiences but it creates a certain level of derision around a game that in some instances may be unfair if the game isn't trying to be the other game everyone keeps comparing it to. If the overwhelming consensus is that overwatch is a good game and people keep describing lawbreakers in the shadow of overwatch by saying it's not overwatch then it begins to paint a picture that it's bad without even judging it on its own merits and what it may do well.

I think this contributes to all the schadenfreude that people have been picking up on lately.

I didn't really see the point being made with this video.

There was the "Overwatch is for children" followed by a child winning at a LawBreakers event, but otherwise ... I don't get the video.

Like, there's a lot of praise for the game in the video and I was waiting for the turnaround, but there wasn't. And I haven't heard anything negative about the game really.

Welp, that was a weird video - CrowbCat videos usually have a through-line.
Basically that it sold poorly

Akainu

And not just a racist meme, but a meme that is used by and known primarily in /pol/ and other outstandingly hateful communities of the internet. No one would ever "accidentally" use that meme.

Either you know about it because you agree with it or you know about it because you are against it (in which case you wouldn't use it for comedy). Or you don't know about it at all (in which case it wouldn't use it at all).

Enough beating around the bush what is it?

Nokterian

So in the initial sales thread I saw a lot of people mention that this game didn't have any marketing, but this video suggests they paid a zillion people to advertise this game.

Not enough though i mean it is still out of the steam top 100 most played games. I haven't seen any marketing, like almost nothing even on the internet.

Yushi

Well this video totally made it feel like Lawbreaker is a good shooter in an oversaturated market.

Which impression seem to say what its happening.

Weird to see a balanced Crowbcat video. Usually such a dog pile. Cliff comes across in both positive and negative light. I'm not going to hold his catch phrases against him. The problem is with the media eating them up more than anything. edit. Also for pitching dumb questions and making dumb hot takes like "So what makes you different from Overwatch"

Wanted to like the game, wanted to give it a chance but the beta did not ease me into the objectives very well.

Ban Puncher

Cliff Bleszinski, David Jaffe and Randy Pitchford should team up and make the Dark Souls of Shit Games That Don't Sell.

CS:GO?

Player's Unknown?

To get big numbers like Overwatch, Players, or CS:GO you need to introduce them into an established community or foster it. You need something that tethers everyone together like how PUBG is twitch centered. You can't just make a game and hope it gets popular, that's silly.

VeeP

Lmao, I just saw his Xbox comments. Is this game really not on Xbox One? Lmao. "Xbox fanboys are salty" this guy lol.

Then he tells PC gamers to get over his comments about the PC years ago.

Probably true though lol

Maybe 5 years from now he'll go "Neogaf, I was wrong. Get over it, shit"

Kill3r7

I'm convinced that when people say "it had no marketing" they are referring to the lack of marketing targeted at them.

I guess unless a game has bazillion of billboards and TV ads, you can't say it had a lot of money marketing...

Is clear the game failed to create any hype/notoriety, to me seems that paying a bunch of youtubers to say silly stuff about your game is not a good option.

oh please

and you play titanfall 2, when LB is constantly mentioned as the fastest shooter ever and all that and the average tf2 player can maintain a better constant speed than LB that's hilarious

the video was shitty, just 10 minutes of iffy new age marketing and nothing about how the game actually plays

and crowbcat always seemed like a dick so the racism wouldn't surprise me and I'm not doubting it and now won't bother giving him clicks but I don't see anything in the supercut? did he edit it out or can someone give me a timestamp of the AC:O gameplay that isn't at the end?

What's his supposed racism in the E3 2017 supercut?

I don't know. I watched it and clearly missed it. But it's apparently 1 line out of a whole 18 minute video? I doubt the guy is a "racist white supremacist fuck" that people are making him out to be...

I guess unless a game has bazillion of billboards and TV ads, you can't say it had a lot of money marketing...

Is clear the game failed to create any hype/notoriety, to me seems that paying a bunch of youtubers to say silly stuff about your game is not a good option.

In all fairness we probably don't know how much the youtubers were actually paid, do we?

I'm pretty comfortable saying that the game didn't get billboard/TV ads, but I'm not totally comfortable saying the game got a lot of advertising money spent on it because I have no idea how much the sort of stuff they did actually costs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not enough though i mean it is still out of the steam top 100 most played games. I haven't seen any marketing, like almost nothing even on the internet.
Do you use adblock? Honest question.

I think it works okay if your game is actually seen as compelling, since then exposure helps, but the fundamental failure here was on the front end in terms of making an appealing game.

Like, by comparison, Foxhole, a game that actually had zero marketing, has sold 112,002 copies, while Lawbreakers has sold 61,802, and both games came out around a similar time and cost a similar amount of money. Foxhole is way more conceptually unique and interesting though.

stilgar

It become a problem when other people took his video way too seriously and use it as some kind of proof.

yes, but these people will always exist. "Taking satire seriously" is kind of the internet birth defect.
Plus this video is kind of balanced/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Doesn't explain Siege's success.

Siege was one of the first successful hero shooters to boot, so the genre actually took off with what's seen as a rather difficult game.

Not to mention a lot of the inspiration comes from merging class based shooters with MOBAs, which are not especially straightforward games.

sandpiper

Was trying to find it. I think it's at 4:07? I don't understand what the guy is saying though, and am not familiar with the meme, so it would have flown under my radar.

"We wuz kangs and shit, nigga."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/we-wuz-kings

“WE WUZ KINGZ”, also iterated as “KANGZ N SHIET”, is an expression primarily used by users of 4chan’s /pol/ (politically incorrect) board to poke fun at those who adhere to the Black Egyptian Hypothesis, an often disputed theory which postulates that Ancient Egypt was a Black civilization and that some of the most notable royal figures from the Dynastic era were of African ethnicity, including Tutankhamen, Cleopatra and Pharaoh Khafra, who is generally believed to be the face depicted on The Great Sphinx of Giza. In addition to its widespread usage on /pol/, the phrase has been also adopted by detractors of Pan-Africanism on other discussion forums, including white supremacist and nationalist websites.

The narrator opening with "WE," coupled with the game taking place in ancient Egypt, means that the twitch stream was filled with WE WUZ KANGS in twitch chat as soon as the narrator started talking.

Top Bottom