• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal (Gaikai or OnLive) at E3

SnowHawk

This is mine, not fast but it does the job. the upload is terrible though. :(

good enough for cloud gaming? I have no idea.

Boss Man

I hate my ISP. :(

When is everyone going to get another big boost like when we all went from dial-up to cable?

How long before fiber optic becomes the norm / easily affordable?

Boss Man

can someone please tell me why this would be such a big deal?
Cloud computing essentially replaces hardware with an Internet connection. This could be a huge deal for an unimaginable number of reasons that we can only really speculate about. Who knows how it'll work / what the goal is though? Guess we'll find out a bit at E3.

Basically, it opens up a ton of possibilities.

It opens up a lot of possibilities, but an equal number of potential problems.

It's risky. I think too much of a risk to leave the physical hardware space entirely, I don't think the world is developed enough to offer this kind of service to an acceptable standard at the moment. If Sony want to deliver content both in a physical manner and via Cloud service then I am all for that, however.

Boss Man

It's risky. I think too much of a risk to leave the physical hardware space entirely, I don't think the world is developed enough to offer this kind of service to an acceptable standard at the moment. If Sony want to deliver content both in a physical manner and via Cloud service then I am all for that, however.
I sincerely doubt that the thought of leaving the physical hardware space entirely is on anybody's mind with this. That's a very big leap. My best guess is that this will open a huge library of legacy games for PS3 + Vita and maybe some features for PS3 - Vita connectivity. Possibly even PS3 + Vita -- Phones + Tablets connectivity.

can someone please tell me why this would be such a big deal?

Sony will use this as a reason why PS4 doesn't have BC. Thus eliminating the need to spend any money on any PS3 parts in PS4 for BC and keep the base cost down.

In reality streaming gaming will never service the needs of most ppl and is just a cop out.

Ice cream = PS4 BC
Spoon with Ice cream = Streaming gaming (which doesn't work)

no_and_noy03z.gif

patsu

Even if the rumor is true, Sony won't leave the hardware space. The network move should complement/expand and consolidate their existing device centric approach.

Afrikan

yeah they have shown that they are willing to do so with pushing BluRay, while still working with Digital Content providers like Netflicks, Amazon, and heck even having Video Unlimited themselves.

I know Onlive requires a 3mb internet connection, but maybe if Sony is trying to reach alot of people....by having it only for a small resolution like the Vita for the time being, that 3mb requirement, could be lowered.

patsu

yeah they have shown that they are willing to do so with pushing BluRay, while still working with Digital Content providers like Netflicks, Amazon, and heck even having Video Unlimited themselves.

I know Onlive requires a 3mb internet connection, but maybe if Sony is trying to reach alot of people....by having it only for Vita for the time being, that 3mb requirement, could be lowered.

If they are serious about network gaming, I think they should do 2 prongs in parallel
* Stream "lightweight" games from datacenter to all devices
* Stream all games from PS3/4 to other devices locally (a la RemotePlay 2)

MoeB

This shit is gonna get implemented into the store, isn't it.

Imagine not having to download anymore demos, ever again! Awesome!

Omg Sony just won E3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sony will use this as a reason why PS4 doesn't have BC. Thus eliminating the need to spend any money on any PS3 parts in PS4 for BC and keep the base cost down.

In reality streaming gaming will never service the needs of most ppl and is just a cop out.

Ice cream = PS4 BC
Spoon with Ice cream = Streaming gaming (which doesn't work)
I just played Witcher 2 demo in my laptop's browser, over a wi-fi connection, so probably the worst possible scenario. It played fine and looked great, with a bit more lag than your typical 30FPS game. If that game was playable in this scenario for someone who's pretty discerning, I'd say streaming gaming does work, and will service the needs of most people. Or has what I just experienced not been a reality?

Omg Sony just won E3.

This is the most likely use for this.

EA already has demo portals powered by Gakai in which they do just that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Would this be to play PC games on your PS3/4/Vita/whatever or Sony putting their own games on the cloud and offering them on their platforms alone and no other onlive compatible platforms? Or both? Streaming PC games could be pretty big for them, having their own games maybe also if you could like play PS4 games on your PS3 and Vita, lol. But they wouldn't do that as they want to sell you each of their systems too I imagine, as I can't see them doing PS4 as a cheap streaming only box with not much in it considering how even digital-only (ok, slightly more hassle than streaming, and the system couldn't be as cheap as a system made purely for streaming could be, but with advantages over that in reliability and ownership) worked out for PSP Go...

Well, if it works on Vita I'm sure people could go "now it plays PC games so it has the best portable library ever" if it does play them but I certainly wouldn't buy a new system just to play games I can play on my PC (with or without using onlive which I've not been compelled to do yet) and any other device that gets an onlive app in the future, portable or not. Its own library has to shine.

It does make you think though, if that's the direction one or all of these first parties would go in the future once fast internet is more widespread etc. Sell a super cheap box made just for streaming and basic utility apps yet present people with amazing graphics that they could even upgrade as they go without changes to the user hardware, as long as they have the internet connection to match. I'd hate the lag personally but I'm sure the majority of their audience wouldn't care outside having actual issues like freezing and what not on their end, considering how they also don't care about sub par frame rates and resolution and other issues in many games etc. While giving the first party even more control and also eliminating piracy and used games.

But the downside to that is that any other company could also present their own streaming box, just as cheap, with the same features, and only lacking Sony's or whatever's exclusive and first party games, and making up for it with their own. And of course PCs and tablets would also incorporate such features and any company could present their own cheap solution, and only lacking a first party software output. Hell, even third parties could offer their own box and not tie themselves to any other manufacturer. With hardware that cheap and simple they could just sell subscriptions or whatever to their library and send hardware licenced from whoever to their users for free if they don't already have another compatible device, a PC, tablet, PS4, WiiU2 or whatever. When the user's hardware becomes essentially meaningless then why would anyone need a first party to begin with? Just about any company could enter the war or make their games available everywhere, there'd probably be even less exclusives outside first party ouput which to be honest is mostly only important for Nintendo which holds some of the most massive franchises.

I dunno, things could go all sorts of ways. But again that would be for the future if fast internet adoption reaches much further, or to begin with as a limited supplementary market to the way things are done now. Much like onlive currently is I guess.

I sincerely doubt that the thought of leaving the physical hardware space entirely is on anybody's mind with this. That's a very big leap. My best guess is that this will open a huge library of legacy games for PS3 + Vita and maybe some features for PS3 - Vita connectivity. Possibly even PS3 + Vita -- Phones + Tablets connectivity.
That bit of my comment was directed partially at the rumour not too long ago of one of the big three leaving the physical console market, or something of that nature, which would relate somewhat to offering a Cloud service
It's very unlikely they will take the jump entirely, maybe just a wee hop

Either way, this is Sony basically securing their standing in the future generation(s), by taking a step in this direction, which the entertainment industry in it's entirety is moving towards (Cloud based, streaming service)
It's a good business strategy, might not necessarily see the full benefits of this in the next few years, but it will definitely come to fruition some time in the future

Boss Man

It's a good business strategy, might not necessarily see the full benefits of this in the next few years, but it will definitely come to fruition some time in the future
Yeah, I think it'll probably introduce some neat stuff at first, gradually adding some convenience here and there that may or may not work so well for most people.

Eventually it'll probably be something as automatic / obvious as supporting online multiplayer. It'll probably grow in a similar fashion as well.

In 15 years when we're playing Space Miner 9, which runs on a 57 Gigaderps system, on our Google iEye (which is integrated directly into our eyeballs and runs at only 10 Gigaderps), we'll see this as an important moment.

Yeah, I think it'll probably introduce some neat stuff at first, gradually adding some convenience here and there that may or may not work so well for most people.

Eventually it'll probably be something as automatic / obvious as supporting online multiplayer. It'll probably grow in a similar fashion as well.

Yeah, ultimately both Nintendo and Microsoft will have to offer a similar service in future to stay relevant in the industry, so kudos to Sony for being the first to take the plunge (If true, of course)

Wow at all of you people having high speeds internet.

I only have around 5 Megabyte download and 500kb upload...maybe I need to look into getting internet only thing and drop AT&T. I don't know any good places to drop the phone, or phone + internet thats cheap around Mississippi. I pay $40 for my intermet amd it randomly disconnects alot which fustrate me to no end, especially when playing a 3DS online game or Halo 3 online!

...now that rant is out've the way, a OnLive deal would be would be cool. Being able to buy games or get that monthly deal would be pretty cool. i assume that Gaikai is pretty much the exact thing so that would be cool to.

To bad I won't have a prepaid credit card for the next six months. But would be cool to see these services on PS3...and Vita. Really Vita now.

If that game was playable in this scenario for someone who's pretty discerning, I'd say streaming gaming does work, and will service the needs of most people. Or has what I just experienced not been a reality?

You =/= "most people". The average kid with no leverage to buy a router with QoS options or increase bandwidth will look at it as an laggy mess whilst sister is watching funneez on youtube.

And to forstall "well just wait until 6 years time, then it will be good!", yea I usually don't delve into those "wait until / will save" debates. Sounds like just admitting it will be shit for the most part for some years. Not to mention there's are some potential problems as time goes on as more household devices (phones, TV's etc) compete for bandwidth and streaming becomes more popular in general (Netflix, voice chat).

Just being realistic with this.

Boss Man

You =/= "most people". The average kid with no leverage to buy a router with QoS options or increase bandwidth will look at it as an laggy mess whilst sister is watching funneez on youtube.

And to forstall "well just wait until 6 years time, then it will be good!", yea I usually don't delve into those "wait until / will save" debates. Sounds like just admitting it will be shit for the most part for some years. Not to mention there's are some potential problems as time goes on as more household devices (phones, TV's etc) compete for bandwidth and streaming becomes more popular in general (Netflix, voice chat).

Just being realistic with this.
I was able to stream The Witcher and play it fine on WiFi with a connection that is apparently almost exactly average (52nd percentile).

I also think it's safe to assume that the average connection speed of people who own game consoles is higher than normal.

That, coupled with the fact that the average connection speed is going to increase significantly way sooner than 6 years into the future makes this forward-thinking, but only slightly. I think you're underestimating how fast technology is growing, and how practical this technology already is.

For reference, YouTube barely existed 6 years ago. Google is about 10.

patsu

Yes, keeping it realistic is important for engineering purposes. As such, they should plan around the lightweight games first. I'm playing P3P now, and it doesn't look so intensive. So games like this should go up to the library first.

I was told Gaikai also has progressive download feature. *If true* It would be useful for changing bandwidth usage too.

Quasar

I cant say I'm very interested given how second class it is. Of course I feel the same way about video streaming.

Of course I also don't like the idea of exaccerbating the have/have-nots division amongst people wanting to play videogames.

Plus the way these things are setup I would not be able to play with most of my gaming friends who live far away from Australia. And thats assuming they magically solve the lag issue or setup servers in Australia.

Shockamoto

Neo Member
A while back I signed a long-term ISP contract with a traveling salesman who had a pointy beard. Do you guys think I'm getting good speeds?

speedtestux.png

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So what will you all say when Sony announces a huge PS1 and PS2 collection for Plus members streaming to your PS3, Vita, and PC?

I bet you will be able to login to your PSN account through the PC and stream games to your PC and use a PSN controller as well as your vita and PS3...

All the rumors about windows 8 playing 360 games and now Sony counters with a PC client as well..

Koren

That, coupled with the fact that the average connection speed is going to increase significantly way sooner than 6 years into the future makes this forward-thinking, but only slightly. I think you're underestimating how fast technology is growing, and how practical this technology already is.
I'm less worried by bitrates than by ping and QoS. I can't stand TV sets latency, so I'll have hard times using this kind of solutions (and I'm not playing FPS, that's a far more general issue).

I may be in the minority, though.

That being said, someone said Rayman played fine on OnLine, I'd like to know whether he finished all ten teeth and the hidden level? I sure hope the latency is constant in this case.

For reference, YouTube barely existed 6 years ago. Google is about 10.
Probably closer to 15, since I remember using it back in 1998 to replace Altavista...

(your point still stand)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I just played Witcher 2 demo in my laptop's browser, over a wi-fi connection, so probably the worst possible scenario. It played fine and looked great, with a bit more lag than your typical 30FPS game. If that game was playable in this scenario for someone who's pretty discerning, I'd say streaming gaming does work, and will service the needs of most people. Or has what I just experienced not been a reality?

I played Witcher 2 as well the other day and then Crysis 2. Oddly enough, Crysis 2 was more responsive than Witcher 2. I could tell immediately looking at on-screen pointers in both games. The Witcher 2 one was quite laggy compared to the Crysis 2 one (in the menus of course).

Anyway, playing Crysis 2 at *that* level of detail on my 2008 MacBook Pro blew my mind :D

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
1972911187.png

Weirdly, I actually live in India and not in the US!!!! I have no idea what happened. Maybe our Uni uses AT&T as service provider.
I generally use IDM to download anything. Gives me double the speed here. Will miss the uni net so much after I get out of here.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Not seen anyone state this, but maybe this is Sony's answer to the Steam Box...

Add this to PS3's where you can play PS3 games and also get access to PC games. If this was possible it could reduce the need for a steam box for alot of people.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Add this to PS3's where you can play PS3 games and also get access to PC games. If this was possible it could reduce the need for a steam box for alot of people.

I don't really see how its anything like Steambox. Steambox is trying to turn Steam into your PS3, being able to play your PS1/PS2/PS3 games on your laptop, your vita, hell even your tablet really is completely different.

Would be so damn awesome if this was what it was (if there is anything). Probably won't be that awesome though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Omg Sony just won E3.
Uncle Moe!

Seems most likely. Stream the demos. Steam videos. Stream...some full games you purchase? Imagine purchasing the streaming version of Dragon's Dogma 2 and having it up in seconds.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the part where I bitch about AT&T?

1973024069.png

$45 a month baby! And with a 150GB cap.

So safe to say no streaming for me anytime soon.

Smh. People seriously need to give up on the idea of having access to PC games. You will be able to access games on the service that are also on PS3.

Top Bottom