• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hybrid by 5th Cell (Scribblenauts) Beta Sign Up - XBLA

Dynamic3

T69CH-63GMG-WKQXM-GJW93-X23YZ
T69D9-4GWPG-JJ2CX-3KP92-C2TPZ
T69JY-Y2KX9-GY3FD-792XK-JJC7Z
T69TY-WCKWT-4VQMH-GVT63-4FDFZ
T69VX-GYWW6-QKXMR-WQ46V-9QX2Z
T6C4F-TG49H-DYFJV-X9DTV-HT42Z
T6CCF-M9GRQ-YCQ2J-QRXWD-WDDTZ
T6D26-D7DVT-C2DRV-T3DQ2-JPFGZ
T6DGY-GYHJ6-7MGF4-MKK97-RXW3Z
T6DXM-XQ4K7-Y79XW-DH4Y6-H9RPZ
T6G9V-VHJYV-GMV3Y-9H3Y3-9T3RZ
T6GQ7-JM3DV-7HCJ4-RDJKC-KHFKZ
T6JQ6-9V3TH-W9G2Y-TYR3W-CY7PZ
T6KCR-3FDGP-WTG6D-T6JJ2-MG9YZ
T6KDK-VJQJ6-PR7DF-Y2QGF-PH3HZ
T6KVM-M4DTF-MVVC4-6KXK7-KCR6Z
T6M4M-FVVC7-9XCV9-6TKGV-7GGMZ
T6MKW-4Y6C7-TRF2V-FGVYP-WVG3Z
T6MQH-RMRX6-7YQYC-C7YH9-YFVDZ
T6P4M-C679K-7MHQH-KJ6KV-D9FVZ

Thank you!

T6KVM-M4DTF-MVVC4-6KXK7-KCR6Z <- I used this one (i don't know how to do a strikethrough here)

Thanks!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, what a code dump, get in on this game, people! :)

I had a good amount of fun. I like working as the Stategic positioning Sniper on a team, with people backed up by things like Grenades and boost. Being able to gather your own little war troops is very nice, and the screech of the assassin girl bot is the perfect "IT'S THE WITCH!" style freak-out when you hear it coming.

Haven't advanced too far yet, but I really like the King of the Hill mode in this game. Forces people to play strategically, and the game is at it's best when people are doing so.

There's not much air-to-air combat happening in the games I've been in, mostly cover-to-cover warefare, but it's great to know there are abilities and weapons that encourage in-fighting and position-rushing. Even as a wimpy little Sniper, I can depend on droids to help "Finish the fight", even if the player gets me along the way.

Things I'd appreciate:
  • A loadout modifier BEFORE getting into matches. At least somewhere out-of-game, to look at the weapons and abilities.
  • Previews of what skill or wep you're working towards between levels. Maybe not even a full description, but just something that teases it.
  • A better zoom sniper rifle! Probably will get this through leveling, though ;)

Little things I noticed:
  • There's ALWAYS a risk with shooting. Even after you stop blind-firing, you're still open for a moment after it. Really suggest that you should pick your shots very carefully.
  • Same with vaulting over cover. Along with the quick-death time, it really makes every moment feel "dangerous".
  • What's with the robotic voice that speaks about the war being over, and how they come in peace? LoL. Somehow, I don't believe them!
  • I like the fact that one stage has huge cannons apparently fighting some other battle as you fight your own. Adds some depth to the "ongoing war" situation.

Should be very fun to get into the full game, and the presistent war is something I missed from Chromehounds back in the day... I have too much fun playing Tekkaman Space Knights VS ODST-style Spartan Armor, lol.

Looking forward to playing more later on!

V_Ben

Banned
Dang, got excited by the opportunity to redeem a code and play the beta, and then I remembered that the MP will be gold only. So, I think I have a code from gamespot if somebody wants it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to my code donor! Gonna fire it up as soon as it's done downloading. I know absolutely NOTHING about this game, so should be interesting. Shoot me a message if you want to join up. GT = shanti 666.

Naturally the unlocking things is stupid, but if you're going to do it, don't give me missions for weapons/abilities I don't have yet.

I really hope the matchmaking isn't broken up into all those individual hot zone territory things.

Having a lot of trouble finding a King of the Hill match. People seem to be trending towards deathmatch

That Defense Array map is terrible or I'm completely missing some flanking route.

A little more damage feedback maybe?

OK, the Gambler seems seriously overpowered. It's a OHK with no way to defend against it. Am I missing something? Dying to it feels like I'm getting cheated.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't let me redeem the code, I presume because of the region. Too bad, I too am looking forward to some Teknoman.

Rokam

OK, the Gambler seems seriously overpowered. It's a OHK with no way to defend against it. Am I missing something? Dying to it feels like I'm getting cheated.

50/50 chance to kill the user. Also fuck king of the hill. No one on my team ever actually goes for the hill. SIGH!

50/50 chance to kill the user.

So if it kills you, does that either make you lose a point or give the other team a point in TDM?

Regardless, I find it difficult to rationalize why a developer would deliberately add an RNG mechanic to a competitive multiplayer game.

50/50 chance to kill the user. Also fuck king of the hill. No one on my team ever actually goes for the hill. SIGH!

... wait what. What the hell is this gambler thing? Is there somewhere I can find info on the weapons perks etc. in hybrid? Google fails me.

Rokam

There's no way the pump shotgun doesn't end up getting nerfed :(. Same damage & higher accuracy than the double barrel, but the reload is so much better. Been dominating matches since I got it. In one I managed to get 2 Preyons back to back, and it wasn't a bug, just obliterated a group :/. Also just got access to Flashbang Grenades can't wait to annoy people with them.

I've been working my way up the Armored Specialization so far the abilities I've unlocked are:
Meta Shield- Start with this ability
Siphon - Shots steal health
Smoke Grenade - Exactly what you think, takes up quite a bit of space, extremely useful for escaping or surprise attacking
Flash Bang - Haven't used yet.

I believe there's one more ability but it takes nearly double the total experience in Armored that I've earned so far.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh my, forgive me if I'm wrong here but did the dev really pick red and green as the colors to identify teams?

As a color blind chap, I'm finding the game extremely difficult to play. I can't make out who the bad guys are.

Need a colorblind mode here, stat.
This is actually a pretty key point -- some games like League of Legends have color blind modes for this reason, I think.

charsace

Used: T6C4F-TG49H-DYFJV-X9DTV-HT42Z
You guys need to put the codes you give away in email link so that lurkers don't come in and snatch them up.

Played it, wow this game is just not for me. Got my ass kicked and did not really have any fun. Granted I don't generally like adversarial MP games but every now and then I make an exception; this is not going to be one of them.

I think 5th Cell made a big mistake by not including any kind of SP or co op content. I mean other than Battlefield 1943 how many MP only XBLA games have succeeded?

VashTS

Game is pretty fun, but some of the weapons need some tweaking.

I think I'm about level 22 or so and I'm destroying everyone with the later guns.
I also see no point in using any other equipment than the hack nades. The later nades/equipment seem useless in comparison. IE: flash nades, smoke nades.

Atomski

Played it, wow this game is just not for me. Got my ass kicked and did not really have any fun. Granted I don't generally like adversarial MP games but every now and then I make an exception; this is not going to be one of them.

I think 5th Cell made a big mistake by not including any kind of SP or co op content. I mean other than Battlefield 1943 how many MP only XBLA games have succeeded?

Monday Night Combat did pretty well. But I agree.. multiplayer only games on XBLA are terrible. The community for them seems to die extremely fast.

Now if they released it on Steam.. that would be another story.

El Sloth

Banned
Good to hear people are enjoying it so far. Shame I couldn't get in.

Edit: Missed Jackson's post. Used T6G9V-VHJYV-GMV3Y-9H3Y3-9T3RZ
Thanks a lot, dude!

Oh and you do Strikethrough on this forum by typing "strike" in [] and [/]

jgkspsx

T6KVM-M4DTF-MVVC4-6KXK7-KCR6Z
Thanks a bunch! Can't believe there was still one left.

Rokam

Game is pretty fun, but some of the weapons need some tweaking.

I think I'm about level 22 or so and I'm destroying everyone with the later guns.
I also see no point in using any other equipment than the hack nades. The later nades/equipment seem useless in comparison. IE: flash nades, smoke nades.

Yeah I'm 21 and dominating with the pump shotgun, shield, and armored. Hack nades don't really bother me as I take quite some time to die from the bots. I feel bad getting in a game with a bunch of level 5's :(, but I assume this is something easily fixed once the game is launched and there's more people.

Edit: Level 26, 28 and 22 against a bunch of level 5's. Feels bad man.

Edit:Edit: That was a hilarious match, they all just grouped at one end on the Generator map and had 3 warbringers out and I just popped shield and annihilated them. Think I'll take a break for now to let other people catch up on levels. Have only seen one Paladin over 20 :(.

Tried to get into a game with a friend, I was level 10 he was level 5, just sat at waiting for players (1/6). Is matchmaking working with a party?

VashTS

Also the Gamble pistol is really OP. I can easily snipe people from across the bigger maps with it. It's 100% accurate, and the repercussions of the blow-up/death are not a big deal at all.

Yeah I'm 21 and dominating with the pump shotgun, shield, and armored. Hack nades don't really bother me as I take quite some time to die from the bots. I feel bad getting in a game with a bunch of level 5's :(, but I assume this is something easily fixed once the game is launched and there's more people.

Considering it's an XBLA title and that they've effectively cut their matchmaking ability in half, somehow I think it'll still be a problem. Fucking Halo has trouble matchmaking even teams, and they have a massive pool of players and no level balancing to worry about.

But hey, at least we get to fill bars.

Played it for the first time tonight. Three games. First one I didn't get a single kill, died constantly on the vertical cover. Second game it clicked and I was flyin' places, shootin' faces. Third game we won by one kill. You really have to watch your back. All in all, I was very impressed. The controls feel great, but I need to spend more time with the flight controls because right now I end up mashin' buttons and get shot down trying to reach safety. Looking forward to some more playtime tomorrow!

Man, I'm so hot and cold on this. Some matches feel amazing, I feel like this is one of those games where you need a good team to get a lot out of it. With only 3 to a side, if you have people over duplicating a role, or a role missing it just gets frustrating. It's hard to be the epic hero here, you have to work as a team, but when I just grab a team, and they both pick the same kit (Frag grenades, basic assault rifle) and never use their grenades, it's easy to get pinned down.

This is actually a pretty key point -- some games like League of Legends have color blind modes for this reason, I think.

Yep. Battlefield 3 on the PC just included a colorblind mode. Lots of games do.

But at the very least, don't pick red + green.

The game is essentially unplayable for me.

You can hijack the voting system by leaving and re-entering the lobby. Your old vote stays and you can add another one.

Getting a lot of disconnect/time out errors.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tried for around 7 minutes to get a match in a "hotspot' in North America and it was a no-go.

It certainly is an XBLA multiplayer game. I'll try again tomorrow afternoon.

1upmuffin

I played a few matches yesterday and wanted to share my opinions on it.

The good: Fast, small matches, intense, and interesting mechanics. I had fun while I was playing, and the kill streak rewards are really cool until that ninja robot thing, that one is dumb, and does nothing but annoy people it kills.

The bad: They do so much to make it hard to find games, like put people on different matchmaking paths with these hotspot places AND make you pick a team.

I picked the team that started me at level 5 thinking it was there to balance the teams out, but when I tried to join a match, my team filled up all the way immediately and it took 5 minutes for the other team to find members. These two features seem awesome in concept but they really detract from the matchmaking experience.

My suggesting to them is to remove the whole idea of "choose where you want to fight" and just make you fight for one place at a time, and when that place is done, move the spot somewhere else.

Also, this suggesting would ruin all their ideas, but it would be much better if they scrapped all the world map stuff and just assigned people to teams on a match by match basis like other games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really like the metagame they've built around the whole game to string all the matches together, but so far, I'm pretty lukewarm on the actual gameplay.

I'd love to see who is positive and who is negative about the game. I suspect people who play a lot of shooters might actually be kind of down on the game, because it's so different from what they're used to.

I personally find the movement pretty restricting, and would rather i had full control over my movement.

There's definitely a steep learning curve, and I'm guessing that if you play shooters regularly, the curve might be steeper. I'm interested in checking out more because I love the metagame and how it's set up, but I really don't like the way they designed the movement. It's a lot to get used to immediately after playing BF3 and Kid Icarus Uprising.

I played a few matches yesterday and wanted to share my opinions on it.

The good: Fast, small matches, intense, and interesting mechanics. I had fun while I was playing, and the kill streak rewards are really cool until that ninja robot thing, that one is dumb, and does nothing but annoy people it kills.

The bad: They do so much to make it hard to find games, like put people on different matchmaking paths with these hotspot places AND make you pick a team.

I picked the team that started me at level 5 thinking it was there to balance the teams out, but when I tried to join a match, my team filled up all the way immediately and it took 5 minutes for the other team to find members. These two features seem awesome in concept but they really detract from the matchmaking experience.

My suggesting to them is to remove the whole idea of "choose where you want to fight" and just make you fight for one place at a time, and when that place is done, move the spot somewhere else.

Also, this suggesting would ruin all their ideas, but it would be much better if they scrapped all the world map stuff and just assigned people to teams on a match by match basis like other games.

Yeah, I feel the same way. As much as I like the metagame they've set up, it takes WAY WAY too long to find a match. It's a novel concept, but I felt the whole time I was sitting around waiting for a game that I'd rather just have a server browser so I could pick a map and play type I enjoy.

Having played PC shooters for years, I found the wait time to find a game totally unacceptable. It should NOT take that long to hop into a match.

I'd probably get it if I had Gold, if it comes to another platform I'll bite.

Perhaps the whole metagame isn't shown in the Beta, but I don't think it's worth it at the moment. I certainly don't have any attachment to my 'team' or to this dark matter whatever stuff. Considering it could quite likely prevent me from playing with people down the line, and that it effectively makes matchmaking twice as bad as it could be, I don't see the point.

And fuck the grind, games are at their best when you have the entire sandbox. Holding it back only makes us think the game is worse than it is. Balancing all the weapons and abilities against each other is hard enough, trying to balance a game along the whole progression curve on top of that is nigh impossible.

Top Bottom