• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

All the times Katakuri talked about Luffy being a threat in the future + Luffy straight up saying "first Kaido, then you", leads me to believe that Luffy vs Big Mom will happen sometime in the future.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well Luffy straight up can't beat her, so we gotta settle for Katakuri, the "Magellan" of the arc. I think Oda rather not give Luffy a legitimate fight against Big Mom, as he's made it clear that he can't win, making it slightly pointless for him to bother with that, as that would also spoil the fun of seeing her abilities while sane. I believe that Oda feels that it's best to have her in this crazed state that is a threat to everyone, because if she were sane this time, then well... Luffy and co. probably would've been dead by now. This way Big Mom remains an ever-present threat until she's fed, but we still get a cool battle against someone. That said, I dunno what his plans are for her, if he's planning some future Elbaf fight, or maybe she'll fight a Yonkou, or something different entirely.

And I don't think this fight is that strange. Cracker has a DF ability that makes it very to outlast his opponents, creating soldiers that can tank anything that isn't Gear 4, making up for his fragile body. Katakuri doesn't have such an ability, so the battle is naturally going to be a lot more straightforward and shorter.

Yea, Cracker was straight up a bad match for Luffy given their respective powers. Luffy will have a hard time against anyone with a defensive ability given his skillset and devil fruit. That said, Katakuri should be well within Luffy's current abilities. He's been able to land blows without Gear 2, as evidenced by this chapter, so it should be a fairly even fight. Given that it's Luffy, Katakuri, and a bunch of Big Mom's subordinates in the mirror world he might not even use Gear 4. If he did he'd need a rescue after the win.

All the times Katakuri talked about Luffy being a threat in the future + Luffy straight up saying "first Kaido, then you", leads me to believe that Luffy vs Big Mom will happen sometime in the future.

Yea, he'll get the W against Big Mom eventually. He just needs another level up or two first. As strong as Gear 4 is, it only puts him on her baseline. It's not nearly enough to win.

caliph95

So if we ever get a decent OP fighting game, I definitely would like for the Mirror World to be a stage lol

He can, but it's not uncommon for people with that ability to be able to see into the future, and yet still be unable to stop certain events from happening. We've already seen this several times this arc, Luffy grabbing Katakuri is simply another example of this happening.

There ya go. Unlike Cracker, it's going to be a much more straightforward fight, so we'll see how it goes.

I really don't know why people think Katakuri is completely out of Luffy's league, especially from what we've seen from him so far. Frankly, I think Katakuri has been holding back a lot in favor of trapping his opponents. Now that he aims to kill Luffy, let's see what he can really do.

Pedro is dead.

Well Luffy straight up can't beat her, so we gotta settle for Katakuri, the "Magellan" of the arc. I think Oda rather not give Luffy a legitimate fight against Big Mom, as he's made it clear that he can't win, making it slightly pointless for him to bother with that, as that would also spoil the fun of seeing her abilities while sane. I believe that Oda feels that it's best to have her in this crazed state that is a threat to everyone, because if she were sane this time, then well... Luffy and co. probably would've been dead by now. This way Big Mom remains an ever-present threat until she's fed, but we still get a cool battle against someone. That said, I dunno what his plans are for her, if he's planning some future Elbaf fight, or maybe she'll fight a Yonkou, or something different entirely.

And I don't think this fight is that strange. Cracker has a DF ability that makes it very to outlast his opponents, creating soldiers that can tank anything that isn't Gear 4, making up for his fragile body. Katakuri doesn't have such an ability, so the battle is naturally going to be a lot more straightforward and shorter.

Yea, Cracker was straight up a bad match for Luffy given their respective powers. Luffy will have a hard time against anyone with a defensive ability given his skillset and devil fruit. That said, Katakuri should be well within Luffy's current abilities. He's been able to land blows without Gear 2, as evidenced by this chapter, so it should be a fairly even fight. Given that it's Luffy, Katakuri, and a bunch of Big Mom's subordinates in the mirror world he might not even use Gear 4. If he did he'd need a rescue after the win.

Remember how Monet almost killed Luffy by basically avoiding a straight fight and just block his punches and freezing him to death

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Remember how Monet almost killed Luffy by basically avoiding a straight fight and just block his punches and freezing him to death

This guy can't fly and doesn't have logia powers. Ability match-up definitely matters, but considering what we've seen so far, this fight should be fairly even.

LotusHD

Banned

Or when Magellan nearly killed him with his poison powers

This guy can't fly and doesn't have logia powers. Ability match-up definitely matters, but considering what we've seen so far, this fight should be fairly even.

That's what I'm thinking, I can't say for sure who'll win, but I don't know why Luffy is being so heavily underestimated.

Ray Down

Banned
Aside from the ending this chapter wasn't pretty hyped like some where saying before.

Which tends to prove that one should never let hype get to them lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's what I'm thinking, I can't say for sure who'll win, but I don't know why Luffy is being so heavily underestimated.

It might be because of what happened with Cracker. He wasn't able to get the solo W because of the ability match-up so people think he's not on this level.

I mean...doesn't he? The volume release corrected it, but until I see midget Katakuri, I'm calling him a Logia dammit.

I don't think Mochi counts as an element. I think the volume release had it listed as a special paramecia. Whatever that means.

Oda has been teasing this Luffy and Katakuri fight for a while. Characters have kept pointing out how similar their powers are and they've exchanged brief blows throughout hte arc. I'm with Veelk though in that it would be disappointing to see Katakuri get taken down considering that would leave the eventual rematch against the Big Mom pirates a bit underwhelming considering Smoothie will have been the only commander not taken down in a fight recently. I imagine when they fight again, Big Mom won't be in a rampage state.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean...doesn't he? The volume release corrected it, but until I see midget Katakuri, I'm calling him a Logia dammit.

Post-Katakuri, I'm taking it to mean that Logias are basically all based on elements or whatever. While random shit like a Mochi DF just doesn't count.

It might be because of what happened with Cracker. He wasn't able to get the solo W because of the ability match-up so people think he's not on this level.

Pretty much, they just never learn I guess

Oda has been teasing this Luffy and Katakuri fight for a while. Characters have kept pointing out how similar their powers are and they've exchanged brief blows throughout hte arc. I'm with Veelk though in that it would be disappointing to see Katakuri get taken down considering that would leave the eventual rematch against the Big Mom pirates a bit underwhelming considering Smoothie will have been the only commander not taken down in a fight recently. I imagine when they fight again, Big Mom won't be in a rampage state.

Whether it's a tie, a loss, or a victory, I mean... seeing someone from the crew fight Katakuri again would kind of be underwhelming regardless, no? We're getting ready to see his attacks and what not after all? That said, maybe it could be slightly fresh if Katakuri were to fight Sanji one day (Zoro would fight Smoothie if anything, and Jinbe would be easily set up against Cracker if that had to happen too lol), or someone different entirely.

Maybe it's a thing where Luffy right now gotta prove that he's eventually gonna be Yonko-level, and what better way to do that than to defeat several of BM's commanders. While the other heavyweights (Zoro, Sanji, Jinbe), we gotta have them "level up" and beat the Yonkou's top fighters on their own, since Luffy gotta go for the king(s) eventually.

Daingurse

Only person I see being underestimated is Katakuri. I am very hesitant in thinking that Luffy will win this battle. He might level up a bit, since Katakuri has a pretty similar power-set, and he may get some new ideas for how to use his fruit, but straight-up win? Nah, I don't see that happening at all. Katakuri's got too much hype behind him, and I just don't see that all getting deflated this early to prop up Luffy even more. I suspect he will have a pretty decent showing at least though, and we'll get a much better idea of what level Luffy is truly at, and just how big the gap is between him and these top-tier, Jack-level subordinates. But one thing is for sure though, this will be very interesting to see play out . . . Honestly can't wait to see this go down.

LotusHD

Banned
Only person I see being underestimated is Katakuri. I am very hesitant in thinking that Luffy will win this battle. He might level up a bit, since Katakuri has a pretty similar power-set, and he may get some new ideas for how to use his fruit, but straight-up win? Nah, I don't see that happening at all. Katakuri's got too much hype behind him, and I just don't see that all getting deflated this early to prop up Luffy even more. I suspect he will have decent showing at least though, and we'll get a much better idea of what level Luffy is truly at. But one thing is for sure though, this will be very interesting to see play out . . . Honestly can't wait to see this go down.

Well I did say I think it'll either be a tie, or he'll squeak out a win. Regardless, Katakuri, especially with that line of their attacks being similar, is just another stepping stone to make it ultimately convincing that Luffy could beat a Yonko.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Only person I see being underestimated is Katakuri. I am very hesitant in thinking that Luffy will win this battle. He might level up a bit, since Katakuri has a pretty similar power-set, and he may get some new ideas for how to use his fruit, but straight-up win? Nah, I don't see that happening at all. Katakuri's got too much hype behind him, and I just don't see that all getting deflated this early to prop up Luffy even more. I suspect he will have decent showing at least though, and we'll get a much better idea of what level Luffy is truly at. But one thing is for sure though, this will be very interesting to see play out . . . Honestly can't wait to see this go down.

I think it'll be damn close, but I think this fight is being set up to show us exactly where Luffy is tier-wise right now. The Donflamingo fight showed us that he's definitively above the Warlords-tier and I think the point of this one is to show us how far off he is from beating an Emperor. Given the set up of this fight, I seriously doubt he loses. He'll get the W, it's just a matter of how hard a fight it will be.

Do we think Luffy will go Gear 4? Its stamina usage has gotten him into trouble all arc and the Mirror World isn't as maneuverable as his previous locations.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Do we think Luffy will go Gear 4? Its stamina usage has gotten him into trouble all arc and the Mirror World isn't as maneuverable as his previous locations.

If he does I think it'll be to end the fight. If not he's going to get captured and it'll be a whole mess getting him out of that.

LotusHD

Banned

Honestly don't know, really depends on how exactly Katakuri fights in a straightforward fight. He probably will though, can't make Katakuri look too bad.

Luffy should just eat him.

572321966a528e277a2ffd17ad854864.jpg

Veelk

Banned
Well, the foreshadowing is there...

Foreshadowing isn't even necessary in this case. Since this is a paramencia rather than a Logia, it's not that Katakuri transforms into Mochi, he IS mochi, the same way Luffy is rubbery all the time.

So he literally is just a giant walking, sentient snack. And we know Luffy is perfectly capable of consuming (and rapidly digesting) large amounts of food.

It just seems like it's legitimately the most tactically sound strategy to me.

Oh man.

Luffy goes Gear 4. It's not enough! He's exhausted. It's all over.

Katakuri goes in for the kill...

But Luffy opens his mouth!

Luffy uses all the energy from that snack to recover and escape. Works as an Enel-like "he would have lost if it wasn't for that exact opponent" situation.

Daingurse

Well I did say I think it'll either be a tie, or he'll squeak out a win. Regardless, Katakuri, especially with that line of their attacks being similar, is just another stepping stone to make it ultimately convincing that Luffy could beat a Yonko.

I don't really see a tie happening, but that is definitely more likely, and would be a good way to show just how far Luffy has come in terms of strength. Katakuri is definitely a stepping stone. One that I think Luffy will be unable to quite make right now. I would prefer to see him struggle, make a great showing, and overall lose. I think Luffy is pretty close to taking on these level of opponents, but just not quite there yet. By next arc, I really think I could buy Luffy taking on a Jack-level opponent.

I think it'll be damn close, but I think this fight is being set up to show us exactly where Luffy is tier-wise right now. The Donflamingo fight showed us that he's definitively above the Warlords-tier and I think the point of this one is to show us how far off he is from beating an Emperor. Given the set up of this fight, I seriously doubt he loses. He'll get the W, it's just a matter of how hard a fight it will be.

We'll definitely see, man. I also am dying to know exactly what level Luffy is at. Getting a win here would be extremely impressive, under pretty much any context, as I was not expecting Luffy to be quite at this level yet. His showing against Cracker was already really impressive to me, and put him on the cusp of the top tier subordinates. He's really damn close to reaching the level of motherfuckers like Jack. If Luffy can eek out a win against Katakuri, then I will be immensely impressed. That would be a fucking fight to see.

LotusHD

Banned
Foreshadowing isn't even necessary in this case. Since this is a paramencia rather than a Logia, it's not that Katakuri transforms into Mochi, he IS mochi, the same way Luffy is rubbery all the time.

So he literally is just a giant walking, sentient snack. And we know Luffy is perfectly capable of consuming (and rapidly digesting) large amounts of food.

It just seems like it's legitimately the most tactically sound strategy to me.

Sure, but I just wanted to reference Big Mom being a cannibal, as well as Luffy eating Cracker's soldiers.

We're well past 200 pages. What was the suggestion for the next thread title again?

We currently do not have one.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Everyone gets their time to shine!

Decent general title, and it can apply to Sanji's final acts this arc

I don't really see a tie happening, but that is definitely more likely, and would be a good way to show just how far Luffy has come in terms of strength. Katakuri is definitely a stepping stone. One that I think Luffy will be unable to quite make right now. I would prefer to see him struggle, make a great showing, and overall lose. I think Luffy is pretty close to taking on these level of opponents, but just not quite there yet. By next arc, I really think I could buy Luffy taking on a Jack-level opponent.

It's just... if he loses, only to beat a Commander level opponent afterwards in Wano, then how do we justify him beating Kaido afterwards? Becomes a lot harder to buy it imo

LotusHD

Banned
I was about to make a joke that this chapter is the first time Luffy has actually said Carrot's name, but turns out that isn't true. That said, it seems that it certainly has been awhile lol

Ray Down

Banned
Was trying to some how do baking and fighting in the title and finale stuff but I could only come up with like, Bake and Shake

or something like a Simpsons sign like Sneeds Feed & Seed (Formally Chucks)

We currently do not have one.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Everyone gets their time to shine!

Decent general title, and it can apply to Sanji's final acts this arc

It's alright. Let's see what the general consensus is. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to share. No rush.

I'm pretty luke warm on it, tend to prefer gag ones for community titles.

Imperial what say you?

Admit that you're down on this chapter because your waifu is absent. :p

Daingurse

Sure, but I just wanted to reference Big Mom being a cannibal, as well as Luffy eatingIt's just... if he loses, only to beat a Commander level opponent afterwards in Wano, then how do we justify him beating Kaido afterwards? Becomes a lot harder to buy it imo

It's very hard for me to buy Luffy taking on Kaidou any time soon period. Yonkou's have almost been portrayed like forces of nature. It's hard to even imagine them in conventional fights. I really have no clue how long it will take for Luffy to give a Yonkou a convincing fight. That gap almost seems insurmountable right now. Luffy needs his damn awakening or something lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Or if Sanji's final acts are disappointing we can add (Except Sanji)

Or we could add (Except Smoothie) right here and now lol

It's very hard for me to buy Luffy taking on Kaidou any time soon period. Yonkou's have almost been portrayed like forces of nature. It's hard to even imagine them in conventional fights. I really have no clue how long it will take for Luffy to give a Yonkou a convincing fight. That gap almost seems insurmountable right now. Luffy needs his damn awakening or something lol.

It's gonna take even longer if Luffy loses to Katakuri lol

Ray Down

Banned
It's alright. Let's see what the general consensus is. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to share. No rush.

Admit that you're down on this chapter because your waifu is absent. :p

Nah, just that with people hyping it up I expected a bit more :p

Luffy was cool though and I liked Jinbei showing his helmsman role.

May be due to me staying up waiting late for it.

Again don't buy Pedro death at all so things around it fall a little flat.

LotusHD

Banned
Nah, just that with people hyping it up I expected a bit more :p

Luffy was cool though and I liked Jinbei showing his helmsman role.

May be due to me staying up waiting late for it.

Again don't buy Pedro death at all so things around it fall a little flat.

I couldn't stay up, had an exam this morning >.<

Also, don't look at me:

Apparently the new chapter is hype (No it ain't out yet), and I wanna make y'all suffer w/ me by overhyping yourselves with unrealistic expectations alongside me as we wait for it to release.

That's good haha

I'm here all day ;D

---

Can't believe Ray had me go and look for this, changing your avatar out of the blue, shame on you

RgtsVnd.png

RomanceDawn

Man what an enjoyable chapter!

When I see these color spreads I just wish life could always be as carefree as this scene. Zoro in his Criminal shorts, Bullet Seeding Sanji while Sanji serves the water melon and uses the cat as a meat shield. Thats how life should be. Though the one time Franky should be rocking his Alolan shirt like some of the others he's catching beetles in his dirty tank top.

With this chapter Pedro's sacrifice has some weight to it. Him telling Carrot that everyone gets their time to shine actually got me a little emotional. Now while I don't think Oda is really going to go through with him actually being dead I do like that this explosion looks to have left some real lasting damage on Perospero. Losing half an arm is a good consolation prize I think. Give him a hook and he'll be the Candy Man from that 90's horror movie.

Seeing Jimbei on the ship manning the helm is awesome! From Marineford to earlier this arc with the crew arguing about how bad they were all at trying to steer maybe Jimjam will actually be the Helmsman. It will be interesting to find out if he had any above average talent at it before becoming the captain of the Sun Pirates or if the Straw Hats just give him the job cause its available.

Luffy and Katakuri going balls to the wall in mirror world should be really fun.

Daingurse

Or we could add (Except Smoothie) right here and now lol

It's gonna take even longer if Luffy loses to Katakuri lol

I guess I can wait haha. I like Katakuri, dude is just really cool, and has so much prescense whenever he's on-panel. It's very hard for me accept him getting taken out so soon! But hey, if he does that will be one hell of a notch on Luffy's belt.

What's funny though, is that still wouldn't change how I feel about Luffy taking on a Yonkou! Even these Commander level threats feel like fodder compared to Big Mom or Kaidou. Got no clue how Luffy is going to get on their level. He'll be a freaking rubber juggernaut at that point.

The manga's in a weird position where Gear 4 is seemingly the apex of Luffy's abilities, but it's clear it doesn't stand much of a chance against the emperors. With no timeskip/training arc being conceivable at this stage awakening seems to be the only thing available.

LotusHD

Banned
I guess I can wait haha. I like Katakuri, dude is just really cool, and has so much prescense whenever he's on-panel. It's very hard for me accept him getting taken out so soon! But hey, if he does that will be one hell of a notch on Luffy's belt.

What's funny though, is that still wouldn't change how I feel about Luffy taking on a Yonkou! Even these Commander level threats feel like fodder compared to Big Mom or Kaidou. Got no clue how Luffy is going to get on their level. He'll be a freaking rubber juggernaut at that point.

That's a fair point, Big Mom is insurmountable for example, while the narrator for Kaido's introduction had me lose faith in Luffy's plot armor lmfao

The manga's in a weird position where Gear 4 is seemingly the apex of Luffy's abilities, but it's clear it doesn't stand much of a chance against the emperors. With no timeskip/training arc being conceivable at this stage awakening seems to be the only thing available.

Only if you believe that Gear 4 doesn't have other forms or whatever. May pick up some stuff from Katakuri if we're lucky.

Top Bottom