• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.
...is @MarkCernyPS4 really Mark Cerny? I thought it wasn't.

When checking Shu's followers to see, I noticed he isn't following @MarkCernyPS4 but he is following (parody account) @KazHiraiCEO. :)

No, it isn't. @yosp said it's not him once. Tweet would take a while to find though.

wapplew

Seriously, play about 40 minutes of Ryse (with attention to it being a launch title on a less powerful system), and it quickly seems much, much more feasible. The animation, materials and lighting systems for this gen are already fantastic, and we're barely at the point last time around that we had seen Gears 1.

But that's mostly below 30fps and at 900p. This is 1080p and targeting 60fps, and this trailer run in 60fps, how is that even possible?

mother-of-god.gif

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
b/c linear, corridor, cover based game is a true marvel right? With basic enemy A.I (hide, shoot grenade, repeat)

Uncharted is a great game and i loved them all but if this doesn't improve or innovate on gameplay in some way, it's just gonna be another pretty shooter for me.

This isn't about gameplay, of which we've seen none, it's about the goddamn CG visuals that run realtime.

Cygnus

Banned
Seriously, play about 40 minutes of Ryse (with attention to it being a launch title on a less powerful system), and it quickly seems much, much more feasible. The animation, materials and lighting systems for this gen are already fantastic, and we're barely at the point last time around that we had seen Gears 1.

Those graphics, that level of IQ? 60fps? I'll be shocked if it actually happens. I expect at least some kind of downgrade.

Just a reminder that in-engine cutscene =/= gameplay.

It'll look fucking awesome while playing, but not quite at that level.

Really looking forward to this.

Watchdogs...

I think they use the game assets in their cut-scenes, as they flow together when you play. I bet when Drake was standing, and walked a little that was game play where the player takes over. They just swung the camera off of him to the cages for the trailer. I'm sure they have some level of detail set so as the character gets further from the camera the detail decreases.

When I watched the trailer on my TV, it just seemed that if it went on for a few more seconds that it was about to make a transition to gameplay similar to the way the order does and that it indeed was real time.

prag16

Banned
Ha, we had a specify a "single" PS4? As opposed to two or three stapled together? In that case the metric usually works in terms of how many duct taped together Gamecubes it takes. If Wii U is 8-10 gamecubes, how many dozen gamecubes is the PS4?

Anyway, this is cool, and the clip was impressive assuming it can maintain something like that at 1080p30 during all gameplay (I know they're "targeting" 60fps, but Uncharted doesn't really NEED 60 and I'm not going to be shocked if they end up lower).

Jarmel

Banned
Source 5 doesn't mean shit. We already know it's in-engine. The question was whether it was pre-rendered or real time.

JCreasy

People's refusal to believe this was real-time was perhaps the biggest compliment they could've given ND.

Friggin awesome. This made E3 for me.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting what I aid from the other thread:

I'm ignorant when it comes to computer specs and hardware, but is it more important to have greater amounts of ram than it is important to have a more powerful graphics card? I am trying to understand how a mediocre graphics card can be sufficient if the amount of ram on a console is increased considerably.

This shit confuses me.

And holy shit if that's real time as according to Interference.

Just a reminder that in-engine cutscene =/= gameplay.

It'll look fucking awesome while playing, but not quite at that level.

Really looking forward to this.

Watchdogs...

Please never compare a Ubisoft game to Naughty Dog ever again. Naughty Dog has always delivered, while Ubisoft always lies and bullshots their way into the hype train.

Rising_Hei

This is really hard to believe, in a good way. I wonder how much of the PS4's power they're using, it wouldn't surprise me if they already maxed it out.

Achieving 100 % is easy, evenmore so to naughty dog

But this year's 100 % might be next year's 90 % with the new tools and such and finding ways to optimize and doing new shit, that's why console games keep improving as time goes on

Source 5 doesn't mean shit. We already know it's in-engine. The question was whether it was pre-rendered or real time.

Yes but they've already indicated that they won't have pre-rendered cutscenes on PS4. The file size alone for uncompressed 1080p/60fps video footage would make it impractical.

Look at his receding hairline. Poor Drake.

Yeah well he was kinda doofy looking in the PS3 games. Drake aged like a fine wine. :)

If this game is going the dark route, which it looks like it is and ND gets a M rating slapped on this game with enemies that have realistic hit detection and are less of a bullet spounge? I am dead

Reposting what I aid from the other thread:

I'm ignorant when it comes to computer specs and hardware, but is it more important to have greater amounts of ram than it is important to have a more powerful graphics card? I am trying to understand how a mediocre graphics card can be sufficient if the amount of ram on a console is increased considerably.

This shit confuses me.

And holy shit if that's real time as according to Interference.

The amount of RAM? After a certain point, no. Once you have enough, adding more doesn't really help anything. A more powerful graphics solution is more important, I think.

It's official. Naughty Dog NEEDS to open their own 3D film studio. They can just use their Uncharted 4 tech for delivering photorealistic visuals.

viveks86

If it's real time, then it's automatically in engine. That would be redundant to even state in the first place.

Who knows man. People would then come up with arguments that it was a realtime concept/tech demo and not the engine that was used for building the game. We will always find ways to poke holes… :D

TyrantII

But that's mostly below 30fps and at 900p. This is 1080p and targeting 60fps, and this trailer run in 60fps, how is that even possible?

GPGPU and funny changes to the cache and side buses in the APU. Not so crazy when you remember this was also running in real time:

darksorcerer-02.jpg

Cerny did say to lookout for year 2-3 when they really dug into the APU optimizations he requested. Not bad for some garbage PC parts thrown in a console case, eh?

Jarmel

Banned
Yes but they've already indicated that they won't have pre-rendered cutscenes on PS4. The file size alone for uncompressed 1080p/60fps video footage would make it impractical.

They've indicated that they're trying to make the transitions seamless and to get the difference between gameplay and cutscenes negligible. I haven't seen anything saying that they were flat out done with pre-rendered stuff.

Seanspeed

Banned
That backhanded compliment though...
Not a backhanded compliment. Just hope people don't have double standards and give this a pass if it doesn't look/perform as well as initially presented.

If this game does hit 1080p/60fps on a whole, it'll be pretty wild. I'd be impressed even if it was 1080p/30fps. I'm not one of the #downgrade mob at all, don't worry. I realize practicalities in development mean compromises at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom