• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Evil Within 2 / Psycho Break 2 in production

I would happily buy a sequel. The first wasn't without its problems but I still found it to be a solid experience. Hopefully a sequel would have better load times if they're gonna go heavy on insta-death aspects again.

-MD-

I'm using a xbox one elite controller. I didn't know it wasn't considered to be a gamepad! And I'm glad to learn it fixes frame pacing issues.

For people who want to try to be serious 2 minutes, there are whole threads about it on the internet.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268050/discussions/0/617330406660849021/

It's a known issue and people saying they don't have this problem are just like people who say they don't notice it on Final Fantasy 15 or Bloodborne. Because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Lmao, it was a suggestion to fix your camera stuttering. Why are you so upset?

Akronis

It runs like dog shit. Forced borderless fullscreen and insane framepacing even at 60 fps. The camera movements constantly stutter and the game never feels smooth.

I don't really consider that running great.

Last time I played it I was running it well above 100fps on average. Framepacing seemed OK too.

Sci-fi game, called Starfield, developed by Bethesda Game Studios. From their statements, Bethesda has ramped up enough to allow multiple games in production, which wasn't possible before. Could be released this year, depending on how long it's actually been in development, but the rumors have been around since 2014, so it's certainty plausible we could see release this year. Not much more is known.
Oh right I've seen that name thrown around before. Would be hype, not gonna get my hopes up

Curufinwe

I literally never encountered a problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some copies of the game were botched products, though. Constant crashes and performance problems on some discs, whereas my PS4 copy never crashed once, nor did it ever stutter or freeze, not even on day one. Just lucky I guess.

You didn't get a rare copy of the game with no frame rate issues. It doesn't work like that.

Jinroh

Last time I played it I was running it well above 100fps on average. Framepacing seemed OK too.
But that's the point, the framerate has nothing to do with framepacing. That's the problem. A high framerate is pointless if the game constantly stutters. And that's a problem japanese developers tend to never address.

I run the game with a GTX 1080, so clearly it's not hardware related. The game just runs like shit on both consoles and PC.

You didn't get a rare copy of the game with no frame rate issues. It doesn't work like that.

Don't remember citing frame rate issues. Crashing and freezing.

My copy still has frame rate drops, but they're few and far between. Not nearly the kind of game-breaking experience that some people in this thread claim.

Akronis

But that's the point, the framerate has nothing to do with framepacing. That's the problem. A high framerate is pointless if the game constantly stutters. And that's a problem japanese developers tend to never address.

I run the game with a GTX 1080, so clearly it's not hardware related. The game just runs like shit on both consoles and PC.

I know what framepacing is. Locking with RTSS, I had no stuttering whatsoever.

massucci

Banned
Don't remember citing frame rate issues. Crashing and freezing.

My copy still has frame rate drops, but they're few and far between. Not nearly the kind of game-breaking experience that some people in this thread claim.
Or probably you can't spot fps issues. Like I said there are a bunch of video analysis on the net who prove it. You can check with your eyes.

Most issues with the game were fixed with the latest patch, the game was made easier in the casual difficulty and the black bars were removed.

But yeah, the game still isn't great performance wise.

Still I look forward to a sequel, I agree the game has more story potential than RE RN.

I really want Mikami to make a new action game, but I guess I'll take this.

Doesn't the original run way better now on the Pro in boost mode? I may pick it up again if so.

Jinroh

I know what framepacing is. Locking with RTSS, I had no stuttering whatsoever.
I read somewhere it's a solution yes. Also apparently disabling v-sync with a launch command. But come on, I shouldn't have to read various forum discussions to try to fix an AAA game more than two year after its release, it's beyond inexcusable.

That's the kind of thing that turns some people off from playing on PC and I understand them.

Akronis

I read somewhere it's a solution yes. Also apparently disabling v-sync with a launch command. But come on, I shouldn't have to read various forum discussions to try to fix an AAA game more than two year after its release, it's beyond inexcusable.

That's the kind of thing that turns some people off from playing on PC and I understand them.

Then start buying games on consoles. At least we have fixes on PC.

I agree that games shouldn't release broken, but I would much rather have options to fix them myself than rely on shitty developers.

ianpm31

Day 1 for me. The first game had it's flaws but I definitely enjoyed it. I know with the second go around Mikami can make it even better. Plus I heard the sequel will use unreal instead of that crappy id tech5 engine

JayEH

I really want Mikami to make a new action game, but I guess I'll take this.

Doesn't the original run way better now on the Pro in boost mode? I may pick it up again if so.

Spiritual successor to vanquish pls. He's among the best in the business when it comes to tps as well as horror.

sjay1994

Only way I'd ever even think about looking at this game is if they dump the trash tier ID Tech engine.

Use unreal or something, because holy fuck Id Tech is actual trash.

Neff

hTaqny.gif

myco666

O.O no it's not. I loved the game (though never finished) but it's far from pretty constant 30 fps. That's not too far distant to the JC3 fps mess.

The last patches just give the option of the full screen setting. Performance has never been fixed. You can check the last DF video with the boost mode comparison. Fps is absymal.

Just looked at the newest DF video with boost mode comparison. Looked pretty constant 30fps to me. As I said the early chapters have rough drops like seen in the footage which is from chapter 3 but the footage from chapter 6 is pretty much constant 30 with drops to 28. From what I remember chapters 1-4 are the worst running ones but otherwise it is totally acceptable performance and far from abysmal.

Jinroh

Then start buying games on consoles.
I have nearly all consoles from the Atari 2600, Game.com, Playdia and others up until the Switch and have hundreds of physical games. And I also happen to have a copy of Psycho Break on PS4 in its beautiful steelbook.

It just doesn't excuse anything.

Akronis

I have nearly all consoles from the Atari 2600, Game.com, Playdia and others up until the Switch and have hundreds of physical games. And I also happen to have a copy of Psycho Break on PS4 in its beautiful steelbook.

It just doesn't excuse anything.

I said they shouldn't release broken in the second line of my post. PC gaming can have some extra work to get a game running optimally. It's just the way it is.

Western devs it's usually not as big of a problem, but Japanese devs just don't give PC much effort.

OH MY GOD!
No way! No fucking way!

Despite the shitty linear level design I still really liked the first game, it's totally one of the best game of 2014 (noted that I have not played Bayo 2).

It's such a shame that The Evil Within's level design is so linear and straight forward, even Rsident Evil 5 had a stronger level design. (Everytime I say that I want to shoot myself.)

Please learn from your mistake and continue making more games Shinji, the world needs you!.

tootie923

This was one of my favorite games of 2014. I wouldn't mind Juli Kidman as the main protagonist and have them ditch Sebastian, or relegate him to DLC.

Vic_Viper

Is Shinji Mikami still with this studio?

The first Evil Within is perfect for people looking for that Resi4 experiance in a modern style game. Playing on PC without the borders and 60fps is soo much better than when it first released, so if you skipped it originally I highly recommend checking it out now!

If they tone down the dudebro shooting, focus on the somewhat cool boss fights and exploration and Sebastian again as the protagonist, it could be fairly decent.

Castef

Banned
UGH! No, thanks.

One of the worst survival horror games in recent years, completely unrespectuful of the player's time.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Awesome news, the first game was my GOTY 2014...

... and as I said, it was better than RE4. Expecting this one to be an absolute masterpiece now that they aren't bound with the horrible idTech5.

FLD

Niiiiice. It wasn't perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed The Evil Within and was really hoping for a sequel. Especially nice to see the series continue now that mainline Resident Evil is (presumably) going in a somewhat different direction.

Jawmuncher

Everything was dudebro.
By that definition so was RE7 even with the shift first person. You get a gun, and what are you doing? Shorting molded in the head.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

The Evil Within was my most disappointing game last game, had all the ingredients for a classic but on console at least it was an absolute mess.

The only horror I experienced was the frame-rate and all-round clunky experience.

Top Bottom