• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think "about to release" is being a bit generous though your other points are quite valid.

I think, however, this speaks more to SE's Creatives over complicating things rather than just following through.

Assuming X will follow something along the lines of Xenoblade, this game will release in 2014.

Mad_Angel

Neo Member
I think it is not fair to compare FFvsXIII and X(eno*), and the merits of both companies, based on vsXIII's footage released 2 years ago and X's video revealed today. Maybe we should use trailers that are not that far apart, I don't know... Maybe XIII-3 footage and X's footage... Guess which one looks like an HD next-gen game and which one looks like a psx-era game?

Assuming X will follow something along the lines of Xenoblade, this game will release in 2014.

Assuming they can follow the same Announcement to Release timeline then you're probably right. I'd still say a year off from release isn't exactly "about to," though in comparison to SE's dev cycles it certain seems that way.

Cwarrior

What interests me about Versus is its aesthetic; that it seems to be set in a world that is near-modern and could possibly be somewhat more tied to reality in its characters and story.

Guys fighting dinosaurs in mechs is pretty much the polar opposite of that.

Versus has you fighting dinosaurs,mechas and controlling grounding mechas too just on a smaller scope.

Alrus

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif

I give my vote to X.

Versus will obviously have the better hair, though, and that's all that matters.

Square Enix sucks at doing grounds, FF XIII's grounds looked awful too :/

I think people are jumping the gun a little bit with HD towns and huge open worlds. Neither of those things were suggested in that trailer, and neither of those things were present in Xenoblade. This looks very, very much like HD Xenoblade with guns and mechs. That's not a bad thing, mind you -- Xenoblade was my favorite RPG of this generation. But I think there is a lot of blind optimism being thrown around about what this game will be.

He's right though Xenoblade on Wii, didn't have HD towns or HD Open worlds

We played different Xenoblades.

If you played on Dolphin, then Xenoblade did have HD towns and HD open worlds

:p

LuuKyK

Well, I honestly think that when SE shows a game, mainly if its a new FF or even Versus, fully running on their Luminous engine X will look like a
Wii
N64 game and it will probably sell twice if not more than X, so I dont see how Monolith, thats not nearly as relevant as Square, run over such a big company. People are just hyped because the game was just revealed. Sorry to bring you back to reality, but as much as you liked Xenoblade its still not quite there, maybe in some years...
hug.gif

Xenoblade has huge fucking towns, what?
No it doesn't. No town in the game has enterable buildings (besides Dunbans house) and only the Nopon Village is rendered to scale; the human colonies are about two city blocks long and Alcamoth is basically a park and a couple of skywalks

Zoator

We played different Xenoblades.

Really? Xenoblade has a handful of "towns" in the same way that FFXIII-2 had "towns." That is, areas with NPCs you could talk to with a bunch of buildings scattered around as window dressing that you can't actually interact with/enter (with the exception of a handful of buildings that have explicit story purposes).

And Xenoblade was obviously not an open-world game. You travel from one area to the next following the narrative's linear path. You can go back to old areas you visited before by selecting them from a menu, but there's usually not a whole lot of reason to do so outside of grinding since Xenoblade's sidequests are by and large of the more shallow fetch/hunt variety. Yes, these individual areas have some branching paths and wide fields, but it is definitely not open world in the sense that a game like Skyrim is open world.

Eidan

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif

I give my vote to X.

Versus will obviously have the better hair, though, and that's all that matters.

My god. What the hell is so difficult about making this damn game? The competition is running circles around Square. They're such a damn joke.

JudgeN

My god. What the hell is so difficult about making this damn game? The competition is running circles around Square. They're such a damn joke.

It takes people to completely rebuild the shitty MMO you released 2 years ago. At least FFXIV reborn is looking pretty good so far.

Spongebob

Banned
In a fantasy looking area. That's not to say that I think it looks bad, because it's the opposite actually, but I will always be more excited for modern/futuristic/sci fi settings.

Versus also looks very fantasy like.

Graphics in "X" look so much better than Versus.

I need to see versus in the form of a playable demo before I say anything. As it stands now however Monolithsoft is proving to be a better dev. What they accomplished with Xenoblade Chronicles sans HD was phenomenal.

I won't count square out, but my monies on Mono for the time being. Plus that X trailer....BLEW MY MIND!!!!!

Shinta

Banned
All I know is that robot is pretty fucking cool. Hopefully Versus shows some signs of life soon, because the wait is just stupid at this point.

I think they each have some areas that look more impressive, but we have barely seen anything of X and barely seen anything of Versus. I'm sure they're both going to be pretty amazing.

The characters in X so far kind of look like shit, especially that close up at the very end. The UI looks like shit. The spell effects don't look impressive at all. The music sounded like shit. The combat looks like Phantasy Star, which has been done before but the vehicle stuff looks fucking amazing.

X has awesome environments, awesome vehicles. Versus looks better on pretty much everything else, and that was 2 years ago.

As far as Lightning Returns, we all know it's a sequel to a 2009 game reusing some assets, being made on a lower budget. They're not really comparable. Lightning Returns will be cool too, and looks far better than the Tales of series shit that comes out.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It takes people to completely rebuild the shitty MMO you released 2 years ago. At least FFXIV reborn is looking pretty good so far.

and before that weren't many members of the team busy working on other games like KH? to me it seems like SE just lack focus.

fates

Actually, if you closely examine the footage of the incident, you will see that the steamroller than ran over Square Enix and then backed up over it again was being driven by a man identified as a "Yoichi Wada".

He is still at large.

Famassu

The difficulty is not particularly Versus XIII's development itself, but what has been going on with Square Enix's HD development in general. For some reason Square Enix gives precedence to every other game over Versus. XIV 2.0, in particular, has been crippling its development most recently.

SykoTech

SE ran over themselves.

Pretty much.

And it's not entirely fair to compare X to Versus media that's over 2 years old. It definitely looks different than it did then by now.

X certainly looks more interesting than Lightning Returns. But that's not saying much at all. Might as well say Level 5 ran over SE with Ni No Kuni.

i-Lo

I am not well versed in history of these companies so I ask: Is this the same "Soft" which was once merged with Square before they went on board with Enix?

Eidan

The difficulty is not particularly Versus XIII's development itself, but what has been going on with Square Enix's HD development in general. For some reason Square Enix gives precedence to every other game over Versus. XIV 2.0, in particular, has been crippling its development most recently.

I first got the impression that it was just because Versus's goals were so lofty. But they're really not. There's nothing about this game that screams "decade long development cycle".

demidar

All I know is that robot is pretty fucking cool. Hopefully Versus shows some signs of life soon, because the wait is just stupid at this point.

I think they each have some areas that look more impressive, but we have barely seen anything of X and barely seen anything of Versus. I'm sure they're both going to be pretty amazing.

The characters in X so far kind of look like shit, especially that close up at the very end. The UI looks like shit. The spell effects don't look impressive at all. The music sounded like shit. The combat looks like Phantasy Star, which has been done before but the vehicle stuff looks fucking amazing.

X has awesome environments, awesome vehicles. Versus looks better on pretty much everything else, and that was 2 years ago.

As far as Lightning Returns, we all know it's a sequel to a 2009 game reusing some assets, being made on a lower budget. They're not really comparable. Lightning Returns will be cool too, and looks far better than the Tales of series shit that comes out.

Likes Lightning Returns, then turns around and disses Xillia. Damn you bold.

I am not well versed in history of these companies so I ask: Is this the same "Soft" which was once merged with Square before they went on board with Enix?

pretty much... :p

Main Monolift staff worked for Square back in the glory days

Also the problem with Square development is leadership

President Wada I'm looking at you and your FF milking focus

Monolith: HD towns are a piece of cake!

"Pfft, HD towns? We create those in our sleep."

Can I name my mechs after the Judges? Because I'm all for pseudo-religious undertones that really get shoehorned in later in the game.

(I have yet to play Xenoblade, but Monolith can do no wrong in my eyes.)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This looks nothing like Versus what are these comparisons ahhh.

But if FF12 IZJE HD never comes out I'll just get this instead

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"Pfft, HD towns? We create those in our sleep."

Can I name my mechs after the Judges? Because I'm all for pseudo-religious undertones that really get shoehorned in later in the game.

(I have yet to play Xenoblade, but Monolith can do no wrong in my eyes.)

I didnt see any HD towns in that trailer.

Famassu

I first got the impression that it was just because Versus's goals were so lofty. But they're really not. There's nothing about this game that screams "decade long development cycle".
Because it's not a decade long development cycle. The game was announced prematurely. That's it. When they showed it in January 2011 it had been in development for maybe 1,5 years, before that part of the team was busy with other projects, some part was just trying to get as much out of PS3 as possible and they also ended up helping Kitase & Toriyama's team finish FFXIII. Also, Versus' scope IS huge. The opening city is like a big part of Tokyo being modeled into the game and that's supposedly not the only big city of its kind in the game.

Also, I just saw the trailer of X and the only thing that looks better than Versus is the lighting and some textures, but then again we know Versus' lighting engine has been improved from that 2011 trailer & there are very likely other improvements as well. I don't think the environments looked too good, especially the parts where the character is running near water looks kinda bad. The environments were kinda empty and the combat looked stiff as hell. Those couple of gifs are the most impressive parts, otherwise this still looked really unfinished.

pixlexic

Banned
The first hour with xenoblade killed every square rpg since the ps1 and I am a huge square fan.

Though ff12 come right after xenoblade chronicales. ;)

Pooya

Versus has better character designs and aesthetics, as in I prefer it :p

but technically I think X is far better than what square enix managed in that 2 year old video, maybe magically it's different now, not holding my breath considering how incompetent they've been. there is real open world in X, versus wasn't like that.

the combat looks janky in both, I take it it's early.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This game looked so damn good. That Nintendo Direct blew my pants off.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why is Square being singled out here?

How will Idea Factory and Level 5 respond to this new Monolith game????

fates

I always felt like that after FF14's collapse and the general distaste towards FF13, despite not outright being a sales disaster forced them to put Versus to the side and focus on fixing those two products.

Which I think was a bad idea. Versus has hype behind it. Sure it's not easy to spot now because like 70% of the people interested in it are convinced it's never coming out, but people still want it. While I'm not interested in Versus myself, I admit that what was shown from it looked pretty impressive, and I think it would have really helped to clean up whatever damage FF13/14 did to the brand's image.

But instead of doing that, they just continue to push things that people feel lethargic about. FF13-2 fell off the radar incredibly quick after release. I don't think the 13-3 scenario will go any differently.

Square Enix is looking bad because they are still stuck on FF13 while the rest of the JRPG industry is moving forward and has been since FF13 came out. We're getting ready to shift generations and they are still stuck back in 2010.

Not to mention their localization practices, which are absolutely dismal to virtually non-existent.

It's just really frustrating to watch this happen to a beloved company, and it's almost entirely all their own fault.

jorgeton

Square Enix is irrelevant. The past couple of weeks have really shown that to me. Between games like project x zone being localized, Nintendo dropping these huge megatons at their latest Direct, and smaller publishers like Xseed and Atlus bringing over the games we want, it just paints SE as out of touch and unnecessary. That their flagship game this year is LR:FF13 makes it all sadder. While that title looks ok, it's nowhere near enough to really save face with all their shenanigans these past couple of years. It's sad, but when there is so much awesomeness coming from other devs, who needs them and their vapor ware (ff versus).

pixlexic

Banned
Why is Square being singled out here?

How will Idea Factory and Level 5 respond to this new Monolith game????

Square is still the top dog despite thier floundering with the ff ip this gen they still have dragon quest wich has never let anyone down.

Which reminds I want a dq10 NA release date!

Shinta

Banned
Square Enix is irrelevant. The past couple of weeks have really shown that to me. Between games like project x zone being localized, Nintendo dropping these huge megatons at their latest Direct, and smaller publishers like Xseed and Atlus bringing over the games we want, it just paints SE as out of touch and unnecessary. That their flagship game this year is LR:FF13 makes it all sadder. While that title looks ok, it's nowhere near enough to really save face with all their shenanigans these past couple of years. It's sad, but when there is so much awesomeness coming from other devs, who needs them and their vapor ware (ff versus).

I'd say their flagship game is XIV: ARR actually.

And I don't know why anyone is pumping up Atlus. Would be nice if they even manage to put out a single console RPG this gen. It's nearly over. They don't even really do much on the publishing side. XSEED, Aksys and Gung Ho are all doing a lot more lately.

Effect

Don't a number of people from the SquareSoft era work at Monolith Soft now and Nintendo in general? Not counting Takahashi obviously.

Somewhere, a programmer at Square Enix saw this trailer and wept himself to sleep.

SE should cry themselves to sleep, considering they've got that clown Toriyama and his crappy Lightning games digging them a hole, while Monolith Soft and Takahashi (you know, the guy they let go of after making one of their greatest games ever, Xenogears) has styled on them with Xenoblade and seems prepared to do it again.

Top Bottom