• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Smash Bros clone Brawlout releasing for the Nintendo Switch later this year

DesiacX

I don't think we can do this until one has proven itself. They should stop using Brawl in their names and/or catering to a subset of the audience also.

Once a few of these games does well critically and commercial they will gain their own identity. It wouldn't help for them to differentiate themselves abit more also.

Weve already had PSABR and RoA, but i can agree with that. Im hoping that happens sooner rather then later.

No, this and icons and Aether, they all play exactly like smash, even PASBR is more worthy of being called a platform fighter, same for Bounty Battle, but thi? SMASH CLONE.

Haven't played this or Icons yet (im looking forward to the beta), but which of the 4 different Smash games are you playing that Aether plays exactly like?

Eh, this at least looks a little bit better than that terrible Project M team one.

In the case where you are referring to Icons.

https://twitter.com/Warchamp7/status/887025634555420673

Dear gaming news outlets: The PMDT was made up of more than 70 people, with 50+ active at the team's peak

Wavedash employs 4 of them

I have to agree with PSqueak here. Icons, Rivals of Aether and this title are all definitely Smash clones (and not in a derogatory sense). The most recent platform fighters are going all in on recreating Smash gameplay, with Icons in particular gunning for that Melee crowd. Previously the trend was Smash "but with a (poorly thought out) twist" or just half-assed Smash clones that are very poor on a technical level.

While I agree on the sentiment on using platform fighters in general, Smash clone is actually warranted for this game because it's using the percentage + ring out system

I don't disagree with the idea that these games are supposed to be like Smash. To an extent, thats the point, and the same could be said for anything in a genre. Generally, whenever i see something called a clone, it means people looked at the surface, saw a similarity, and its that, but plus that. A good example would be the idea that Titanfall is Call of Duty, except with Mechs, or that Brawl Lucario is Melee Mewtwo's replacement. I feel a lot is missed when these comparisons are made, and just like how each Super Smash Bros game is a difference experience from the last, any of these games could be equally as unique.

As per the damage/ringout system, i'd rather that become the standard amongst the clones (like the health bars in fighting games), as opposed to something like PSABRs systems or a bar.

The game is alright. As someone who has casually played smash over the years the controls are identical. You can pick it up and know exactly what each button is gonna do.

The Aztec theme/characters didn't really do it for me tho.

Vidiot

Not to be a dick but honestly if you can't get some characters people care about why bother? The fan service is a huge part of smash bros. It wouldn't be anywhere near as big without it.

PSqueak

Banned
Not to be a dick but honestly if you can't get some characters people care about why bother? The fan service is a huge part of smash bros. It wouldn't be anywhere near as big without it.

Because if this really becomes a genre (Platform fighters) instead of smash clones, they need to first break through as the first successful one with a 100% original cast.

So Icons is instantly disqualified, hence people rooting for this one instead.

i played it at E3.
as a matter of fact, i placed 2nd in a tournament after playing it once beforehand lol.

the game is fun. it definitely feels a lot like smash when you're playing but more barebones from what i got from it.
i really like the ability to use your meter to combo break.

i played as the bird mostly and he's pretty much Falco.
i had a good time with it and the dev was really hyped up and happy during the tourney.
i felt bad because his game was next to two really big upcoming indie titles (The Artful Escape and Away) so it wasn't getting much attention during the time i decided to play it with my friend, so it was nice to see him light up during the tourney

I love smash, but this looks good to me because it's similar to smash in gameplay. It's not always about Smash characters. I want more people to try to make Smash like games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Because if this really becomes a genre (Platform fighters) instead of smash clones, they need to first break through as the first successful one with a 100% original cast.

So Icons is instantly disqualified, hence people rooting for this one instead.

How is Icons any more disqualified than this, several of Hyper Light Drifter's moves are ripped straight from Ike/Cloud.

About the only thing this has over Icons is that this trailer wasn't made to specifically scream "Melee!" and its development is much further along so it looks better.

Evilisk

It probably helps that the game is far enough along that it looks decent. Icons is still suuuuper early so it's not really fair to expect it to be a polished game. But bullshots and marketing betas probably distort people's idea of what a very pre-alpha, very incomplete game looks like.

I understand that part

I was less focused on the actual graphics, and more on the "people are okay with this because it looks like LESS of a copy compared to Icons" comments. But after skimming the thread again, only post #3 seems to actually do that.

I don't disagree with the idea that these games are supposed to be like Smash. To an extent, thats the point, and the same could be said for anything in a genre. Generally, whenever i see something called a clone, it means people looked at the surface, saw a similarity, and its that, but plus that. A good example would be the idea that Titanfall is Call of Duty, except with Mechs, or that Brawl Lucario is Melee Mewtwo's replacement. I feel a lot is missed when these comparisons are made, and just like how each Super Smash Bros game is a difference experience from the last, any of these games could be equally as unique.

As per the damage/ringout system, i'd rather that become the standard amongst the clones (like the health bars in fighting games), as opposed to something like PSABRs systems or a bar.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I don't really like using the term because of the negative comparisons and if it were up to me, I'd just reserve it for the really crappy ones like the Cartoon Network game or something like Super Smash Flash. Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easier term to refer to these titles at the moment, which is why I just use it for the moment.

That said, someone mentioned the influx of platform fighters earlier in the thread, and I think that's relevant because we might see a new term coined for these types of fighters sooner as a result. Historically, pf's have been spaced out pretty far between one another, but there are so many titles spaced together now that I think we'll see a more accurate term sooner.

Giga Man

Brawlout, Brawlhalla, Bounty Battle, Icons, Rivals of Aether, Melee Masters...

That's one crowded indie market.

For me, only Rivals of Aether looks cool and fun to play. It also has an amazing soundtrack. Unfortunately, I have played none of these games yet.

RuhRo

I realize this isn't what this is, but a Smash Bros clone with a big cast of indie characters is actually a great idea.

Last edited:
Everything I've seen of Brawlout makes it looks Pretty Bad, but dang if I won't buy it for the Drifter. Plus on the Switch it'll help fill the gap since Nintendo is taking their sweet time with a proper Smash.

IMG_0924.jpg

Not sold on all the character models. Sword dude is definitely standing out vs the all cartoon animal cast beside him. Gameplay looks great though!

Daouzin

Don't think anyone has made a thread about it, but Brawlout is available on Steam right now for $10 as an early access title and I just spent about 2 hours with it.

The engine itself feels good. The potential is definitely here. The only issue I see is the move set on these characters. The designs are passable, but none of them feel very good. Also I couldn't find matches when I played, but it was 1:30 - 3:30 AM PDT.

Top Bottom