• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should R* make a Max Payne 4 a continuation, a prequel or a reboot?

But the thing that we'd most realistically get (and I'd be more than happy with) is a remake of the first two games using MP3's graphics and engine on modern systems. If I could get that, don't even care about anything else.

Well, as I already mentioned I'd rather see a sequel. But realistically a true remake is the probably the only thing that we could expect. Since Max Payne 3 doesn't exist for me storywise in the Max Payne universe, I'd be more than happy to dive into revitalized great adventures of Max Payne 1 and 2.

I'd prefer a reboot since i never played the others.

What are waiting for? Go and experience this great piece of masterfully crafted videogame history.

I think it'd be better to just write a whole new neo-noir game and market it a 'spiritual successor'.
There's no point in just re-doing the old story with better graphics and a shoehorned-in open world where you have to climb skyscrapers to reveal the map, while clearing drug dens to unlock fast travel points and collecting detective novels and pulp noir comics to unlock the "Dirty Harry" magnum.

I actually liked MP3, despite the shift in setting and (arguably) tone. I was expecting a generic action game, but making Max a washed-up old man was a really interesting take on the "I'm getting too old for this" trope. They went all-in on that trope and pulled it off IMO.

But I don't think they can take it any further after MP3. And a prequel won't really work, since Max is just a regular cop until the events of MP1.

HussiZooT

If we cannot be hopeful for a new entry in the series, I can be happy with a remake of the OG 2.

I would love a MP1 and MP2 remake with the enhanced RAGE engine and similar gameplay mechanics of MP3 minus the intrusive cutscenes obviously.

Raptomex

I loved Max Payne 3, despite some of its issues. I wouldn't mind a sequel or reboot as long as the gameplay is along the lines of what we saw in 3. However, skippable cut scenes need to be a thing. I don't mean waiting for them to load before skipping, I mean skipping them immediately. It would make replaying through the SP less of a chore. If the game is going to be cut scene heavy, I would suggest adding an unlockable mode (like Arcade mode) where it skips the cut scenes for you and you just go from battle to battle or something.

Aintitcool

Banned
I think Sam Houser and Sam Lake should both write Max Payne 4 and It should be both a prequel and direct sequel but more noir.

Max Payne 3 wrapped things up so conclusively that I can't really imagine where the story can go from here without relying on something incredibly contrived. Even 3 was pushing it after 2 but you could argue that Max hadn't come to grips with his inner demons, just his past. But now with all the character development done, where else is there to go? Any return to action would just make the previous game pointless.

So I guess reboot would be the proper direction. Maybe a prequel, though MP1 makes it pretty clear that Max had a fairly normal life before the events of the game so you'd probably need to focus on another character. Maybe a Mona Sax spin-off.

I wish we could somehow get a Max Payne entry that foregoes the insane amounts of cutscenes seen in MP3 and gives me its sweet nonstop balls-to-the-wall action at least 90% of the time.

If you want me to sit there and watch instead of play, make a Max Payne movie Rockstar.

Top Bottom