• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue axing Viacom networks on Nov 11th, adding BBCA, VICE, and more

ViciousDS

Banned
2017Q1 i think, more expensive tho.

Directv is end of this year?

But I don't think either have shown their channel line up, for me local channels is a must.

YUP

sling should be adding CSN here soon....once they do I might give them another go

Hell I might even check out layer 3......but with data caps now, I'll sadly have to settle for some shit comcast package. God having unlimited devices to use for streaming was awesome for Vue.......5 streams simultaneous....however you could have unlimited devices activated. No monthly bullshit.

Quonny

I don't care about any of those channels but they really need to get their ass in gear and get the local channels on there, stat.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Whoa. Looking at the list of what Viacom covers, it borderline makes Vue worthless doesn't it? We don't have it in Australia yet (if we even get it) but looking at what Viacom covers, those channels are the majority of what is currently watched in my home on Foxtel.

Comedy central is the only one that would effect me, but that's a big one. Damn... well I'll just cancel after the current Walking Dead season is over I guess.

J-Skee

I don't watch any of the Viacom channels. If anything, I'm happy about NBATV. I was really interested in that Martha Stewart/Snoop Dogg show, but I'll just watch at my girl's crib.

U2NUMB

Well fuck.. enough with the PR bull shit Sony just admit they asked for too much money. This sucks for CC and Nick shows.. my little girl loved DVRing her favorite shows. Fuck this annoys me... we just can not have nice things can we. This only ends with us paying much more than we are as the service gets more popular and we end up back where we began.

Al-San

Neo Member
Only channel that's I'm upset about losing is fucking Nick Jr. That shit was a staple in my son's rotation.... I don't watch any of the other channels that are being axed. There is no way I can go back to Comcast though. I saving like $80 a month with Vue.

Direct tv now a streaming service starting at $35 for 100 channels is supposed to launch in a couple of weeks

Are there any major differences between this and Vue? I currently have Vue, sounds like this has more channels, but does it have DVR and On Demand services?

abrack08

I just counted, they lost at least 21 channels that were on Vue. So that's pretty close to the 25, and maybe they got even closer if I miscounted.

Edit:

Here's what's leaving Vue

• Make that 22, I missed one.

• Most of those must be on the most expensive tier, these are the only ones that I have currently:

BET
    CMT
    Comedy Central
    MTV
    MTV2
    Nick Jr
    Nickelodeon
    NickToons
    Spike
    TV Land
    VH1

I imagine most people are on one of the lower 2 tiers (though don't know the numbers so this is really Tales From My Ass), they would only be losing 11 channels. I just think a big list of 25 is a bit misleading (with people commenting it was half the channels. This is 11 of 76 for me).

All that said, I'll definitely be looking at DirecTV Now if it's a comparable price, hopefully it has better DVR functionality.

I don't watch many of those channels, but it still sucks to lose them. Happy to get BBC. I'll keep vue around and see how much I even notice that they're gone. Hope they get it figured out eventually.

Do we know if the shows we recorded from Viacom channels will be removed on the 11th too, or will they stay until their 28 day limit has expired?

Nevyr

Banned
Are there any major differences between this and Vue? I currently have Vue, sounds like this has more channels, but does it have DVR and On Demand services?

Might want to make sure those channels are good for your needs too, 100 sounds like a lot but I have several hundred on my tv and 99% is shit.

Lomax

What is the point of packages if you're just going to drop shit over pricing? If Viacom wants a $10 tier, at least put that add an option, don't just dump it completely. Not liking the direction PS Vue is heading at all, the new Hulu and Google services need to get here asap.

3rdman

What is the point of packages if you're just going to drop shit over pricing? If Viacom wants a $10 tier, at least put that add an option, don't just dump it completely. Not liking the direction PS Vue is heading at all, the new Hulu and Google services need to get here asap.

Viacom may have demanded that they be included as part of the base package so that they always get a piece of the pie. Personally, I prefer that Sony drop them instead of giving into their extortion.

I was actually thinking about getting Vue, but with all those channels cut they should cut the price in half, otherwise it isn't even close to being worth it, at least for me it isn't.

Well that suck but it's a good thing Hulu also has a live TV service coming soon. hopefully these networks don't get too greedy & make something ugly out of what seemed so beautiful.

Lol Have you been paying attention to American capitalism for the past, oh, 35-40 yrs? That they're going to fuck this up is a near certainty. It's not a question of if, but when.

Speaking of which...to the OP: It's subjective, of course, but this move really seems to lower the overall value of Vue.

As someone who worked for DirecTV during their big Viacom disputes all I can say is fuck Viacom and I hope more providers ditch them.

It'll be the only way they will change.

And you guys are letting Viacom win.

To their credit, CableONE dropped Viacom several years ago and never looked back. I get the impression Viacom doesn't care too much how absurd their demands are, or how much those provider losses hurt them financially. But you can bet that they got on board with Vue at a reasonable price at first just to help get people hooked on their channels.

EDIT: Apparently this was only last year? Man how did I get the timing so wrong?
EDIT2: It was 2014, actually, that CableOne dropped Viacom, it seems..

belvedere

Junior Butler
This seemed like a big deal, especially with that channel list. Then I realized I hardly watch any of those channels. With any luck a future agreement can be reached where Sony won't have to dramatically increase subscription fees. I'm actually kind of glad Sony didn't allow VIacom to strong arm them. Greedy fucks.

Amory

Well this blows. Vue became my TV source a couple months ago and I've really been enjoying it, but losing Comedy Central is something I will very much notice.

Amory

PSA: I chatted with a representative on the Vue support page, and they offered me a year of Showtime for $1 a month to help compensate for the lost value of the channels.

Only channel that's I'm upset about losing is fucking Nick Jr. That shit was a staple in my son's rotation.... I don't watch any of the other channels that are being axed. There is no way I can go back to Comcast though. I saving like $80 a month with Vue.

Same here. Now I need to look at other options because I can't not have Nick Jr for my kids.

Azriell

I may end up cancelling. Vue worked as a cable replacement in my house because it has almost all the stuff kids want to watch. The only thing I really watch on Vue is Shark Tank, AMC, and random movies. It is nice to have NBC, but they're cutting too much and replacing it with too little.

Top Bottom