• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phamit

One moment I sorta want is for Kylo to finally see his grandfather. At first, he's estatic. Yes, he thinks, he can have the counsel of Darth Vader himself...!

But no, it's Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight. Who shakes his head once, and disappears.

Kylo goes apeshit.

The only good thing about Lucas' Edits, they could use Christensen for some Force Ghost scenes

Emarv

I am down for literally anything plot-wise, as long as we get one thing from Luke. Could we PLEASE get some acknowledgement for Owen and Beru? Luke eventually resists the dark side, violence, revenge, etc. Know how he was able to do that? Character. And you don't get that from a week with an old man or a few months with Kermit in a swamp.

Gimmie a scene where Rey asks him how to resist falling to the Dark Side:

Luke: I had special training. Special trainers.
Rey: Who? Warriors? Jedi Masters?
Luke. ... farmers.
Star Wars is Superman: The Movie confirmed!

i found that when discussing the merits of CGI, most people don't have a clue what is actually CGi vs. practical unless it's super obvious like those clones in AotC

I am down for literally anything plot-wise, as long as we get one thing from Luke. Could we PLEASE get some acknowledgement for Owen and Beru? Luke eventually resists the dark side, violence, revenge, etc. Know how he was able to do that? Character. And you don't get that from a week with an old man or a few months with Kermit in a swamp.

Gimmie a scene where Rey asks him how to resist falling to the Dark Side:

Luke: I had special training. Special trainers.
Rey: Who? Warriors? Jedi Masters?
Luke. ... farmers.

I think if a scene like this came up, it would be in relation to Rey's heritage. Like she learns they were a couple of random people, and wonders how she could amount to anything from that. Luke tells her.
"I am the son of Anakin Skywalker, who you know as Darth Vader, and Padme Amidala, once the Queen of Naboo. But I never knew them. My parents, the ones who made me who I am today? A couple of moisture farmers, Owen and Beru, out on Tatooine... I never got to say goodbye."

Emarv

The details of what it means to be a Jedi or a Sith are pretty irrelevant to what the movies are doing. Like, for almost all practical purposes a "Jedi" is just a force user and a "Sith" is just what you call an evil Jedi.

Been trying to keep up with this thread, but there's a lot. I think this little bit from this morning is something I keep debating in my head. I get the gray Jedi stuff, I get the appeal.

I just wonder how that affects the word Jedi itself. Jedi is in the cultural lexicon for "lightsaber wielding force user". Does Lucasfilm invent a new word? Or just redefine that word itself? In universe it makes sense to reject the name and teachings, but how do they get around the real life issue of denominations other than just calling them all "Force users"? Just a little hang up I have with the "last Jedi" concept.

I think the Jedi are done, but they create a new order with a new name. The can't really get away with having a title called "The Last Jedi" and then come back in the next movie with more.

XAL

I think the Jedi are done, but they create a new order with a new name. The can't really get away with having a title called "The Last Jedi" and then come back in the next movie with more.

I'm calling the Bendu as the new "gray jedi" order.

The wood around the shelf even looks Bendu-ish.

Emarv

Do we get a big Bendu push? If they choose a new name, you'd think they'd want to market it or something?

Star Wars IX: Rise of the Bendu

Ahsoka: The First Bendu - The Animated Series

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think if a scene like this came up, it would be in relation to Rey's heritage. Like she learns they were a couple of random people, and wonders how she could amount to anything from that. Luke tells her.
"I am the son of Anakin Skywalker, who you know as Darth Vader, and Padme Amidala, once the Queen of Naboo. But I never knew them. My parents, the ones who made me who I am today? A couple of moisture farmers, Owen and Beru, out on Tatooine... I never got to say goodbye."
Who would have known about who Luke's mother was who could have told him. Yoda and Obi-Wan but they dead. And it doesn't seem like force ghost material, "yo your mom was padme." "Who?" "Just watch the prequels... I'm sorry in advance"

molnizzle

Who would have known about who Luke's mother was who could have told him. Yoda and Obi-Wan but they dead. And it doesn't seem like force ghost material, "yo your mom was padme." "Who?" "Just watch the prequels... I'm sorry in advance"

I'm sure some of Leia's peeps knew the identity of her biological mother. She and Luke would've looked into that post-RotJ.

TreIII

If Obi-Wan or Anakin weren't talking, I'm sure Luke and Leia could probably look up some records during the peacetime.

If Aphra (from Marvel's Darth Vader comics, which are canon) was able to figure things out via some sleuthing and using her resources, I have to imagine Luke and Leia could do so, too.

TyrantII

i found that when discussing the merits of CGI, most people don't have a clue what is actually CGi vs. practical unless it's super obvious like those clones in AotC

The best CGI is the CGI you don't know is even employed. It's revolutionized set extensions and location filming.

You can keep your CGI characters though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The best CGI is the CGI you don't know is even employed. It's revolutionized set extensions and location filming.

The best is when there's a closeup of Kylo's mask and it's all CGI. I was pretty mind blown when I found that out.

sphagnum

Banned
According to Greg Rucka, who wrote Shattered Empire, he intended for Mon Mothma to be the one who told Leia about Padme shortly after RotJ. Didn't end up in the comic though so it's not canon.

Oozer3993

The novel Bloodline reveals that Luke and Leia know the identity of their real parents.

RedSwirl

It's probably already been said, but the prequels used more practical effects than people realize, especially ROTS.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Watching TFA having seen this trailer, and Daisy's comments about her heritage being obvious, I feel like an idiot.

The only possible way it isnt obvious is if her admission is just bullshit.

D_prOdigy

After she said that and I re-watched TFA, the only answer that seemed 'obvious' to me was that
she is Han's daughter, just from the way he kind of awkwardly asks her about her past, and the way the camera blatantly holds the shot on him and his guilty expression after she says she's never seen so much green before. If there's no blood relation there, he at least must know about her story.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
After she said that and I re-watched TFA, the only answer that seemed 'obvious' to me was that
she is Han's daughter, just from the way he kind of awkwardly asks her about her past, and the way the camera blatantly holds the shot on him and his guilty expression after she says she's never seen so much green before. If there's no blood relation there, he at least must know about her story.
Yeah but the first vision she has and its relation to the object shes touching...

Coincidence?

kurahador

I thought I was the only one. That scene seems to indicate that Han wronged her somehow.

obin_gam

I thought I was the only one. That scene seems to indicate that Han wronged her somehow.

Nah, that's just JJ forgetting to edit that cut correctly.

GhaleonEB

I always read that long reaction shot from Han, after Rey's line about all the green in the galaxy, was him mulling over offering her a job, which he does in the next scene. She's flipping out over some trees and he's thinking about how little she's seen of what's really out there. He offers her a job in part because he could use her, and in part because she basically needs to get out.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Nah, that's just JJ forgetting to edit that cut correctly.
Its more realistic to conclude he felt bad for someone so talented being restricted to a shitty desert planet.
I always read that long reaction shot from Han, after Rey's line about all the green in the galaxy, was him mulling over offering her a job, which he does in the next scene. She's flipping out over some trees and he's thinking about how little she's seen of what's really out there. He offers her a job in part because he could use her, and in part because she basically needs to get out.
Exactly

I mean, I don't know how ELSE to take that moment. It's blatantly obvious that this is the intention.

Like I've said before, I truly think that if Rey were a Solo or even Skywalker that we'd have found out in VII. The storytellers aren't stupid enough to delay what would be such an obvious answer for this long.

It'd be like waiting two years just to have basic suspicions confirmed. If they made something like that into some huge twist it would fall so flat and nobody would be surprised. It would backfire hard unless there's a lot more to it.

So it's none of the above. I obviously don't know what happens, but it would be fucking NUTS for them to pretend like something along those lines would surprise anyone. If she's related to a known lineage, it will be distant or something few people have guessed or suspected.

My feeling is that she's... Rey. Somebody. She has her own family, she's not related to Luke or Han. And again if she is, there's going to be some really interesting curve to it or details nobody has guessed.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I think we are failing to realize Star Wars falls on the extreme low end in terms of complex scifi plots. Maybe she was being sarcastic, but honestly the context clues are so blatant. This stuff is really only meant to be confusing to a younger audience.

I think the fanbase created artificial confusion and the production team rolled with it. I guarantee Rey is related to someone

Davide

Like I've said before, I truly think that if Rey were a Solo or even Skywalker that we'd have found out in VII.
Solo, yes, since Han died and it looks like Rey will be separated from Leia for at least most of the movie. Skywalker, no, since she hasn't even spoken a word to Luke yet and she'll spend a lot of time with him in VIII.

It can be something different than what people suspect without being complicated :p

Solo, yes, since Han died and it looks like Rey will be separated from Leia for at least most of the movie. Skywalker, no, since she hasn't even spoken a word to Luke yet and she'll spend a lot of time with him in VIII.

That doesn't mean anything to me, again the point I'm trying to make is that I firmly don't believe that because if it were something that predictable I doubt they would be leading us on for so long.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
It can be something different than what people suspect without being complicated :p
I mean I don't disagree.
I just think the vision scene will be rendered bullshit if they bamboozle us. And I hope they don't because I actually love that scene. For me it elevates the significance of a lightsaber as a lifelong tool rather than a disposable piece of tech.

I actually feel like JJs films respect lightsabers more than George did. They were literal garbage trash in the prequels.

I mean I don't disagree.
I just think the vision scene will be rendered bullshit if they bamboozle us. And I hope they don't because I actually love that scene.

Nah. She had that vision because there's a ton of history connected to that lightsaber and she saw things through the Force. All we really see are some past events where the saber has been. It's not an indication that they're related IMO.

Of course they could have some brilliant way in store to reveal that to be the case, but I dunno. If so they need to be careful because if it's something that easy, everyone will wonder why the hell they drew it out for so long :p

Chuckie

That doesn't mean anything to me, again the point I'm trying to make is that I firmly don't believe that because if it were something that predictable I doubt they would be leading us on for so long.

Didn't Daisy Ridley say she thought it was made ' pretty obvious' in TFA who Rey's parents were? Pretty obvious sounds like something predictable and not that her father is Darth Sidious for instance

Or was she messing with us?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Nah. She had that vision because there's a ton of history connected to that lightsaber and she saw things through the Force. All we really see are some past events where the saber has been. It's not an indication that they're related IMO.

Of course they could have some brilliant way in store to reveal that to be the case, but I dunno. If so they need to be careful because if it's something that easy, everyone will wonder why the hell they drew it out for so long :p
What I mean by bamboozle is that showing her younger on Jakku with the ship leaving either has to be significant or be bullshit editing.

They aren't that stupid though.

kurahador

A movie directed and co-wrote by the creator of Alias/Lost/Revolution/Fringe/Alcatraz leading us viewers on a prolonged mystery?
Impossible I say!!

antonz

Grey Jedi concept is so lazy. Lucas allowed the concept to be explored in the old EU and ultimately it was revealed to be a Sith plot to trick Jedi into the dark side. You cannot use Evil means and have the high ground.

Bendu recently is just another example of the farce of it all. When push came to shove he was ready to murder everyone. So as long as you murder or torture everyone equally suddenly you are morally upright?

A movie directed and co-wrote by the creator of Lost leading us viewers on a prolonged mystery? Impossible I say!!

He only did VII, and Damon Lindelof/Carlton Cuse took over Lost after Abrams did the pilot. So I don't think that really matters a great deal :p

I just don't think it's going to be that obvious or easy. Like I said if she's a Skywalker I really hope they handle it in a satisfactory enough way so people don't feel like they were being treated like morons. That could EASILY happen if they're not really careful with their approach.

kurahador

He only did VII, and Damon Lindelof/Carlton Cuse took over Lost after Abrams did the pilot. So I don't think that really matters a great deal :p

And 8 isn't out yet. Now that he's off, I do expect the question to be addressed in the very first few minutes of 8.

The bigger mystery here is what the text crawl is going to be. Is it going to recap the event of TFA?

JonCha

The only thug that worries me about this that both Mark and Daisy have said to Rian that they needed to talk to him about their characters as they were concerned.

obin_gam

And 8 isn't out yet. Now that he's off, I do expect the question to be addressed in the very first few minutes of 8.

The bigger mystery here is what the text crawl is going to be. Is it going to recap the event of TFA?

I remember this being talked about in the TLJ panel last week. Something about, explaining the current state (post Starkiller Base, post Republic) of the galactic politics.

I do expect the question to be addressed in the very first few minutes of 8.

I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say that's not gonna be the case :p

Abrams and Kasdan wrote VII. There's a story group at Lucasfilm as well. It's not like everyone was like oh thank god Abrams is gone, we can answer the question right away! It ain't working like that.

TheWraith

I feel the same. As some kind of rule CGI can really work when it's used as an extension, but my brain kindof shuts out when it's CGI overload even in movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, which would be way better if imagined with way less CG and no CGI characters.

Speaking of, has Rian Johnson or anyone else involved in The Last Jedi commented on the use of CGI? Is it used as in Episode 7 with a great balance between practical and CG (except Maz)? From the behind the scenes we've seen so far there seems to be an awful lot of green screen going on.

Grey Jedi concept is so lazy. Lucas allowed the concept to be explored in the old EU and ultimately it was revealed to be a Sith plot to trick Jedi into the dark side. You cannot use Evil means and have the high ground.

Bendu recently is just another example of the farce of it all. When push came to shove he was ready to murder everyone. So as long as you murder or torture everyone equally suddenly you are morally upright?

Personally, continually using the Jedi vs Sith dynamic is equally as lazy.

There is are a few moments in the prequels that point to maybe the classic Jedi approach being flawed, so the groundwork for Luke/Rey to rework the Jedi or have an expanded understanding of the force is already there.

While I do agree having full-on anti-hero Jedi doesn't really work either, there is definitely some room for more wrinkles in the force and the Jedi Order 2.0, especially in a post Anakin and Ben universe.

Her parents are nobodies that abandoned her. I'd say that is pretty obvious from TFA.

Because like
We see them abandon her in a flashback
And we see her begin to accept they'll never come back
After someone literally says onscreen they're never coming back

People are just deadset on there being a twist because that one time 37 years and a half-dozen films ago there was a parantage twist and for all the ranting about "ugh they're just remaking the OT" everyone apparently wants them to remake the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom