• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Yes, but what does that change regarding Ganon? Where does it say he cant come back as Calamity Ganon in any timeline?
It wasn't clearly phrased, but it was a response to a post about BOTW taking place in the adult timeline. Ganon and the master sword are stuck under the sea in old Hyrule in that timeline and it's one of the reasons BOTW doesn't fit there. I'm not sure where you are getting that second question from, nothing was said about other timelines.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
What are you talking about? The game even mentiones that He used to be taking the shape of the Gerudo once upon a time. Pretty sure Calamity Ganon is more or less just the bodyless perosnification of Ganon/Demises curse in this far future.
I meant Ganondorf is deep within the sea with the Master Sword in his skull after only having attacked once.

There's no way there can be Calamity Ganon in the Adult timeline

I wonder if we may be reading too much into the LABORATORY aspect of the boss fight and how it corresponds to the Sheikah/Yiga accidentally resurrecting Ganon?

In one of the memories Zelda is watching some Sheikah warriors working with a Guardian down in the courtyards. I feel like the lab is where they worked on repairing and rebuilding Guardians, and when Ganon attacked, he went into the main part of the castle which is over the lab. Zelda imprisoned him there, and he used his prison as a cocoon and since it was in the lab he gathered bits and pieces of Sheikah tech and Guardian bits to rebuild himself. As far as I can tell there's no evidence that either the Sheikah or the Yiga were doing any experiments with the Triforce though it's entirely possible I missed it? I feel like the Triforce was actually barely mentioned at all in this game, really.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I swear the voice actress who plays Zelda slips back into an American accent at least twice during the memories, but I can't quite put my finger on where just yet.

I was hoping Zelda would be an old lady at the end.
Maybe dying shortly after Ganon is defeated.

That would suck too much for Link, who didn't age a day and obviously liked Zelda a lot.

Chairhome

So, regarding timeline:
During the "ceremony" memory, Zelda mentions that the sword has been "Skyward bound, adrift in time, steeped in the glowing embers of twilight"
Doesn't that provide strong evidence for the Child Timeline?

13ruce

Banned
So, regarding timeline:
During the "ceremony" memory, Zelda mentions that the sword has been "Skyward bound, adrift in time, steeped in the glowing embers of twilight"

Yes but some people dismiss that lol.
It's either that or all timelines combined.

emb

So, regarding timeline:
I couldn't make it out, but I've heard claims that she references other timelines after the audio focus shifts away from her to the champions?

So, regarding timeline:

Yes, especially as that scene really feels like a direct nod from the developers with regards to the timeline. The problem is that the child timeline doesn't match with the use of sage names, but that could be something Nintendo overlooked.

Timeaisis

This Reddit thread sorts out the timeline theories pretty well. I initially thought it was Child timeline, but later changed my mind to Downfall after examining all of the evidence in game.

Thank you, that is helpful.

I meant Ganondorf is deep within the sea with the Master Sword in his skull after only having attacked once.

I don't think that's true at all. It's been 10,000 years, and who knows how many years passed before that. It could be literally anywhere in the timeline.

Chairhome

Sorry if I am retreading old topics with my timeline comment. Recently beat the game so I came into this thread, and I just thought that line stuck out. I am in the camp that this takes place thousands of years after the child timeline, I guess.

Also:
I think the Calamity Ganon fight intro is a big nod to their old E3 Wii U Zelda Tech demo. Spider boss, the way he removes his sword and swings it out in preparation...

Kamina

Golden Boy

I dont agree. While i also think it is likely the Child timeline, i dont think the adult timeline is impossible. Who knows how many eons passed since the flood, maybe the sea dried out and hyrule was refounded. I know its farfetched, but i wouldnt rule it out completely.

I don't think that's true at all. It's been 10,000 years, and who knows how many years passed before that. It could be literally anywhere in the timeline.

And yet no one remembers or references the world flooding and being submerged despite still remembering individual people that lived in OOT's era.

There's no evidence leaning toward the adult timeline outside of what species are around (which is never good timeline evidence because Nintendo doesn't care with that) and a lot against it.

Ms.Galaxy

In the Adult Timeline, the King wished for all remnants of Hyrule to vanish, this includes the land, the myths, the legends, the sacred artifacts, and yes, even Demise's Curse. There's no way Ganon is ever returning in this timeline, he's trapped under the ocean, dead and turned to rock, with the Master Sword stabbed through his head. He doesn't hold the Triforce of Power anymore, and the Triforce itself has vanished in that timeline. He's not coming back, it's nearly impossible for him to come back. The Adult Timeline is the least possible timeline for BotW to take place in.

So, regarding timeline:

In the same scene, she references Wind Waker and Link to the Past while the Champions are talking amongst themselves, two games outside the unified and child timelines. We can't take this scene as evidence as of now. We also have the issue that the Ocarina of Time sages were awaken in this timeline and there's detailed history of Ruto fighting along side the Hero of Time long ago.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Personally, i see it in Child Timeline
But this game seems to be hinting a lot toward Downfall with it's general style and the fact that they literally developed it on the Zelda 1 engine first before implementing things into the game.

Weren't the guardian robots created 10,000 years ago?

I would imagine that any Zelda game would have to have taken place thousands of years before that because there is no prior Zelda game where the technology they have even begins to approach semi-sentient war robots.

Ms.Galaxy

Weren't the guardian robots created 10,000 years ago?

I would imagine that any Zelda game would have to have taken place thousands of years before that because there is no prior Zelda game where the technology they have even begins to approach semi-sentient war robots.

I dunno, Guardians seem like the evolution of Beamo and Armo technology from previous Zelda games. Maybe give the Sheikah a few hundred years, and they can build the Guardians.

I dunno, Guardians seem like the evolution of Beamo Technology from previous Zelda games. Maybe give the Sheikah a few hundred years, and they can build the Guardians.

Laser beans seem to be everywhere in all eras of Zelda. Building robots that can move around seems a lot more difficult.

Not to mention they made flying robots. A civilization has to be pretty advanced in order to figure out the whole flight thing. The flying divine beast is a pretty impressive engineering feat.

Then there's the towers and the fact that Link has an ipad. And teleportation powers.

Opa-Pa

I think it's important that Aonuma said that once you played through the game, its place in the timeline would become clear... As in the most obvious, simple explanation is probably the answer. And considering he says the fact that Ganon has attacked multiple times is vital to the timeline placement, then only downfall really works.

I was kind of on board with the adult timeline before playing the game, since going back to old Hyrule after the sea dried up wouldn't be all that weird, it's still a pretty convoluted explanation in comparison.

Yeah the Guardian Turrets in Hyrule Castle are very reminiscent of past Zelda baddies. No reason to assume they didn't build those first, then created the walkers, then the drones last. Pretty natural evolution of the technology when you look at it that way.

Edit: the flight thing isn't that advanced. It's not like they have planes or jet engines or hover technology. Everything, including the Divine Beast, flies via basic propeller technology which is something even the Koroks have and use to float.

Ms.Galaxy

Yeah the Guardian Turrets in Hyrule Castle are very reminiscent of past Zelda baddies. No reason to assume they didn't build those first, then created the walkers, then the drones last. Pretty natural evolution of the technology when you look at it that way.

Judging by the designs of the three guardians, I'd say drones came first, then the walkers. Aviation technology seems far more simpler than the six legged, fully articulated walker.

I see that the natural evolution of it as Beamo - Turret - Drone - Mini Guardian - Walkers

RagnarokX

I mean, the evidence for Child Timeline just isn't strong compared to the evidence for Downfall. For Downfall you got a detailed description of events that didn't occur in the Child Timeline and for Child you got a passing reference to twilight. Even if the rest of Zelda's speech didn't also include references to Wind Waker and ALttP, that's the kind of vague reference that's meant to be a nod to the player and nothing more. There's always a sky, time exists everywhere, and twilight occurs twice a day every day. These are easy references to games that can double for references to stuff that happens every day. And even if Zelda was referencing the Twilight Realm specifically, that doesn't mean she was referencing the events of Twilight Princess. Just mentioning twilight isn't enough to make a timeline placement.

Judging by the designs of the three guardians, I'd say drones came first, then the walkers. Aviation technology seems far more simpler than the six legged, fully articulated walker.

I see that the natural evolution of it as Beamo - Turret - Drone - Mini Guardian - Walkers

Y'know that does make more sense, I forgot the drones telescope out like the turrets do.

Timeaisis

And yet no one remembers or references the world flooding and being submerged despite still remembering individual people that lived in OOT's era.

There's no evidence leaning toward the adult timeline outside of what species are around (which is never good timeline evidence because Nintendo doesn't care with that) and a lot against it.

I'm not saying there is. Now that it has been explained, I'm leaning TP as well. Just saying 10,000 years is a heck of a long time and you can explain away every discrepancy with "it's been 10k years..."

RagnarokX

The turret guardians have spinning fins on their heads like the beamos from Skyward Sword.

UntidyWealthyKob-size_restricted.gif

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The turret guardians have spinning fins on their heads like the beamos from Skyward Sword.

I always figured the "fins" were supposed to be like wind-up keys. Neat.

Seriously this game seems to reference Skyward Sword more than anything else. It's weird to see a Hyrule whose main religion is monotheistic.

Ms.Galaxy

Y'know that does make more sense, I forgot the drones telescope out like the turrets do.

It is interesting to study them, you can actually see their natural evolution just by how they act in idle and combat situations. For example, there is a major design flaw with the Drones that was fixed with the Walkers. Drones get effected by the recoil from their beams. I've seen it happen a few times in my play through, where they fire at me once and they start shaking around off balance, losing sight of me or throwing off their aim. Walkers are far more balanced and can take the recoil, they're faster, and they also can climb and cling on to any terrain, making the drones obsolete in most combat situations except in aerial and naval warfare (Which doesn't seem to be a thing in Hyrule with the Rito serving as a possible exception.)

Likewise, you can tell that the Walkers were likely the final model made as they are far more mass produced than all the other Guardian models, while the Turrets are very limited in number. Drones exist far more than Turrets, but far less than Walkers and Mini Guardians.

Galava

This is my new headcanon timeline:

(+) are games, (-) key events outside games

+skyward sword
+minish cap
+four swords
-sheikah build technology (maybe from discovering something from the skyward sword era)
-defeat calamity ganon with guardians and divine beasts
-sheikah monks buried with the shrines to guide a future hero (profecy that is mentioned by Midna about divine beast and a hero?)
-sheikah vanished (became twili?)
-technology forgotten and buried
-many many years
+ocarina of time
+majoras mask
+twilight princess
+four swords adventures
-many many years
-Ancient sheikah technology discovered
-Calamity ganon attacks again and wins (sword's seal weakened?)
-zelda keeps ganon in the castle until link appears
+breath of the wild

I think I'm missing something, but well.

13ruce

Banned
How about the fact that Ruto fought alongside Link and Zelda against Ganon which didn't happen in the child timeline? It's clearly downfall.

But how would that explain the Twilight part? I doubt a simular event like Twilight Princess happens in that timeline unless it happens in all three timelines someday?

For the Master Sword to be steeped/bathed in Twilight it needs to go to the Twilight Realm atleast.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
It is interesting to study them, you can actually see their natural evolution just by how they act in idle and combat situations. For example, there is a major design flaw with the Drones that was fixed with the Walkers. Drones get effected by the recoil from their beams. I've seen it happen a few times in my play through, where they fire at me once and they start shaking around off balance, losing sight of me or throwing off their aim. Walkers are far more balanced and can take the recoil, they're faster, and they also can climb and cling on to any terrain, making the drones obsolete in most combat situations except in aerial and naval warfare (Which doesn't seem to be a thing in Hyrule with the Rito serving as a possible exception.)

Likewise, you can tell that the Walkers were likely the final model made as they are far more mass produced than all the other Guardian models, while the Turrets are very limited in number. Drones exist far more than Turrets, but far less than Walkers and Mini Guardians.

Where would the Guardian Scout variations and Sentries fit there?

Good god, that UI was such a travesty.
To be fair you could turn most of that off.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Guardian Scouts are the Walkers I'm talking about and Sentries are the Turrets.
Wait aren't Guardian Scouts the small ones in Shrines? The big ones are Guardian Stalkers, no? I thought Sentries were the small ones that just shoot last beams... I might be misremembering the names...

Ms.Galaxy

Wait aren't Guardian Scouts the small ones in Shrines? The big ones are Guardian Stalkers, no? I thought Sentries were the small ones that just shoot last beams... I might be misremembering the names...

Yeah, I fixed it. I misremembered.

So the mini guardians are likely prototypes of the normal Walkers, they carry a similar design feature of the drones and turrets with their stretched neck. They are also only located in Shrines which are small facilities really. According to the Hyrule Compendium, they were seem to be deemed too weak to aid in the fight with the Calamity and were placed in Shrines because of it. Sentries are likely the prototype of the Drones, they don't do much at all and only serves as an alert system, likely designed to test out the searchlight feature in the drones.

RagnarokX

But how would that explain the Twilight part? I doubt a simular event like Twilight Princess happens in that timeline unless it happens in all three timelines someday?

• The Interloper War in which the Dark Interlopers were imprisoned in the Twilight Realm occured before Ocarina of Time. Could be referencing that.
  • Zelda just mentions "twilight," not the events of Twilight Princess. Could be referencing a different event involving Twilight.
  • Twilight is a time of day that occurs every day twice a day.

Things like this just further push me to that theory that somehow the timeline is cyclical.

EDIT:

• The Interloper War in which the Dark Interlopers were imprisoned in the Twilight Realm occured before Ocarina of Time. Could be referencing that.
  • Zelda just mentions "twilight," not the events of Twilight Princess. Could be referencing a different event involving Twilight.

I made a post about this in the other thread but what really solidifies the downfall timeline in my mind is jut how many hoops you need to jump through, how many things needed to happen behind the scenes without us being told, for this to make sense in either of the other timelines. The reference to twilight can easily be explained as an easter egg but you'd have to come up with some convoluted explanation to make sense of the depiction of Ruto as a sage. Same for the draining of the great sea, the return of the royal family to old Hyrule, someone removing the Master Sword from Ganondorf, and somehow remaking the triforce after the King literally destroyed it.

Downfall timeline doesn't need any of these crazy fan explanations/theories to fit.

Ms.Galaxy

Things like this just further push me to that theory that somehow the timeline is cyclical.

I dunno, the timeshift stones in the area seem to have something that resembles the Sheikah Eye symbol on them. It's not unlikely that the Ancient Sheikah had a hand in building those beamos. Anything close to the Goddesses, which I think the Sheikah are, are likely to have the knowledge of their ancient tech.

13ruce

Banned

I agree with your first point and kinda with the second one, but the third would make no sense at all. I doubt the Master Sword is steeped in normal Twilight from Hyrule...

Anyway don't get me wrong i want a full 3D game taking place in the downfall timeline aswell since there is not one there yet, but why reference it directly after Skyward Sword and OoT that must have a meaning.

That's why i am more leaning towards a timeline merge unless confirmed otherwise there are so much references and land marks and races that point to all of them.

Aonuma said that after playing BotW, that if you replay TP it would make more sense unless he is just saying stuff (honestly it did clear anything up lol). Honestly i kinda hope Aonuma just says where it takes place around summer or so, or after all dlc is out.

Galava

I agree with your first point and kinda with the second one, but the third would make no sense at all. I doubt the Master Sword is steeped in normal Twilight from Hyrule...

Anyway don't get me wrong i want a full 3D game taking place in the downfall timeline aswell since there is not one there yet, but why reference it directly after Skyward Sword and OoT that must have a meaning.

That's why i am more leaning towards a timeline merge unless confirmed otherwise there are so much references and land marks and races that point to all of them.

Aonuma said that after playing BotW, that if you replay TP it would make more sense unless he is just saying stuff. Honestly i kinda hope Aonuma just says where it takes place around summer or so, or after all dlc is out.

In TP HD this was included, kinda giving away that botw might happen in child timeline, but who knows...
tumblr_ohng8co21b1r0bvmko1_1280.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

For the Master Sword to be steeped/bathed in Twilight it needs to go to the Twilight Realm atleast.
Zelda mention the oceans (Wind Waker) and an alternate world (Link to the Past) too during the segment where the scene fades to the champions talking, so this is a moot point.

I dunno, the timeshift stones in the area seem to have something that resembles the Sheikah Eye symbol on them. It's not unlikely that the Ancient Sheikah had a hand in building those beamos. Anything close to the Goddesses, which I think the Sheikah are, are likely to have the knowledge of their ancient tech.

Yeah it's kind of a strange theory (cyclical timeline) but it would be interesting. The ancient sea mentioned in SS could be the great sea from WW for instance. It would be interesting to see the connections if it winds up being true.

The thing is, there is no Hero of Time in the child timeline. Hyrule Historia says this essentially, since the Hero's Shade regrets that nobody knows of his actions as a hero which saved Hyrule. So Zelda mentioning that time travel happened should be an indicator that it can't be the child timeline. EDIT: If you're believing that this whole speech isn't just for references I mean.

Zelda mention the oceans (Wind Waker) and an alternate world (Link to the Past) too during the segment where the scene fades to the champions talking, so this is a moot point.

Crossing the ocean could also be a reference to Link's Awakening, though that's unlikely.

Galava

What if the sheikahs with the technology and/or meditation managed to look into other timelines and create those "legends" about the hero?

Ms.Galaxy

What if the sheikahs with the technology managed to look into other timelines and create those "legends" about the hero?

A Sheikah device that transcends time and space? I could see that being possible considering the Sheikah Stones in OoT3D, Skyward Sword, and MM3D.

RagnarokX

Aonuma said that after playing BotW, that if you replay TP it would make more sense unless he is just saying stuff (honestly it did clear anything up lol). Honestly i kinda hope Aonuma just says where it takes place around summer or so, or after all dlc is out.

My point with the last one is that Zelda's references in her speech are all vague enough that she could be not actually referring to any games intentionally but coincidentally. They refer to games but they also refer to things that exist in everyday life; skies, time, twilight.

Why reference twilight? It's one of the most popular games and it was recently re-released in HD. It's just one insubstantial reference that goes against all the substantial evidence

In TP HD this was included, kinda giving away that botw might happen in child timeline, but who knows...

That implies that those races existed prior to the timeline split since they're being depicted with the young Hero of Time. So it's an excuse to have them in all 3 timelines.

Galava

A Sheikah device that transcends time and space? I could see that being possible considering the Sheikah Stones in OoT3D, Skyward Sword, and MM3D

Maybe they tried to look for other timelines in order to look for help or clues about how to defeat Ganon or try to look into his past and maybe the future.

The twilight mirror could be one of those devices (maybe the original, from whihc the sheikah develoepd other devices), but that one connected just to the twilight world.

Dark mirror another one, which connects to the dark world.

The Ocarina might be another one, one item that could be used regardless of which timeline you're in and that can bring you back to your original timeline.

Those devices could be based on devices that appeared in skyward sword or straight from that era and used by the sheikah.

13ruce

Banned
Yeah it's kind of a strange theory (cyclical timeline) but it would be interesting. The ancient sea mentioned in SS could be the great sea from WW for instance. It would be interesting to see the connections if it winds up being true.

The thing is, there is no Hero of Time in the child timeline. Hyrule Historia says this essentially, since the Hero's Shade regrets that nobody knows of his actions as a hero which saved Hyrule. So Zelda mentioning that time travel happened should be an indicator that it can't be the child timeline. EDIT: If you're believing that this whole speech isn't just for references I mean.

Crossing the ocean could also be a reference to Link's Awakening, though that's unlikely.

Yeah you all are probably right there are so much references and evidences to all timelines honestly it's hard to point it to any of them unless someone from Nintendo confirms it.
Like races, landmarks, location names, the sages like ruto and more.

And a 10000+ year skip is pretty big it's not even crazy if maybe the timeline somehow merged in those years, and that all stories are known as folk legends now. (they still all happened ofcourse)

Edit:

My point with the last one is that Zelda's references in her speech are all vague enough that she could be not actually referring to any games intentionally but coincidentally. They refer to games but they also refer to things that exist in everyday life; skies, time, twilight.

Why reference twilight? It's one of the most popular games and it was recently re-released in HD. It's just one insubstantial reference that goes against all the substantial evidence

That implies that those races existed prior to the timeline split since they're being depicted with the young Hero of Time. So it's an excuse to have them in all 3 timelines.

That makes sense yeah but where would it be placed then? I have not found everything ofcourse but all the things i found can point to all three timelines honestly.

Ms.Galaxy

Yeah you all are probably right there are so much references and evidences to all timelines honestly it's hard to point it to any of them unless someone from Nintendo confirms it.

And a 10000+ year skip is pretty big it's not even crazy if maybe the timeline somehow merged in those years, and that all stories are known as folk legends now. (they still all happened ofcourse)

We don't even know what happened prior to 10,000 years ago. All we know is that the Sheikah are described as an advanced civilization whose power and wisdom had saved the land of Hyrule countless times and that they caused a technological revolution in Hyrule around that time.

This does help the Downfall Timeline though, as the Sheikah are very much existent and constantly appear to serve the Royal Family in that timeline. In fact, they only appear in that timeline with Impaz from Twilight Princess being the exception, and the last of the Sheikah.

Top Bottom