• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
This thread has become a joke. I'd tell you all about my six-hour conversation with Kamitani about eroticism and its role in Japanese history but I fear it wouldn't be worth the time.

The girl gamers I know don't have problems with Dragon's Crown or Bayonetta artstyle. They like Chun Li or Cammy. But they think Gearbox games like Brother in Arms or Borderlands are FPS rubish for males with generic artstyle.

One of them is offended with the last Tomb Raider because Lara appears as weak and someone to protect, something she don't like and prefer the strong Lara, doesn't matter. She didn't care if Lara had giant boobs, as she don't care if male characters are overmusculated or not.

Lara and Samus =(.

This thread has become a joke. I'd tell you all about my six-hour conversation with Kamitani about eroticism and its role in Japanese history but I fear it wouldn't be worth the time.

Dude..you just don't say something like that and burn off into the sunset..spill it, I'm a big fan of the dudes, his thought's on any topic are worth hearing, at least where I'm concerned.
Is there anything that actually establishes that Moxxi runs a burlesque show and not just a bar? I never played through her DLC, but I know in two she just ran a normal bar, I never saw a stage with performers.

she also hosts tournaments, the deathmatches in the first one come to mind..horrible dlc.

Tellaerin

You can't just drop a bomb like that into the thread and walk away, man! I'd be interested in hearing about that, and I imagine quite a few other people here would, too.

APF

No, in fact I complain about the practices my company has more then I complain about any other company in the industry I work in. My issue isn't that she was critical, my issue is that she was being selectively critical.

But you have no idea what she's said about Gearbox in the past.

Anatopism

Neo Member
No, in fact I complain about the practices my company has more then I complain about any other company in the industry I work in. My issue isn't that she was critical, my issue is that she was being selectively critical.

BS, she was just acting like any normal person and bothering to comment on it since the topic came up on a forum. Might as well complain that you're selectively complaining about her when there's millions of people doing what you claim she's doing. She sees a thread on a forum, she posts something relevant to the thread. No need for constructing conspiracies about her motives when the obvious answer is rather simple and mundane.

Oh, and I love how you went from "When I worked for Activision I came here all the time and posted about things I thought
Activision was doing wrong. Do you think I should have shut up?" to "What? You want her to speak out about her own employer and call them out for doing things she doesn't like? Do you want her to get fired?" So it was a perfectly reasonable option for you to question your employer on an internet forum but all of the sudden its beyond comprehension that someone else should do the same thing?

I don't see much point in belaboring the rest of the argument; you clearly see nothing wrong with a textbook ad hominem argument, but I want to clarify the difference between these situations is that when I was employed by Activision, I didn't write critical posts about them under my own name; I did so anonymously, and from the perspective of a disinterested consumer (I didn't have or claim to have an insider's perspective or any control over anything; in fact I wasn't saying anything that lots of other bloggers and posters weren't also saying independently). Surely even you see the difference between posting under one's own name and posting under a pseudonym. And this shows the problem with your argument: by your thinking, if you (hypothetically) had read my posts at the time, you might have agreed with them (as did dozens of others basically all saying the same things about their business); and yet, now, years later that you have this information, you would suddenly retroactively say they were null and void even though the actual opinion or argument would not have changed.

daedalius

27 pages of pointless argument over an artist that works at a game company having an opinion about art that another artist at another game company made.

Where's that welcome to neogaf gif?

suzu

All good and well that she clarified/explained her opinion more, but it would've been nice if it wasn't so inflammatory from the start (kinda like the first Kotaku "article"?).

Probably part of the reason why some people are upset about this talk about the sorceress character, artist, and game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I'd like to read about that

I'd say make a new thread but I'm not sure we need another platform for this discussion

test_account

XP-39C²
All good and well that she clarified/explained her opinion more, but it would've been nice if it wasn't so inflammatory from the start (kinda like the first Kotaku "article"?).

Probably part of the reason why some people are upset about this talk about the sorceress character, artist, and game.
What did she explain more? I havnt followed the thread, sorry.

I don't see much point in belaboring the rest of the argument; you clearly see nothing wrong with a textbook ad hominem argument, but I want to clarify the difference between these situations is that when I was employed by Activision, I didn't write critical posts about them under my own name; I did so anonymously, and from the perspective of a disinterested consumer (I didn't have or claim to have an insider's perspective or any control over anything; in fact I wasn't saying anything that lots of other bloggers and posters weren't also saying independently). Surely even you see the difference between posting under one's own name and posting under a pseudonym. And this shows the problem with your argument: by your thinking, if you (hypothetically) had read my posts at the time, you might have agreed with them (as did dozens of others basically all saying the same things about their business); and yet, now, years later that you have this information, you would suddenly retroactively say they were null and void even though the actual opinion or argument would not have changed.
No I wouldn't. That makes no sense toward my argument. Your scenario implies that I think she's wrong. It's her opinion, I can't tell her shes wrong if she doesn't like something. My issue is that she doesn't practice what she preaches. I'm not going to listen to someone who would make such brash insulting judgements that works for someone who does the same things she's trying to make fun of. It lowers the credibility of her opinions to me because she's involved in the same things she's criticizing, yet acting like she's better then them in some way. It's the same reason I stopped listening to politicians, they're very easy to pass judgement and act like they know everything while very rarely, if ever doing better then the people they're criticizing. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean everyone has to take it into consideration or consider it valid. I'm not going to listen to the opinion of an artist I don't find credible criticizing anything.

You were making judgements against your own employer, which is justifiable because it doesn't show me any bias. You were judging the quality of what your company was doing and criticizing it because it wasn't up to your standards. That's very different then pointing the finger at other people and trying to act like their art is juvenile while you work for a company that made Duke Nukem Forever. The people at Gearbox aren't making anything better, so why should I care about what anyone there thinks in the first place? She's involved in the same things she's mocking so she shouldn't just be pointing fingers at other people, she should be pointing one towards her own company as well.

I'm not going to listen to someone that acts like that. If you can't even live your life better then the people you're trying to pass judgement on then maybe you don't have very much business going around passing that judgement in the first place.

Well, if you don't care about her opinion, why criticize it, is my point. If you do care enough to criticize it, at least be informed about what you're criticizing. (She apologized for that hyperbolic post, btw.)
I'm informed. She said something idiotic, and that's all that needs to be known. I don't think I criticized her, regardless.

Sutanreyu

Look at the Dwarf... He's a hypersexualized male. So it really doesn't have to do much with just trying to target the male audience, but both genders.

Aaron

Lara and Samus =(.
Don't let the pre-release developer talk fool you. Lara Croft in the new Tomb Raider doesn't need any protecting. She's a Dexter style serial killer who clubs guys with an axe before sticking an arrow in their neck and smashing their face with a rock. I've played all of the Tomb Raider games, and she's never been more 'empowered.' She's downright scary.

haha the skullgirls VA's get so annoyed when that game gets called sexist.

At first I was indifferent to the Skullgirl's VA because I thought of them like just people doing a job. But when I watched Fanatiq's donation stream and some salty cupcakes, I actually like the VAs and they have gone over this kind of topic many times. Men and women like boobies, if you need evidence you should see how much money people have donated to save boobies from cancer (warms my heart when I see donation drives like this and AGDQ)!

test_account

XP-39C²
See this post (bottom quotes after "For the record"):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56637236&postcount=1276
Thanks :) Although in that quote it doesnt seem to me like she clearified much on what she first said about the Dragon Crown's artwork. What she said to begin with is kinda insulting to the Dragon Crown's artist, in my opinion. There would be other ways to say it and still get the same point across. I also dont really agree with what she says that a game like Dragon's Crown serves the purpose to cement that gaming developement is a male thing only, although i see her point. But the same thing could be said about for example violent games as well, because the stereotype kinda thing is that violent and shooting in games/movies is more of a guy's thing. So i dont think that one game like Dragon's Crown is really much damaging in this regards, especially concidering how many games that are made.

Adam Blue

Just showed the Dragon's Crown pictures to my wife (we're actually at the hospital, just had a baby) and she had no reaction. I told her the attacks critics are having on the artists and those that like the art, and she was just confused as to why that would be possible.

....and here's the baby picture. Just had to show it!

ipzoCWqvMgRk0.jpg

I'm not sure we should be caring about what this person has to say. She's one of hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who gets listed in the credits of a Gearbox game, I imagine. Good for her, but her rant/opinion was juvenile and poorly written, so I can't see myself giving it any extra weight based on that.

To blame this game for somehow exluding women from gaming is ridiculous. There should be a place for this game amid the countless titles that get released every year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just showed the Dragon's Crown pictures to my wife (we're actually at the hospital, just had a baby) and she had no reaction. I told her the attacks critics are having on the artists and those that like the art, and she was just confused as to why that would be possible.

ipzoCWqvMgRk0.jpg
Congratulations with the baby! :)

antitrop

http://i.minus.com/ipzoCWqvMgRk0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You and your wife are very attractive, congratulations on the child!

ipzoCWqvMgRk0.jpg

Congrats on the family Adam.

>ChemicalAlia
I used to follow this person on Deviantart when I was 14 and I liked her stuff. I think we even talked. I forgot she even EXISTED and all the memories are coming back now.

It's fun/lame seeing people you used to appreciate get their brains turned into mush by misguided social justice slacktivism culture.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
damn son what are you bothering her with this bullshit for when she just had a baby

Top Bottom