• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linda Hamilton returns to "Terminator".

May want to rethink the latter:

Cvai2eGXEAAcixm.jpg

Is he wearing his shirt inside out?

norinrad

So Cameron's wife won't be receiving any royalties then? I thought that was one of the reasons he wasn't going to make any more T movies?

I was into it until I saw Goyer's name attached, but Friedman gives me hope.

I don't know how much input Goyer will have and to be honest, I don't know how much Cameron will be involved. My guess would be he will write the all up story and let the director direct, as he will have his hand full elsewhere.

It might be an "all hands on deck" scenario till they agree on the vision and then reduce the voices in the room down.

I honestly have no idea what he will do.

On another topic, I think it's time to retire the Model 101 and move on to another skinjob. I know Cameron mentioned wanting to include Arnold in some sort of origin story for the model we know and love. While that's unnecessary and maybe even irresponsible as a story teller, if it happens I'll give it a chance. I'm a nerd and sometimes I'm a sucker for unnecessary elaboration.

I'd love to see someone else step into the shoes of the standard killing machine, though. Dwayne Johnson has put forth a pretty solid resume with the recent Furious movies in which he's basically playing a character inspired by and meant for Arnold if these movies had been released 20 years earlier. I'm not even joking, I think he'd be perfect in ways that go beyond the obvious and superficial. I believe he could do something almost as memorable as Arnold with the right script, he'd be more than just the idea of a buff guy acting stiff like a lot of fan castings like to chase. The role needs more than muscle. That's not even the most important aspect of casting a Terminator if you really understand what made T1/2 work.

That's if they're looking to replicate the impression Arnold established with the series for the character. It would be interesting if they went a different direction, the original idea for T1, and chose someone smaller and unsettling in different ways. Lance Henriksen, for as small as his part was in T1, was almost the Terminator himself before they changed course. If they want to let go of some of the action and get back to what made Terminator great in the first place (the horror aspect), that might be the direction to go.

I refuse to be excited for this movie in advance. Terminator has done me wrong too many times.

There's more bad Terminator than there is good Terminator and this fact makes me sad.

I refuse to be excited for this movie in advance. Terminator has done me wrong too many times.

But Terminator hasn't had James Cameron involved since 1991.

On another topic, I think it's time to retire the Model 101 and move on to another skinjob. I know Cameron mentioned wanting to include Arnold in some sort of origin story for the model we know and love. While that's unnecessary and maybe even irresponsible as a story teller, if it happens I'll give it a chance. I'm a nerd and sometimes I'm a sucker for unnecessary elaboration.

I'd love to see someone else step into the shoes of the standard killing machine, though. Dwayne Johnson has put forth a pretty solid resume with the recent Furious movies in which he's basically playing a character inspired by and meant for Arnold if these movies had been released 20 years earlier. I'm not even joking, I think he'd be perfect in ways that go beyond the obvious and superficial.

That's if they're looking to replicate the impression Arnold established with the series for the character. It would be interesting if they went a different direction, the original idea for T1, and chose someone smaller and unsettling in different ways. Lance Henriksen, for as small as his part was in T1, was almost the Terminator himself before they changed course. If they want to let go of some of the action and get back to what made Terminator great in the first place (the horror aspect), that might be the direction to go.

My vote is for Scott Adkins!

Mikey Jr.

Yes, the rights are set to revert back to Cameron so he has control of the franchise again.

Thats awesome.

Figure he's busy with Avatar though.

Regardless, I hope it goes back to the grittiness that made T2 so great.

T3 was a fucking clown show. Salvation was ok I guess.

I legit have never seen the new one. I don't even remember the fucking name. Christ.

At this point, I rather have a hard reboot. No Arnold. No Linda. New cast/crew. New timeline. Fresh start.

They're kind of doing that.

Story details are, of course, being kept on a secure hard drive at Cyberdyne Systems, but Cameron and Miller are treating the new movie as a direct sequel to Cameron's Judgment Day. And the themes of the potential evils of technology will once again be at the fore.

But the new movie will also be seen as a passing of the baton to a new generation of characters.

"We're starting a search for an 18-something woman to be the new centerpiece of the new story," Cameron said. "We still fold time. We will have characters from the future and the present. There will be mostly new characters, but we'll have Arnold and Linda's characters to anchor it."

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
How is he fat in an apocalyptic future? Food is scarce. They had kids fishing for rats, man.

It would be as out of place as a muscular man ala the T-800. (That always bothered me, even as a kid)

All rats go to the leaders first.

Also I think your ideas on how fitness works is a little skewed.

Sounds good but I kinda feel like Terminator needs a full-on reboot at this point. Is Schwarzenegger gonna come back too? Because he really shouldn't.

All rats go to the leaders first.

Also I think your ideas on how fitness works is a little skewed.

Not really.

Frank Columbu and Arnold's physiques would have been extremely uncommon to find in a future where most people were starving and scavenging for food. A big part of the reason they looked like they did was because of regimented nutrition during their real life body building.

A person that looked like them would be a dead giveaway, regardless of the skin no longer being rubber ala the T-600s.

What if the WETA Avatar tech is so good by then that, Arnold voices a completely CG T-800?!

😮😮😮

If Weta were involved and Miller was smart with how he shot it it could work. 0% chance Arnold would go for that though. "We're gonna have Linda Hamilton be a badass while you do voice work." He's saying no to that 100 times out of 100.

Well if there was ever a hope for new classic Terminator, this is it. I love the original Terminators and I love Blade so I'm down. I'll take another guilty pleasure. Why not?

FyreWulff

So Cameron's wife won't be receiving any royalties then? I thought that was one of the reasons he wasn't going to make any more T movies?

Linda Hamilton got the rights when she divorced Cameron and immediately sold them. Cameron gets them back due to a law that gives rights back to the original creator after X years.

I don't think she ever actually got royalties outside of the usual for copies/revenue off the films since they used her face and voice in them.

Top Bottom