• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

skynidas

Banned
i really really doubt this is true. Battlefield 5 is too big for EA to let them go back to WW1 where a bunch of kids will be whining that the weapons are boring.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm suspicious that this games takes place across a bunch of time periods given the rumors about it over time.

They've gotten at that with DLC, but I'm thinking they will just do it with the base product this time.

Keasar

As interesting as WW1 would be, I don't think WW1 would make for a very exciting shooter.

indian-infantry-digging-trenches-prepared-against-gas-attack.jpg

Guns had barely developed to anything beyond bolt action rifles so there isn't gonna be much variety there. Its probably gonna be 20 minutes of sitting in a trench (or since so many servers like to fucking crank up their ticket totals in Conquest to 1500 or something, a bloody hour). Tanks moved almost slower than walking so its mostly gonna be them pummelling each other with shells until one falls. The only thing I can see improved is the air combat cause its been kinda boring since jets in BF2 and it devolved into just circling around until some arse on the ground finally took out a stinger and shot one down, followed by the now lone air plane doing nothing constructive for its team with its lone gun being too weak to take out any targets on the ground and it moving way too fast to aim at something, most commonly it also doesn't have ATG weaponry cause AA missiles take up that slot.

World War 1 was one of those messy time periods that Europe mostly tries to forget, along with World War 2 by extent. It was completely stupid and pointless with no real purpose other that a fucked up system of alliances being pulled in by chain reaction because one bloke got shot and that country decided to go to war, pulling in their ally who pulled in their ally who pulled in their ally who pulled in their ally and then everyone was fighting and nobody was really sure why.

Personally, I just want 2143 and my Titans and giant Walker tanks back. Screw the noise of people being tired of the "future", Battlefield was there first among the big shooters and has been in every other time period since. Edit: Also, I wanna add, all the other "future" games have taken place at top 50 years into the future (Black Ops 3 is in 2065, Advanced Warfare 2054), I will happily take one taking place over a hundred years into the future.

PaulBizkit

A tactical shooter in WW1... so valkyria chronicles!

@Weeb mode off

I hope it follows the most important parts of the war in the position of the side that won said part. So you end up playing the whole war.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Bad company 2 had WW2 flashbacks... maybe this game has flashbacks and this retailer jumped the gun to the classification.

Yoday

I'm suspicious that this games takes place across a bunch of time periods given the rumors about it over time.

They've gotten at that with DLC, but I'm thinking they will just do it with the base product this time.
I was thinking the same thing, but the amount of assets needed would be insane. Starting in WWI and focusing on WWII seems more feasible.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

not sure how that would work with gun unlocks and upgrades if they released a battlefield without that dice would be set on fire look how people went insane when they took modification out of battlefront and that was starwars imagine if they took that out of a mainline battlefield

edit: unless you are implying i would be able to take out a biplane with a stinger missle then im down for that

Nesther

WoG usually jumps on to every bogus rumor (like the recent RDR2 one), but there aren't any rumors regarding a WW1 BF5 they could base this listing off, so they might actually know something this time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was thinking the same thing, but the amount of assets needed would be insane. Starting in WWI and focusing on WWII seems more feasible.
They already have high end modern day assets though, and they started making light sci-fi ones with the DLC.

They already have high end modern day assets though, and they started making light sci-fi ones with the DLC.
They might want to redo their assets now that they've mastered photogrammery. It made Battlefront the best looking game of all time, I'd honestly rather they not reuse assets they've been using since 2008. Only so many times I can destroy the same office building before it pulls me out of the game

kyser73

So the campaign story would've:

Enthusiastically sign up with your mates in patriotic fervour, fighting for King & Country/Kaiser against the ghastly Germans/Tommies!

Get to France, dig a trench.

Get rained on and get trench foot.

Start going quietly mad at the constant pounding of the artillery.

Write some poetry.

Get sent over the top. Run ~200m then get mown down in a hail of bullets.

Kinyou

Would be nuts if true. Ww1 is a seriously underused setting, though it obviously also comes with some difficulties. Very interested in how they would tackle those.

Setsuna

Cod Blops 2
Cod Advanced Warfare
Cod Blops 3
Destiny
Titanfall

Probably forgetting some recent "futuristic" shootbangs.

And seriously doubt it's WW1, the weapon variety alone would make it seriously lacking. WW2 might be fun again. As would a Vietnam -era one.

The fact tnat you went back to 2012, as well as listed 3 games from the same series, Tells me that there arent many futuristic shooters

The1Ski

World War I sounds like an awful setting for for a shooter. If they're going for authenticity, I can't imagine it being very fun.

Sure there's tanks. But I'm pretty sure none of them had traversing turrets. Sure there's planes but come on... And get ready that mustard gas! And the trenches!

To the people that like the idea: What do you like about a potential WWI setting? How do you think it would work?

Battlefield 4 Moments: "I took the quadbike up to the top of the building using the elevator and then all of a
sudden, the skyscraper fell down and I drove off the roof, it was bad ass!"

Battlefield 5 Moments: "All I heard was screaming. My buddy had trench foot and the rats were gnawing at the infected flesh, so we had to chop it off. We didn't have any bandages left so he just bled out, crying, as mustard gas rolled in, choking him to sleep before his final moments.

I haven't slept in months... all I hear are screams in the night."

Red Hood

Banned
That would be awesome, but I doubt it.

Unless it's the WW1 from an alternate reality or whatever, with high-tech weapons and everything.... Yeah, no, lol.

While I'd love a deep, thoughtful and emotionally resonant WW1 game, a typical Battlefield title would not be it.

That is one conflict that should never, under any circumstances, be glorified or dumbed down into chest thumping jingoism.

terrible

Banned
WWI is a pretty bad idea for a shooter in general but even worse of an idea for a Battlefield game. Horses instead of jeeps? Tanks were barely used as well and the airplanes weren't the most agile things ever. I can't wait for trench map #12 lol. This has to be an error.

WW1Tank.jpg

WW1? We just had a thread about it in the OT. A couple of days ago was 100th anniversary of Verdun. Fucking insanity.

How would a WW1 shooter have the Battlefield momentum and pacing? The slow firing weaponry, would change everything. Would melee be a stronger focus? If you missed your shot it takes forever to reload.
WWI not 1776. Rifles weren't that slow.

marrec

Banned
World War I sounds like an awful setting for for a shooter. If they're going for authenticity, I can't imagine it being very fun.

Sure there's tanks. But I'm pretty sure none of them had traversing turrets. Sure there's planes but come on... And get ready that mustard gas! And the trenches!

To the people that like the idea: What do you like about a potential WWI setting? How do you think it would work?

There was more to WWI than just trenches, the combat strategy evolved by the last year of the war and the Trenches of the Western Front were all but gone. Even during the bulk of the Trench Warfare there were battles like Verdun and the Somme which would be interesting to see from a modern FPS. You'd also have the Eastern Front which was never really about trenches, and the African/Ottoman campaigns. The race to the sea after the Battle of the Marne.

There are many interesting settings you can get from WWI other than boring old trenches.

By the end of the last German offensives the Allies were fielding 500+ tanks per battle, and not the slow ponderous ones made to simply get over trenches.

Edit:

You could also have the Battle of Jutland, the first and really only time Battleships faced off en masse.

Battlefield 4 Moments: "I took the quadbike up to the top of the building using the elevator and then all of a
sudden, the skyscraper fell down and I drove off the roof, it was bad ass!"

Battlefield 5 Moments: "All I heard was screaming. My buddy had trench foot and the rats were gnawing at the infected flesh, so we had to chop it off. We didn't have any bandages left so he just bled out, crying, as mustard gas rolled in, choking him to sleep before his final moments.

I haven't slept in months... all I hear are screams in the night."

"Immersive online multiplayer! Suffer and experience the true horrors of warfare with your friends!"

The whole idea of Battlefield is to give players a raging ego boner by doing incredible and ludicrous feats, while being in total control.

WWI is the absolute antithesis to that. In fact the crippling helplessnes and disempowerement of individual and collectives of soldiers that characterized the combat in that war, directly influenced tactics and warfare for all future wars.

I don't see how they could make this scenario any fun while not completely ignoring the nature of this war.

Lakitu

st5fu
Oh god, no thanks. If they had to go back to that era then make it World War 2. Really hope this is false. I'd even take another modern setting over that. If it's true, guess I'll just stick with BF 4.

WWI is an incredibly viable setting for a game if you have some imagination and historical knowledge. First of all, the image that exists in the public mind of WWI is a purely Western Front phenomenon. Even so, towards the end of the war Germany was use modern squad based tactics to attack enemy trenches. The Eastern Front was very mobile and there's also a part of it going on in the Middle East, a guerilla war about raiding towns and supply lines where you could get a lot of urban warfare. Second, they aren't going to make a game where you just sit in a trench all day until the whistle goes off. That would be like making Battlefield 4 mostly sitting at base waiting for orders to come through. Verdun on Steam showed that you can do trench warfare correctly and surprise! It's basically Rush. Perfect for Battlefield. For vehicles I see horses, tanks, artillery, and biplanes. Weapons could be an issue because it's all centered around the bolt-action rifle BUT there were also submachine guns (like the MP 18), shotguns, and machine guns. I imagine a class or combination of classes would be able to set up a machine gun nest. One guy brings the machine guns, others have defenses, that kind of thing.

All I am saying is that the war was pretty modern at times and has the necessary elements for a great game. Just gotta believe.

Sounds great. Can't wait to send a homing pigeon back to base for supplies/support (or perhaps spotting a pigeon and gunning it down).

if its true WW1 combat it will be the most boring FPS in the history of FPS, ok now line up first guy out of trench gets shot, ok next guy go.... gets shot..... next...... oh wait put on you're gass mask.... 'whole team is dead'

640_brodie-trenches.jpg

but that sounds like shooters are played today

hopefully some kind of spin off or dlc if not it will be the first BF ill skip

I don't think it's even necessarily time travel, but more like Battlefront where there are various maps tied to real or imaginary battles and eras.

Uhm uh, what? Battlefront (3) has the same weapons, equipment and vehicles on all maps. Multiplayer in BF5 would be the same thing. No one balances practically several different games (WW1 couldnt play the same as WW2 or modern) for one multiplayer game.

And even though the singleplayer of Bad Company 2 and CoD: BO1, 2 and 3 had several timelines, this concept was never taken up in multiplayer. And those games had one or maximum two levels in the second timezone, and only BO 1 and 2 did it right. In Bad Company 2 and BO3 you could see that many assets were missing and the experience was not feeling all too good. For example, in BO3 many nazies are shooting with 2065 guns and not the 1944 guns and that feels completely off, even in the dream sequence.

It would be insane if they did MULTIPLE timelines ONLY for singleplayer in a MP-FOCUSED game. Neither sensible nor efficient.

Top Bottom