• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home Brewing |OT| - The tastiest thing that will ever come from your bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ttoKy.jpg

As a corollary to the regular Beer thread, this is a thread about my favorite hobby - brewing your own beer. While we had a home brewing thread a few years ago, it never really went anywhere; however, interest home brewing is at an all time high, particularly given the craft beer explosion and President Obama's announcement that he and his staff are homebrewing in the White House. Home brewing is a time honored tradition which results in both tasty beer and the accumulation of vast amounts of alcohol in your house.

Beer is an alcoholic beverage derived from the sugars converted from starchy malted grains, typically barley (although beer can be made from other grains such as wheat or African Sorghum). Enzymes in the malted grain convert the starch into sugar, which is then heated to a boil and bittered/flavored with hops (which are flower clusters of the humulus lupus plant). After the resulting “wort” (the brewer’s term for unfermented malty sugar water that will become beer) is cooled, yeast is “pitched” (added) to the wort, which over the course of a few days, converts the sugars in solution into alcohol.

With the rise of the craft beer industry, brewing your own beer has never been more popular (with the possible exception of the Prohibition Era in which hopped malt extracts were sometimes sold in stores). You too, can take part in this hobby.

Legality

Home brewing is legal in virtually every state. As far as I am aware, it is only illegal in two states, Alabama and Mississippi. However, my understanding is that such laws are rarely enforced and at least in Alabama, there is a push to make home brewing explicitly legal (particularly in the wake of President Obama's well publicized brewing in the White House.)

Cost

Startup costs: It can be as cheap as $50 bucks and as expensive as $400 or more. Most starter kits you will find around the internet are very good and include most of the stuff you will need to get started home brewing. At the very least you will need: a fermenter (a plastic bucket or a glass/plastic carboy), a racking cane/siphon (to move the beer), and a bottling bucket. Other helpful tools include a hydrometer to measure the dissolved sugar in your wort/beer (which helps you figure out how much booze is in it).

Northern Brewer Basic Starter’s Kit ($80):

oDKXj.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...arter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html - This kit has all the stuff you need to get started for around $80 including your choice of one of three extract kits. It does NOT however, include a hydrometer for measuring alcohol.

Northern Brewer’s Deluxe Starter Kit ($150):

X5OIN.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...-starter-kits/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit.html - Unlike the first kit, this comes with carboys in either glass or plastic. Glass carboys are very heavy and possibly dangerous if they break, but look cool and have no chance of oxygen getting in. Plastic don’t have the danger of glass, but are also prone to scratches (which can harbor bacteria). Carboys in general also have the risk of being unwieldy and difficult to get inside for cleaning. Many high level brewers simply stick with food grade buckets forever. The other difference is that this kit comes with a “secondary” fermenter which is a hotly disputed topic in the home brewing world right now. Many brewers have found that moving your beer from one vessel to another to age-condition is a waste of time and that it can be done just fine in the original tank. The idea behind secondary fermenters is that the yeast might autolyse (chemically explode), so you don’t want it to sit on the yeast cake. Most homebrewers (including me) think this is a waste of effort and that the danger of autolysis is quite minimal with healthy yeast.

Virtually every starter kit you can buy follows the same format with a basic kit and then progressively more expensive kits.

MoreBeer’s Starter Kits: http://morebeer.com/search/102142///Personal_Home_Brewery_Equipment_Kits

Austin Homebrewing Basic Starter kits. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12735

None of these come with a boiling kettle which you will also need. You typically want a 5 gallon steel or aluminum pot for boiling hot wort.

Cost of Ingredients: This depends on whether you brew your beer from malt extract or start with malted grains. While brewing from grain is cheaper, it takes substantially more time than extract brewing and has a much greater start up cost due to the greater expertise/equipment involved. A typical extract kit runs from around $30-45, although there is nothing preventing you from designing your own recipe, even with extracts. Certain hop varietals can be either very expensive or difficult to source due to high demand from craft breweries.

One question which I and other home brewers will get pretty much every time is whether home brew is cheaper than buying cases of beer at the store. It will rarely be cheaper than 30 packs of Natural Light. Sorry. However, it can and often is cheaper than an equivalent amount of craft beer. Ultimately, this price depends on the equipment you have and the recipe you are making. The typical home brew batch is 5 gallons of beer, approximately 2 cases and a few extra bottles. As stated above, brewing from grains is cheaper (about half as much) than brewing from malt extracts.

Safety

Home brewed beer is actually very safe (although this doesn’t guarantee all of it is good). In fact, beer was often brewed and consumed historically in the place of non-potable water since the pH levels and alcohol levels are not conducive to dangerous bugs growing in them. However, this is not to say that unpleasant things cannot grow in beer; gross stuff grows all the time. Beer can be "infected" by either either wild yeasts (such as Brettanomyces bruxellensis) or other bugs such as lactobacillis or pediococcus. These generally will result in beer that either has a distinct "funk" or a distinct sour. However, these are almost always still safely drinkable (and indeed, some beer like Belgian Lambic are purposefully designed with these yeasts and bugs to be sour). I personally would not drink a beer with a mold culture on it however, but some people have been known to simply siphon the beer underneath the mold growing on top. Since most home brewers are not looking for “horse blanket,” “barnyard” or sour flavors, sanitation is the single most important thing in home brewing. Nothing sucks more than an awesome batch of double IPA ruined by a huge lacto culture growing on top of it. We typically sanitize by making solutions of either Iodophor or sudsy Star-San from a concentrate and water. Bugs are killed by the low pH of such solutions, but they leave little to no flavors in the finished beer and do not need to be rinsed off.

Process

A brew day can take as little as three hours and as much as six hours, depending on your process. Brewing from grains, I start with an amount of hot water at a specific temperature and pour the crushed, malted grains in and let them stew for about an hour. After this time, the enzymes left in the grain convert the starches into sugar through the saccarification process. I then drain the sugary water out and “rinse” the grains of any remaining sugar. At this point, we have several gallons of sweet wort and the process is roughly identical with malt extracts.

I then bring the wort to a boil and add hops on a particular schedule depending on the recipe. The longer hops are boiled with the sweet wort the more bitterness is extracted from them. 60-90 minutes will typically extract all of the bitter acids and leave little to no hop flavor. Additions that only are boiled for 20 minutes to the very last minute of the boil add varying amounts of hop aroma and flavor, but less bitterness since less of the bitter acids are isomerized by the heat.

I then cool the wort down to my fermentation temperature (using copper coils with garden water run through it, although new brewers use ice baths), which is typically for an ale around 67 degrees fahrenheit. A lager will ferment around 50 degrees fahrenheit. Typically, fermentation is over in around a week, but it might take longer to clean up any weird flavors produced from fermentation. I personally keg, but most people bottle their beer in cleaned and sanitized old bottles of commercial beer and “prime” them with a small amount of sugar to naturally carbonate them in the bottle.

Where to Buy Stuff

Unless you live in a large town or just are lucky with local home brew shops, you will probably end up buying your ingredients and equipment by internet order. I personally have found all of the following sites of equal quality; I typically order without fear from any of them but tend to order from MoreBeer since they ship very close to where I live and I get my orders much faster.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/ (Texas)

http://www.northernbrewer.com/ (Minnesota)

http://www.morebeer.com (Southern California)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ (Minnesota)

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/ (Northern California)

http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/ (Wisconsin/Chicago)

Good reading materials

The classic text for basic homebrewing is Charlie Papazian’s The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. It’s on its third edition and is noted for Papazian’s easy-going hippy relax don’t-worry-relax-have-a-homebrew (“RDWHAHB”) attitude. I personally think its pretty dated by this point, although it was an essential text many years ago.

I personally prefer John Palmer’s How to Brew, although Palmer has a sciencey background and is much less hand-holdy than Papazian is. The first edition of How to Brew is available for FREE, which is makes it all the more attractive. http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

thcsquad

I brewed my first beer, a Chocolate Raspberry Porter, in August to give as gifts at my wedding last weekend. Turned out well, not so sweet so as to make it too much of a dessert beer but the flavors were still present.

I'm going to start my second beer this weekend. Not sure what I'll make but I've been leaning towards an English Bitter.

I'm lucky to live within walking distance of the Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge MA, so I can peruse and smell ingredients before purchasing them. I plan to never resort to a kit, because making a recipe is a lot of fun when the ingredients are right there in front of you.

I don't really care for beer but I've done wine. I'm about to start a 5 gallon batch of black currant wine. I live near Midwest Supplies so I go there to get all my homebrew equipment. It's one of the few stores I actually enjoy shopping at because there's always an abundance of stuff I want to buy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't really care for beer but I've done wine. I'm about to start a 5 gallon batch of black currant wine. I live near Midwest Supplies so I go there to get all my homebrew equipment. It's one of the few stores I actually enjoy shopping at because there's always an abundance of stuff I want to buy.

A really popular option right now is doing Mead, which is fermented honey. Meads are interesting but they take almost a year to mature into something that actually tastes good.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I didn't see the first part of the title and ignorantly assumed this was a thread (with a sarcastic title) about bathtub drain clogs, most always caused by hair.

clog_club_02.jpg

Myzer

I've been homebrewing for about 18-months.

Bottled and ready to drink at the moment are a Black IPA and a Scotch Ale, and brewing away at the moment is a Smoked Farmhouse Ale which is an experiment using a high percentage of Peated malts, farmhouse/saison yeast and noble hops.

I mostly do steeps and/or partial-mashes with extracts.

Lenz44

Banned
Thanks for the info, I've been thinking about starting to brew my own beer. Any beers in particular that you like to brew or your favorites?

Angry Grimace

Thanks for the info, I've been thinking about starting to brew my own beer. Any beers in particular that you like to brew or your favorites?

Most home brewers in the US tend to prefer ales because ales are far easier to make than lagers - you have to have some kind of active temperature control or a place in your house that is a steady 50 degrees to ferment lagers.

I like to make virtually every style. Right now I've got a Double IPA and a Brown Ale on my kegs that I made.

Angry Grimace

I've been homebrewing for about 18-months.

Bottled and ready to drink at the moment are a Black IPA and a Scotch Ale, and brewing away at the moment is a Smoked Farmhouse Ale which is an experiment using a high percentage of Peated malts, farmhouse/saison yeast and noble hops.

I mostly do steeps and/or partial-mashes with extracts.

Gordon Strong has an angry screed against peat malts in beer saying that they make beers taste like "an open grave."
KuGsj.gif
That might be interesting in a saison though.

fat pat

subscribed!

Ive currently got an all-grain Founders KBS style thats sitting in a carboy aging until december or so a extract all-chinook hop APA that is gonna be bottled in the next week or so.

Kegging is going to be my next step and have been looking at kegerators and builds online very intently.

Angry Grimace

subscribed!

Ive currently got an all-grain Founders KBS style thats sitting in a carboy aging until december or so a extract all-chinook hop APA that is gonna be bottled in the next week or so.

Kegging is going to be my next step and have been looking at kegerators and builds online very intently.

Kegging is the best investment I ever made into home brewing, but it is pricey as hell. Even used cornies themselves are becoming difficult to find at reasonable prices. I'm just using a chest freezer with a temp. controller and some picnic taps. I'd like to upgrade to a collar and tap handles, but that seems a bit daunting.

Myzer

Gordon Strong has an angry screed against peat malts in beer saying that they make beers taste like "an open grave."
KuGsj.gif
That might be interesting in a saison though.

And that is with the smaller amount of peat malt that beers with peated/smoked malts tend to have (5-10%).

I tried a craft beer that was 100% smoked/peated malts, and decided to have a go with a 50% peated malt version, then saison yeast is just my twist. :)

Angry Grimace

And that is with the smaller amount of peat malt that beers with peated/smoked malts tend to have (5-10%).

I tried a craft beer that was 100% smoked/peated malts, and decided to have a go with a 50% peated malt version, then saison yeast is just my twist. :)

I've had a few Rauchbiers that were mostly beechwood smoked malts, but never much peat malt. I think I had a go on a Scotch ale that had peat malt in it and I thought it was rather odd.

Angry Grimace

I actually forgot to post up the best book ever, particularly for new brewers looking to start making non-kit beers, which is Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff. Jamil gives a lot of really good recipes, but of course you don't have to follow them to a tee. What he does that I really like though, is gives a paragraph or two on every substyle in the Beer Judge Certification Program and what is desirable/not desirable in those beers and how, generally to accomplish them. The recipes themselves are excellent as well and are all competition class winners.

Angry Grimace

The SA thread wasn't enough for you, eh, Angry Grimace?
A couple people were interested a few pages back on the regular old Beer thread. This is obviously a less focused forum than that one.

And yes, I knew you were around here, I think I saw you in some other thread...talking about SA so I knew it was the same guy.
3AQmK.gif

Ha, yeah that's entirely likely. But, yeah I definitely think the thread is a good addition, there was too much homebrew talk in the beer thread.

How fucking awful is that Midorka guy?

For actual content, I recently submitted 3 of my beers to my first homebrew competition since I started brewing 4 or so years ago, and didn't win a single thing! I'm confident they were good beers, but I submitted them to the three most crowded categories with a total of 500 something entries, so I'm not too surprised. Hopefully the feedback is helpful.

Angry Grimace

Ha, yeah that's entirely likely. But, yeah I definitely think the thread is a good addition, there was too much homebrew talk in the beer thread.

How fucking awful is that Midorka guy?

For actual content, I recently submitted 3 of my beers to my first homebrew competition since I started brewing 4 or so years ago, and didn't win a single thing! I'm confident they were good beers, but I submitted them to the three most crowded categories with a total of 500 something entries, so I'm not too surprised. Hopefully the feedback is helpful.
I started laughing at my desk at the Midorka comment.

Every big brewer who I've read or listened to (i.e. Gordon Strong, Jamil Zainasheff, etc.) all claim they only enter competitions to get feedback, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion this is just how they temper their hopes. I'm interested in competition brewing but honestly, I haven't brewed the same style more than twice in the year or so since I started brewing. I think I'm producing good, well fermented beer at reasonable efficiency right now, but at this point recipe formulation is just guesswork.

I racked a Pliny the Elder clone into a keg on Monday and drew a few pints of it recently - I've never made a beer that cloudy in my entire life, and I whirlfloc'd and fined it down with gelatin. I'm sure time would clear it, but its an IPA - time is usually not what you're looking for.

Clydefrog

woohoo a homebrew thread :)

I used to do it. Never got into all-grain though.

I lost a lot of my brewing equipment along the line so now I just help my friends whenever they do it. Would love to get back into brewing though.

Angry Grimace

woohoo a homebrew thread :)

I used to do it. Never got into all-grain though.

I lost a lot of my brewing equipment along the line so now I just help my friends whenever they do it. Would love to get back into brewing though.

Extract brewing has gotten much better over the last few years due to the simple fact that home brewing is getting more and more popular, so the extracts are usually very fresh when you order them from popular places like Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, etc. There's more variety too - NB just started offering a liquid Maris Otter extract (which you previously could get, but was often hard to find and not necessarily fresh)

fenners

I've been brewin' for about 20 months & love it. Waistline doesn't ;)

Adapted my old unused fridge into a two tap kegerator. Built a fermentation chamber out of an old minifridge + a cardboard box, and it works well with the Texas heat.

My current brew routine is doing 'brew in a bag'. Essentially all-grain using a giant teabag for the grain instead of the normal method. Works really well if you don't want to go the three vessel route & still get good efficiency. And if you're already doing a minimash, it's not a big step up...

Got a Stone IPA inspired brew sitting in primary right now that needs to get transferred, dryhopped & bottled ahead of BGG.Con next month.

I'm fortunate to have Austin Homebrew Supply a few minutes' drive from my work, which is great & dangerous at the same time :)

I've been brewing for about 14 months now with two of my close friends. My parents and other friends have helped in the past, but it's primarily the three of us. We started out using a mixture of grain and extract, but went to all-grain back in June.

The last batch my buddies and I did was a fresh hop English IPA using 40 pounds of Goldings from my parents' garden. Should be ready in a couple weeks.

We've got some great home brew supply stores in Seattle:

North Seattle (University District): Bob's Homebrew
South Seattle (Georgetown): Sound Homebrew

Also, National Homebrew Day is November 3rd. We're inviting people who are interested in learning how to homebrew but have never done it before to come over and make an all-grain porter with us.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Hello brothers!

Right now I've got an Altbier that turned out pretty great.

AkS7u.jpg

This weekend a buddy and I will be bottling a dubbel as well.

Finally having a thread feels good man.

Angry Grimace

While we're at mentioning brewing classes, If you are a GAFfer in the San Diego area and you want to learn to brew in a practical way, I recommend taking Yuseff Cherney's brewing classes at UCSD (its part of their crafts center and you don't need to be student). Cherney is the head brewer at Ballast Point Brewing in San Diego (no, he didn't invent the recipe for Sculpin, he gets asked a lot) and has been teaching these classes for a while.

There's a beginner class (which just covers extract, but he also doe an all-grain session to demonstrate where wort comes from) that is the basics of extract brewing from beginning to bottling. The advanced class covers all-grain brewing and recipe formulation and also has a second session at Ballast Point itself which a tour of all their facilities and how they make beer at the brewery. He only does the classes two or three times a year though. You kind of have to look for it on the UCSD craft site.

I've been brewing for about 14 months now with two of my close friends. My parents and other friends have helped in the past, but it's primarily the three of us. We started out using a mixture of grain and extract, but went to all-grain back in June.

The last batch my buddies and I did was a fresh hop English IPA using 40 pounds of Goldings from my parents' garden. Should be ready in a couple weeks.

We've got some great home brew supply stores in Seattle:

North Seattle (University District): Bob's Homebrew
South Seattle (Georgetown): Sound Homebrew

Also, National Homebrew Day is November 3rd. We're inviting people who are interested in learning how to homebrew but have never done it before to come over and make an all-grain porter with us.
Do you really get 40 pounds of yield out of first year plants? Or did they just have those hops growing there ahead of time. I always heard the first year hop yields were fairly low.

Do you really get 40 pounds of yield out of first year plants? Or did they just have those hops growing there ahead of time. I always heard the first year hop yields were fairly low.

These were first year plants and for some reason they went absolutely nuts. They also planted some Cascades which only yielded around 6 ounces that we vacuum sealed and threw in the freezer.

I built a pergola on my back patio back in August, I'm planning on growing some Citra and I'll take a starter from my parents' Goldings.

I started laughing at my desk at the Midorka comment.

Every big brewer who I've read or listened to (i.e. Gordon Strong, Jamil Zainasheff, etc.) all claim they only enter competitions to get feedback, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion this is just how they temper their hopes. I'm interested in competition brewing but honestly, I haven't brewed the same style more than twice in the year or so since I started brewing. I think I'm producing good, well fermented beer at reasonable efficiency right now, but at this point recipe formulation is just guesswork.

I racked a Pliny the Elder clone into a keg on Monday and drew a few pints of it recently - I've never made a beer that cloudy in my entire life, and I whirlfloc'd and fined it down with gelatin. I'm sure time would clear it, but its an IPA - time is usually not what you're looking for.

I rarely make the same beer more than once as well, but this competition was local so I just submitted 3 beers I had on hand.

I also told people I didn't expect to win any medals, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't get disappointed when you don't see your name on the list of winners.

For the fellow all grain guys here, what kind of sparge is everyone using?

I'm strictly batch sparge because the efficiency gain I'd get doing fly sparging isn't worth the effort to me.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm strictly batch sparge because the efficiency gain I'd get doing fly sparging isn't worth the effort to me.

Same here, batch is the only method I've tried so far and I typically get pretty good efficiency. With nothing else to compare to I've been wondering if it could be improved though. Based on recommendations from HomebrewTalk I also double sparge, so I'm planning on just doing a single on my next batch.

Angry Grimace

These were first year plants and for some reason they went absolutely nuts. They also planted some Cascades which only yielded around 6 ounces that we vacuum sealed and threw in the freezer.

I built a pergola on my back patio back in August, I'm planning on growing some Citra and I'll take a starter from my parents' Goldings.

You must have an inside source to find Citra rhizomes =O

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
We just switched over to all grain. The last extract we brewed was the White House Honey Ale, and the first all grain we did is an ESB. I just moved in with the guy I brew with and our place is two blocks from a homebrew supply store. We've been brewing a ton lately and it is awesome.

Angry Grimace

Sound Homebrew had plenty of them this year.

Hop varietals typically have a 20 year patent...I remember like just this last year some hop farm sold Summit Rhizomes and HopUnion called people up who bought them and demanded that they destroy the plants and send them evidence of destruction.

Same here, batch is the only method I've tried so far and I typically get pretty good efficiency. With nothing else to compare to I've been wondering if it could be improved though. Based on recommendations from HomebrewTalk I also double sparge, so I'm planning on just doing a single on my next batch.

I batch sparge as well and I typically just add like 5% base malt to cover for efficiency losses, but I only seem to get efficiency losses on high gravity beers.

operon

Done two kits so far. Hope to go all grain next year and get my two corny kegs into service. Thread subscribed

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
On Tap:

citra ipa
raisin oatmeal stout with vodka, cinnamon, vanilla bean
Belgian Tripel

Fermenting
Fall Spiced Brown
Quad
French Saison

On Deck
15% Barley Wine
23% Black IPA

Fell free to ask me any questions. I usually brew 15GAL at a time.

Angry Grimace

On Tap:

citra ipa
raisin oatmeal stout with vodka, cinnamon, vanilla bean
Belgian Tripel

Fermenting
Fall Spiced Brown
Quad
French Saison

On Deck
15% Barley Wine
23% Black IPA

Fell free to ask me any questions. I usually brew 15GAL at a time.
Do you just give away most of those batches? Or do you just keep multiple kegs?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I have 12 pin lock soda kegs(for my kegerator) and a few 15GAL kegs when we do charity events and such at bars. Usually take a jocky box and 3-4 kegs to friends parties to "get rid" of some of it.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
My first tips would be:

Do not be afraid of all grain. It is a lot easier than you think. Watch a few videos and get a 10-20gal cooler kit. You save soooooo much money on the grain vs. extract.

I would try to stay away from kits. I never bought a kit personally. Find a clone recipe for a beer that you really like and follow the recipe. Follow step for step and I bet you will be close.

Get on a local buyers group for grain. 2 Row for $35 dollars a 50# compared to $50-60. Now compare that to $13-15 dollars for a 3# bag of dry extract.

Learn how to harvest your yeast. Huge saver compared to buying 6-7 dollar bottles of liquid yeast every 5 Gallon.

Angry Grimace

I have 12 pin lock soda kegs(for my kegerator) and a few 15GAL kegs when we do charity events and such at bars. Usually take a jocky box and 3-4 kegs to friends parties to "get rid" of some of it.

With 15 gallon batches I would have thought you used regular 1/2 barrel Sankes.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
With 15 gallon batches I would have thought you used regular 1/2 barrel Sankes.

The 15 Gallon Kegs are 1/2 barrels. I was doing 5 and 10 Gal batches for the longest time so 5.5Gal soda kegs made a lot of sense at the time. They still are very nice for portability.

Angry Grimace

The 15 Gallon Kegs are 1/2 barrels. I was doing 5 and 10 Gal batches for the longest time so 5.5Gal soda kegs made a lot of sense at the time. They still are very nice for portability.

Are they Sankes or just really huge Cornies? (I've seen some 15 gallon cornies before, although never in person). Assuming they are Sankes, are they a lot more difficult to deal with vs. Cornies?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Are they Sankes or just really huge Cornies? (I've seen some 15 gallon cornies before, although never in person). Assuming they are Sankes, are they a lot more difficult to deal with vs. Cornies?

They are sankes. I have never seen a 15GAL corny. Harder to clean for sure.

Angry Grimace

They are sankes. I have never seen a 15GAL corny. Harder to clean for sure.

They're very rare and very expensive, but 10 and 15 gallon cornies do exist. Any size Corny that isn't 5 gallons is going to be very expensive. Cornies in general actually getting pretty pricey, the price has gone up from 25 bucks to almost 40 for an uncleaned keg that needs new seals.

Nice OP. I'll post some pics of my brew tonight. Making a non-dairy fat free hazelnut mocha Americano porter at the moment. Nothing like a good brew evening after a long day.

genjiZERO

I've homebrewed off and on for the last 6 years or so. I always have had a different approach to it though. I know a lot of people like to make the funkiest beers you can think of, but I've always used the absolute minimum ingredients. I've been able to pull off both a Duvel and Fuller's bitter clones because of it.

Angry Grimace

Nice OP. I'll post some pics of my brew tonight. Making a non-dairy fat free hazelnut mocha Americano porter at the moment. Nothing like a good brew evening after a long day.

I think the latest I've ever finished a brew day is 3 am. Yeah, they get crazy if you put them off.
KuGsj.gif

I've homebrewed off and on for the last 6 years or so. I always have had a different approach to it though. I know a lot of people like to make the funkiest beers you can think of, but I've always used the absolute minimum ingredients. I've been able to pull off both a Duvel and Fuller's bitter clones because of it.

The common wisdom is that too many grains/ingredients tends to muddy them up - I usually use no more than three hop varietals in anything I brew and usually if I'm making a recipe up, try to keep the grains as simple as possible. It's always tempting to add .1 oz of Special "B" here and there, but I try to avoid that.

Jamesways

Been brewing about a year and a half. Still just doing extract kits, going to switch to all grain soon when we get a bit more space and time.

Bottling a Two Hearted clone on Sunday, then starting a Black IPA. I live in Minneapolis, and absolutely love Northern Brewer's stuff. A few mods to the kits have yielded some pretty damn good beer.

But Bomb, thanks for the tips, time to expand and get more serious.

Thanks for setting up this thread Angry Grimace.

Angry Grimace

Been brewing about a year and a half. Still just doing extract kits, going to switch to all grain soon when we get a bit more space and time.

Bottling a Two Hearted clone on Sunday, then starting a Black IPA. I live in Minneapolis, and absolutely love Northern Brewer's stuff. A few mods to the kits have yielded some pretty damn good beer.

But Bomb, thanks for the tips, time to expand and get more serious.

Thanks for setting up this thread Angry Grimace.

Depending on how you source your parts, converting all-grain can be relatively cheap or really expensive. HomeBrewTalk has a thread where they tell you how to get all the parts to convert a cooler into a mash-tun but honestly, its a huge headache trying to find all of the parts. It's way easier to just get one of the conversion kits from NB or MB and adding it to a cooler from home depot or Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart actually has some really decent cheap 48 qt. cooler with drains already on them for conversion.

The downside of course, is that all-grain isn't just setting up the mash-tun, it also requires getting an outside burner plus a big enough pot. Those can be done cheaper by using an aluminum pot and a cheaper-brand turkey fryer. Some people are still anti-aluminum, but honestly, most of the risks of aluminum have been debunked by science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom