• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ended up beating Ristar a few hours ago.
C7ezuHb.jpg

The game is very creative for sure, it looks and sounds amazing, quite a few of the levels have very cool elements to them, and most of the boss battles are just hard and tricky enough to be both interesting and fun to beat. Still, i think the game is unfortunately not as great as its reputation. First, the level design, while mostly good, is also quite frustrating at times and i feel in some areas there is just no way to avoid damage - which always sucks. The levels also have a lot of potential with all their branching paths, but i never really felt like i got rewarded for exploring - and thus just ended up going mostly from left to right in most levels. I also never really got the controls completely, even though i was able to beat the game. And it didnt always feel completely reliable. For instance, on one level you get some anti-gravity shoes or something - which should be awesome in theory right - but i never understood completely how they work, what makes you stay in air and what makes you land etc, and thus ended up just brute forcing my way through the stage (which you often can do).

But these complains aside, the game is so colorful and creative, that it is well worth going through for all Mega Drive-fans. And im glad we picked it for our game of the month.

Ended up beating Ristar a few hours ago.

The game is very creative for sure, it looks and sounds amazing, quite a few of the levels have very cool elements to them, and most of the boss battles are just hard and tricky enough to be both interesting and fun to beat. Still, i think the game is unfortunately not as great as its reputation. First, the level design, while mostly good, is also quite frustrating at times and i feel in some areas there is just no way to avoid damage - which always sucks. The levels also have a lot of potential with all their branching paths, but i never really felt like i got rewarded for exploring - and thus just ended up going mostly from left to right in most levels. I also never really got the controls completely, even though i was able to beat the game. And it didnt always feel completely reliable. For instance, on one level you get some anti-gravity shoes or something - which should be awesome in theory right - but i never understood completely how they work, what makes you stay in air and what makes you land etc, and thus ended up just brute forcing my way through the stage (which you often can do).

But these complains aside, the game is so colorful and creative, that it is well worth going through for all Mega Drive-fans. And im glad we picked it for our game of the month.

Nice job!! I wonder if every level has access to a bonus stage... I only stumbled upon one in stage 5 by accident. I didn't even know this game had bonus stages lol

Done!!

Glad I have this on the Genesis Collection, I don't do loose carts and this game is stupid expensive with the box. I agree that it's a little overrated, but I love the music and it's nice to look at. I stumbled upon another bonus stage on the last level, but couldn't figure out how to get up the first ledge haha. Oh well, glad I finally went through this one.

Galdelico

Any of you guys have ever tried some PAL football/soccer games on an NTSC console?
To be more specific, I'd like to get both Sensible Soccer (I'm aware there is a SEGA CD version too, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle and the price) and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (which is PAL only, I belive), but I can't find solid informations on whether or not they're optimized, and so they could run too fast on a Japanese Mega Drive + Game Genie.

Thanks in advance! ^_-

I added some nice ones to my Genesis/Sega collection this month. Just a collection of awesome games that I had already beaten but wanted to have. A couple previous game of the month games...hopefully I can actually get them in the same month from now on.

dF3LPEL.jpg

I added some nice ones to my Genesis/Sega collection this month. Just a collection of awesome games that I had already beaten but wanted to have. A couple previous game of the month games...hopefully I can actually get them in the same month from now on.

dF3LPEL.jpg
The artwork for Shining in the Darkness, reminds me of Disneys: The Gummy Bears.

dF3LPEL.jpg

There are so many things that I am obsessed with in this one picture.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Congrats Morfeo!!!!!!!

Thanks David!

Done!!
Glad I have this on the Genesis Collection, I don't do loose carts and this game is stupid expensive with the box. I agree that it's a little overrated, but I love the music and it's nice to look at. I stumbled upon another bonus stage on the last level, but couldn't figure out how to get up the first ledge haha. Oh well, glad I finally went through this one.

And congrats to you as well! In the end we are at least three people beating Ristar this month. Not bad for the Switch-launch month.

dF3LPEL.jpg

This pic is pure awesomeness.

Khaz

Its up now

The pictures don't show up for me, but apparently the limited edition is a cardboard box and the classic edition is clamshell. The cardboard would have to be reaaally nice for me to consider investing $20 in it.

Sturdy Plastic clamshell > stupid cardboard box

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The pictures don't show up for me, but apparently the limited edition is a cardboard box and the classic edition is clamshell. The cardboard would have to be reaaally nice for me to consider investing $20 in it.

Sturdy Plastic clamshell > stupid cardboard box

Yeah, when I found that out I was like "Clamshell it is!".

And I was able to get rid of all of my gems with this order... finally! haha

NDPsycho

I went for the clamshell myself. I'd rather go for the classic grid in a plastic shell to keep it in line with my Pier Solar. Also got to finally use my gems, not sure what the free manga is, but I'll take free.

Krelian

Ordered the Classic edition. I hate cardboard boxes, no matter how sturdy and good looking they are. With my remaining Gems (didn't know I still had any) and a code for 10% off I was able to order it for $52.50. That's a good price, I think :)

IrishNinja

^not a bad price!
yeah my Pier Solar reprint is clamshell, but my Beggar Prince one's cardboard & this investor copy of Paprium is gonna likewise be cheapy cardboard. it's in good company on my shelf, at least!

*edit oh hey look at this

One of the funniest game buying moments I've had is related to Watermelon. When they shipped my Pier Solar copy without the case screws and then wanted me to send it back to put in.
Only took one more email to get them to just send some damn screws.

I do like how they are now selling through amazon as well, fulfilled by amazon. How I got my Dreamcast copy of Pier Solar in one day with free shipping.

Yeah I assumed that was the case since this shows up easily in a search, and their site itself even directs to the amazon page in their buy page, but figured I would just get what you asked for. :3

I would also assume going forward that they would have more stuff on amazon, but probably not their limited run first editions of games. Assume or hope, either one works.

Speaking of Paprium, is there any indication of what comes with the special joystick edition? Like it seems the game does come with it, but it doesn't mention which version or if it is a special one that is only with that. Of course I could be wrong and it's only the stick which is why they don't clarify which version.

eXistor

Concerning Paprium (I just pre-ordered it btw), if you use coupon code 9379000 during checkout, you get 10% off the game.

I've been playing my genesis model 1 again lately and noticed I'm getting a loud hum/buzz when there's no game audio/sound effects.

It seems the most common reason for this is a bad power supply, which I would believe since it's an original power supply from who knows when in the early 90s.

The problem is it seems to be pretty difficult to source a good quality new power supply for the genesis 1. Is it best to try to buy an "official" power supply that's older or try to find a newly made adapter that matches the specs of the official power supply?

Done!!

I'm always amazed at these games that I used to see by the dozens regularly when i went game hunting back in the early 2000s for under $5 and what they go for now. I thought ristar was a regular run of the mill $10 genesis game, maybe $20-$30 complete. I'm out of touch with retro prices on systems i don't collect for.

Peagles

Ordered the Classic edition. I hate cardboard boxes, no matter how sturdy and good looking they are. With my remaining Gems (didn't know I still had any) and a code for 10% off I was able to order it for $52.50. That's a good price, I think :)

Haha yeh $52.70 here. Took the sting out since I have no income at the moment!

Need to get back into modding so I can have some fun money :D

Here's some artwork from VG&CE for Phantasy Star III

1T4oaWt.jpg

Oh God. I didn't need to know that I needed to buy this.

I've been playing my genesis model 1 again lately and noticed I'm getting a loud hum/buzz when there's no game audio/sound effects.

It seems the most common reason for this is a bad power supply, which I would believe since it's an original power supply from who knows when in the early 90s.

The problem is it seems to be pretty difficult to source a good quality new power supply for the genesis 1. Is it best to try to buy an "official" power supply that's older or try to find a newly made adapter that matches the specs of the official power supply?

This sounds about right. I always opt for original power supplies personally but as long as the voltage, polarity, and current are right you should be okay. Just don't trust anything that says it works in an NES and Genesis. I don't trust anything modern that says it works on the Genesis. I'd rather use a generic power supply with appropriate specs.

Galdelico

I always suggest Retro Game Supply (if you're not located in the EU, they ship overseas too). I've been using one of their all-in-one PSU for my Japanese Mega Drive 2 + Mega CD 2 - only for convenience and space-saving, as both my original power bricks worked fine - and it works flawlessly. IIRC, a few gaffers purchased from them, and they all reported back very positive impressions.

Khaz

If the noise varies in pitch and volume depending on what's on screen, the common reason is the Composite signal bleeding into the audio wires in your terribly designed RGB cable. A vsync cable or a properly shielded cable (with coax wires) should remove any interference you hear.

Top Bottom