• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Because there isn't a next time and it says End on the last page. whoa.

I hope it doesn't mean hiatus.

It always says end on the last page.

1EbLj.jpg

ryan13ts

Hunter X Hunter:

Just like it was mentioned earlier, I got a very Claymore-ish feeling from the revelation that there's a larger world outside the one most people know of. This prospect could lead to into a fucking amazing arc if done correctly, but considering how long (and I use "long" almost sarcastically) Togashi has written without a hiatus this time, I'm doubtful if we'll see it any time soon.. if ever. It would be such a kick in the balls if he decides to end the series after revealing something so huge.

I'm also weary of how the next arc could work without Killua in the picture. The Gon/Killua relationship is so dynamic, it might feel like a major component is missing without him.

Big One

Banned
Hunter x Hunter

This kind of reminds me of YYH's final arc, but hopefully this means we'll get to see everyone (except for Kuwabara) back again.

Bossun

Hunter X Hunter:

Just like it was mentioned earlier, I got a very Claymore-ish feeling from the revelation that there's a larger world outside the one most people know of. This prospect could lead to into a fucking amazing arc if done correctly, but considering how long (and I use "long" almost sarcastically) Togashi has written without a hiatus this time, I'm doubtful if we'll see it any time soon.. if ever. It would be such a kick in the balls if he decides to end the series after revealing something so huge.

I'm also weary of how the next arc could work without Killua in the picture. The Gon/Killua relationship is so dynamic, it might feel like a major component is missing without him.

Maybe he'll be replaced by kurapika (lol) and we'll finally know more about his story and what happened to kuroro's gang

Big One

Banned
Hunter x Hunter

Also just in case people are confused by the extremely shitty translation, Chimera Ants aren't extra-terrestrials or anything like that. They're just not native to the current HxH world. The "outside" is just like a New World type situation beyond the seas. It's not even a Claymore-like situation.

Kusagari

Hunter x Hunter

Also just in case people are confused by the extremely shitty translation, Chimera Ants aren't extra-terrestrials or anything like that. They're just not native to the current HxH world. The "outside" is just like a New World type situation beyond the seas. It's not even a Claymore-like situation.

Which makes me wonder if Meruem is really nothing special, considering he's the end-all in current HxH power levels.

Kreed

Hunter X Hunter 338:

These latest string of chapters continue to surprise me. I wasn't expecting Gon to meet up with Killua at the very beginning, and I definitely wasn't expecting Gon to meet up with Ging again in a single chapter (I figured the tree climbing would last a couple of chapters/have some fights mixed in).

The "bigger world" revelation could be a huge move for the series though, no pun intended. This could be Hunter X Hunter's time skip without the time skip.

I'm reminded of Claymore. I wonder if we'll ever get to see the other side.

Claymore's "other side" can join the ranks of Berserk's "Elf Island", Ippo's "World Stage Debut" at this point.

The way Hunter X Hunter is going right now we'll see the "other side" in five chapters or less.

Big One

Banned
Hunter X Hunter 338:

These latest string of chapters continue to surprise me. I wasn't expecting Gon to meet up with Killua at the very beginning, and I definitely wasn't expecting Gon to meet up with Ging again in a single chapter (I figured the tree climbing would last a couple of chapters/have some fights mixed in).

The "bigger world" revelation could be a huge move for the series though, no pun intended. This could be Hunter X Hunter's time skip without the time skip.
If this is the case, how long is Togashi really planning to do this series?! If for a long time, that's cool, but he's destined to go on hiatus sometime and his drawings are as shitty as they ever could be for the most part. I might just have to read HxH in volumes for now on.

gunbo13

Bleach (ch483)

-Yo, I'm going to seal you. Nuh-uh, no you aint.

BTNzi.jpg

Can someone explain this panel? I don't have a fucking clue what I'm looking at.

So big dog OG makes a pretty bad ass line. Always good stuff. Then we zip back to Ichigo vs. Orange (or Coconut in this case). Hey, go bankai. OK, derp. Anyone remember when it was like a big deal when Ichigo went bankai? Now, he does it like changing his socks. Even super power up awesome DBZ had a little build up. Anyway, he tries to seal his bankai for some reason and Ichigo just brushes it off. Ya know, you really know an MC is overpowered when he monologues during all this crap. Coconut then does some acid rain and we get a vice-cap all messed up.

Overall, this is so far very boring. There is just no build up and it's by the numbers. It doesn't help that we just came off an awful throw-away arc. Kubo needs a bad ass antagonist and fast.

ch in 3 (why did I write such a long post about Bleach?)

ryan13ts

Maybe he'll be replaced by kurapika (lol) and we'll finally know more about his story and what happened to kuroro's gang

There's a good possibility of this happening if Killua isn't a major player in the next arc. I'd actually be all for it, since there would be a good chance of Chrollo & his crew popping up again with Kurapika around. I just hope Leorio comes a long for the ride too, his character has been pretty much backseated since the start of Greed Island, which is a real shame. I've been super curious about his abilities after that awesome punch he gave Gin, so it would be amazing to see Leorio doing some real battling with nen for the first time.

Bebpo

Banned
One Piece

I kind of don't like the reveal that it actually was the Akainu/Aoikiji fight island. Only because Oda JUST introduced this story of their fight like 20 chapters ago and then OH WOW, AT THE ISLAND OF IT. It's just kind of rushed. It's the kind of thing that if they had arrived at an island Oda had brought up in a story 200 chapters ago would've been a really cool thing. Here it just feels forced. Smoker a bit too, since he made it look like they'd fight, but then Luffy dodged him, but suddenly here's there anyhow a little later.

Otherwise I like everything else about the arc. The kids, the smoke mask guys, the logia boss, the weird animals on the island, the headless samurai. It's all classic OP great stuff.

Big One

Banned
Hunter x Hunter

Anyone think Paritson is actually a Chimera Ant (what a TWEEST) from the "Outside"? It would make a lot of sense, since it was mentioned that Paritson comes from the world of darkness by Moo-Moo Dude a couple of chapters ago, and I highly doubt Togashi gonna leave that plot thread behind. I can see Paritson and Jiro being the villains of this coming arc.

upandaway

HxH

Killua.. what? Did they really just do that?

What the hell? He really left him? Like, for real? And Gon being apathetic about it? He was so all "gotta introduce Killua".

Am I missing something here? Did they not just break up only to meet "here and there"? Did they only talk about breaking up till Gon finishes with Ging? Really didn't seem like it.

All my confuse.

All of it.

Articalys

Another week, another round of manga rankings, Feb. 20-26. Nothing particularly interesting this week though.
*1, 141,042 *,312,865 Fairy Tail vol.31
*2, 135,581 *,135,581 Soul Eater vol.21
*3, 111,984 *,111,984 Glass Mask vol.48
*4, 108,212 *,108,212 Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu vol.14
*5, 104,322 2,833,993 One Piece vol.65
*6, 101,386 *,219,196 Ahiru no Sora vol.34
*7, *96,966 *,*96,966 Billy Bat vol.8
*8, *81,225 *,*81,537 Gakuen Alice vol.26
*9, *79,320 *,*79,685 Tenshi 1/2 Houteishiki vol.2
10, *74,455 *,*74,919 Shitsuji-sama no Okiniiri vol.12

11, *73,781 *,154,767 Mahou Sensei Negima! vol.37
12, *67,653 *,*67,653 Hozuki no Reitetsu vol.4
13, *55,674 *,*55,674 Kanojo wa Uso wo Aishisugiteru vol.8
14, *54,494 *,*54,494 Ouji to Majo to Himegimi to vol.6
15, *53,933 *,*53,933 Liar Game vol.14
16, *52,346 *,107,059 Dear Boys Act III vol.9
17, *51,415 *,120,121 Kingdom vol.25
18, *49,209 *,*49,531 Orange Chocolate vol.8
19, *46,883 *,101,029 Capeta vol.27
20, *46,391 *,*46,391 Hyakushou Kizoku vol.2

21, *44,108 *,*44,108 Kokoro Botan vol.7
22, *42,998 *,989,790 Naruto vol.59
23, *42,216 *,*42,216 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo vol.7
24, *40,121 *,*40,121 Namida Usagi - Seifuku no Kataomoi vol.9
25, *38,951 1,052,913 Kimi ni Todoke vol.15
26, *38,319 *,*38,569 Issho ni Neyouyo vol.6
27, *34,404 *,*34,404 5-ji kara 9-ji made vol.4
28, *33,157 *,*33,157 Tora to Ookami vol.6
29, *32,164 *,116,998 Tonari no Atashi vol.9
30, *31,246 *,*64,351 Bartender vol.21

Bleach (ch483)

Hey, go bankai. OK, derp. Anyone remember when it was like a big deal when Ichigo went bankai? Now, he does it like changing his socks.

Overall, this is so far very boring. There is just no build up and it's by the numbers. It doesn't help that we just came off an awful throw-away arc. Kubo needs a bad ass antagonist and fast.

I dont mean to be a Bleach apologist, but you make it sound like its bad (people change socks that often?). Last time I checked whenever Ichigo goes bankai its like drool worthy moment of Number One. Just look at last arc, or for that matter last year, only once did he Bankai. Its been greatly missed. Bankai had just as much effect as it had when he used it in the fight against Byakuya as it does now, meaning it never once went to the realm of boredom.

Kubo has given an excellent antagonist, who else goes through such emotional turmoil in one arc and is now litrally at the top of his game in the subsequent arc? I can only think of one, and that is Ichigo Kurosaki, and not to mention utilizing his top tier skills right off at the start of an arc? Epic incarnate.

I dont mean to be a Bleach apologist, but you make it sound like its bad (people change socks that often?). Last time I checked whenever Ichigo goes bankai its like drool worthy moment of Number One. Just look at last arc, or for that matter last year, only once did he Bankai. Its been greatly missed. Bankai had just as much effect as it had when he used it in the fight against Byakuya as it does now, meaning it never once went to the realm of boredom.

Kubo has given an excellent antagonist, who else goes through such emotional turmoil in one arc and is now litrally at the top of his game in the subsequent arc? I can only think of one, and that is Ichigo Kurosaki, and not to mention utilizing his top tier skills right off at the start of an arc? Epic incarnate.

I was thinking "Oh, this post is pretty well thought out" but then I saw it was written by DTL and now I'm confused.

Kreed

Hunter X Hunter:

If this is the case, how long is Togashi really planning to do this series?! If for a long time, that's cool, but he's destined to go on hiatus sometime and his drawings are as shitty as they ever could be for the most part. I might just have to read HxH in volumes for now on.

Probably until he's ready to retire/has made all the money he can off the series. Considering Togashi's age (which is "over the hill" if Bakuman is to be believed) and how long he has been banking off of Hunter x Hunter, I seriously doubt he will be doing another long series after Hunter X Hunter is over. Ending Hunter X Hunter any time soon doesn't make sense for him financially either, and I doubt Jump readers would support another one of his series in the same way after YuYu Hakusho and all the Hunter X Hunter hiatuses. Plus if One Piece can go 1000+ chapters (at the rate it's going) why can't Hunter X Hunter go 600+, especially considering both series started at around the same time?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Hey MangaGAF!

I wanted to know what you guys suggest is a first Manga to start reading? I don't know much about Manga either - but I really want to get into a few series over time.

I was looking into two - Soul Eater and Death Note, however I feel like I might be too behind to 'catch up', if you will (but I don't know how long each has gone on for at this point).

Any help would be appreciated!

gunbo13

I was thinking "Oh, this post is pretty well thought out" but then I saw it was written by DTL and now I'm confused.
Triple reverse troll. You don't know what the fuck is going on.

You guys also might realize that he confused antagonist with protagonist. That's my own troll on DTL's triple reverse. My work here is done.
z211Pl.png

Bankai is also in no way as impacting now as it was during SS arc. You have to be out of your mind. ;)

iavi

Hey MangaGAF!

I wanted to know what you guys suggest is a first Manga to start reading? I don't know much about Manga either - but I really want to get into a few series over time.

I was looking into two - Soul Eater and Death Note, however I feel like I might be too behind to 'catch up', if you will (but I don't know how long each has gone on for at this point).

The best manga reading one can have is a marathon, if I've learned anything. The more available the better. The chapters fly much faster than you'd think.

As for recs, you'll need to specify what genres/plot types you're looking for. Death Note and Soul Eater are vastly different, and it doesn't seem as if you're to sure on them yourself.

Mangaupdates.com is a great place to get a general idea of what you want to read, as its easily the most comprehensive manga compendium that I know of, and is always up-to-date. While there, you can search specific plot traits that may interest you, since the genre lingo would probably be lost to you being new to manga.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The best manga reading one can have is a marathon, if I've learned anything. The more available the better.

As for recs, you'll need to specify what genres/plot types you're looking for. Death Note and Soul Eater are vastly different, and it doesn't seem as if you're to sure on them yourself.

Sci-Fi, Magic/Fantasy are genre types I'd like.

Plot wise, anything is cool with me.

iavi

Prison School: 22

It just keeps a escalatin & escalatin, haha. Gakuto stays being the ideal bro, no question.

--

@haziqonfire, I updated my previous post for you a bit, bro. Seems like you caught it before the edit.

Ceebs

Go ahead and start Berserk. Best fantasy manga out there IMO.

Even if it takes you 10 years to read it you will still catch up at some point.

Also anyone have some suggestions for cute/lighthearted shoujo stuff? I have probably read all the obvious ones at this point, so if you have some hidden gems it would be appreciated.

gunbo13

Go ahead and start Berserk. Best fantasy manga out there IMO.

Even if it takes you 10 years to read it you will still catch up at some point.
Maybe FMA as a complete one. A good easy shounen to digest.
Also anyone have some suggestions for cute/lighthearted shoujo stuff? I have probably read all the obvious ones at this point, so if you have some hidden gems it would be appreciated.
Heh, survivor is laughing out there somewhere.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Prison School: 22

It just keeps a escalatin & escalatin, haha. Gakuto stays being the ideal bro, no question.

--

@haziqonfire, I updated my previous post for you a bit, bro. Seems like you caught it before the edit.

Thanks for the link!

I was looking into this as well - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. It's Miyazaki and my friend told me about it, seems like a good pick. Any thoughts?

I'll look into Berserk as well!

Triple reverse troll. You don't know what the fuck is going on.
That's my own troll on DTL's triple reverse. My work here is done.
http://i.imgur.com/z211Pl.png[/IG]

[spoiler]Bankai is also in no way as impacting now as it was during SS arc. You have to be out of your mind. ;)[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8szduYHnP1qbxqfpo1_250.jpg

I can not see how Bankai has lots its appeal since Soul Society. He hadnt even mastered it yet and its only improved to its ultimate level now, mixed with those fullbring accents. Even in the Arrancar saga it was still appealing, mix it with a hollow mask and cool. Not to mention everytime he did it he was on the verge of being defeated and at one time, killed.

gunbo13

Gunbo's Embarrassing List of Shoujo with Cute Shit and Bubbles
Aishiteruze Baby (3)
Beyond the Blindfold (2)
Dengeki Daisy (2)
Do xx to Me! (2)
For You in Full Blossom (3)
His and Her Circumstances (2)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! (3)
Kimi ni Todoke (3)
Koi dano Ai dano (3)
Lovely Complex (3)
Monkey High (3)
Oresama Teacher (2)
Ouran Host Club (3)
Red-haired Snow White (1)
Reimei no Arcana (1)
Say I Love You (2)
Special A (3)

I removed the more action ones. Scale from 1-3. 3 being all fluffy and 1 being more shounen. Maybe you haven't read one of the threes. But from your past posts, I know you have read a good amount of the above. Best I can do though, sorry.

One Piece
Just a random question but do people still hate Franky's new design in One Piece? I hated it at first but...he's just too awesome to hate!
And Brook's been growing on me too. I mean, just watching him step over the decimated bodies while sipping tea...

GDXoo.png

Hunter x Hunter
I hope that world map wasn't to scale and was more of an exaggeration because it's a bit ridiculous/dumb. Creatures larger than the current continents, giant trees, and no one can see them?!

gunbo13

I can not see how Bankai has lots its appeal since Soul Society. He hadnt even mastered it yet and its only improved to its ultimate level now, mixed with those fullbring accents. Even in the Arrancar saga it was still appealing, mix it with a hollow mask and cool. Not to mention everytime he did it he was on the verge of being defeated and at one time, killed.
Let's see.

SS Bankai - Built up for most of the best arc in Bleach. Uses a technique passed down from the best character in Bleach (Urahara) that involved some crazy ass non-stop training. Was released in one of the best fights in Bleach and went against every known Bankai in existence. It was labeled weak at first and then turned into something special. This is especially true to the appearance of Hichigo.

Ch483 Bankai - Ichigo did it cause somebody asked him to.

Same appeal? Sure, why not.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm liking this new set of baddies in bleach, hope they start killing people.

And One Piece is awesome again, this arc seems very good already.

Hey MangaGAF!

Were you ever an anime fan? The two mediums are pretty connected, so finding out what you liked in that could give us a good idea of what to recommend.

Let's see.

SS Bankai - Built up for most of the best arc in Bleach. Uses a technique passed down from the best character in Bleach (Urahara) that involved some crazy ass non-stop training. Was released in one of the best fights in Bleach and went against every known Bankai in existence. It was labeled weak at first and then turned into something special. This is especially true to the appearance of Hichigo.

Ch483 Bankai - Ichigo did it cause somebody asked him to.

Same appeal? Sure, why not.

I agree with Gunbo. It's just too predictable.

Ceebs

Gunbo's Embarrassing List of Shoujo with Cute Shit and Bubbles
Aishiteruze Baby (3)
Beyond the Blindfold (2)
Dengeki Daisy (2)
Do xx to Me! (2)
For You in Full Blossom (3)
His and Her Circumstances (2)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! (3)
Kimi ni Todoke (3)
Koi dano Ai dano (3)
Lovely Complex (3)
Monkey High (3)
Oresama Teacher (2)
Ouran Host Club (3)
Red-haired Snow White (1)
Reimei no Arcana (1)
Say I Love You (2)
Special A (3)

I removed the more action ones. Scale from 1-3. 3 being all fluffy and 1 being more shounen. Maybe you haven't read one of the threes. But from your past posts, I know you have read a good amount of the above. Best I can do though, sorry.

Thanks for the list. Read pretty much all of those except Special A and For You in Full Blossom, but I can't do the gender bender/crossdressing stuff, so I am going to try Special A.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Were you ever an anime fan? The two mediums are pretty connected, so finding out what you liked in that could give us a good idea of what to recommend.

Not too much. Though, I'm pretty open to anything.

I've watched a few things like Summer Wars, Miyazaki films like Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, I did watch Yu Yu Hakusho as well and a few episodes of Soul Eater.

gunbo13

Thanks for the list. Read pretty much all of those except Special A and For You in Full Blossom, but I can't do the gender bender/crossdressing stuff, so I am going to try Special A.
That's like 98% of shoujo. ;)

I've watched a few things like Summer Wars, Miyazaki films like Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, I did watch Yu Yu Hakusho as well and a few episodes of Soul Eater.
I still recommend Fullmetal Alchemist.

survivor

Banned

Read Planetes. Trust me on this. You will never find a better sci-fi manga than Planetes. Also watch the anime after you finished reading.

As for fantasy/magic stuff then Berserk/Ubel Blatt should be fine. Also I'm guessing you haven't read/watched Fullmetal Alchemist? If not then read the manga. It's top notch

Ceebs

That's like 98% of shoujo. ;)

The male lead looking like a woman is not quite the same thing thank you very much :)

I read through a few chapters of some of the "top rated" shoujo on a few sites over the weekend and it was almost all awful. Pretty much confirms I do not have the same taste as the 15 year old girls out there.

Hmmm, well shounen stuff like Dragonball Z is usually what gets people into anime/manga in the first place, so you could try the Soul Eater manga (and check out this thread I made if you want.)

Beyond that, it's really anyone's guess what you would like. If you can handle gore, I would say the Battle Royale manga. If you want an awesome comedy series, you could do Great Teacher Onizuka. Death Note is cool too since it's super tense and filled with mind games.

Don't want to overwhelm you, so I'll leave it at that for now. Try out a bunch of stuff and see what sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom